PDA

View Full Version : FO: Dragon Scarf (my first "design")

brookehanna
12-26-2006, 12:23 PM
Hi folks-

A couple of weeks ago my son asked to wear one of my scarfs to preschool. I asked him if he would like me to make one for him...and of course he said yes. I had been looking around for a fun preschool-age scarf pattern but could not find one. After cruising around the internet, and using one of his toys for inspiration, I decided just to make my own pattern.

I used some knitting graph paper and drew out the design for the head. Then I went to my stitch pattern books to find something that looked dragon-like. I decided to make a short scarf that would just go around the neck once. And since we live in Minnesota I wanted it to be warm. The top and bottom were knitted seperately and seamed together. The eyes and head have a bit of polyfil in them to add dimension.

My son loves it... and I'm pretty happy with it too. :D I have written the pattern out. I'd like to design a few more animals in both preschool and little kid size.

Jessica
12-26-2006, 12:29 PM
That is soooooo cute. I :heart: it :cheering:

nonny2t
12-26-2006, 12:31 PM
That is just adorable and the dragon slayer seems to like it too!

sara_jayne
12-26-2006, 12:46 PM
That is fabulous!!

craftymom
12-26-2006, 01:50 PM
That's adorable! :notworthy:

mystery
12-26-2006, 02:05 PM
Wow that's absolutely gorgeous..!

gardenmommy
12-26-2006, 06:27 PM
Awesome! That green is perfect too! Love the fun fur flames! LOL

CateKnits
12-26-2006, 06:27 PM
I love it! I would even wear one! :cheering:

janelanespaintbrush
12-26-2006, 06:51 PM
Neat idea!

Ronda
12-26-2006, 08:17 PM
That's terrific!

newamy
12-26-2006, 08:21 PM
Wow!
And designing it yourself! :passedout:

It's lovely.

losnana
12-26-2006, 08:47 PM
I'd love to buy a pattern for a lion scarf if you design one. Just PM me.

The dragon is adorable, and so is your son.

geekgolightly
12-26-2006, 10:30 PM
if you have paypal set up ill buy the pattern! my son saw it and fell in love. :heart:

its lovely

five_six
12-26-2006, 10:48 PM
And my daughter would just go ape over it!! :hug:

brookehanna
12-26-2006, 11:27 PM
Thanks so much ladies. It was fun and pretty quick to make given the small size. Adding the details and seaming took the most time. This particular pattern would also make a great snake too....without the ears of course. I will get the pattern and better pics put together on a pdf file this week and have our local teacher/designer proof the pattern for me next week. Glad you like it. I'll see what I can come up with for a lion! That would be so cute!

momwolf
12-27-2006, 12:39 AM
:cheering: That is soooooooooooo cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'd like the pattern too . You did a great job coming up with the pattern yourself :notworthy:

Kaydee
12-27-2006, 03:19 PM
I love how you put flames coming out of its mouth! I bet he loves it.

CindyH
12-27-2006, 11:41 PM
hee hee...that is too cute! Great job!

Eloewien
12-27-2006, 11:53 PM
I love it! Have you seen the Norberta stuffed dragon pattern on Knitty.com? I don't have access to send you the link right now- but it would go well! What yarn did you use? It looks great!

Laura

MarDi
12-28-2006, 03:00 AM
Wow, that's amazing! I love it! :heart:

AnotherBecca
12-28-2006, 05:10 AM
That is the cutest thing!

brookehanna
12-28-2006, 12:25 PM
I used Dream in Color (http://www.dreamincoloryarn.com) handpainted yarn in Happy Forest Merino. It is a superwash wool. The underside is Ella Rae Amity in Green. It is similar to Encore. The mouth is red Encore and the fire is Fun Fur, red Encore, and some Caron Simply Soft in Mango. Can you tell I raided my stash? The Dream in Color is the only thing I had to buy.

nadja la claire
12-28-2006, 02:43 PM
:cheering: :notworthy: Amazing, Awsome!!!!!!!!!! :notworthy: :cheering: What a great scarf!!!! Can you post the pattern?

Nadja xxx

Georgiasmama
12-28-2006, 04:38 PM
Holy smokes that is the cutest thing I have seen! My dd would go bananas over that! hehe she is really into dragons for some reason right now. and dolphins!

maman
12-30-2006, 03:13 PM
Pattern purchase here, too, please! My son has confiscated my purply-rainbow ribbon scarf and demands to wear it to preschool. I would love to make him a dragon scarf!

brookehanna
12-31-2006, 06:07 PM
Ok...I'm putting final touches on the pattern and will have it proofread by a professional knitter/designer tomorrow. Look for an update later next week on availability. In the works are a lion, panda, and elephant :). This is fun!

losnana
12-31-2006, 06:53 PM
Great!! Can't wait to see the lion. :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

brookehanna
01-09-2007, 09:37 PM
Update!!

Pattern is done! I will have it live on a new website tomorrow. This is not for the faint of heart....it has a lot of steps. I think it took more time to write and proof the pattern than it did to design and knit it. I'm excited to share this with my fellow knitters and look forward to your feedback on the pattern. I will have a blog set up and will provide pattern assistance on the new site. I'll post the link tomorrow...because the new domain is not active yet.

Thanks everyone. Hopefully I can get a few other designs done soon.

jess_hawk
01-09-2007, 09:49 PM
That dragon is SO SO SOSOSOSOSOSOSOSO Cute!

I wonder if you could make wings to use as a hood type thing?

phisch
01-10-2007, 02:02 AM
I really, really love this! Great job. Glad you're posting a pattern, too.

melissa.atkins
01-10-2007, 02:07 AM
Your little boy is adorable!! And I can tell he really likes the dragon... :)

phisch
01-10-2007, 11:15 AM
I really, really love this! Great job. Glad you're posting a pattern, too.

brookehanna
01-10-2007, 07:58 PM
Ok everyone- Here is the link!

http://www.funknitsforkids.com

I'm offering the pattern for free. If you like it, please make a donation on the site. All money raised will go to help the children in Darfur.

Enjoy!!!!!

meg
01-11-2007, 05:22 PM
omg - you designed that? thats so adorable! original! and fun!! great job!!

alicia
01-13-2007, 12:35 PM
There are no words for explaining how much I love that scarf! You did an awesome Job! :cheering: :notworthy: :cheering: :notworthy:
Now I must knit it! :eyebrow:

ctmax
01-13-2007, 01:03 PM
I went last night and bought all the yarn for the scarf. The only question I have is how did you sew close the nostrils? I don't know how I will do this so it will look decent.

Cristy
01-13-2007, 01:45 PM
very very cute. I've seen an alligator or lizard scarf online that is similar that I was thinking of trying but now that I've seen yours--I like it better! My little boy is still in the oven but I'm sure he'll love it one day! ;)

Crunch
01-14-2007, 06:11 PM
this is CUTEST thing ever...
I would love to make ... I just check pattern and it seems little bit too challenge for me at this time but, as soon as I get better with knitting, I will definately try this. I just LOVE it.

brookehanna
01-16-2007, 11:51 AM
I went last night and bought all the yarn for the scarf. The only question I have is how did you sew close the nostrils? I don't know how I will do this so it will look decent.

Yeah! I can't wait to see it finished. The nostrils are pretty easy. Take the tail from the cast-on of the i-cord and use it to sew a few stitches to the bound off edge...creating a circle. Once your bobble is done, put it in the center of the circle. Use the tail left over from the bobble to sew the bobble to the i-cord from the back. I just used a whip stitch all the way around where the light and dark green colors met. Since the back of the nostril will be sewn onto the face you won't see these stitches.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you need any other help or pictures.

Crunch: Yes, unfortunately this is not a beginner friendly pattern. Once you get the basics of increasing, decreasing and seaming down you should be able to do it.

Cristy: Congrats on the new baby. Looks like he's due any day now. You'll enjoy you're little boy. I bet he'll love the scarf one day. :)

ctmax
01-22-2007, 06:57 PM
I just finished this scarf my 7 year old loves it. The only problem I came across is on the mouth, it says to do row 1 - 18 and then repeat 11 - 18 again. It then says the next row is 37 I kept getting 27. So I'm not sure if I just wasn't getting something or if this is a typo. Loved this pattern.

brookehanna
01-23-2007, 11:01 AM
Yes, you are right. The next row should be numbered 27. Thanks for catching that. I'll correct it right away. Glad it worked for you. You're son looks like he loves it!