PDA

View Full Version : OT: Got any Stew tips?

ChroniclesofYarnia
01-04-2007, 07:44 PM
I'm making some stew on the stove. It's been simmering for hours, but is still watery. It tastes great, but how do I thicken it without changing the flavor too much?

Also, if you have some good recipes I would love them. I make Italian Stew everytime, which can get a bit old. :)

Thanks!

AnreeAce
01-04-2007, 07:57 PM
Melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium-high, add 2 tablespoons of flour and stir constantly until the roux turns a deep shade of blonde.

Stir that into your stew a little bit at a time, letting the stock simmer for a couple of minutes in between.

Still not thick enough? Do it again.

I've got stew recipes at home, lemme see what I can come up with.

Oh yeah, and try dredging the meat for your stew in flour before you brown it off, it helps things thicken up quicker!

five_six
01-04-2007, 07:58 PM
exactly what i was gonna say, but sometimes i just get a tablespoon of butter and make a paste with it and some plain flour, then put this paste into the stew - works the same way, but you don't have the extra dirty pot, which is always a bonus!

ChroniclesofYarnia
01-04-2007, 08:14 PM
I didn't know you could add roux to a stew, I thought you had to add liquids to it. I make alot of sauces from roux (the flour/fat paste), but never knew that it works the other way. I was really worried about flour lumps or something. lol.

Many thanks!

AnreeAce
01-04-2007, 08:16 PM
If you're worried about lumps, stir some of the stock into the roux before you add it to the pot.

suecq
01-04-2007, 08:24 PM
Mix 2-3 TBLSP cornstarch with 1/4 cup cold water. Wisk until smooth. SLowly drizzle into stew mixture.

five_six
01-04-2007, 08:26 PM
i don't often use cornstarch (or cornpowder where i come from), i find it gives a different (can't quite explain in what way different) result and i usually just reserve that for asian cooking... i use a roux generally for most things, and have never had a problem with it lumping (unless i dump it in and walk away :doh: )

aylaanne
01-04-2007, 09:30 PM
Definitely add a roux. I also usually add pepper to my flour whenever I'm mixing it.

I'm a big stew person and I'm famous for my Samhain stew which I make every Halloween. I coat the meat in flour before I brown it, and the stew thickens up beautifully every time.

I also always have potatoes or rice in my stew, and the starch in the vegetables also adds thickness.

Good luck! Now I'm hungry!