PDA

View Full Version : Any MD knitters?

froggieladi
01-07-2007, 12:31 AM
I live in Conowingo, MD. Any other knitters from the sticks?

Nay So ROCK
01-07-2007, 09:56 PM
Baltimore, MD here.... GO RAVENS! :cheering: :happydance:

froggieladi
01-07-2007, 11:17 PM
Oh yes, the Ravens ROCK!!!!

:cheering: :happydance: :cheering:

BDKitty
01-09-2007, 03:49 PM
I am in Hanover MD! Sorry, other than Arundel Mills Mall - we got nothing!

madametj
01-09-2007, 10:02 PM
i moved from MD a few months ago. lived there 16 years, but i have never heard of where u live so it must've been pretty far to begin with!
(i was near DC)

BDKitty
01-09-2007, 10:18 PM
Well, Hanover is kind of hard to find. Even on a map! :??

froggieladi
01-09-2007, 11:26 PM
I believe Hanover is in Anne Arundel County. Conowingo is in Cecil County in the north east corner of the state. Delaware borders us on the east and Pennsylvania borders us on the north. The nearest mall to us is the Harford Mall in Bel Air. It is about a 45 minute drive away.

BDKitty
01-10-2007, 04:26 PM
Let me confuse you! Hanover is mostly located in Anne Arundel - however, a portion of it is acutally in Howard County! That oddball location is where I live. There are 2 local post offices in my area, equal distance away, and our mail keeps getting tossed from one to the other depending on what the postmaster general declares our neighborhood to be assigned too.

It doesn't affect us much, unless you have a package or envelope that needs a signature and you have to go to the counter to pick it up! Those items are always at the post office I didn't drive too! :wall:

purlwise
01-21-2007, 09:32 AM
:cheering: Hello there Hanover! I live in Elkridge, MD about 5 minutes from you! We should meet and knit!

- Mandy

CateKnits
01-21-2007, 12:54 PM
I'm from Annapolis, born and raised! I go to school in New York, though.

BDKitty
01-21-2007, 02:14 PM
How long have you been knitting? I have only just rediscovered the art my grandmother taugh me when I was 13. I am still a novice - but am getting braver!

Do you go to any local shops and hang there?

froggieladi
01-21-2007, 05:28 PM
I learned to knit in high school - I'm sad to say about 34 years ago. I hadn't knit in a while - but with a grandchild on the way, I have picked it back up. I find it really relaxing.

In answer to the question about the local shops. I live in a pretty rural area and don't really know of any shops around here. I would like to get together with my sister and another friend now and then - but we just never seem to find the time.

BDKitty
01-21-2007, 05:46 PM
I looked online and from the knitdenise.com web page found 2 cool knit shops around me. Acually 1 extremely cool shop that is in Ellicott City. I cant wait to attend a Knit Night!

purlwise
01-21-2007, 06:20 PM
Wow I taught myself to knit and crochet from old Sears instruction books that my Mom had laying around, oh about 25 or more years ago. I think I am probably an intermediate knitter, maybe an advanced crocheter. I like them both equally as well. I'm still a novice though with a lot of the knitting techniques, I've never had anyone around to teach me so I slowly figure stuff out on my own!

No I haven't been to any of the knitting shops around town. I think there is one in Columbia also, can't think of the name right now.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-21-2007, 07:12 PM
I grew up in Baltimore, but live in IL now. I don't get back too muich to visit, maybe twice a year--and now that my mom lives in WVA, maybe that will be less often :pout:

If you guys get a chance to get together, check out the LYS in Fells Point, on AliceAnna street... it's FABULOUS, and Lorraine, the owner, is hilariously funny. (i can't remember the name of it though!!)

BDKitty
01-21-2007, 08:14 PM
I didn't know there was a place in Fells Point. I shall have to check it out.
The place in Columbia is called All about yarn. It was okay - not a very friendly place.

However, the Celtic Knot in Ellicot City (just moved to route 40) is nice and filled with funny people who know how to laugh at your mistakes without hurting your feelings!

CateKnits
01-22-2007, 01:25 PM
The Yarn Garden in Annapolis isn't bad, but it's not great. I haven't been to any of the other yarn shops in MD because I learned to knit when I started college and I'm not home enough. :pout: I might not even be home at all this summer. I keep meaning to go to the one Hildie's talking about but I never remember.

purlwise
01-22-2007, 03:23 PM
Thanks I LOVE Fells Point! Haven't been down in ages, and I only live about 15 minutes away!

BDKitty
01-23-2007, 11:07 AM
:oops: Okay, so maybe I hit the "All About Yarn" on a bad day when I first visited. I was there yesterday - my daughter had underestimated her yarn requirements for a baby blanket and that is where we purchased the yarn - and they were nice when we came in and I watched someone come in and get a hand on knitting a sock.

Kids and I hung out a little to watch and see the sock progress. And I found the yarn for the blankie...

smoochie
11-15-2007, 09:45 PM
I grew up in Baltimore, but live in IL now. I don't get back too muich to visit, maybe twice a year--and now that my mom lives in WVA, maybe that will be less often :pout:

If you guys get a chance to get together, check out the LYS in Fells Point, on AliceAnna street... it's FABULOUS, and Lorraine, the owner, is hilariously funny. (i can't remember the name of it though!!)

The shop in Fells Point is called "A Good Yarn". It has beautiful yarn and several groups meeting there. Check it out on the internet.

smoochie
11-15-2007, 09:47 PM
The shop in Fells Point is called "A Good Yarn". It has beautiful yarn and several groups meeting there. Check it out on the internet.

Starry Eyed
01-01-2008, 12:36 PM
Hi! I'm extremely new to knitting. I live in Beltsville, MD. I was wondering if any of you guys might know where a local knitting place may be that offers classes? I think I can learn myself but I'm a little scared that I'll be forever confused and lost.

joyknits
01-01-2008, 12:46 PM
Hi Annapolis, Bowie is here too! I know very little about Cecil County, except they do send delegates to the State PTA conferences. Anybody know if there's a yarn shop open today?

joyknits
01-01-2008, 12:55 PM
The closest shop to you would be a place called "A Tangled Skein" on Route 1 in Hyattsville. They offer classes, and something call a sit and knit on Wednesday nights.

Starry Eyed
01-01-2008, 01:31 PM
Wow, thanks! Thats so helpful. Its actually really close to me. I'm checking out the website right now. Its pretty expensive.. $80 a class. I'm debating whether or not to rough it on my own.. :) Its nice to know something like that is nearby though.

DorothyDot
01-08-2008, 10:37 AM
I live in Southern Maryland, St. Mary's County... near the Naval Air Base. [picture: flying boats :-P ] And I teach knitting - $12, in my home.

If you want to get a group together and find a place in, say, Calvert County you'd like to meet, I'll teach all of you how to knit for $14 each per session. [The extra $2 covers gas]

Just a thought.

Dot

LREVS
01-13-2008, 07:25 PM
I am new to this list and live in University Park, MD -- near the University of Maryland. I've been knitting for my granddaughter. I'm struggling right now to sew seams on a cable sweater! Watching the video on this website has been very helpful!! :knitting: Loretta

LREVS
01-13-2008, 07:26 PM
Wow, thanks! Thats so helpful. Its actually really close to me. I'm checking out the website right now. Its pretty expensive.. $80 a class. I'm debating whether or not to rough it on my own.. :) Its nice to know something like that is nearby though.
I haven't been to A Tangled Skein on Wed nts from 7-9 pm but that is free. And if you're coming from a distance, you can eat at Franklin's across the street beforehand! Loretta

Faireattention
01-13-2008, 08:09 PM
Frederick MD over here...and desperately seeking baby knitwear patterns for beginner/intermediate knitters. *sigh*

ladyjessica
01-13-2008, 08:33 PM
Hi all! I'm from the sticks, too, but not your sticks. hehe. I'm up here in Frostburg, in the mountains. We have a fairly nice yarn store about 10 minutes away in Cumberland. They have a nice selection and lots of classes, but I haven't really found myself any knitting friends yet. :cry:

Cherrelle
01-20-2008, 08:24 PM
THis is my first day on here
i live in Capitol Heights maryland
and i have family in maryland like Waldof, brandywine and even VA
but i really wonder how many cities MD have.
Handover?? i heard of Landover but not hanover
or the "cono.." whatever

linknit41
01-25-2008, 05:11 PM
KH has great videos of getting started, etc. and my daughter is learning a lot from these. linknit

Phaedra
01-26-2008, 03:24 PM
Hi! I grew up in Baltimore City, now I'm in Baltimore County -Owings Mills.

Mdknitter
02-01-2008, 07:53 AM
I'm here in Columbia, but only visit this site occasionally... I taught myself to knit about 2 years ago - something I'd wanted to do since I was little - using the videos on this site. Haven't got too much to show for those two years, but I have discovered I love knitting socks. No sweaters in my FO pile yet...

lmsloman
02-24-2008, 12:24 PM
I'm also in Baltimore, MD (Brooklyn Park to be exact)!

brenda1244
03-12-2008, 02:39 PM
HEY I LIVE IN ESSEX ,MARYLAND

knittingmama06
04-16-2008, 09:59 AM
Hi everyone! I am from Pasadena, MD! I am still learning to knit (self taught)! Anyone in AA county want to have a knitting playdate? I have a 2 yr old son!

Liliyarn
05-01-2008, 03:37 AM
And none of you are going to Maryland Sheep & Wool festival????

Hard to believe. I'm in SC and driving to it this weekend.....

doubletrouble
05-15-2008, 12:01 AM
I'm in Gaithersburg, Maryland. I'd love to join a knitting group if there are any other local knitters out there.

Too bad I missed the Sheep and Wool Festival!

Spikey
07-16-2008, 02:31 PM
Hi Maryland Knitters! (former Baltimore and Columbia girl here)

As many of you are aware, knitters from KH have been collaborating to make blankets, lapghans, baby blankets, & preemie blankets for some time now.

The Oddball Baby Blankets project has become so successful that Shandeh has broken it up into regions, and I am lucky enough to be helping to organize the Northeast region.

Our worsted weight blankets are going to Bridgeport Hospital, in Connecticut.

We've just arranged for the Special Delivery Unit at The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia to be the recipient of any preemie blankets that we make. For those not familiar, this is a brand new, first-of-its-kind center specifically built in to allow women carrying babies with congenital heart disease or other serious congenital malformations, as well as women whose babies undergo surgery before they are even born! They are doing amazing, life-saving work. More information is available here:http://www.chop.edu/consumer/jsp/division/generic.jsp?id=85487 (sorry, don't know how to make pretty links )

The purpose in reaching out to you all is to increase our numbers for these terrific projects. You can see the list of current projects on our blog (link in my sig below) and on the NE knitters thread:http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81357

If any of you are interested in participating, please PM me with your address and we'll get you on the list. All are welcome, and new ideas for blanket themes are greatly appreciated!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-16-2008, 07:40 PM
Hey all, I am officially a Maryland resident now! I just moved back to the area a month ago, and duh, it just occurred to me that I should check out the MD thread :doh: I'm in Arnold, which is sort of near the bay bridge. (I'm a stone's throw from cape st claire, though).
Anyway, would love to meet some of you!

rennfamily
07-21-2008, 09:53 PM
I'm in Arnold, which is sort of near the bay bridge.
We drive through Arnold at least once a week. My son takes swim lessons in Severna Park.
Southern Marylander here. But since there's not much here we spend a lot of time in Annapolis.

muddpies2000
07-22-2008, 02:58 PM
I'm in Bryantown. South of Waldorf and La Plata. I would love to meet others in my area. There is a kntting group that meets every Tuesday night at 7:00pm at the Borders in Waldorf.

I'm a new knitter. Just starting to knit things other than scarves. Just made my first sweater with a Knitting Pure & Simple pattern. Very "Simple" perfect for me.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-26-2008, 11:05 PM
I just visited The Yarn Garden in Annapolis today (Festival at Riva, on forest drive), and OMG they have a tonnnnnnnnnnnnn of stuff!!!! It's so crowded you can barely walk. The women are super nice tho. Their Knit Night is thursdays, open till 8.

Muddpies, I might come join you some Tuesday!

rennfamily
08-29-2008, 11:56 PM
YarnGarden is awesome. Not once have I gone in there and been treated with anything but respect.

Muddpies have you tried Crazy for Ewe too in LaPlata. Ellen is awesome and so helpful. I haven't been to the LaPlata store as I usually go to Leonardtown. She has knit nights on Wed evening in LaPlata.

cacunn
08-31-2008, 12:28 AM
Frederick MD over here...and desperately seeking baby knitwear patterns for beginner/intermediate knitters. *sigh*

Faireattention - check out Keep me in Stitches, 304 W. Paterick Street. I went to FCC with the owner and she is a great lady.

I was born in Frederick, grew up in Mt. Airy, moved around for a while moved back to Frederick and now live in Waynesboro, Pa just north of Hagerstown.

In the Hagerstown area there is the Knitting Cottage north of town out past the Long Meadow Shopping Center. Y-2-Knit in Funkstown south of Hagerstown.

If you have some time and want a nice day trip to a great source of yarn and knitting supply try Mannings (http://www.the-mannings.com/) in East Berlin PA. Mannings is southeast of Gettysburg.

myohmy
09-01-2008, 05:20 PM
I'm just north of MD in New Oxford, PA. I agree with the previous poster about a day trip to Mannings. It would be just over an hour for you from Frederick I think. It's worth the drive - lots and lots of interesting things! It's just outside of East Berlin - a cute little town.

(And be prepared to spend some time in Mannings! Let's just say it is not my husband's favourite place ;) . But he gamely goes along with it b/c he loves driving the winding road on the way in to the store!)

Leany
09-09-2008, 05:37 PM
im in maryland and looking for some knitting buddies, i feel like im the only beginner out here.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
09-22-2008, 10:18 PM
Hey friends, just a heads up, Stitches East is coming up! November 6-9, in Baltimore.

Mirl56
10-26-2008, 10:13 AM
Hey, all! I'm in Baltimore Co - Parkville to be precise.

Definitely going to Stitches East - not taking any classes, though, just the Market on Friday.

Also want to mention Cloverhill Yarn Shop in Catonsville - don't think anyone's mentioned them yet - great LYS.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
10-31-2008, 11:54 PM
Yay!!! I'm going to the Market too! :happydance:

Phaedra
11-01-2008, 09:55 AM
I'm hoping to go on that Saturday.

GMantownMom
11-04-2008, 08:13 PM
Hello All, I am in Germantown, MD. That is about 30 minutes outside of Washington, DC. I am a new knitter...I mean really new. I haven't the slightest idea how to read a pattern, what needles to buy, what yarn to use. NADA! So any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I found a Knitting Salon very close to me, so I was thinking about dropping by. I am a bit apprehensive since I really don't know what I am doing.

cacunn
11-04-2008, 10:04 PM
Hello All, I am in Germantown, MD. That is about 30 minutes outside of Washington, DC. I am a new knitter...I mean really new. I haven't the slightest idea how to read a pattern, what needles to buy, what yarn to use. NADA! So any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I found a Knitting Salon very close to me, so I was thinking about dropping by. I am a bit apprehensive since I really don't know what I am doing.

GMantownMom you have come to the right place. I'm fairly new and have learned how to knit from the net and the great people here. I work in Gaithersburg and live in PA and would be interested in which knitting salon you have found. Check they probably have classes in knitting, and realize that the more you know the more you will knit and the more they can sell.

Check out the videos and ask the answers will come.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-11-2008, 01:46 AM
hi GMantownMom! :waving: we can help!

chj
11-12-2008, 09:21 AM
Wow, I just found this place! I'm in northern Carroll County - Taneytown, which is also just a bit south of Gettysburg. I've been a knitter since the middle 60's (learned in the 4th grade) and every once in a while get going again. Right now I'm making scarves for Christmas (via my church - we're making gifts for a shelter in Baltimore).
Anyway - I'm happy to have found this forum. :) And thanks for the tip on The Mannings - I never heard of that, and I am SO there this weekend, if I can drag my husband up that way...

CHJ

cacunn
11-13-2008, 10:16 AM
chj - I know Taneytown well, my sister live on west Baltimore (main) street for quite a few years before moving to Illinois. In addition to Mannings there is the Knitting Cottage between Waynesboro and Hagerstown on South Potomac Street aka MD Rt 60. Y2K in Funkstown near the Outlet Mall and Keep Me in Stitches on West Patrick Street in Frederick. There are a couple of other LYS in Frederick but I went ot school (FCC) with the owner of Keep Me In Stitches so when in Frederick thats where I go.

chj
11-13-2008, 01:36 PM
Chris - thanks for the tip! I tend to do a lot of yarn-shopping at Michael's and Joann Fabrics (OK yarn, good prices), and I haven't made anything "serious" in a while. I started poking around the web to find places to get good yarn, because I want to make a special scarf for a friend this Christmas, and want to find something really nice. I have been at Woolstock in Glyndon in the past, which is pretty good too. I'll have to check out some of those places you mentioned.

I am SO into knitting right now that I am neglecting other things! I mentioned that my church is knitting scarves for a shelter this Christmas, and I am going to be teaching some new knitters starting next week.

Anyway, thanks again!
CHJ

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-30-2008, 09:45 PM
Hi guys,
I just joined a "real" group of knitters who meet at the Borders in Annapolis (mall) on the second monday and last wednesday of the month. Here is the ravelry group. (http://www.ravelry.com/groups/annapolisknits)

sassybunny
12-19-2008, 06:04 PM
Hi everyone! I'm living in Baltimore/Towson. I was super excited to see so many folks who knit locally!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-20-2008, 02:29 PM
hi!!!! :waving: nice to have you!

With so many of us, we really need to plan a get-together after the holidays are over...

AngLynn
12-27-2008, 03:44 PM
Hi new here and from Baltimore City :knitting:

Phaedra
03-24-2009, 05:35 AM
Hi,
Anyone know of a LYS in MD that carries Blue Moon Fiber Arts Yarn? The reason being that I am attempting not to use my charge card and haven't gotten a response from the company if they accept M.O. or personal checks. Thanks

knittingymnast
04-30-2009, 06:47 PM
I live in Southern Maryland, St. Mary's County... near the Naval Air Base. [picture: flying boats :-P ]

I live like RIGHT near you. :cheering:

Rebam
02-27-2010, 11:24 PM
I live not far from you at all. I know of a few places to purchase supplies, I found a shop in Chesapeake City. Parking is crappy but it is a nice little shop. I am looking for classes and I guess I will start there.

jkcantler
01-01-2011, 08:45 PM
I live in Conowingo, MD. Any other knitters from the sticks?

I live across from the Lafayette Inn not far from Conowingo. I have just gotten back into knitting lately - did it years ago. I am finishing a couple of scarves and then am going to try my first felted purse. What are you working on?:knitting: :waving: :waving: You may contact me at jkcantler@yahoo.com if you are interested in getting something started in Cecil County.

jkcantler
01-01-2011, 08:48 PM
I live not far from you at all. I know of a few places to purchase supplies, I found a shop in Chesapeake City. Parking is crappy but it is a nice little shop. I am looking for classes and I guess I will start there.

Looking to get together with some other local knitters. I live on Route 1 across from the Lafayette Inn. Just finishing a couple of scarves and then am going to start my first felted purse. You can email me if you want to at jkcantler@yahoo.com