PDA

View Full Version : help with increases!!

belle4u
01-06-2007, 02:48 PM
Hey all,
I don't understand what this pattern is asking of me. I was wondering if anyone could help? It says "Inc 1 st at each end"...

Is the correct interpretation that I start my row with 1 stitch, increase one stitch, one before the end of the same row, add another stitch, then do my last stitch. Flip and repeat???

thanks for any input.

kate

Ingrid
01-06-2007, 02:54 PM
You got it!

Yarnlady
01-07-2007, 09:13 AM
I would have read it and executed it as a KFB on the first and last sts. Is it just a "common knitting knowledge"* thing that there should be a normal K st at each end with the increase being excuted on the second and second to last sts? :?? EMWTK :teehee:

*like always sl a st as if to purl unless stated otherwise

Ingrid
01-07-2007, 11:19 AM
Many people like to increase one stitch in to keep the edge even.

of troy
01-07-2007, 11:44 AM
re:Is it just a "common knitting knowledge"* thing that there should be a normal K st at each end with the increase being excuted on the second and second to last sts?

it's not common knowledge.

it's something you learn!

it is one of many "best practices" that have evolved.

Its not required, it just make sewing up/finishing easer..and the finished garment a little nicer looking.

You can start a garment with the same size needles you intend to knit with.

but ribbing often looks sloppy--so most knitters have learned to knit ribbing with smaller needles to make them as attractive as stocking knit stitch.

You can make your increases on the very last/very first stitch.

But most agree, they look better done 1 to 3 stitches away from the edge.

It's your knitting..do it any way that you want.
and remember there are often a half dozen ways to do anything in knitting, since not everyone (or at times, even most) agrees about anything!

belle4u
01-08-2007, 12:18 AM
its nice to know that i am on the right track!

hunterjenn
01-08-2007, 02:02 PM
Wait, wait--go back:

Is that true?? I always slip as if to knit, unless stated otherwise!! Am *I* totally confused?

suzeeq
01-08-2007, 05:46 PM
Wait, wait--go back:

Is that true?? I always slip as if to knit, unless stated otherwise!! Am *I* totally confused?

I dunno, no one told me all these `rules' of knitting when I started - I taught myself. When I ran into a sl st on a pattern, I slipped it kw if it was on a knit side and pw if it was on a purl side unless the pattern said different. I don't slip the edge stitch either.

It's mostly whatever makes the stitches and your knitting *look* right.

sue

hunterjenn
01-08-2007, 07:26 PM
LOL--K, good to know. That's how I slip stitches, too, and I don't slip my 1st stitch either, since it makes patterns too weird for me. I'm self-taught, too, so once it a while I have to wonder if I'm doing something "wrong," even though I'm happy with how things turn out. :eyebrow: