PDA

View Full Version : Skill Level?

madametj
12-21-2006, 04:05 PM
how would one determine what skill level they are at? i've been knitting for like a year and always considered myself to be a beginner, but i was just thinking maybe i'm past that now, maybe i'm.....intermediate?

lets see, i can cast on, knit, purl, increase, decrease, yarn over, slip stiches, change colors, seed stitch, drop stitch, twisted drop stitch, bind off

i dont know how to do cables, never made socks, and i've never made an actual garment (blouse, sweater, etc...)

so where do u think that puts me? advanced beginner? intermediate? :shrug:

spinnknit
12-21-2006, 04:10 PM
Pretty good. :cheering:

Done socks? With what you have listed, you could easily do socks. If you are afraid to turn a heel, then do tubes!

madametj
12-21-2006, 04:16 PM
Pretty good. :cheering:

Done socks? With what you have listed, you could easily do socks. If you are afraid to turn a heel, then do tubes!

:thinking: nope, never done socks (better add that to the list... :teehee: ) i dont have any sock yarn, but i might try some tubes though :wink:

redwitch
12-21-2006, 09:23 PM
I reckon advanced beginner at least but probably once you can do two or three of the following I'd say you could qualify as intermediate.
Cable (extra points if without a cable needle), mini-cable, intarsia, Fair Isle, knitting on DPNs, in the round on a circular, in the round on two circulars, magic loop, double knitting, socks, two items in the round inside each other, create your own pattern, knit both English and Continental, I-cord, lace, know multiple ways to cast on and off and increase and decrease and when you prefer which, pick up stitches, seaming, read a chart, hmmm anything else?

The difference between being able to do these and not isn't some natural aptitude for all these techniques... it is just that you have done them! You don't need super abilities to do a cable but you do need to do them. Lots of tutorials/pictures/articles explaining these techniques on the Internet.

Sarah

Mulderknitter
12-21-2006, 09:58 PM
I would say intermediate. if you can make a go at some tube socks or such (which I am hating!) you are more than there!

PinkRoses
12-22-2006, 01:21 AM
God, I remember seeing a list somewhere that describes the different levels. I'll search my laptop and see if I can find that list somewhere. I know I've seen it within the last half year or so. :eyebrow:

PinkRoses
12-22-2006, 01:31 AM
http://www.yarnstandards.com/skill.html

This is the best I could find tonight. I know I saw a more detailed list before but I just can't find it. :shrug: :doh:

jess_hawk
12-22-2006, 02:14 PM
Wow that puts me at advanced intermediate/experienced! And here I'd kinda still considered myself an advanced beginner getting close to intermediate! :cheering: I feel all happy and special now.

Keep knitting - its definitely not hard to get experienced. All you have to do is not be afraid to try something new!

janelanespaintbrush
12-22-2006, 02:43 PM
Eek. Well no matter what it says, I'm going to consider myself a beginner until I reach at least the end of my first year! (I'll probably adjust that to second year after I reach my first anniversary. :teehee:) There is too much I don't know to consider myself intermediate or experienced, even though I've done some (but not all) of the things from both lists. Plus, I just want to keep my newbie status as long as possible. 'Cause I like being a baby. Wah!

nonny2t
12-22-2006, 03:54 PM
I just found a blanket pattern for the baby that said intermediate and looked at it and thought, hey, I can do this and I don't think I am an intermediate. I just go pattern to pattern with what I want to do and for me, I don't worry about skill level. I just learn new stuff when I want and need to.

redwitch
12-23-2006, 09:38 PM
Check this one out -

http://www.theanticraft.com/difficulty.htm

Sarah

madametj
12-24-2006, 01:44 AM
Eek. Well no matter what it says, I'm going to consider myself a beginner until I reach at least the end of my first year!

your FIRST YEAR? :thud: wow, i would've sworn u were an expert.

Plus, I just want to keep my newbie status as long as possible. 'Cause I like being a baby. Wah

dont we all? :frog:

ArtLady1981
12-28-2006, 04:17 AM
What's in a Title anyway? Beginner, advanced beginner, intermediate, advanced!

Consider this story: The "beginner knitter" who completed a cabled pullover because she didn't know it was above her "skill level"! She didn't know she couldn't do it...so she just went ahead and DID IT! :hug:

I think the only good purpose for the titles "Intermediate" etc. stamped on the pattern is to alert the knitter that she (he) may need to "bone up" first! And: THINK and PLAN the work BEFORE launching forth!

Challenge yourself! :eyebrow: Get help from books, websites and your LYS.
Take a class! Join a Knitters Guild if available!

I am kinda mentoring new knitters at my congregation, and one in particular has only crocheted up til today. I gave her this website (knittinghelp.com) and guess what she did? She taught herself the Basics: casting on and the knit stitch...both from the video clips! [I had forgotten to tell her she needed 'my help' to learn casting on...so she just went ahead and DID IT!] Who knew? :teehee:

madametj
01-21-2007, 12:36 AM
I reckon advanced beginner at least but probably once you can do two or three of the following I'd say you could qualify as intermediate.
Cable (extra points if without a cable needle), mini-cable, intarsia, Fair Isle, knitting on DPNs, in the round on a circular, in the round on two circulars, magic loop, double knitting, socks, two items in the round inside each other, create your own pattern, knit both English and Continental, I-cord, lace, know multiple ways to cast on and off and increase and decrease and when you prefer which, pick up stitches, seaming, read a chart, hmmm anything else?

The difference between being able to do these and not isn't some natural aptitude for all these techniques... it is just that you have done them! You don't need super abilities to do a cable but you do need to do them. Lots of tutorials/pictures/articles explaining these techniques on the Internet.

Sarah

You can add: in the round on a circular, magic loop, and double knitting to my list! :woot: I think i can call myself intermediate now :thumbsup:

(oh and *maybe* "creating your own pattern" too, but all my patterns are so simple i dont know if they can even be considered patterns! the only one that I think would be useful is my iPod cozy pattern)

auburnchick
01-21-2007, 12:50 AM
Gotta tell you that I agree with your dilemma. It's kind of like trying to place labels on people without looking past the surface. Examining a patter closely will sometimes reveal that it's not as hard as it seems.

I consider myself an advanced beginner. I tend to eyeball patterns to see if they look too intimidating.

I'm working on my first sock and enjoying the challenges. I won't be up for anything that requires piecing because that would seem too much like sewing, which I'm not too good at.

I am pretty much an instruction-follower, preferring to have the steps right in front of me. But, I'm enjoying the progress I'm making with each project I tackle.

ArtLady1981
01-21-2007, 03:58 AM
When I think about myself in comparison to the World of Knitters around me, I truly feel like a beginner! I have been knitting since 1970...and there is so much I have not yet tried. For one, I have never tried to knit a sock of any kind! Nor have I tried Entrelac, and everyone says it is very easy. Tried figuring it out by studying a "how to" knit book. Duh. Could not grasp it, or maybe I was just too tired. Anyway, I try my best to figure out my projects ahead of time...with no questions left unanswered...and if I can't figure it out...then it is just NO FUN...and I move on to a pattern that is not so complex. There are too many 'knitter friendly' patterns to chose from...don't need to bother with patterns that are written horribly, or are too complex for me.

A designer I really love is Elsebeth Lavold. She says this is her primary objective: She wants her knitters to ENJOY knitting her designs!

That is what HAPPY KNITTING means! :cheering:

madametj
01-21-2007, 09:37 PM
what is entrelac?

Silver
01-22-2007, 08:37 AM
I hate, hate, hate this stigma of "knitting skill level". I think it can hold back new knitters from trying something new because they're told they can't do it. What a silly concept! How do you learn if you don't try something new? Why can't a new knitter knit lace? Can they follow directions? Obviously they can because they're knitting! If you can follow directions, you can try anything!! I haven't come across any knitting directions that were just too difficult to do. Some took more concentration than others, sure, but it all CAN be done.

This idea is the backbone to my sock knitting tutorial. I proudly proclaim that it is a sock knitting class for NEW knitters. I swear all you have to know how to do is knit and purl. I explain everything else just as if I was THERE with you. And it works, as testified by the numerous emails I get monthly. New knitters who have only knitted scarves are wearing perfectly shaped socks that they knitted, by themselves.

Knitting skill level? Pttttttth! http://www.extremefunnypictures.com/comment/tongue_smile.gif

what is entrelac?
Entrelac is a kind of knitting technique that produces a woven knit look.... like this (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter05/PATTdanica.html).

ann in ma
01-22-2007, 08:53 AM
I'll chime in here and say that probably the most important skill (in my opinion) is recognizing mistakes and then being able to figure out how to fix them. If you can spot a mistake, and know what book to look at to learn how to fix it, you can get yourself out of any jam. I think the frustration comes in when you have to frog because you made a simple, fix-able mistake.