PDA

View Full Version : OT: What crazy weather!

Kaydee
01-06-2007, 03:48 PM
Its 70 degrees, sunny, and beautiful! :shock: Who could've thought you could be wearing shorts and a t-shirt in Jan?! Anyone else having great weather?

Angelia
01-06-2007, 03:52 PM
Same here in the South! It's been warm for a couple of weeks--record-setting warmth, actually. The trees are budding! :shock:

dustinac
01-06-2007, 04:27 PM
We are not that warm but in the high 50s.. which is odd.. I keep seeing wasps and flies.. and those bettles are hanging around... It is nice but I gotta kinda wonder how this summer will be if we don't have a few good snows... Last winter was mild and you couldn't enjoy the summer cause of all the bugs... :teehee:

Stiney
01-06-2007, 05:01 PM
Our winter wasn't mild last year. Brrr.

What a nice April day we've had! I just can't figure out why people still have their Christmas decorations out and are only just throwing out their trees. :rofl:

nadja la claire
01-06-2007, 05:15 PM
The sun is shining, theres a lovely breeze and it's so warm that we've got the doors and windows open. I have a terrible feeling that we're really going to pay for this.

Nadja xxx

niffer
01-06-2007, 06:23 PM
I'm in Wales. Its cold and raining.

It's always cold and raining in Wales except for two weeks sometime between June and September where everyone gets sunstroke and turns into lobsters.

:roflhard: :rofl: :roflhard: :rofl:

brendajos
01-06-2007, 06:32 PM
I really think people should be concerned about this for lots of reasons. *fret fret fret*

iza
01-06-2007, 06:38 PM
No sign of winter in Montreal either. I spent the holidays 600km NORTH of Montreal and there was hardly any snow!!! :shrug:

JLC
01-06-2007, 06:40 PM
It's been rainy and very foggy today. Around 45 degrees. Very strange for January.

mks22300
01-06-2007, 07:07 PM
Where is winter? I actually kinda like the snow and there hasn't been any here since, sheesh, I don't even remember! Plus, I want it to freeze so the stupid mutant ladybugs and other weird bugs disappear!

mulene
01-06-2007, 07:37 PM
apparently in Moscow a week before Christmas it was +5c degrees. It is usually -15 degrees (thats centigrade) and they had not seen even one drop of snow!

Here in London it is mild. Global warming for sure =D

Dilly
01-06-2007, 07:50 PM
I'm in New Brunswick, Canada and currently it's 11C (52F) and somewhat rainy with a chance of Thunderstorms tonight! :shock: The normal/average temperature for today should be a daytime high of -4C (25F).

I love a good Canadian winter and I'm dearly missing it right now. I haven't been out snowboarding yet this season because I refuse to go pay $20 to ride down 2 hills that are only open because of machine-made snow. :pout:

blueeyes28
01-06-2007, 07:51 PM
It was 68 where I live today we broke the record set in 1949 of 53 degree's in January.

dustinac
01-06-2007, 08:26 PM
I really think people should be concerned about this for lots of reasons. *fret fret fret*

yeah I think so too.. and I like flurries.. sit and knit and watch it snow.. :teehee: plus since last year my kids have been waiting to go sleigh riding... last year we just got a skiff of snow.. this year we have only seen a flurry or two.. they have snow pants and boots ready to go though :rofl:

rohanknitter
01-06-2007, 08:46 PM
It's in the mid 40's here today in IL-- warmer than normal but not freakishly so.

cheesiesmom
01-06-2007, 08:54 PM
brendajo wrote I really think people should be concerned about this for lots of reasons. *fret fret fret*

We've had an unusually mild winter in SE Michigan too, so far, but according to the local weather people it is not global warming (not that it isn't something to worry about) but the el ninos (sp?) phenomenom which is cyclical and occurs periodically. Apparently '84 was the last time we had this kind of strange weather.

I do remember several winters when we (Michigan) had incredible amounts of snow and then followed by a couple of years of really weird, warm winters.

As an old person who is extremely a'feared of falling and breaking something, I love mild winters. (Except when the precip is on the cusp between rain and snow and we get an ice storm and it knocks out all the power for days and days.)

Knitting_Guy
01-06-2007, 09:24 PM
It took me 3 1/2 hours to get around Atlanta yesterday thanks to the weather and the wrecks it caused.

Ingrid
01-06-2007, 09:31 PM
It was about 70 around here today, too. January is usually the coldest in these parts--it's the warmest it's been since 1870-something. The main concern around is that the apple trees and grapes will be tricked into trying to bloom and they'll lose the whole crop. But it's supposed to be near 35 by the end of the week.

We have only had the slightest dusting of snow so far--I honestly don't mind not having to deal with snow, but it can't be good for the ecology in general.

Remind me I said that when we've got two feet on the ground. :teehee:

Knitting_Guy
01-06-2007, 09:38 PM
Keep in mind that in geologic terms we are just ending an ice age so it is only normal that it would be warming up. According to ice core samples the planet has been much warmer in the past so it will likely be warmer in the future.

itsazoo
01-06-2007, 10:53 PM
I'm glad to hear some of you wish you had snow. People usually think I'm crazy to want winter to come. I hate the weather we're having. Today I was out in short sleeves. In JANUARY. In NEW YORK. The bugs are driving me crazy, flies, beetles and WASPS! My daffodils are coming up and so is the asparagus.

I really want some winter weather especially snow!

imported_Knitty_Kat
01-07-2007, 01:51 AM
It took me 3 1/2 hours to get around Atlanta yesterday thanks to the weather and the wrecks it caused.

Yeah, yesterday was horrifying here. Tornado warnings, flash floods, car accidents everywhere. I pity anyone who had to brave the storm. I cleaned and knitted all day yesterday. Although, I did have to let five dogs out to do their business in the mudhole that was once our backyard. That was fun. I have three relatively normal canines and two who think they are fairy princesses and they stand there shifting their paws to try and keep them from getting wet, all the while looking at me like I've just totally done them wrong. :teehee:

Lieke
01-07-2007, 04:53 AM
Well, the weather is not only crazy in the US, but over the whole world. Here in Europe, skiing season is really late. Normally, you're able to ski in the christmasbreak, but most skiing areas are snow-less. Here in the Netherlands it's also really hot. I have to wear a coat, since it's 50F here, but normally it's a lot colder. I finished my scraf this summer, but I don't have to wear it. I only wear it because I want to wear it, but it's not necessary at all. Normally we are below 40F here in the Netherlands in January. And no sign of winter coming soon.

Virtuella
01-07-2007, 06:42 AM
It is raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining raining here.

I need my scuba gear!

nadja la claire
01-07-2007, 11:06 AM
Yesterday it was 73 here. Today it's supposed to be cooler, between 54 to 60. Our average temps for this time of year are in the 20s or 30s. They're saying that this is a combo of global warming and El Nino. I don't know what is causing it and I'm not going to speculate. :shrug: I do know that my bulbs are sprotting and my dogwood and cherry and magnolia are starting to bud. We're only supposed to have one day this week in the 40s and they're saying that it's going to stay this way for the next couple of weeks.

Nadja xxx

cgd
01-07-2007, 11:06 AM
Here in Mississippi it's 60+ and raining. This winter it's gone from 20 degrees one morning to 75 and sunny to 50s and raining and everything in between. That's usual for our short winters here, but this year it seems like it's more of a rollercoaster.

mwedzi
01-07-2007, 12:28 PM
Of course Chicago would be the one place where it's still cold. *pout* Not as cold as usual, but a high today of 38 and a low of 31. Definitely not spring, and nowhere near record breaking warmth.

I'm still in southern CA, where we are having not atypical warm in the day and cool at night weather. It's just that now everybody else is the same temp as us!

My friend in NY hates that it's been so warm. He says he feels like the holidays didn't even happen.

ecb
01-08-2007, 06:19 PM
I asked my Mother
she says there have been wonters like this before
the local Ski hill has a record of one winter they would never have opened all year without some man made snow
and another year they only opened 3 days the entire season
Mom says every 7-10 years we have a mud Season instead of a true winter
The only snow is followed by a rain, and no long term Ground freezing frost

I also believe this is somthing to be worried about

nuf sed?

ecb

mrs desert rain
01-08-2007, 06:34 PM
the road to our house (which is about an hour north of taos) has been impassable for almost a month now, and a new snow is expected later this week. and when i say impassable, i mean the snow drifts are too deep for a dually truck to pass...

meanwhile, the DH and i are in austin, where it's sunny and mid-60s today.

:?eyebrow:

i'm concerned, to say the least...

temergency
01-08-2007, 06:44 PM
We are getting snow now and expected to get a foot before morning. This will be only our third storm this year with enough nice weather in between to have the snow melt! We usually get around 300" of snow a year so we are way behind but I know we can't be lucky for long! Sending flurries to all you who love them!!!! :woohoo:

JLC
01-08-2007, 07:25 PM
I only remember one other winter (not counting last year) where we really didn't have much snow - I was 9 or 10 so 1986-1987ish, but this weather just seems really "not right". My grandmother used to love to tell the story of when my father was little, they had so much snow one year, that they could sit on the windowsill of a 2nd story window and have their feet straight out on the snow. We never got THAT much snow that I ever remember, but it was always way more than this.

We did get a few inches this morning, but with the rain that came after, there's only a little bit left.

letah75
01-09-2007, 07:29 PM
It was 70 and warm yesterday/today, basically no snow level...and by Thursday (two days from now) it's supposed to get down to 23 and a snow level of 200 feet.

:wall: <---Put my spring/summer clothes away, get out the winter clothes. Put the winter clothes away, get out the spring/summer clothes. It's getting so I need a revolving closet.

mks22300
01-09-2007, 08:15 PM
It finally looks like a Western NY winter! :cheering:

Of course, give it a few weeks and I'll be wishing for the mild weather we were having. :teehee: