PDA

View Full Version : Circular Knitting (I think I can...)

JoeE
01-04-2007, 10:33 PM
Because no one is around who is the least bit impressed, I'm sharing my first circular knitting with you'se guys. It is a bit awkward, but it does seem to be getting easier. Not sure if its because it just gets easier as the works gets a bit longer or if my hands are actually getting accustomed to dealing with four needles.

Anyway, here's a pic of my first couple of inches of circular knitting. For most of you all, this is probably old hat, but it's something I never would have tried w/out Amy's videos on this site (she rocks!).

madametj
01-04-2007, 10:42 PM
:cheering: good job! ur better than me, i still havent been successful in completing any in-the-round project (not yet at least....)

you know you can, you know you can! :happydance:

five_six
01-04-2007, 11:00 PM
that looks great - are you encountering much of a problem with laddering at the changeover point?

:heart: your sticks btw :heart:

Ingrid
01-04-2007, 11:07 PM
Looks good! It's always starting a project on dpn's, and you will find a comfortable way to hold all the needles comfortably. Good for you!

Jan in CA
01-04-2007, 11:14 PM
Excellent! Starting a project on DPNs is difficult, but practice also makes it easier.

...dotty...
01-04-2007, 11:31 PM
That looks wonderful !
Starting always seems to be awkward on dpns, but learning to knit with them is the one technique I'm the most thankful for learning! Yours looks just perfect.

If you do have trouble with the 'ladder' look, where you switch from one needle to the next..........tighten up the second stitch when switching to the next needle ! This was suggested to me , and has helped me immensely !

By the way, you can always come here and show us.........we love to see the progress !

DreamWeaver
01-04-2007, 11:51 PM
Way to go! :thumbsup: isn't it great when you finally get something you've been working on?

JoeE
01-05-2007, 12:01 AM
I'm noticing more of a ladder consistently when I get back to the original join. Is that typical? It's nothing I'm too worried about, because I expect most people wouldn't notice. I don't see it too much where I switch between needles, but I'm really trying to carefully knit the first stitch on each needle. Back when I was mad about quilting, the rule was if a person riding by on a horse wouldn't notice it, it wasn't worth sweating over.

I got a little bolder and started K2P2 ribbing. Purling isn't my strong point even with flat pieces, but it's more of a challenge for sure with DPNs.

The worst thing is that twice (no not just once, TWICE) I have grabbed what I thought was the empty needle and pulled out one holding stitches. Good practice I guess--especially on the ribbing, because when I tried to load it back on the needle, I dropped a few stitches. I picked them up as best I could and waited until I got to that point to untwist and correct the stitches. The next time it happened, I decided it would be prudent to thread a tapestry needle and grab all the stitches that way. I'm a fairly tight knitter (at least I think I am), so I don't have a lot of extra yarn to work with. The thinner tapestry needle was *much* easier to pick up stitches with.

Thanks for the encouragement!
Joe

Compulsive
01-05-2007, 12:37 AM
You are braver than I, as I gave up on DPNs after I kept dropping or shooting them out of my knitting. I learned Magic Loop out of desperation.

Your knitting on DPNs looks awesome. :happydance:

redwitch
01-05-2007, 02:06 AM
I love DPNs! Keep in mind for the future that if you are not completely happy working with them, there's always magic loop and 2 circulars.
Glad you're not having trouble with ladders at every join, just once a round. I say try knitting every first stitch of a round super-tight to fix that. And your cast-on tail can be used later to sew up the gap. I promise that very soon you will stop feeling like you have not enough hands/fingers, and too many needles.
There are a couple of ways I've heard to prevent this occurring in the first few rounds: some people cast on an extra stitch, and when they join and are about to knit the first stitch of the cast-on round, add the first stitch from the other end of the cast-on, and knit those two together.
I've tried it and I find this way much better: switch the first and last stitch when you are joining the cast-on row into a round., so they take each other's places, with one of them going through the other stitch. Crochet hook very helpful here. Pull both strands tight as you knit the first few stitches.

Also, make sure you use a proper slipknot when you make the first stitch as you cast on, not just any knot. You can find instructions for this on the net, probably also on one of the knittinghelp videos.
When you do this, pulling on one strand will tighten the knot, and one strand will loosen it. PLEASE MAKE SURE that it is the TAIL that tightens the knot, NOT the end going to the ball, otherwise the first stitch will get irreversibly loose and floppy. Then tighten the stitch by tugging on the tail.
Doing both of these gives me a completely invisible join, and when I weave in the end later, I make a stitch or two that looks like a cast-on stitch, so you don't see an interruption. It's completely invisible.

Having said that, no-one's likely to notice, so don't fuss over anything that won't bother you. Congratulations on learning a new technique. I personally have a fetish for lace socks. Hope you'll join me now that you can do socks.
Sarah

kristinw
01-05-2007, 09:06 AM
I am so impressed! :cheering: This is my next challenge. I may just do like you and just go for it. I'd rather practice before delving into a real project.

ecb
01-05-2007, 10:04 AM
its looking GREAT
I love working with DPN when the occasion calls for it
right now I M working on the partition in my Bag, and sometimes on the handles when I get bored

ecb

Lieke
01-05-2007, 11:11 AM
You did a great job. I always thought it was hard to work with DPN's but you just have to try it and it's not that hard after all when you had a bit of practice. I found out that for me with small projects 5 small needles work better than 4 larger needles. I just kept feeling I was about to poke an eye or something with those long needles (and that's really hard, concidering I wear glasses). Now I started on socks on 5 shorter DPN's and I love it. No poking needles and I think it's more comfortable to hold as well. But that's my preference. I'm sure that's different with other people.

candy
01-05-2007, 11:52 AM
When I work on dpn I make the first three stitches on every needle tight. That way I don't get any ladders. When I just made the first stitch tight on every needle I would get a ladder. It works for me.

...dotty...
01-05-2007, 05:44 PM
That's crazy wild, about pulling out the whole wrong needle, isn't it ?

I've done that atleast twice !

And when trying to teach a friend to knit.......out of the blue, she just pulled HER needle out of the whole row of stitches, and said, "Now, what do I do if this happens?" It took my breath away ! :gah:

I said, "It could HAPPEN, but don't do that again !" Then I helped her learn to put the stitches back on and figure out if they were twisted as she came to them.

JamOKnit
01-05-2007, 06:42 PM
Way to go!!! Your stuff looks great! I was intimidated at first by DPNs but once I got the hang of holding them, I was a knitting fool and I cranked out two hats in no time! So far, my favorite way to knit in the round. But, my KP Options are right now en route to my house courtesy of USPS, so that may change soon! :teehee:

Braden
01-05-2007, 09:51 PM
Yep, now you can make socks.