PDA

View Full Version : Europe?

HamburgKnitter
12-23-2006, 05:59 AM
I think the europeans are spread pretty thin here on the forum...but who all is there? It would be nice to see who is at least in the same time zone! :happydance:

Lieke
12-27-2006, 07:33 AM
*waves* I am. I live in the Netherlands.

HamburgKnitter
12-27-2006, 02:19 PM
Well, hello over there! :waving: I go to Amsterdam and Groningen fairly regularly....in fact, we almost moved to Amsterdam, but landed in Hamburg instead!

Lieke
12-28-2006, 07:05 AM
Well, Amsterdam and Groningen are a bit far from where I live (Rosmalen, near 's-Hertogenbosch), but I go to college near the German border (Nijmegen)

catownedanna
12-29-2006, 04:00 AM
This post's Swedish word/phrase: "Jag bor i Sverige" = "I live in Sweden"
_____

:waving: Another European here! I'm in Malmö, Sweden.

Ich spreche ein bisschen Deutsch aber I habe jahrelang kein Deutsch gesprochen oder gelesen. Ich finde es schwierig in Deutsch zu denken als mein Kopf erst in Englisch denkt. Ich habe viel von der Grammatik vergessen...

Vielleicht soll ich ein Buch in Deutsch gelesen? :??

HamburgKnitter
12-29-2006, 04:18 AM
Hallo da im Norden! :cheering:

We can almost wave at each other over the Baltic Sea.... :waving:

German is *really* hard to learn. I've been living here for almost 2 decades and while I would say I'm fluent, my grammar still isn't perfect. :doh: I read alot in German, and watching german TV helped me learn alot too.

Lieke
12-29-2006, 06:52 AM
Well, I can read german, I understand someone who speaks german, but writing it or talking in german is a bit to difficult for me. I used to be able to do that, but it's been to long since I used it. Although dutch sounds a lot like german, it's not the same at all.

HamburgKnitter
12-30-2006, 08:43 AM
When I go to Amsterdam, I find it very easy to read signs, menus, simple things like that - dutch words often times are similar to either german or english, so if you can speak those two languages you can usually get the general meaning of something written in dutch.

But I don't understand a word of spoken dutch - beyond "thanks" and "hello" anyway! :shrug:

Lieke
12-31-2006, 05:01 AM
well, but I've had german-class in high school, so I should know a bit of german. (shame on me I forgot most of it :oops: )

Virtuella
12-31-2006, 06:31 AM
Norway and Stavanger here!

I am able to read and listen to German and Swedish, but I cant talk it.

HamburgKnitter
12-31-2006, 07:52 AM
Hade bra!

(The extent of my norwegian.) :teehee:

Lieke
01-02-2007, 03:41 AM
that's more than my norwegian

benicia
01-03-2007, 06:17 PM
I am in Belgrade, Serbia

Virtuella
01-05-2007, 07:46 PM
Hade bra!

(The extent of my norwegian.) :teehee:

You are clever!
Auf wiedersehen! :??

VickyS456
01-11-2007, 05:12 AM
Hello from H'sum, The Netherlands :muah:

TyroneMinx
01-11-2007, 07:47 AM
I am an American (born and raised near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania) but for the past four and a half years, I've been living in Northern Ireland. Sorry, I know a smidgen of German and no Swedish or Dutch. I'm fairly good with French and I can get by in Latin.

HamburgKnitter
01-11-2007, 05:40 PM
Latin....wow. I'm impressed!

Living in Europe, I find that I can say 6 words in languages of countries I've been to: hello, goodbye, thanks, beer, and two rude words that I wouldn't want to repeat here.

Lieke
01-12-2007, 06:54 AM
well, living in the netherlands means being educated in english, french and german, but it's amazing how quick you're able to forget that :oops:

TyroneMinx
01-12-2007, 07:27 PM
I did my undergraduate degree in History focusing on medieval Church history. Latin was helpful. French was my minor, and I was taught by a wonderful woman who was born in Northern France.

I spent two weeks in Croatia and know how to say only two things: Thank you and a very rude sentence about a dog and someone's mother. It's amazing how many situations one can navigate with just those two bits.

Both were taught to me by a fellow student (a native of Zagreb) over a pitcher of beer in a bar in a small town in Western Pennsylvania (where our university was located).

truenorth
01-23-2007, 03:38 PM
Hej pa dej dar i Sverige! Jag bor i -- I live in central Washington state. Lived in Sweden 2 1/2 years and became quite fluent, but that was a while ago. In late March we are headed to Germany. Husband's daughter and family are in little town of Kashofen. I am hoping I can get by with a few words of German as I think it's fun to at least TRY! At least now that I am learning to knit, I'll be able to fill some time on the long flight (Seattle/London/Frankfurt).

sig
01-24-2007, 12:11 PM
hola from spain!!! it´s sooo hard to find people that likes to knitt near me... anyway, i speak german, english and spanish of course. besos! :muah:

Amalia
01-27-2007, 06:54 PM
Hello!
I am from Greece! I can speak English and some French.
I wander why young (=less than 70 years old..) people dont knit here... :(

But anyway!
I do :)
Happy knitting everyone!

AnnaT
01-28-2007, 01:36 PM
I am an American but am living permanently in Greece. I just started knitting and love it.

Hi, Amalia! :waving: I'm younger than 70!

Nikita-amimono
02-17-2007, 06:49 AM
Hi, I'm Niki and I live in Italy.

Amalia, I agree with you.
I don't know any young knitters here in Italy.

I'm 40 years old and I know a woman who is 45 years old and she knits.
Well, I wouldn't say that we are OLD, but I would like to get to know younger knitters who likes to knit something cute and funky, you know.

I go to 2 yarn shops here in my city and the owners are in their late 60's.

Well, I guess the boom of knitting has not arrived yet.

Ciao,

Niki

cyppie
02-28-2007, 10:34 AM
Hello everybody

I'm originally from Scotland but have been lived in Cyprus for 3 years.
Knitted many years ago and have just recently started again. I am really enjoying it again.
To my Greek friend ashamed to say I only know about ten greek words but trying hard to learn finding it very difficult!

Angela :muah:

AnnaT
02-28-2007, 01:04 PM
Hello everybody

I'm originally from Scotland but have been lived in Cyprus for 3 years.
Knitted many years ago and have just recently started again. I am really enjoying it again.
To my Greek friend ashamed to say I only know about ten greek words but trying hard to learn finding it very difficult!

Angela :muah:

I also find Greek very difficult to learn. I didn't have so much trouble with German when I took it in high school and college. I have reached the point where I can understand some and read some, but my speaking is horrifying.

Krautie
03-10-2007, 10:46 AM
Hi :waving:

Here comes a German knitter, living in the south of Germany near the Lake Constance :-D

As I was a child my grandmother teached me how to knit and I did it all the years and enjoyed it very much....... a few months ago I started to discover English knitting sites and it is so amazing for me!

I feel like I discovered a new continent :cheering:

truenorth
03-10-2007, 02:39 PM
Hi Krautie!
My husband and I are flying to Germany on the 25th of this month to visit daughter and family in a village near the French border (Kashofen). She had second baby this week so we will now get to see two grandkids. Unfortunately, we can only stay about 9 days so we won't have time to get to Bavaria. Hoping to find a nice yarn shop somewhere. I love Addi circular needles so I wonder if they might be a better buy in Germany rather than here in Washington state U.S. I speak Swedish, too, but only a few words of German. I am trying to cram, but time is short! I had good intentions 6 months ago! :wall:
Lynnea

Nikita-amimono
03-10-2007, 03:57 PM
Hi :waving:

Here comes a German knitter, living in the south of Germany near the Lake Constance :-D

As I was a child my grandmother teached me how to knit and I did it all the years and enjoyed it very much....... a few months ago I started to discover English knitting sites and it is so amazing for me!

I feel like I discovered a new continent :cheering:

Hi, Krautie!!
Welcome to the Forum :hug:

I live in Northern Italy.
Aren't we almost neighbours, are we??

Niki

xxx

Krautie
03-10-2007, 04:56 PM
@ Lynnea
Sorry, but I don't know Kashofen :shrug:

But I hope you will find a nice yarn store there :wink:

I don't know the US-prices for Addi needles - but the prices for yarns and needles here in Germany have gone up a lot in the last years. Almost all other prices too, since we have the Euro x-(

Nevertheless I hope you will enjoy the time in Germany and I wish you a wonderful time with your "German family" :D

Perhaps you can learn a few words for your next stay there? 11 days really are not enough :wink:

@ Nikita-amimono

Almost neighbours, yes :lol:
Northern Italy is just around the corner :lol:

sig
03-14-2007, 08:13 AM
Hallo there! I was at a summer camp in the humbold institute near Überlingen!! it was long time ago but I remember having a great time. Beautiful place!!! :mrgreen:

Lanna
03-15-2007, 05:18 PM
Hi everybody!

I'm from Europe also, more precisely from Slovenia. In case you don't know: Slovenia is a small country that lies between Austria, Italy, Hungary and Croatia. It's capital is Ljubljana, but I live in a smaller town near by.

I taught myself how to knit from a book just last summer and when I discovered this site it really went out of control - now I'm addicted!!! It is kind of funny though that I can read knitting patterns more easily in english than in my own mother tongue... :oops:

Anyway, lepo se imejte! :waving:

Lanna
03-15-2007, 05:25 PM
Hi everybody!

I'm from Europe also, more precisely from Slovenia. In case you don't know: Slovenia is a small country that lies between Austria, Italy, Hungary and Croatia. It's capital is Ljubljana, but I live in a smaller town near by.

I taught myself how to knit from a book just last summer and when I discovered this site it really went out of control - now I'm addicted!!! It is kind of funny though that I can read knitting patterns more easily in english than in my own mother tongue... :oops:

Nikita-amimono
03-16-2007, 10:33 AM
Hi, Lanna!
Welcome to the Forum !! :blooby:

I'm kind of addicted, too! :chair:
Well, what can I do?

Reading other topics, now I want Denise or Options circ. set.

Mmmmmm....
This site is really dangerous to me! :inlove:

Niki

HamburgKnitter
03-22-2007, 10:37 AM
Welcome to all the new europeans! :cheering:

lorenzamagnifica
03-25-2007, 10:29 AM
hello to all of you,:muah:
i have just found this forum through a link at lampworketc, unfortunately i have some difficulty writing in english. i have been trying to start a knitting group in my city but with little success. seems that italians have not yet captured that knitting is returning en vogue in the rest of the world. have a good sunday afternoon!

Nikita-amimono
03-25-2007, 12:23 PM
hello to all of you,:muah:
i have just found this forum through a link at lampworketc, unfortunately i have some difficulty writing in english. i have been trying to start a knitting group in my city but with little success. seems that italians have not yet captured that knitting is returning en vogue in the rest of the world. have a good sunday afternoon!

Ciao, Lorenza!
:cheering:

Mi chiamo Niki. Abito vicino a Cuneo.
Dove abiti?
Mi piacerebbe sapere tuo incontro di knitting!!

:hug:

Niki xxx

lorenzamagnifica
03-25-2007, 02:50 PM
ciao, niki,
che bello aver ricevuto la tua risposta. abito vicino a chieri (e come te non sono italiana). purtroppo il mio gruppo non ha avuto molto successo. ho lanciato diversi appelli ma sfortunatamente non c'è stata risposta. quindi continuo a lavorare +/- in solitudine;-).
ti auguro una buona serata e un'ottima settimana.

Lieke
03-28-2007, 08:56 AM
Ja, dat wou ik ook net zeggen :P

(If we are going to speak in our own tongue)

Since this topic is full of european knitters, I want to try to get people for the odball blanket here. (Tarri tried in the general forum)

Just click here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29094) and you can see what I'm talking about.

lorenzamagnifica
03-30-2007, 11:55 AM
Ja, dat wou ik ook net zeggen :P

(If we are going to speak in our own tongue)

Since this topic is full of european knitters, I want to try to get people for the odball blanket here. (Tarri tried in the general forum)

Just click here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29094) and you can see what I'm talking about.

hello, lieke,
your idea seems interesting but the first thing that came into my mind when i read it were italian post fees. so today i asked the lady at the local post office and her answer was that a 500g-parcel costs about 6 euro postage. how much do you think the finished blanket would weigh and how many times will it have to be sent from one knitter to the next one?
i think it would be better collecting all that money and buy some readymade blankets to give for charity.
but maybe i did not understand at all your suggestion?
have a good weekend.

MiaZilla
04-02-2007, 12:49 PM
This post's Swedish word/phrase: "Jag bor i Sverige" = "I live in Sweden"
_____

:waving: Another European here! I'm in Malmö, Sweden.

Hi :D

Another Swedish knitter here ^^ I'm from Lund, which is just next to Malmö :D

Rightnow I'm studying in Härnösand, about 1000 kilometers north. :pout: It's cold here ._.

But yeah :D I'm going to visit my family in Lund for Easter and I'm going to try and find a nice LYS in Malmö. You wouldn't happen ho have a tip or two, would you? :)

MiaZilla
04-02-2007, 12:50 PM
Hi everybody!

I am the exact same way! I can usually figure out English patterns, no problem but I Swedish? Yeah, not so much.

Blogie
04-04-2007, 08:09 AM
Hello, I'm from Belgium,

so I'm not that far from bouth of you :cheering:

Grtz...

Debbie
04-04-2007, 01:18 PM
I am going to Copenhagen in June ... any KHers there ????

Nikita-amimono
04-05-2007, 02:26 AM
Welcome to the Forum :cheering:

:blooby:

Niki xxx

HamburgKnitter
04-05-2007, 04:29 AM
Re. the charity blanket: It's true, postage could become a problem once the blanket gets big and heavy.

I know that all the sewing together wouldn't be fun, but maybe we should organize people in Europe to knit squares for a blanket and have them all sewn together? That might make things a bit easier on everybody's budget. It would be sad if we can't make this happen. :pout:

Nikita-amimono
04-05-2007, 07:38 AM
Re. the charity blanket: It's true, postage could become a problem once the blanket gets big and heavy.

I know that all the sewing together wouldn't be fun, but maybe we should organize people in Europe to knit squares for a blanket and have them all sewn together? That might make things a bit easier on everybody's budget. It would be sad if we can't make this happen. :pout:

I totally agree!!
I think it would be really cute blanket like patchwork. :heart:
I want to particiate, too! :wink:

Niki

Nikita-amimono
04-08-2007, 12:24 PM
ciao, niki,
che bello aver ricevuto la tua risposta. abito vicino a chieri (e come te non sono italiana). purtroppo il mio gruppo non ha avuto molto successo. ho lanciato diversi appelli ma sfortunatamente non c'è stata risposta. quindi continuo a lavorare +/- in solitudine;-).
ti auguro una buona serata e un'ottima settimana.

Ciao Lorenza :waving:

I wrote a mail in your mail box.
Hope you've found it! :heart:

Niki

suziehomemaker
04-11-2007, 04:16 PM
For those of you from Greece, I have a chance to go to Athens in January with my husband but he will be in meetings each day. Are there beautiful yarn shops that I could visit and pull up a chair and knit or is that more of a coffee shop type of thing?

I'd hate to be knitting in my hotel room all day!

Lieke
04-27-2007, 02:36 AM

That also sounds like a great idea. Only problem is, I won't have time/be able to sew everything together (Or nobody will be able to knit with wool), so there must be someone willing to do this (sorry for my late reaction, life took over)

Amberle
04-28-2007, 07:09 AM
Hallo, ich komme aus Boston, aber ich wohne zur Zeit (bis 31.12.07) in Leipzig. Ich würde gern andere StrickerInnen kennenlernen. Auch wo kauft man in Deutschland (bzw. im Osten, in Leipzig) Nadeln, Garn usw.?

For those of you who don't read German, but are in Europe: I'm an American living for the time in Leipzig, Germany. I would love to meet other knitters, especially in Leipzig, but anywhere in Europe. It would be fun to organize some kind of central(ish) get together: Berlin, Praha, etc.

Where do you buy knitting supplies here in Europe? I can't find any small LYS like we have in the states.

Anyone trying to contact me can fee free to do so in English, German or Spanish. I know a little Russian, and of course want to learn more (of any slavic language really), but I don't think we could really carry on a conversation.

truenorth
05-02-2007, 04:19 PM
Hi Amberle,
We just got back from visiting daughter and family in Germany. They are near Landstuhl (actually out in farm country... Kashofen - beautiful). Nearest small town is Homburg (not Hamburg), about 10 km away. I just walked around and finally asked someone if there was a yarn shop. Found a nice one right away. Same thing in Heidelberg - just walked around and asked and lo and behold, found another nice one. Even found a tiny shop in an out-of-the-way bed and breakfast inn out in the country not far from where they live. Keep looking and just ask. They're there! Ironic thing was this: most of the yarn that I saw was not made in Germany. I just got back from Vancouver BC Canada (Urban Yarns) and saw nice German yarn there :wall:
Also, in Germany I looked for Addi turbo circ needles. They said they didn't have them (maybe they would in bigger cities?)
Lycka till!!!! (my Swedish didn't get me very far in German, unfortunately...)
Lynnea

Amberle
05-03-2007, 03:42 AM
Thanks Lynnea,
I'll keep trying. It's been frusterating, becuase I told myself that I'd spend some of my first stipend (that wasn't going to furniture) on yarn and feel like a normal person again, who can spend some money on something fun. Well, I'm finally ready to do that, but can't find a yarn store. Leipzig is a fun city to walk around, but I haven't found a yarn shop yet. oh well.

I'll let you know how it goes.

P.S. I've lived allover, but I'm originally from Washington state!

Lieke
05-03-2007, 07:31 AM
have you tried online shops. I think Gemany has many of them. I get my sockyarn from Germany, because they don't make that in the Netherlands.

this is where I buy my sockyarn (http://www.mariannes-opalwolle.de/oscommerce-2.2ms2-051113/catalog/index.php)
this is also in germany (http://ewas-sockenwolle.de/)
And this (http://www.islandwolle.de/contenido-islandw/front_content.php)

truenorth
05-03-2007, 11:52 AM
Amberle - a Washingtonian, huh! Where? I was born in Seattle, but we (husband and two energetic blue merle Australian Shepherds) now have a place about 16 mi. north of Ellensburg (Rodeo country) not far from Blewett Pass - up in the hills with ponderosa pine trees, elk, deer, coyotes, bears and mountain lions. Husband still working on the other side (office in Kirkland) so four nights a week he stays in Seattle on our trawler (boat) on Lake Union right in the city in view of the Space Needle. I'm back and forth over the mountain pass a lot to stay on the boat, too, depending on what's on the agenda. Yesterday a new yarn shop opened in Ellensburg :cheering: called Dancing Ewe. Great little shop with tea for sale also. Room to lounge and get instructions (which I desperately need as a novice). My favorite online store though is in western Oregon: http://www.woodlandwoolworks.com/
That's a long shipment to Germany though!

Checking the labels on the yarn I brought home from Germany - sock yarn is from Czech Republic; chunky wool from Romania. In Vancouver BC last week I bought some gorgeous Debbie Bliss light blue Alpaca 80%/Silk 20% chunky. I love it.

I have to stop buying yarn -- enough projects going now to keep me out of trouble!

I'm sure you'll find a shop if you just ask around. Folks are typically more than happy to help you find one!

Lynnea

SimplyKaar
05-10-2007, 04:56 AM
Another Dutchie here!! I live just outside of Rotterdam with 3 cats and a handful of fish :)

Lieke: I noticed that you regularly shop for yarn in Utrecht; which shop do you go to?
I found a craftshop in Rotterdam and she does have some yarn and needles and such but she isn't specialised in knitting per say so for some yarns I think it would be better to have an actual yarnshop. My boyfriend lives in Driebergen, just outside of Utrecht so I figured maybe I can give 'your' yarnshop a try :)

Krautie
05-10-2007, 03:22 PM
Amberle, leider ist Leipzig hunderte Kilometer von mir entfernt, ich kenne mich dort also gar nicht aus.

Aber wenn du Garn kaufen möchtest und keinen Laden findest, bei ebay.de wirst du dein Geld ganz sicher los :lol:

Tonnen von Garn, alle möglichen Qualitäten, Mengen, Farben......es ist ein Paradies :teehee:

Viele Grüße aus dem Süden Deutschlands!

HamburgKnitter
05-13-2007, 07:31 AM
Hi Amberle!

I just googled "stricken" and "leipzig" and this was my first hit:

http://www.petra-scheibe.de/

It's a craft shop, not "just" a yarn shop, but she lists yarn in her list of products.

If you google "wolle" and "leipzig" you should also get some addresses. Also, the yellow pages will have listings under "Wolle". Knitting is very popular here in Germany, so I can't imagine that a fairly large city like Leipzig wouldn't have several yarn shops. Here in Hamburg the yarn shops aren't in the main shopping area downtown, they seem to be more in smaller neighborhood shopping areas.

I can also high recommend this online shop - my absolute favorite:

www.wolland.de

They have an excellent selection. They are also very friendly and fast. I try to support them as much as I can, because I like giving my business to the small businesses who need it more. However, there is a "big" online shop here in Germany that are fast and reliable too. And have some decent sales fairly often:

http://www.junghanswolle.de/shop

They have all the standard, large brands.

Oh, and these guys have cool stuff too:

http://www.wollfactory.de/

They sent me some excellent (free) pattern books when I ordered there.

PM me if you need more. And let me know if you ever come to Hamburg and I'll show you the "yarn factory" - that place is amazing!!

gifrancis
05-15-2007, 08:33 AM
I'm a 30 yo Portuguese and I just started to learn how to knit.
Hello everyone! xxx

Nikita-amimono
05-15-2007, 09:25 AM
I'm a 30 yo Portuguese and I just started to learn how to knit.
Hello everyone! xxx

Welcome to the Forum !!

:cheering:

Niki

Lieke
05-15-2007, 01:50 PM
Another Dutchie here!! I live just outside of Rotterdam with 3 cats and a handful of fish :)

Lieke: I noticed that you regularly shop for yarn in Utrecht; which shop do you go to?
I found a craftshop in Rotterdam and she does have some yarn and needles and such but she isn't specialised in knitting per say so for some yarns I think it would be better to have an actual yarnshop. My boyfriend lives in Driebergen, just outside of Utrecht so I figured maybe I can give 'your' yarnshop a try :)

I go to Modilaine. It's in the center from Utrecht, on the lijnmarkt. They have many yarns and the lady there is always really helpfull.

you should look here (http://www.creatiefnetwerk.nl/home.html). it lists most of the crafshop in the Netherlands. It says there even is a shop with knittingsupplies in Krimpen ad Ijssel (I don't call it yarn shop, because they also have other things), and it mentions also a lot of stores in Rotterdam

Good luck with finding a yarn shop

peev
05-19-2007, 04:44 PM
Oooh, lookit all the knitters in Yurp. :waving:I'm a Brit living in the Netherlands, and I stupidly agreed to try knitting from a Dutch pattern (in an attempt to improve my Dutch and get me knitting something a bit more complicated than a scarf). I may have to pick the brains of fellow Nederlanders before I end up throwing the whole darn lot out the window. :lol:

VickyS456
05-21-2007, 02:18 PM
Peev, have you seen the conversion charts from Breiweb? Very helpful!

Dutch <-> English (http://www.breiweb.nl/index.html?lang=nl&target=d682.html&lmd=39133.980671)

Lieke
05-22-2007, 02:03 PM
Oooh, lookit all the knitters in Yurp. :waving:I'm a Brit living in the Netherlands, and I stupidly agreed to try knitting from a Dutch pattern (in an attempt to improve my Dutch and get me knitting something a bit more complicated than a scarf). I may have to pick the brains of fellow Nederlanders before I end up throwing the whole darn lot out the window. :lol:

If you still need help, just ask. I can read both dutch and english patterns, so if there's something you don't understand, please ask (maybe PM, because most people here won't understand anyway)

By the way, we don't live to far away from each other. I saw you live in Eindhoven. I live in Rosmalen which is near Den Bosch, so also Noord-Brabant, like Eindhoven. Are there any yarn shops in Eindhoven?

SimplyKaar
05-22-2007, 03:21 PM
I go to Modilaine. It's in the center from Utrecht, on the lijnmarkt. They have many yarns and the lady there is always really helpfull.

you should look here (http://www.creatiefnetwerk.nl/home.html). it lists most of the crafshop in the Netherlands. It says there even is a shop with knittingsupplies in Krimpen ad Ijssel (I don't call it yarn shop, because they also have other things), and it mentions also a lot of stores in Rotterdam

Good luck with finding a yarn shop

Thanks for your answers! I'll give Modilaine a try next time I'm in Driebergen; just to get an idea of what I could get there should I want anything else.
I know the shop that they list for Krimpen a/d IJssel and it's not that great: it's mostly a "hobby winkel" with just a tiny selection of yarn and just a few needles. Last time I wanted to look at some books with patterns and what not, and could not find any at all there! :shrug:
Just a couple of magazines like Sandra.

BUT... that site did list some other stores in neighbouring towns so I think I'll be paying those a visit sometime soon too :)
Thanks for posting that link! :thumbsup:

Lieke
05-23-2007, 08:10 AM
That sounds really similar like the yarn shop here in Rosmalen. They hardly have any yarn and the yarn they have is really expensive. I never go there.

sig
06-19-2007, 05:08 AM
Hallo!!! I´m just checking to see if there is any news about the blanket. Haven´t heard anyting in a while. :shrug:Are we doing it? did i miss something? Hehe, anyway, have a great week y'all! :muah:

HamburgKnitter
06-19-2007, 06:08 AM
I didn't hear anything either. But....HI! :waving: Any new europeans on the forum???

Lieke
06-20-2007, 02:41 AM
Me neither. I don't have enough time to organise this myself (and with people using wool, I couldn't sew anything together as well) so I think this thing won't happen. To bad :(

verodek
07-17-2007, 11:44 PM
Bonjour tout le monde.

Hi everybody.

I'm from Brussels (Belgium).

I speak french and my english is very simple but I think I will learn a lot here :thumbsup:

Lieke
07-18-2007, 02:33 AM
Hi there neighbour!

Praat je ook Nederlands?

DeeJay
10-02-2008, 08:38 AM
Hi there, I'm a New Zealander living in Amsterdam.
I've been knittng on and off for around a year (or longer?). Having problems findind yarn shops here, been buying yearn at Wibra and needles at Pippoos (I think that's the shop?). Not much in the way of range which is annoying. I'm almost about to ask family in NZ to send some over :D

Vreni
10-14-2008, 10:52 AM
I know it is a very old question, but I am in Germany.
Timezone is a point, but do not mind chatting with anybody from anywhere anyway!

blueygh2
10-23-2008, 04:51 PM
Hello, I'm from luxembourg, that small small country between france, germany and belgium, and I regularly travel between belgium, luxembourg and germany (It's not as exciting as it sounds, really)

Without boosting, I'm fluent in luxembourgish, german, french, english. And I can read quite some other languages, like italian, spanish, dutch, I even figured out some words in finnish. Picked up some japanese and tried some romanian, russian, czech. Had taken classes in dutch, italian and spanish and did some latin in school. I have met quite a few people from different countries and tried learning swedish and norwegian, esperanto, ... (I'm sure I forgot some things...)
And before travelling somewhere, I try to learn a few words in the language of the country, not to feel totally lost, even if, afterwards, I am :D

As you can see, I'm addicted to languages. I even made up a few.

Anyway, I learned knitting about a year ago. I tried learning from the internet, but my sister had to show me, because I couldn't figure it out. After that everything went marvelous.

As for yarn shops, I know a yarn shop in Liege, and one or two in luxembourg, in germany there are quite some over the place, but those are rather small shops carrying only one or two brands of yarn or so,... (Trier)
If I have to have a certain type of yarn, I order it online, if I can't find it anywhere at LYS...

The blanket idea for the european area seems a good idea, but I doubt that shipping would be significantly, if at all, less expensive than shipping to the states...

That's it from me... :D

Oh I forgot to say that I absolutely want to go to ireland and the states.

Lieke
10-31-2008, 07:47 AM
Hi there, I'm a New Zealander living in Amsterdam.
I've been knittng on and off for around a year (or longer?). Having problems findind yarn shops here, been buying yearn at Wibra and needles at Pippoos (I think that's the shop?). Not much in the way of range which is annoying. I'm almost about to ask family in NZ to send some over :D

Ok, I know you've posted this ages ago, but in Amsterdam is a great yarn shop: de Afstap. You should check out http://www.creatiefnetwerk.nl/home.html there you can find ALL yarn shops in the Netherlands.

Lucy78green
11-15-2008, 10:29 AM
I've just wasted a large portion of my life putting all the yarn/wool shops in Ireland I could find onto google maps (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=115781947158015303375.00045bb0b2f34e2a5ef3a), if anyone ever needs to know!

Kashshaptu
12-11-2008, 07:30 PM
Hey everybody!^^ I'm surprised to see so many dutch people here! :)

I'm from holland as well, Hengelo overijssel, to be precise. I've been knitting on and off for most of my childhood (more off than on :p) and now I'm finally starting to knit seriously (I'm almost 23 now).

There's a few great knitting shops here (some specialize solely on knitting, others have other crafts as well), so I guess I'm quite lucky, with a shop only 10 minutes from my house!

I've joined a local Stitch n Bitch, but seeing as its' in Enschede (nearby town), I don't go that often (I depend on someone going with me, seeing as I don't drive), but it's fun. I hope to meet some young people here though (not to diss on the older knitters out here) I've never encountered a fellow knitter of my age.

Actually...I knit with my mom mostly...:p

invisible
12-13-2008, 05:15 PM
I've just wasted a large portion of my life putting all the yarn/wool shops in Ireland I could find onto google maps (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=115781947158015303375.00045bb0b2f34e2a5ef3a), if anyone ever needs to know!

Oh, I can do with that, there are no wool shops in Kilkenny:p

I live in Ireland, but originally I'm from Hamburg/Germany

Lucy78green
12-14-2008, 07:14 PM
I think there are about 4 around you in a 20 mile radius! Not sure which are the best as I haven't been to any of them, but I got most of the addresses from the Irish Knitters group on Ravelry. I think Cushendale (http://www.cushendale.ie/) is the nearest and is supposed to be good though, it's a mill but apparently it does wool too.

IceKnit
12-17-2008, 02:34 PM
Hi everyone, I´m a 31 yo Icelandic knitter :p

There´s a long tradition of knitting here and lots of young people who knit, it´s kinda cool to knit now :thumbsup: Most kids are tought how to knit early on in school.
I learnt it at a young age but didn´t do anything with it for many, many years. It wasn´t until about a year ago that I started knitting on a regular basis and now I can´t seem to stop :X:

knitter4christ
01-22-2009, 06:07 AM
I'm studying abroad in England right now. Anyone know of any craft shops were I could get some basic (read:cheap) acrylic yarn for an afghan in London? (Bonus points if it's lion brand.)

Lucy78green
01-22-2009, 03:45 PM
In the UK there's only place I am aware of that imports Lion Brand called Banyan Tree Yarns (http://www.banyantreeyarns.com/) apart from that, a person on Ravelry (littlelixie) put together a map of UK Yarn (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=111287046617801714876.0004367756018bc4ced50) shops, so check it out and see if there's any near you

MLML
01-26-2009, 06:17 AM
Just a quick note to say I live in Scotland and have just joined KH, so the small European element has just grown by a whole 1!

Some reassurance to the people who were mourning the lack of younger knitters: I am in my mid-20s and I know that several of my colleagues knit, some of whom are around my age, and others in their 30s and 40s.

ML

Suona
01-27-2009, 08:52 PM
There's so many posts that I think I won't be able to stay awake to go through them all tonight :rofl: But yeah, I'm from Finland. I live in Turku. Any other Finns here?? ;)

bahia
02-10-2009, 06:31 AM
Hi everybody from a french island on the Mediterranean sea.:muah:

Thanks to some bloggers I've began knitting again and dared to knit quite sophisticated patterns.

daisysmiles
02-15-2009, 06:35 PM
Hello / Hola / Hallo / Salut ...

I'm from the north west of England but I live in the north west of Spain (Galicia).

A friend taught me how to crochet a couple of years ago but I only know how to make scarves. I've taught myself how to knit (about 3 weeks ago) and I'm making a hat. I'm 27 ... so a young knitter too ... although according to one of my little students 27 is REALLY old, ha ha ha.

I speak English and Spanish fluently, I understand Galician but have never studied the grammar. I understand a lot of German and French but don't practise enough to hold a conversation. I know some random sentences/words in Portuguese, Italian and Japanese.

Nice to meet you all :o) :sun:

iwouldratherbeknitting
02-25-2009, 06:35 AM
:roflhard: Hi,
I'm an American living/working in the Bavarian region in Germany. I finally found a wonderful yarn shop in Nuremberg-- about an hour's train ride away. I'm not sure if there is another yarn shop closer to where I live though?

I purchased some GERMAN knitting patterns in a magazine... can I read German? No! :roflhard: Is that a sign that I need to stop and think before I purchase knitting supplies? ;)

kathpeak
03-12-2009, 01:38 PM
In the run up to St. Patrick's day I had to say Hi. It is nice to see some Europeans on the site. I am from the South East of Ireland, but I have a European heritage. My mother was Dutch and my father from Bristol in England. Going back another generation we have Cornwall, Freisan and German in the family too.

So, Lá Féile Padraig to you all

Kath

kirstyandgirls
04-01-2009, 05:32 AM
Hi Everyone,

I'm Kirsty and I'm in England - I'm young too (27) and i've a couple of friends my age who knit. Nice to meet everyone

Kirsty x

(kirstyandgirls on ravelry)

Anarfea
04-25-2009, 06:34 PM
I'm Natalia and I'm in Budapest. I've been here a year but I'm still struggling to learn Hungarian! It's such a hard language. I understand a lot but I can't speak. I'm trying to learn how to read Hungarian knitting patterns. And yarn slection here sucks :-(

I speak Spanish as well--or at least I used to before I started learning Hungarian!

So, Hi everybody!

Lucy78green
04-26-2009, 07:52 AM
I'm going to Berlin for the weekend next month, but I'm going with a group of non-knitters. Hoping I might accidentally stumble on a yarn shop, and that the Euro-Sterling exchange rate doesn't cripple me!