PDA

View Full Version : Felted Potholders/Magic Loop HELP!

Frisby0
01-04-2007, 04:40 PM
I love this (http://www.knitpicks.com/Projects/itemid_50516220/projects_display) pattern. It's great if you like felting.

Ok, I am actually, coincidentally, working on these felted potholders now! I chose this as my first felting project. But I can't figure out how to incorporate the "magic loop" tecnique! I've watched the "magic loop" video but she does it from the beginning. I'm several rows into this, using the circular needles and I'm assuming I should switch to the Magic Loop method as it starts getting smaller but my brain can't wrap around how to do this without messing up the pattern! Also, the patter calls for a 24" cable but I think that's going to be too small because of the amount of stitches I'm working with.
Please, please, can someone steer me in the right direction with this please?!
TIA!!

Dain
Reading: Water For Elephants by Sara Gruen & Brothers Karamzov by Fyodor Dostoevsky

dplantlady
01-05-2007, 11:21 AM
It's not hard...really!

Just fold/pinch the nylon cable between two stitches (best not to do it right where your stitch markers are), pull up the "magic loop" and move the stitches to different parts of the needles. Simple!

And you don't have to keep the loop in the same place, you can move it in case you need to k2tog and one st is in one section & one is in the other.

HTH

Diane :hug:

Frisby0
01-05-2007, 11:29 AM
Thank you Diane! This makes sense to me and you answered my question perfectly!
And one more thing, am I correct in assuming that the longest cable I can attach, the easier this will be?

Thank you thank you!!

Dain

dplantlady
01-05-2007, 12:31 PM
Hi again,

You *may* be able to do it with a 24", but a little longer is better...

Good Luck

Diane

jessi_9783
01-05-2007, 01:51 PM
I'm sorry Dain, I'm just now seeing this. I agree with everything Diane said. Also, I find 24" to be to short for all but the smallest of projects. I used a 24" for a preemie baby hat when I was in a pinch and needed the hat fast. However, I'm convinced that only worked because of KPO's flexible cable. I use 32" for some projects, but my favorite length is 40".

Frisby0
01-05-2007, 05:06 PM
thanks for your comments. I was so freaked out about my predicament I just ended up ripping out the whole thing (I was more than 1/2 done) and starting over from scratch, using the ML method. It was too hard for me to jump in to ML in the middle of a project and never having done it before, I just made an executive decision to do it right from the start since that's the only way I've seen it demonstrated. Plus, I'm working with Denise Interchangables and as you know, they are less than perfect for this sort of project but I think I can make it work now that I've got a 40" cable attached. I'll keep you posted.
I love having so many "firsts" on one project-Felting, ML, etc.-what better way to learn, right? :wall:

five_six
01-06-2007, 09:44 AM
:teehee: Just an aside...

Diane - now you have an "i agree with Dianne 100%" type things that you can put in your sig...

Can't wait till someone agrees with me :teehee:

dplantlady
01-06-2007, 10:30 AM
Hehehehehe

. :roflhard: :rofl: :roflhard: :rofl:

Diane - now you have an "i agree with Dianne 100%" type things that you can put in your sig...

:waving:

Frisby,

I just ended up ripping out the whole thing (I was more than 1/2 done) and starting over from scratch

That's too bad...oh well, at least it wasn't an afghan that was half done!!!

Diane