PDA

View Full Version : OT: The Food Pyramid Healthy Eating Plan

Shandeh
01-04-2007, 11:28 PM
Okay, it's the new year, and time to shed those extra pounds. Some of us have decided to pursue healthier eating by using the US Food Pyramid as a guide.

I believe that if I keep myself filled with the PROPER foods, I won't be hungry for JUNK!

Here is the website for the Food Pyramid.
http://www.mypyramid.gov/index.html

You just enter your age, gender, and activity level, and you'll get a food pyramid to use as a guide. There are also worksheets and daily printouts you can use to help you to eat properly every day.

I've been following the plan now for about 3 days, and I feel MUCH better. Hopefully, I'll even lose some weight! :)

Come on and join the Pyramid Power Eaters Group!

DreamWeaver
01-04-2007, 11:54 PM
That looks really cool. I don't think I could do it, but it sounds really cool! :cheering:

Jenelle
01-04-2007, 11:55 PM
I'm starting tomorrow! :cheering: :blooby:

Shandeh
01-05-2007, 02:31 AM
Yay Jenelle! :cheering:

So far, Ingrid, Stine, Jenelle, and I have joined up to be Pyramid Power Eaters! :)

Today, I had grits and tea for breakfast, pineapple with cottage cheese for a snack, grilled chicken, corn, tomatoes and okra, and sweet peas for dinner, and a piece of cake for dessert. (Yeah, I cheated with the cake, but it was my only break from the plan since Monday.) I also had a handful of almonds for an afternoon snack, since I didn't have lunch.

I can still have an apple with peanut butter before the day is through, so I'm doing pretty good.

Stiney
01-05-2007, 11:08 AM
:cheering: for Shandeh!

Yesterday I had an omelette for breakfast--not sure how many eggs, but with tomato and bell peppers and swiss cheese. Lunch was cheese ravioli with pesto, snack of grapes and an apple in the afternoon, another snack of whole wheat pita and garlic hummus, and dinner was half a cornish game hen with the potatoes/carrots/parsnips from the pot roast mom made. (I'm not a big red meat eater.)

I'm having hard time eating ENOUGH--there's not exactly much I can cut. :teehee:

Breakfast today was a bowl rice krispies with milk. I'm hungry, so I might go see if there's something healthy I can buy for a snack to tide me over to lunch.

ETA: The cafeteria was still open! I got a green apple! :cheering:

Note to self: if having cereal for breakfast, supplement it with something else.

jodstr2
01-05-2007, 12:07 PM
:cheering: nice find, Shandeh!!! :cheering:

I started exercising (fast walking on treadmill) on Tuesday. I'll use these food recommendations too!

Shandeh
01-05-2007, 08:40 PM
Stine, your food sounds WAY YUMMY!!!! :inlove:
Can I move in with you and do the pyramid plan together? :teehee:

Welcome Jodi!! :hug:

Shandeh
01-05-2007, 09:19 PM
I slept all day today, because I'm still not quite over my recent bout of Whooping Cough. (YES! Whooping Cough! Can you believe it's back?!)

Anyway, I stayed up all night knitting, and went to bed at 7 AM. I slept until almost 6 PM, so that was 11 hours. Hopefully, I've rested enough to help my body get better.

I haven't had much time to eat yet, but so far, I've had milk, a piece of cake (yes, I was stupid to make it yesterday), a tomato sandwich, and now I'm working on a turkey, tomato, and spinach sandwich. I'm trying to eat enough to make up for breakfast and lunch.

I asked my hubby to take the cake to work today, but he forgot apparently. So, I'll get him to take it tomorrow instead. I decided to make the cake yesterday, because I felt that we both deserved a treat for eating good all week, plus I have FIVE BOXES OF CAKE MIX and FIVE CONTAINERS OF FROSTING in my kitchen cabinet! (I must have gotten them on sale in the past few months.) So, now I'm trying to make all the cakes and get rid of them. They are too much of a temptation here with my food pyramid guidelines.

I figure that if I make them and send them to work with Marvin, his crew will eat them all in about a week. :thumbsup: I'm sure they won't mind taking care of them for me. :)

KnitClickChick
01-06-2007, 12:16 AM
Thanks for the cool site. That is a handy tool... I have been trying to eat better for a few weeks, and was wondering if I was eating enough of the good stuff. This will help!! :cheering:

RachelJean
01-06-2007, 01:46 PM
I plan to start eating better, too. I just have to get rid of all the leftover holiday goodies - cookies, fudge, candy etc. I know I should just throw it all out, but that seems so wasteful, so I end up eating it. :shrug:

Shandeh
01-06-2007, 02:37 PM
RachelJean, take it to someone's work, or send it to church. Let everyone else get bigger! :teehee:

Stiney
01-06-2007, 04:04 PM
We always take food into work when we're not going to eat it.

I was good yesterday, except for some mozzarella sticks. I only ate three though.

I got my oil changed/car tuned up today at the dealer, and they have a cafe and there was all this junk and delicious smelling food. Soooo hard to be good.

Shandeh
01-06-2007, 07:58 PM
Well, the mozzarella sticks count as a milk product, so that's not too bad.

(except for being fried in oil) :teehee:

Jeremy
01-06-2007, 10:33 PM
:cheering: for Shandeh!

Yesterday I had an omelette for breakfast--not sure how many eggs, but with tomato and bell peppers and swiss cheese. Lunch was cheese ravioli with pesto, snack of grapes and an apple in the afternoon, another snack of whole wheat pita and garlic hummus, and dinner was half a cornish game hen with the potatoes/carrots/parsnips from the pot roast mom made. (I'm not a big red meat eater.)

I'm having hard time eating ENOUGH--there's not exactly much I can cut. :teehee:

Breakfast today was a bowl rice krispies with milk. I'm hungry, so I might go see if there's something healthy I can buy for a snack to tide me over to lunch.

ETA: The cafeteria was still open! I got a green apple! :cheering:

Note to self: if having cereal for breakfast, supplement it with something else.
Try having oatmeal instead. Same calories, more fiber. For old fashioned oatmeal it only takes 6 min. at half power in a microwave. A little sweetner and a banana and you're in business until lunch :thumbsup:

RooGirl
01-06-2007, 10:39 PM
I just ordered a book on Amazon called " The Good Mood Diet: Fee Great While You Lose Weight". It's supposed to be great.. When it arrives, if you guys want, I'll post some of the ideas I find in the book. Would anyone be interested?

Ingrid
01-06-2007, 11:01 PM
I'd be interested. One of the reasons I wanted to start eating healthier is because when I don't eat, I feel really down and gloomy, which makes me want to eat even less.

I can't say I stuck to the pyramid today as well as I should, but I did eat breakfast (I'm becoming a big fan of oatmeal.) I kind of skipped over lunch and just snacked on some Chex Mix. I have to say that by dinner I was absolutely starving! I guess my body is getting used to being fed.

We went to Wendy's and I ordered a bacon & cheese potato, a Frescata anda full-sized salad. :oops: I didn't even open the salad--that'll be lunch tomorrow.

I definitely feel the difference after this week in my mood and energy level. :happydance:

RooGirl
01-06-2007, 11:12 PM
I recently bought a Jack LaLanne Juicer. Every morning, I make some fresh juice and I swear, I feel so much better!!! I'm not hungry until well into the afternoon, and have more energy, it's great.

As soon as the book arrives, I'll flip through it and see if I can find some helpful hints and fun facts to share. I read a lot about the book and the theories behind it before I ordered it. It seems like it's legit, and several studies seem to back up the information the book presents. So, we'll see what happens.

Ingrid
01-06-2007, 11:17 PM
My father had one of those healthy juicers, and when he went into a nursing home I think I took it here. I'll have to look for it--that would get me my fruits, for sure, though I don't think I'd be too fond of juice with veggies in it.

RooGirl
01-06-2007, 11:23 PM
The other day, I made vegetable soup using my juicer. It was much healthier than the canned soups and broth products in stores because it didn't have any sodium in it. I took approximately 12 roma tomatoes, celery, carrots, an onion, cilantro, parsley, potatoes, etc and juiced them. Then, I added the pulp, cut up some more veggies, added some herbs and spices, cooked it in my electric steamer/skillet for about an hour.. it was wonderful. It made enough for dinner for my husband and me, and lunch for both of us the next day.

Pixywhispers
01-07-2007, 12:46 AM
Thanks for posting this. Today at lunch we were talking about making our menu for the week and decided to base it on the food pyramid. Sowe will start with our fruit, then veggies and then add our main dishes.

We are also putting a pitcher of filtered water in the fridge for us all to share. My son who is also watching his weight was so excited that he had drank 4 cups today almost effortlessly. Cold water just tastes so much better to me. I also started buying the bottles of water in the case and keeping them in the truck so we have no excuse to buy cokes on errands. I must be maturing, cause I feel responsible, not like any of this is a drag. heh

I agree a bowl of cereal is not filling enough. I love Malt-O-Meal, even with butter, a tiny bit of brown sugar (or honey, stevia, or splenda) and a handful of raisins, or sometimes three handfulls of raisins, it'll keep me going till 2. :) Often it is my snack when I want to eat something bad.

Shandeh
01-07-2007, 12:58 AM
I'm WAY interested in what the book says. And I agree with Jeremy. Homemade oatmeal is SO much better than the instant junk. I like to cook mine on the stovetop though, with milk instead of water. YUM! :heart:

Hang in there, Ingrid! Don't fall off the pyramid!
http://www.cherylrainfield.com/encourage-believe--you.jpg

RooGirl
01-07-2007, 01:21 AM
I agree that cold water is the best thing!! Recently, I found crystalized lemon and lime powder that I can put in water. It's on the baking aisle in the grocery store it's called TrueLemon and TrueLime. It's great! It doesn't have any sugar or anything else in it that makes it bad for you. You should give it a try. The best thing is, it comes in little packets so you can take it around with you where ever you go.

Stiney
01-07-2007, 01:15 PM
Jeremy, I'd love that tip but I don't like oatmeal that much. :oops:

Doing pretty well. I rewarded myself with dessert when I went out to dinner last night: ice cream, bananas, and sopapillas. :drool:

Dilly
01-07-2007, 02:03 PM
My father had one of those healthy juicers, and when he went into a nursing home I think I took it here. I'll have to look for it--that would get me my fruits, for sure, though I don't think I'd be too fond of juice with veggies in it.

Despite my aversion to vegetables, I will drink juice or smoothies with veggies in them. I sometimes make a smoothie with yogourt, frozen fruit and a bit of milk or orange juice, and I will often sneak a carrot in there. It doesn't change the flavour at all.

Pixywhispers
01-07-2007, 06:12 PM
[quote="Shandeh"]I'm WAY interested in what the book says. And I agree with Jeremy. Homemade oatmeal is SO much better than the instant junk. I like to cook mine on the stovetop though, with milk instead of water. YUM! :heart:

[quote]

Oh yes! Cooking any of the hot cereals always tastes so much better on the stove! I hadnt made malt o meal on the stove in years till I had a big crowd over at Christmas, it was so very yummy! I also use milk when cooking hot cereals. If Im low I'll use half milk, half water. Better then no milk at all.

Cristy
01-07-2007, 10:15 PM
I'll take a look at the diet too--I'm already dying to loose this baby weight and I'm not even finished being pregnant yet!! LOL (although I'll only be pregnant for another week max b/c of the inducement)!! I've gained about 55 pounds and it's killing me (makes me wonder how I gained 87 the first time around and made it back down to a size 4?!?!?! :shrug: ) :shrug: . I can't really diet per se b/c I'll be nursing but I can eat healthier b/c it'll be good for the little one too. I eat pretty healthy right now but I am pregnant so I do strange things like make blondies at 9 p.m. or wake up at 3 a.m wanting swiss cheese and apples....

Shandeh
01-07-2007, 11:40 PM
Cristy, I had my first child when I was 21, and lost all but 10 pounds of the weight gain. I weighed 125, including the extra 10 pounds, and it actually made me look better.

I had my second child at 23, and lost all but an additional 10 more pounds. So, then I weighed 135, and didn't look too bad.

I had my third child at 30, and I NEVER LOST A POUND!!! In fact, I GAINED!!! I don't know what happened with that one. I do know that the first two deliveries were all natural, with no medication at all. My third delivery was handled with an epidural, and was absolute heaven! But I never lost my weight after that one, so maybe the epidural had something to do with it? :??

After that delivery, my health problems came full force. I have arthritis in my left knee, numbness all over my left side, and a thyroid condition. My weight has consistently gone up, and now I weigh over 200 pounds.

I'm trying to get better now, but I think I'm stuck with the arthritis and numbness. Oh well.

RooGirl
01-07-2007, 11:51 PM
The book is supposed to ship on or around the 8th. I'm going out of town on the 14th, I think. So, if it gets to me before I leave, I'll look through it and post some stuff as soon as I get back. If not, I'll try to post it as soon as possible after I get back and have a chance to look through it.

Emeraldcutie
01-08-2007, 09:10 AM
If anyone is interested my fav place for nutrition information is www.sparkpeople.com (they promote the food pyramid eating plan also)

Currently because of my schedule eating properly can be a challenge.
I read a book on basic eating habits. I started this year with getting my 8 glasses of water a day, and Iam slowly each week making another adjustment.
Another thing in the book was, if you want to get a quick start is to just lower the fat intake first. You are supposed to lower yourself to the fat intake of your goal weight, My goal is 155lbs, so my daily intake should be no more than 50grams.
Today is my 1 week weigh in and Iam down 2.5 lbs.

All I can really advise is, don't do anything drastic and out of the ordinary cause it never works. I did Herbal Magic last year, it was very expensive it did not fit our lifestyle at all. I ended up quiting after I lost 50lbs because of the cost - it ate into my yarn money..lol). I have been pretty lucky as I have not gained any of it back, but I have not lost anything else either.
I try not to think in the terms diet, because this has to be a permanent change and something I can live with the rest of my life, as our family is predisposed to being over weight and diabetics.

Hope Everyone else is doing terrific. Every change counts. :)

Stiney
01-08-2007, 10:25 PM
Is anyone else using the tracker?

I put my physical activity in as I do it, but I'm thinking I should "plan it" ahead of time. I go to the gym after work, so I only have dinner and a bit of a snack, and gym-ness seriously changes my needs for the day.

Jeremy
01-09-2007, 06:53 PM
I'll take a look at the diet too--I'm already dying to loose this baby weight and I'm not even finished being pregnant yet!! LOL (although I'll only be pregnant for another week max b/c of the inducement)!! I've gained about 55 pounds and it's killing me (makes me wonder how I gained 87 the first time around and made it back down to a size 4?!?!?! :shrug: ) :shrug: . I can't really diet per se b/c I'll be nursing but I can eat healthier b/c it'll be good for the little one too. I eat pretty healthy right now but I am pregnant so I do strange things like make blondies at 9 p.m. or wake up at 3 a.m wanting swiss cheese and apples....

Weight Watchers actually does incorporate nursing mothers into the plan. They give you extra points to account for the baby's needs.

RooGirl
01-09-2007, 11:43 PM
Okay, my book came much sooner than I had expected!!! I'm reading through it to see what might be relevant to everyone's needs. I'll compile a list and post it soon!

Jenelle
01-10-2007, 12:53 AM
I plan on starting the diet tomorrow. I was going to start this weekend, but it didn't end up happening then since I was sick.

I have been eating healthier(besides the hot chocolate with whipped cream on top today :pout: ), and I've started drinking more water.

I'm going to try and eat something for breakfast, though I might be an hour late doing so. I can't eat whenever I get up or the food just feels like a ball inside my tummy. Maybe I could eat fruit and light things for breakfast.

I'm happy to start this. :teehee:

Shandeh
01-10-2007, 03:56 AM
I'm still pursuing this pyramid eating plan. Yesterday, I did well, and I made myself go to the aquatics center to swim. I swam 7 laps (14 times back and forth), which took about 25 minutes. (I'm a slow swimmer.)

I've been pushing veggies on myself when I get hungry. I just buy a bunch of canned veggies to keep in the cabinets. I've been reading websites, because I was concerned that canned veggies might not be as good for me. But, according to the websites, canned veggies are fine. They say that the products are harvested, then quickly canned, so they retain much of their vitamins and nutrition. When you buy fresh veggies in the grocery store, sometimes you don't know how long they've been sitting around!

So, if I get hungry, I'll either grab a piece of fruit (I'm keeping a basket on the kitchen table, ready to grab), or I'll open a can of veggies and pour it into two bowls. I'll cover one bowl with cling wrap and put it in the fridge, and I'll zap the other bowl in the microwave. That way, I have something ready to grab later too!

Tonight, we went to Golden Corral (a family steakhouse) for dinner. We each got the buffet, and I looked all through the buffet for healthy choices. The only thing "bad" for me was the macaroni & cheese, but I couldn't resist! Everything else I ate was good for me. I had shrimp with cocktail sauce, cottage cheese, peaches, sunflower seeds and raisins, canteloupe, cooked cabbage, cooked carrots, and tea to drink. I was going to have salmon, but it didn't taste right, and it wasn't pink - it was BEIGE! :??

Stiney
01-10-2007, 11:10 AM
I'm glad you didn't risk it with the salmon! And yay for the gym!

Jenelle, that's a good idea about waiting for breakfast, especially at first. You might find yourself getting hungier earlier, because I find that happens with me.

This morning I had granola with milk and strawberries for breakfast. Lunch is vegetable samosas. Gym tonight!

Cristy
01-10-2007, 11:10 AM

Weight Watchers actually does incorporate nursing mothers into the plan. They give you extra points to account for the baby's needs.

Yes, I just saw this after I had made this post. My only concern was that they state that nursing moms need an additional 500 calories per day and in the past couple of years there have been several studies showing that this is no longer the case and it appears that it's more like 200 calories per day. In the end, I have NO PROBLEMS consuming calories (LOL) so I don't really worry about it--I just want to make sure I'm following a diet for breastfeeding moms that doesn't force me to take in too many calories (or not enough) b/c of their "program model". I looked through the food pyramid stuff and selected a higher level of activity than I actually have so that the plan they wrote would require additional calories for me. In the end, it'll probably be a little while before I start on anything. Thanks for the heads up though--I'm not opposed to anything at this point!

Shandeh
01-11-2007, 04:28 AM
Yesterday must have been my day off. I ate REALLY BAD all day, and never exercised. But I'm not gonna let it get me down. I'll just chalk it up to a bad experience, and eat good again today.

Stiney
01-11-2007, 10:38 AM
:cheering:

You can do it, Sandy! Don't let one day get you down! :muah:

Shandeh
01-11-2007, 01:24 PM
Thank you, Stine! :heart:

Stiney
01-11-2007, 01:34 PM
:heart:

I've been slightly discouraged 'cause I have no patience. I should have lost at least a pound, but niente! Don't think I've even lost inches.

Just have to buckle down and keep at it, though. Wish my brother's treadmill wasn't broken so I could use that to walk on my non-gym days.

Today for breakfast I had granola, milk, and strawberries. :drool: And lunch was my leftover Indian food that I made last week--a jar of curry simmer sauce from Trader Joe's. It says to add a lb of chicken, which I did, but I also added a can of peas, a couple of potatoes, onions, and garlic. (Can never have too much garlic.) Served over brown basmati rice.

Shandeh
01-11-2007, 01:37 PM
OMG Stine, my mouth is watering now! :drool:

Stiney
01-11-2007, 02:27 PM
See? It's pretty easy to eat healthy!

I think I remember you talking about Trader Joe's, get thee to a store and buy a jar! It's realllly simple. I wouldn't add the full jar of water like the directions say, though--I find it a bit watery. And if you cook it longer to thicken the sauce, the chicken gets a bit dry.

The jars are in the aisle with the Indian and Thai food, usually. I :heart: me some Trader Joe's.

Kirochka
01-11-2007, 03:25 PM
There's a Trader Joe's in Cary, NC if that's near you, Sandy.

Stiney
01-11-2007, 08:02 PM
Dinner was Boca Burgers (vegetarian burgers), green beens, and salad.

G-pa said the burgers weren't bad. He ate two (they were kinda small anyway.) The green beans were a little undercooked--half perfect, half too hard, even for me. Salad could've used more olive oil according to him, but I thought it was okay.

Dinner wasn't half-bad. :teehee:

(Just us. Mom and Butt-fink are meeting Dad for A Discussion About Michael's Future.)

Shandeh
01-11-2007, 11:05 PM
No Trader Joes near me. :verysad: Cary is near Raleigh, which is about 3 hours away from me.

Stiney
01-11-2007, 11:18 PM
:psst: Maybe a food fairy can send you some non-perishables. :psst: :whistle:

Shandeh
01-12-2007, 06:20 AM
:flirt: :star:

Stiney
01-12-2007, 10:40 AM

:psst: The food fairy doesn't have your address :psst:

Shandeh
01-12-2007, 03:28 PM

:psst: The food fairy doesn't have your address :psst:
Man, that food fairy needs a new secretary!! :rofl:

brendajos
01-12-2007, 03:57 PM
I've been pushing veggies on myself when I get hungry. I just buy a bunch of canned veggies to keep in the cabinets. I've been reading websites, because I was concerned that canned veggies might not be as good for me. But, according to the websites, canned veggies are fine. They say that the products are harvested, then quickly canned, so they retain much of their vitamins and nutrition. When you buy fresh veggies in the grocery store, sometimes you don't know how long they've been sitting around!

I haven't really been following this thread much but i was just skimming it and saw this. First of all, if your store has a big problem with "unfresh" veggies there is a problem and you should find a new store.

The fact that the can the veggies right away is true but i still think you lose something in canned veggies...I think frozen are better than canned even.

One of the big reasons I think canned are so bad is the sodium content. It is ridiculous and finding canned veggies without added sodium can be a challenge if your store doesn't offer a lot of that (ask! a lot of times they will get the stuff if people are asking for it.) at the very least, make sure you are reeeeeeeally rinsing the veggies to get as much sodium off as possible but even better....go fresh or frozen! :thumbsup:

Stiney
01-12-2007, 04:02 PM
I think canned veggies taste the worst, too. It's easier to freeze veggies without adding junk than it is to can them, I think. Plus once cooked they usually taste fresher. Fresh usually tastes the best, but there's no way I'd buy fresh peas--too lazy, and frozen taste just as good!

Sandy, if you're already going to the grocery store for meat, you could always buy your fresh veggies that day, too. Then they're only sitting in your house for a couple of hours.

Plus raw carrots and celery are good munch, crunchy snacks. (I use a teensy bit of ranch on the carrots and peanut butter on the celery.) Brocolis good for that, too, if you like it. ( :ick: )

Shandeh
01-12-2007, 04:12 PM
Oh, don't get me wrong. I buy fresh veggies all the time! I was just wondering if canned veggies were worth buying at all, so I did some research on the internet about them. I was just forwarding the information I found.

Right now, I have broccoli, carrots, potatoes, onions, squash, cucumbers and tomatoes in the house, and they are all fresh.

Sometimes, I get hungry between meals, and I think it's better that I'm grabbing a can of peas, than to be grabbing a candy bar! :teehee:

Stiney
01-12-2007, 04:13 PM
Very true! Today's snack for me is a green apple with a school-size container of skim milk. :teehee:

Kirochka
01-12-2007, 04:28 PM
From everything I've read, Sandy is absolutely right about "fresh" vegetables in grocery stores. Unless you're buying stuff that's just been harvested at a farm right near the store (unlikely) and that's in season (also unlikely), you're getting stuff that's been stored and shipped (often long distances) - and has lost nutrients along the way. Plus it may taste disgusting (most US grocery store tomatoes are bred for hardiness in shipping and uniformity of shape and color, not taste. I don't know about you all, I can't eat them unless they're cooked first). I'm not arguing against buying "fresh" vegetables, I'm just saying that they're not exactly "fresh off the farm" and at their best when you buy them in SuperMegaGiantMart. :shrug:

Shandeh
01-12-2007, 08:34 PM
Karen is standing up for me! :muah:

brendajos
01-12-2007, 08:46 PM
i would still argue against canned veggies just about any day of the week. I don't deny buying canned black beans and tomatoes (only kind of tomatoes i deal with beyond the sun dried, cherry, or grape variety....not a fan of the tomato really...lol) because they are easier to deal with but you have to look at the ingredient list. There is no reason for an ingredient list in a can of veggies to be "green beans, water, salt" (wanna talk about the fit i threw at christmas when i read that list while draining for green bean casserole?...:shifty:) I know it is more expensive to buy the no-salt varieties a lot of times but i can't help but think it is worth it to not be adding extra cwap you don't need to your diet.

(have i ever mentioned how worked up i get by all the added ingredients in foods that by all rights should just be sold to us naturally? when i see chicken that says "all natural" on the packaging and it has added broth it reeeeeeally yanks my chain. yes i get that the broth is "natural" but i don't know too many chickens that have that broth already in them....grrrrr)

Shandeh
01-12-2007, 10:07 PM
Brenda, you should meet a friend of mine. She is so much like you! She is so engrossed in nutrition, food, exercise and vitamins. I always call her when I have a question about any of that stuff.

She's a sweetheart too. :heart:

She has been taking me under her wing, and is patiently tolerating my "beginner status" in my healthy eating journey. She is happy with me for staying away from candy now, and is trying to convince me to make my own carrot juice and drink it every day. (Little does she know....I've never had carrot juice of ANY kind!) :teehee:

brendajos
01-12-2007, 10:49 PM
umm...yeah i am eating cheetos right now....lol i have decided that they are going to be part of the dairy food group! :teehee:

Shandeh
01-13-2007, 03:27 AM
umm...yeah i am eating cheetos right now....lol i have decided that they are going to be part of the dairy food group! :teehee:
GREAT plan!!! :roflhard:

I'm having some Ginger Snaps and a cup of milk right now, because my belly is hurting from the steak and shrimp we had for dinner. The steak was ON SALE at the grocery store for 8 dollars - TWO nice NY Strip Steaks in the same package! The shrimp was in our freezer at home, and I had completely forgotten about it. Marvin grilled the steaks (I marinated them for 3 hours), and I made spinach salad with red bell pepper, cucumbers and carrots. It was a nice dinner. :heart:

Kirochka
01-13-2007, 10:24 AM
(have i ever mentioned how worked up i get by all the added ingredients in foods that by all rights should just be sold to us naturally?

No :!!!: !!!! I always, always read labels - it's very difficult to find things, for example, that don't have high-fructose corn syrup in them (and it's bad for you for SO many reasons). Except for beans and tomatoes, we too usually don't buy canned vegetables (except corn to throw into chili or other stews).

There's lots out there on the web about the HFCS - here (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2004/02/18/FDGS24VKMH1.DTL)'s just one of the articles. It's long, but worth reading.

Kirochka
01-13-2007, 10:25 AM
P.S. Sandy, carrot juice is very tasty!

Shandeh
02-13-2007, 10:30 AM
I'm a bad girl. I seemed to have forgotten that I'm on the pyramid eating plan.
:doh:

So, today I'm re-enlisting. I haven't really been eating bad, but I haven't been eating enough of the right foods. My hubby and I have been SO busy, that we have just been eating to survive, like we used to. Just grabbing what was convenient.

I CANNOT continue eating that way, because it doesn't do anything good for me at all. I feel tired, fussy, and heavy. Not a good thing.

Back to the pyramid I go.

Shandeh
02-15-2007, 02:09 PM
OK, yesterday was my official "avoid the pyramid entirely" day. All that Valentine's candy was just TOO MUCH of a temptation. Plus, all of my students have been giving me sweets - some of it HOMEMADE!!! How could I say no to THAT!?!

Ingrid
02-15-2007, 02:20 PM
I can't say I've exactly been following the pyramid, but I have been making a point to eat three decent meals a day, and including a lot more salad. On the days (mostly when I'm home) that I don't eat properly, I feel it.

Stiney
02-15-2007, 02:34 PM
I've still been trying to keep up, though not as well as I could on most days.

Ingrid, I'm like you. Days off are the worst, because I have no structure to my meals. I just eat when I feel like it.

I made a deeeeelicious smoothie for lunch yesterday, and had the rest for breakfast today. 2 Bananas, a cup of frozen strawberries (the kind with no added sugar), some fruit yogurt, and juice (orange-pineapple, and mango juice). It was super thick, and super delicious.

projectgal
02-15-2007, 04:57 PM
OK, yesterday was my official "avoid the pyramid entirely" day. All that Valentine's candy was just TOO MUCH of a temptation. Plus, all of my students have been giving me sweets - some of it HOMEMADE!!! How could I say no to THAT!?!

I don't think you avoided the pyramid, just created a new one. Baked goods on the bottom, chocolate in the middle and those conversation hearts on top! :happydance:

Shandeh
02-16-2007, 12:30 AM
Oooo!!! I like THAT pyramid!!! :drool:

I think I'll pack my stuff and head over there! :teehee:

Stiney
02-26-2007, 05:11 PM
Hey,

I've been wondering something.

The pyramid recommends staying away from fruit juices because they have lots of sugar and no fiber. What about something like a smoothie? You throw the whole fruit in and blend it and drink it. If you don't add any sugar/honey, it's just whatever was in the fruit. And the whole fruit is in the drink, so does it still have the necessary fiber?

Shandeh
02-26-2007, 05:57 PM
I would think that a fruit smootie without juice would be WAY healthy!
:thumbsup: