PDA

View Full Version : Getting The Hang Of It

Knitting_Guy
01-01-2007, 10:11 PM
After spending some time today paying very close attention to my knitting and analyzing my stitching I discover where most of my problems were coming from. It was all in the knit stitch.

On several stitches I was not inserting the needle correctly and was going through more than just that front loop. This is what was resulting in twisted stitches and an increased stitch count.

By paying very close attention as I made the knit stitches I was able to feel when it wasn't right and could correct it before completing the stitch.

It took a lot of mistakes and frogging and I still have a lot to learn but I feel like I may be starting to get the hang of the basics. This forum really helps a lot and I've already learned loads here.

Ingrid
01-01-2007, 11:06 PM
Before you know it, you'll be knitting without even looking!

five_six
01-01-2007, 11:12 PM

ha, ha... man... how cool would that be. When i was little my grandmothers sister was the 'major' knitter of the family and i remember she used to sit and talk to us, or watch tv without ever looking down at her knitting. One day, after maybe 50 years, i would like to have achieved this. At the moment, i can go maybe 10 stitches without looking... so i'm getting there :teehee:

Knitting_Guy
01-01-2007, 11:27 PM
I'd like to be able to do that but right now I can't imagine it. LOL

MarDi
01-01-2007, 11:31 PM
Knit without looking? *faints* :thud:

SkyBluePink
01-01-2007, 11:45 PM
This forum, Amy, and all the lovely forumites have been absolutely invaluable to me as well. I am a self-taught knitter and am having many of the same problems you are; namely correcting my mistakes instead of frogging them. Every few days or so I have a breakthrough and it starts making sense to me.

Good luck!

Kate :D

Jan in CA
01-01-2007, 11:47 PM

I can do it now with the knit stitch. Works great for those little hats when watching TV. :teehee:

auburnchick
01-02-2007, 12:05 AM
Way to go, Mason!! :cheering:

I'm very impressed with how diligent you have been!!!

losnana
01-02-2007, 10:12 AM
Way to go, Mason!! :cheering:

I'm very impressed with how diligent you have been!!!

What she said. Sometimes it's too easy to give up and move on to something else. I bet you'll never forget how the right way feels, having figured it out for yourself. Congrats. :cheering:

nonny2t
01-02-2007, 10:20 AM
WTG Mason! You didn't give up and hung in there to figure out what the problem was! It won't be long until there will be pictures of your posted projects here and we can't wait!

Great job! :muah:

Faye

Knitting_Guy
01-02-2007, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the encouraging comments. :)

I'm stopped at a truckstop for breakfast on my way to Miami to deliver a couple of large generators. Now that I'm back on the road again my knitting time will be less, but the time I spent at home the past few days gave me a nice start on learning the basics.

auburnchick
01-02-2007, 11:30 AM
I know what you're talking about! The real world infringes too often, eh?

My college classes started back up, and I go back to work on Thursday! So, I probably won't have much time to work on socks (my newest challenge) until Spring Break! :waah:

DreamWeaver
01-02-2007, 12:02 PM
Great job! Isn't knitting so much fun when you get it? :teehee: