PDA

View Full Version : knitting method poll

hydeemarie
01-06-2007, 05:42 PM
Here is a question...

Vendie
01-06-2007, 05:45 PM
Continental-er here.

You're from New Haven? I used to live in Ft. Wayne. Small world!

Jan in CA
01-06-2007, 05:47 PM
I learned to crochet many years ago and held the yarn in my left hand so when I started knitting I did that, too (continental). HOWEVER, I was just not comfortable with it especially when purling so I tried english and after a little learning period I've become very comfortable with it.

niffer
01-06-2007, 06:18 PM
English, although I did try continental last night and got meself into a right curfuffle.

I'd love to do continental - it looks so smooth and fun to do. I'll try again one day!

Braden
01-06-2007, 06:26 PM
I learned the English style, but since I crocheted forever before I knitted, it just made more sense to learn how to knit Continental, and I have been doing it that way for about 3 years (been knitting for 4). Like Amy says, it is the fastest when going from knit to purl stitches.

five_six
01-06-2007, 06:40 PM
I knit Welsh...

kschmitz
01-06-2007, 06:55 PM
I taught myself from a book and ended up doing a left-handed English type thing even though I'm right-handed. So I learned Continental a few months ago and never looked back! Tons faster than what I was doing previously, and the tension is much better.

mks22300
01-06-2007, 07:03 PM
I knit continental. :D

DoulaLyndsey
01-06-2007, 07:37 PM
I knit continental. I've tried knitting English, but continental is just so much faster and easier for me.

hunterjenn
01-06-2007, 07:43 PM
I'm a combination--I knit continental, but I throw the yarn when I purl. Isn't it cool that we can all do it however we want and still get the same results? I love that! :)

Jan in CA
01-06-2007, 08:19 PM
I knit Welsh...

:??

of troy
01-06-2007, 08:23 PM
combination knitting (for more than 45 years.) before ann modisett and all the other wrote about it.

i knew it for years as Spanish, and Latvian.. since the only other i knew who knit like me were Spanish and Latvian.. (thank god i live in NYC where there is such a melting pot, i actually got to know spanards and latvians!)

five_six
01-06-2007, 08:29 PM
I knit Welsh...

Yeah, that's kinda the reaction i had when i first found out, always considered myself an English knitter, but i hold my right needle from underneath, like a pencil, which is apparently the 'welsh' way of knitting... just a slight variation on English.

auburnchick
01-06-2007, 08:43 PM
Great timing...

I currently knit English, but just tonight started watching Amy's videos to learn to knit Continental. Oy! It's so frustrating!!! But, I've only been knitting since June. I've been reading the how-to board, and every time I read a post that contains something about a stitch or type of knitting (ex. double knitting) I'm unfamiliar with, I try to find out what exactly the person is talking about.

Well, in the process, I think I'm discovering that Continental may be easier for some stitches down the road. So...I feel like I'm starting all over again. :hair:

How many of you switched from English to Continental? How long did it take you to make the transition?

Chrissie
01-06-2007, 08:55 PM
I knit English. I might try continental one day, but I'm perfectly satisfied with this style for now. :muah:

five_six
01-06-2007, 09:04 PM
I can knit continental, but as for switching, that'll never happen...

Ingrid
01-06-2007, 09:20 PM
I knit English and have no intention of switching, either. :teehee:

Jan in CA
01-06-2007, 09:32 PM
I knit Welsh...

Yeah, that's kinda the reaction i had when i first found out, always considered myself an English knitter, but i hold my right needle from underneath, like a pencil, which is apparently the 'welsh' way of knitting... just a slight variation on English.

Oh! My first knitting teacher tried to get us to knit that way. It was way to awkward for me. :teehee: I didn't realize it had a different name.

cgd
01-06-2007, 09:35 PM
Totally English knitter here. I've tried to switch to conti, but I just can't do it!

HERGRAM
01-06-2007, 11:22 PM
I learned English, but after watching Knitty Gritty, the Continental looked so efficient I've switched to it. It is very fast to rib. Hard to get the tension just right at first, but getting better. Have you noticed how many different ways that people hold their yarn?

Jax3303
01-06-2007, 11:27 PM
When there are a lot of knit stitches, I knit continental. If I am going to be switching back and forth between knit and purl, I knit english. all purls are knit english.

Braden
01-06-2007, 11:32 PM
The ONLY time I knit English is when I have to do Fair Isle. I wouldn't switch if you paid me. :)

Pixywhispers
01-07-2007, 01:11 AM
I was self taught and never paid much attention to how I held the yarn, I was just trying to get the yarn going where I wanted it.

I used to knit conti but threw (if that makes any sense). Then I settled on continental. I purl English, and feel so clumsy doing it still. I want to find a more effecient way other then throwing for purling for me. Now that I have my knit stitch the way I like it I'm ready to refine my purl. Four years of knitting and Im still not at peace with it. heh

imported_Knitty_Kat
01-07-2007, 01:46 AM
I can do both, but prefer English. I know alot of knitters have great success at knitting faster using the Continental method, but this hasn't proven to be true in my case. It's weird, though, because I crocheted for eons before I learned how to knit and with crocheting I always held the working yarn in my left hand. Ah well. It works and I really haven't noticed that it slows me down too much. :)

Virtuella
01-07-2007, 06:46 AM
I knit both, depending on which project I am making.

JoeE
01-07-2007, 09:42 AM
Started off as English, and still think it has more of a Zen feel to it--maybe because it's a bit slower and more intentional. Due to so many posts about people who have been successful crocheters picking up continental so quickly, I gave it a shot (been a crocheter all my life, practically from the womb). I do find it easier to control the tension when I do Conti. Plus switching from K to P is soooo much easier for me doing Continental. English purling for me is an iffy proposition, and I really have to work hard to keep it consistent looking compared to my knitting.

I figure if I ever have a chance doing Fair Isle knitting, I'll have to be good at both English and Conti, so I'm practicing each of them. Now, realistically, it may be years before I'm up to that challenge, but a month ago I never thought I'd have the nerve to try a sock, but I'm working on my first now. I haven't gotten to the heel yet, so if you hear loud profanity off in the distance in the next day or so, it'll be me...

Joe

nadja la claire
01-07-2007, 10:06 AM
I'm an English knitter. I'd like to learn Continental just because I think it would be good to know how to do both. I'd like to be able to knit conti when I'm knitting on a deadline. I don't think I'd switch though.

Nadja xxx

mwedzi
01-07-2007, 12:33 PM
I can knit Continental, English, or Combined. My tension on English is terrible, though. Actually, the Combined method was what I was originally taught when I had a 5 minute lesson at Michael's at the beginning of last year, and I'm just now reacquainting myself with it. I'm also practicing knitting backwards, but I'm not so fast with that one yet. Faster just to purl.

But I put Continental because that's what I regularly do.

jdee
01-07-2007, 01:51 PM
I knit English method.

Cattrah
01-07-2007, 02:36 PM
I started knitting English because that's the way my friend taught me but It just felt soooo slow and clumby to me and my tension was AWFUL I was getting ready to quit knitting it just wasn't relaxing to me when I watched the contiental video, tried it for about 5 minutes, picked it up in no time and now I just love it, it's so much faster and smoother for me. Purling took a while to get use to but now I'm only a fraction slower at purling than knitting in continental. Sometimes I'll throw while doing continental if I'm like knitting two together and it's tight or something like that.

DreamWeaver
01-07-2007, 04:07 PM
I knit english style because I'm right handed. I like it, although I'm aslo trying to learn crocheting, and it's very hard to crochet while holding the yarn in your right hand :teehee:

CamNMeg
01-07-2007, 05:22 PM
I'm a right handed continental knitter.

hydeemarie
01-07-2007, 07:55 PM
How do you knit continental with your right hand? :??

hydeemarie
01-07-2007, 08:05 PM
i guess since i generated this poll/thread, i should probably tell you my method. I learned english originally. Then, i came across this site and learned the conti way. so i go back and forth between that. Now, i am learning to do the combined knitting and purling method and hope to switch to it completely. :muah:

Jan in CA
01-07-2007, 08:06 PM

How's that work? :??

jess_hawk
01-07-2007, 10:31 PM
I currently knit English, the way that I learned. However, I have never been able to figure out the right way to hold the yarn - when Grandma taught me originally she didn't insist that I hold it that way, so I just run the yarn through my right fist and throw it over the needle. I'm starting to get the hang of keeping it over a finger and just throwing it with the finger. However, I'm also picking up Continental, and I think that once I get accustomed to it, it will be my preferred method. My roommate is a lefty who wants me to teach her so I'm thinking I'll have to teach her continental so that we don't go crazy in the process. I'm curious what the "combined" method is, I've never seen it.

JamOKnit
01-08-2007, 02:44 PM
English....I haven't gotten up the courage to try Conti yet, and I've gotten pretty fast when knitting English, so as long as my projects are getting done, I'm stickin' with it!

CamNMeg
01-08-2007, 11:09 PM

Sorry. I meant that I'm right handed & I knit continental. I knit continental like everyone else - with the yarn in my left hand.

AidanM
01-09-2007, 02:58 AM
I jump around depending on how I'm feeling. When I get bored, I'll use Eastern knitting to keep my interest. I just have to watch my tension, since I tend to get tight when I knit Eastern. When doing flat stockinette, I usually use combined knitting. For ribbing, continental. The only time I really use English is for two-handed colourwork.

janelanespaintbrush
01-09-2007, 08:27 PM
combination knitting (for more than 45 years.) before ann modisett and all the other wrote about it.

i knew it for years as Spanish, and Latvian.. since the only other i knew who knit like me were Spanish and Latvian.. (thank god i live in NYC where there is such a melting pot, i actually got to know spanards and latvians!)

Yeah, it kind of irks me when someone mistakenly credits Modesitt for "inventing" combination knitting because it does a great disservice to about a zillion or so knitters who preceded her. (And it's not like it's "new" to Americans either because Mary Thomas mentioned it in her book -- and that came out in the 30s!) Anyway, I started with conti, but I'm increasingly using combination.

zkimom
01-09-2007, 08:48 PM
I knit continental cause that's what Gramma, Mom and Auntie taught me. It doesn't have anything to do with being right or left handed. It's just how I was taught.

I have never been able to get English knitting (my kids both knit English cause that is what they learned in school.) It looks like more effort to me -- although I have known some lightning fast English knitters.

I did find out at one point that I twisted my purl stitch. I knitted that way for many years and boy, did it throw me for a loop when I learned I had been doing it wrong all that time.

I said something to my mom and she just shrugged and said, yup, we twist our purl stitches, that's just how we were taught. Hmmm. Kinda like the woman who cuts the end off her meat cause her mom learned that from her mom and then comes to find out that Granny did it cause her pot was too small! :doh:

I don't twist my purl stitches anymore and it has solved all sorts of issues with different stitch patterns that never seemed to come out right and I can get the right gauge without always having to go down a needle size or 2.

Best,
Susan

madametj
01-09-2007, 09:07 PM
i'm English all the way ;)

i'll probably try continental sometime, but i dont think i'll switch

ChristinaKnits
01-11-2007, 01:54 AM
I can do both, but prefer English. I know alot of knitters have great success at knitting faster using the Continental method, but this hasn't proven to be true in my case. It's weird, though, because I crocheted for eons before I learned how to knit and with crocheting I always held the working yarn in my left hand. Ah well. It works and I really haven't noticed that it slows me down too much. :)

I thought this would apply also because I crochet, but I cannot knit continental to save my life *sigh*

stitchywitch
01-11-2007, 08:02 AM
I started as a crocheter as well, and knitting didn't click for me until I tried Continental style. English makes my tendinitis act up, and since I started as a crocheter I wanted to go fast (without pain.) I'm glad there are so many different styles, because everyone can find the one that works for them.