PDA

View Full Version : most practical extra item

madametj
12-26-2006, 01:39 AM
i'm ordering the denise set tomorrow and i think i can buy one extra needle or cable with it, but i'm having a hard time deciding which one. i think either the size 17 tip, the 30" cable, or the 52" cable would be very useful. i'm not sure which length would be best for magic loop though. the longer the better i guess :shrug:

janelanespaintbrush
12-26-2006, 06:58 AM
So you went back to Denise, huh? Well, I think I'd get the size 17 tips since it's easy enough to make longer cables by joining the ones in the set. Options really do work a lot better than Denise for magic loop, though. Why'd you change your mind? The aesthetic thing?

BTW, if you don't mind buying used Denises, you might want to check out the buy/sell/swap (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewforum.php?f=2) section. Brendajos if offering some for a great price.

madametj
12-26-2006, 02:50 PM
yes, i went back to denise. :?? why'd i change my mind? well........

i dunno i guess i just really had my heart set on the denise's. i like just about everythig about them, i like the organization, the pink cables, the needles sizes, the amount of cables included.... plus, i was adding up the price of getting the options, and all the things i'll want to go with it (ID tags, extra needles, extra cables) and well, it came up to a bit more then i planned on. i had this battle going on in my mind: denise, denise, options, denise, denise, denise, options, denise, options, denise, options.... but not only do i need to get what is affordable, but as my mom told me, i should really just get what i want.

the main, main, MAIN thing that changed my mind, though, was that i'm way too impatient to wait for knitpicks to come out with a cable size that works for hats, which is really what i plan on making the most, at least for now.

janelanespaintbrush
12-26-2006, 03:12 PM
Makes sense. When I first started knitting, I made a whole bunch of hats on my 17" Denises. You'll have to give us a thorough review after you've tried them out. ;)

madametj
12-26-2006, 03:31 PM
Makes sense. When I first started knitting, I made a whole bunch of hats on my 17" Denises. You'll have to give us a thorough review after you've tried them out. ;)

thanx for understanding. i've found that many ppl have very strong feelings about this sort of thing and well, not everyone is going to agree on everything. u can bet on that review for sure :hug:

craftymom
12-26-2006, 06:53 PM
I have Denise needles. I love them. I've only tried Options DPNs so I suppose I don't know what I'm missing but I'm really not in a hurry to find out. I hope that you enjoy them!

snowbear
12-26-2006, 08:31 PM
I have the Denise's with the extra size needles & the 3 longer cables. The 54' is almost riduclous. I would go w/ the 17 size. They are awesome. I have had mine for 2 yrs now, and just can't switch. Too many memories & ease in getting in and out of airports. I love them.

madametj
12-31-2006, 02:41 AM

what did u do about the tops of the hats?

i'd rather be knitting
12-31-2006, 03:01 AM
I love my Denise's. Today the cable came apart from the needles and that was a bit scary but I still love them.

Braden
12-31-2006, 01:47 PM

You would use double-pointed needles to finish them.

janelanespaintbrush
12-31-2006, 02:09 PM

You would use double-pointed needles to finish them.

You could also just do magic loop with your Denises. All you have to do is add another cable (or switch to a longer cable) so that your total cable length is 40" or so. (Look at Amy's instructions if you haven't done magic loop before). That's the method I used for my very first FO (a hat), so you know it can't be too hard.

You could also use the two-circ method with your Denises, but that would be a little more complicated (IMO) since you will need to pay attention to your needle sizes. (There is a way to do it so that you don't need 4 of the same needle tips -- Amy explains in her video.)

michellebreton
12-31-2006, 03:02 PM
You could also just do magic loop with your Denises. All you have to do is add another cable (or switch to a longer cable) so that your total cable length is 40" or so. (Look at Amy's instructions if you haven't done magic loop before). That's the method I used for my very first FO (a hat), so you know it can't be too hard.

You could also use the two-circ method with your Denises, but that would be a little more complicated (IMO) since you will need to pay attention to your needle sizes. (There is a way to do it so that you don't need 4 of the same needle tips -- Amy explains in her video.)[/quote]

And, I might add, if you are going to do Magic Loop then you might want to reconsider the Options. I've been doing mittens all week Magic Loop style on my options with the 40" cable and it has been super easy. I also did a hat on my options using Magic Loop.

Sorry to restart the internal debate! :whistle:

Michelle

ecb
01-01-2007, 08:35 PM
I used the denide tips without cables to do small DPN work

but then again I do things oddly

ecb