PDA

View Full Version : Arrrrrgh!

Knitting_Guy
12-31-2006, 11:21 PM
Knitting is so frustrating! I'll never finish this stupid simple scarf! I worked on the thing for hours, trying to be careful and get everything right. It's just a simple friggin 2x2 ribbing pattern. Nothing complicated.

After hours of working on it and having it start to actually take some shape and have a bit of length (well, ok, only about 8 inches or so), I totally screwed up a row. I tried to fix it and messed that up. I tried to unravel a couple of rows but couldn't figure out how to thread the needle back in even after watching Amy's video a couple of times. I finally just frogged the whole thing. Arrrrgh!

I just don't see how you people can make all of the very nice stuff I see pictured when I can't even do a stupid scarf. I'm hopeless.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-31-2006, 11:29 PM
:hug:

I used to frog everything because i didn't know hoiw to fix my mistakes. Check out the "destination row" video on this page (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/misc.php)? That's how I always do it now when I have to rip. It won't help you now, but hopefully in the future.

I don't know if it's mentioned ont he video or not, but when you are picking live stitches back up after ripping, if you pick them up twisted or backwards, it doesn't matter... you can fix it when you get to that stitch as you're knitting the next row.

Just remember that this is a NEW skill set you're learning... and not only learning how to do the stitches, but also putting those movements into your muscle memory--that takes lots of time and lots and lots of rrepetition... and mistakes!!

Don't give up, we're here for you!!!

PinkRoses
12-31-2006, 11:29 PM
You're not hopeless. I've been knitting since my age was in the single digits. Trust me, I've had my share of messes. Just take it slow and don't feel the need to rush. One step at a time, one stitch at a time. Remember, no one starts anything being an expert.

Glad you joined our group! :cheering:

Ingrid
12-31-2006, 11:31 PM
I took my first violin lesson 3 days ago and I STILL can't play Flight of the Bumblebee.

Point taken?

Cut yourself some slack--you'll get there.

cara
12-31-2006, 11:36 PM
:muah:

I feel for ya!!! I had started a baby blanket for my neice and was about 40 rows in... and whooops.. dropped a stitch.. yikes! Anyways... I ended up having to frog the whole thing. I wished I hadn't now as I could fix it since I have more experience.

I've only been knitting since august, but the learning curve is steep. Trust me! You'll get the hang of it all in no time. I did a few dishclothes and then went straight to hats. they are sooo easy to manage and take far less time than a scarf! I am working on a scarf for myself at the moment and I set it down about halfway through every evening to work on another project because I find it so BOORRRRING.

Trying knitting a few small things.. maybe a kitty toy or dish cloth so that you can finish it and have that great feeling of something complete! It is the best motivator you could hope for. I am all for the instant gratification!

If you have a kitty... take a small amount of your scarf yarn, knit a square that is maybe 3x3 inches, fold it corner to corner, sew it up almost the entire way, stuff it full of stuffing.. cotton balls, dryer fluff.. whatever takes up room and doesn't fall through the holes in the knitting and add some cat nip. Then go play with kitty for a bit to relax and only after that... go back to your scarf. :)

good luck!!!!!

Belphoebe
01-01-2007, 12:05 AM
:hug: Don't give up! You should have seen the first loaf I bread I tried to make when I was young. Dad finally had to bury it because the dog wouldn't eat it and it didn't disintegrate over a harsh Iowa winter. :whistle: (He finally buried it.) Now I can make a great loaf of bread, it just took time and a LOT of practice. You too will get there with knitting.

brendajos
01-01-2007, 12:10 AM
:hug: Don't give up! You should have seen the first loaf I bread I tried to make when I was young. Dad finally had to bury it because the dog wouldn't eat it and it didn't disintegrate over a harsh Iowa winter. :whistle: (He finally buried it.) Now I can make a great loaf of bread, it just took time and a LOT of practice. You too will get there with knitting.

:teehee:

*censored thread hijacker here* :aww:

Knitting_Guy
01-01-2007, 12:13 AM
Thanks for the encouragement folks. I took a deep breath, cast on, and started yet again.

I've watched that destination row video several times. I guess I should have a set of circular needles. For now though, this time I'm going to thread in a lifeline every so often.

I have degrees in Electronics Engineering and Computer Science and would have never dreamed I could feel so stupid as I do right now LOL

PinkRoses
01-01-2007, 12:23 AM
The loaf of bread story has me howling over here. Too funny! I've been there! :roflhard:

Liliyarn
01-01-2007, 12:24 AM
The first time I did a 2X2 rib for a hat, I put stitch markers every two stitches to remind myself to bring the yarn forward and back.

Before that, I frogged the hat 16 times.

Now I just count to myself, one two....one two....one two....

Don't give up.

Knitting_Guy
01-01-2007, 12:27 AM
Believe me, if anyone were within earshot they'd think I was nuts. "knit one, knit two, purl one, purl two..." LOL

PinkRoses
01-01-2007, 12:38 AM
:woohoo:

puppyluv
01-01-2007, 12:50 AM
When I was learning to knit (I am self-taught) and I would make a mistake, I had to frog everything. I just couldn't figure out how to get it back, once I messed up.
I thought "knitting is crazy, if you make one mistake, it's all over!"
But that was in 1998 and I have learned a thing or two since then...
I am just saying, we've all been there, and you will look back on your scarf someday and just have a good laugh.
Wow that sounded very condescending! :doh:
I am just saying, you WILL advance and grow from here! Just keep trying.

Knitting_Guy
01-01-2007, 12:59 AM
Not condescending at all. Encouraging actually. Thanks.

DreamWeaver
01-01-2007, 01:56 AM
:hug: don't worry! The hardest thing you'll ever have to do in knitting is learning how to knit and purl. Everything else is veriations of that.

yay knitting :happydance:

Liliyarn
01-01-2007, 02:10 AM
Also, I get into the rhythm of the pattern. I don't count. I just know when I've purled three instead of two and back up a stich. It's difficult to explain, but you just realize that the knitting didn't feel right. I can also feel it when I split a stich or when something isn't quiet right.

The force is with you....feel the knit.....

:rofl:

snowbear
01-01-2007, 07:25 AM
THe first time I tried to program a simple computer porgram, it had 4 lines in it. I screwed up all 4 lines..lol

Knitting takes time. It is rewarding, just relax, and slow down. You can do it.

Soon you'll wonder what the deal was with ribbing and become a pro with it.

I had trouble casting on and making a simple knit scarf. just knit stitch..lol I kept adding stitches! I started off with 18 and ended up with 28.

You should have seen that one! lol

Hang in there!

Knitting_Guy
01-01-2007, 10:56 AM
That's exactly why I went with the ribbing. I started with a simple garter stitch one and wound up adding a bunch of stitches. The ribbing forces me to pay more attention to the stitch count.

nadja la claire
01-01-2007, 11:17 AM
Don't give up!!! :hug: We all know how you feel :grphug: I mean it took me almost a month and a 1/2 to make a simple garter stitch scarf and 6 months to learn how to purl. You'll get the hang of it. My DH used to teach in a local art school and when his students would get frustrated and want to give up he'd tell them that they were still learning and it didn't matter how beautiful something was. That comes with time. The important thing now is to just do it, do it all the time, and when you screw up you do it again.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

Knitting_Guy
01-01-2007, 11:26 AM
I'm too stubborn to give up LOL

Maybe restarting it this time wasn't so bad after all. It's actually looking better than it did the last time and I'm catching my mistakes right away (so far) and am able to correct them before I commit them to the row.

I've decided that I am not going to frog it again no matter what. I'll either figure out a way to fix any mistakes or just live with them and keep knitting. After all, it IS a first project.

Louisa
01-01-2007, 12:20 PM
Great attitude! And like all the others, I'm going to repeat that you just need to hang in there.

My big challenge is sizing and gauge. I've never really payed any attention cause it just didn't matter. But for Christmas I was trying to make a hat for my BF. Yeesh I never realized he had such a big head! I had to frog and restart the thing three times because I'd get about 4 inches into it, try it on him and realize it would squeeze his head too much!

Anyway, it just takes practice and experimenting is what I'm trying to say. Hang in there. Sometimes when I'm feeling frustrated I just sit back and look at the pretty colour of my yarn and molest it a bit and then I feel better that I can make something nice out of it.

landolphe
01-01-2007, 12:36 PM
For a long, long time, my only recovery tactic was to rip out back to the dawn of time and start over. Effective, but not efficient. Even after having made several pretty complicated projects, the "death wish rip out" remained my only recourse. I have become a bit better at "seeing" the error and its implications for the surrounding stitches and adjoining rows. And yet ....

Last night, while making a simple garter stitch scarf, my dogs pulled my knitting off the sofa onto the floor. I am working on US 35 needles with double strands of super bulky, boucle and fuzzy yarn--kinda like weaving tugboat tow-line with sawed-off broomsticks!--so of course, some of the work slipped off the needles. I did my best to put it back on the needle and kept kitting. Five rows later, I realized that my stitch count had somehow become 12/row in place of the pattern's 10/row. Now: to rip out or not? No. I dived into the heart of the 5 12-stitch rows, pulled a few strings here and there, and managed to tighten up those rows enough that the vertical lines of the scarf are once again parallel.

Today, I am feeling good about my "non-destructive" recovery. Of course, fat and fuzzy yarn hides a multitude of errors.

Happy New Year to All,

Landolphe

Jan in CA
01-01-2007, 02:18 PM
I didn't see this idea posted, but another thing you can do is take a scrap of yarn or dental floss and thread it through the stitches on the needle when you know the rows below are done properly. Move it up or add another as you go along (every 10-20 or whatever rows) so if you DO have to frog you don't have to all the way back. I use that method things like sweaters mostly now and I used it a LOT when I first started. ;)

Knitting_Guy
01-01-2007, 02:26 PM
Great tips and support, thanks loads. :)

Krystal
01-01-2007, 06:19 PM
I had trouble casting on and making a simple knit scarf. just knit stitch..lol I kept adding stitches! I started off with 18 and ended up with 28.

You should have seen that one! lol

Hang in there!

me too!! it drove me nuts. by the end of it i wa wondering why it was taking me 10 min to knit a row but when I started it was only 3. Haha.