PDA

View Full Version : Pattern Reading help needed

Zengirl
12-20-2006, 03:54 PM
I have an easy question about reading knitting patterns. When a pattern says "work 8 rows in st st", does it mean 8 finished rows of stockinette (i.e. is each knit/purl combination "one" row) or will I just knit a row then purl a row four times? I think I'm complicating something that's very easy.
Thanks for the help!

dplantlady
12-20-2006, 05:40 PM
Each time you complete a row, put a hatch mark on a piece of paper. When you've got 8 hatch marks, you're done! (with that part, anyway) :teehee: Easy!

Happy knitting!

Diane

psammeadred
12-20-2006, 06:44 PM
As far as I know, "one row" always and forever means going from one end of the object to the other end. (Watch someone prove me wrong...) So in your case, it's knit, purl, knit, purl, knit, purl, knit, purl.

Ravennwings
12-20-2006, 09:39 PM
I had wondered the same thing, thanks! ^_^

Usually, I just glance at the pattern, stare at the pic, glance at the pattern, stare at the pic, wing it from there, and hope it turns out okay, lol

hunterjenn
12-20-2006, 11:51 PM
As far as I know, "one row" always and forever means going from one end of the object to the other end. (Watch someone prove me wrong...) So in your case, it's knit, purl, knit, purl, knit, purl, knit, purl.

Yes, definitely. Knitting across is 1 row, purling across is another row.