PDA

View Full Version : If I want to write a pattern...

melissa.atkins
01-03-2007, 12:12 AM
I just knitted a baby blanket... (you can see details in my blog)... I got the stitch from the Big Book of Stitch Patterns...
Can I write the pattern and make it mine? I know this book's author didnt make the stitch because my mom has a book from the 60's and this stitch is there too...
Do I have to mention that I got the Stitch from this book? :??
I really want to write the pattern... it is my first "creation"...

PurpleMittens
01-03-2007, 03:22 AM
I don't think you are any more beholden to the author(s) of the pattern book than a composer is beholden to the originator of scales or large scale harmonic ideas. I don't really need to write an acknowledgment to Debussey if I write a piece in the whole tone system. Maybe not the best analogy, but I think it is the same situation. There are certain fundamental building blocks of any craft that are beyond the perogative of any individual to impose restrictions on their usage. The intellectual "work" of a pattern designer lies in the actual design of the pattern. The intellectual work of the compiler of stitches lies in the actual compiling and organization of the stitches for someone's easy reference. Unless you were to produce a guide to stitches that was based on their organizational pattern or something else distinctly theirs, I don't think you owe them anything.