PDA

View Full Version : Hey! Moss Stitch is kinda pretty!

HamaLee
01-03-2007, 10:24 PM
Who knew? :shrug:
:roflhard: :rofl: :roflhard:

Not so much with my pictorial skills...but ya know, I likey the little diamonds it forms.

Krystal
01-03-2007, 10:57 PM
You know what, every picture of moss stitch I always thought it looked kinda eh. In fact every picture I have seen apparantly doesn't do it justice, because what you have just shown me, is really nice. I love the effect as well. It's much different from what I've seen.

Maybe it's the angle?

:heart:

Knitting_Guy
01-04-2007, 12:06 AM
That is really cool. I think I know the next thing I wanna learn.

five_six
01-04-2007, 12:20 AM
Mason - it's very easy, it's just alternating knit and purls, then on the following row, where there was a knit, it becomes a purl, and purl becomes a knit... etc.

I love moss stitch too, it's quite a stretchy stitch as well, from my experience with it.

Jan in CA
01-04-2007, 01:05 AM
How are you doing that? It looks different in your photo. It's beautiful though!

HamaLee
01-04-2007, 01:40 AM
How are you doing that? It looks different in your photo. It's beautiful though!

Well I've never knit moss stitch before so I just trusted Berrocco when they said this was it! :roflhard: I guess I"m sort of doing a double moss stitch then cuz here are the directions copied and pasted from the site
MOSS STITCH (Even number of sts)
Rows 1 and 2: * K1, p1, rep from * across.
Rows 3 and 4: * P1, k1, rep from * across.
Rep these 4 rows for Moss St.

But they called it moss stitch! Hehe....regardless, it's purdy. Oh and the yarn is double stranded so it's a nice thick, plush fabric.

Jan in CA
01-04-2007, 02:07 AM
I always get confused and tend to interchange moss stitch and seed stitch. I think yours IS moss. It's really pretty!

hunterjenn
01-04-2007, 02:34 AM
Yeah, if I understand right, moss is two rows before changing the pattern, and seed is only one row of each. I'm doing a long jacket in moss stitch now, and I'm LOVING it!

five_six
01-04-2007, 03:28 AM
well then i have been corrected - i have a couple of books here that refer to moss and seed stitch as the same thing :?? (ie.. moss (seed) stitch)... go figure.

Well i learnt something today :oops:

nadja la claire
01-04-2007, 09:07 AM
That looks really great :cheering:

I like to use moss stitch combined with cable stitches. It lends that Celtic look to the cables.

Nadja xxx

janelanespaintbrush
01-04-2007, 09:13 AM
well then i have been corrected - i have a couple of books here that refer to moss and seed stitch as the same thing :?? (ie.. moss (seed) stitch)... go figure.

Well i learnt something today :oops:

There are several versions of moss stitch, one of which looks like what we know as seed stitch in the US.

An explanation of US vs. UK. (http://www.knitting-and.com/knitting/patterns/stitches/moss.htm)
Yet another version. (http://cache.lionbrand.com/cgi-bin/faq-search.cgi?store=/stores/eyarn&faqKey=271)

five_six
01-04-2007, 09:17 AM
:doh: thanks jane, this dang UK/US thing, certainly makes life interesting...

:thumbsup:

BTW: now i'm gonna have to go find out what the UKites call seed stitch :out:

ahhh... aka 'seed stitch'... so i wonder if i knit an american moss stitch, what would i tell a UKer it was :??

redwitch
01-04-2007, 09:25 AM
Yes Dee, as soon as the damn Yanks catch up with the rest of the world, things will be a lot easier! :teehee:

So many patterns are US that you learn (and have to know) to check which conventions are being used in a pattern but Americans don't have the same problem very often, I think. By the way Mason I meant American seed stitch when I said moss stitch looks great in novelty wools. Much easier with an odd number of stitches! I'm a Kiwi.

Most amusing knitting Americanism: 'fingering' yarn. Ha ha snigger. :roflhard:

Sarah

five_six
01-04-2007, 09:26 AM

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

auburnchick
01-04-2007, 09:41 AM
Hi all! I couldn't resist showing you what I made (my fourth FO since learning how to knit in June). It's the Moss Grid Hand Towel in the Mason Dixon Knitting book. I used Plymouth Yarn - Linen Isle.

HamaLee
01-04-2007, 10:11 AM
That looks really great :cheering:

I like to use moss stitch combined with cable stitches. It lends that Celtic look to the cables.

Nadja xxx

This purse has cables on the body and I do love how it looks with the moss background rathere than reverse st st.

How interesting about the differences between UK/US stuff!

mulene
01-04-2007, 12:39 PM

Sarah

Oh my! :shock: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

mwedzi
01-04-2007, 07:46 PM

Sarah

now that you mention it! :rofl:

as an aside, i grew up with a couple of meanings for the word "nappy", the two related to each other but one of them a little vulgar. when i went to zimbabwe 11 years ago (how time flies!) and saw a sign that said "nappies for sale", i couldn't believe what i was reading. that's when i learned, oh in british english that means "diaper"!

oh, and your seed stitch or moss stitch or whatever it's called looks really pretty. i had thought they were the same thing, too. i hope i can remember the difference in the future.

five_six
01-04-2007, 07:49 PM
hmmm... i've always called 'diapers' a nappy - guess it's cause we are mostly british decent here.