PDA

View Full Version : If I pull my hair out will someone knit me a hat???

RooGirl
01-07-2007, 09:37 PM
Okay, so I'm working on a dish towel and I'm having drama. I CO 45 and I seed stitch 4 rows. I keep 3 seed stitches on either end of the needle on all rows... When I start doing my knit and purl rows... somehow I end up with more than 45 stitches.. The strange thing is, I'm watching as I'm k&p'ing and I don't see this happening. But, when I count my stitches at the end of my row, there it is way too many stitches! Any suggestions/ideas what could be causing this -other than inept knitting of course. :pout:

five_six
01-07-2007, 09:39 PM
are you bringing your yarn between your needles when you change from knit to purl, or bringing it over the needles? If you are doing the latter, it will create a yo, which will result in extra stitches :shrug:

brendajos
01-07-2007, 09:40 PM
if there are a lot more than just one, i would guess that when you are moving back and forth between K & P you are going over the needles instead of between the needles.

RooGirl
01-07-2007, 09:41 PM
No, the only time I'm doing that is when I actually have a yo for the p2 tog.

At least, I don't think I am.

brendajos
01-07-2007, 09:42 PM
it isn't surprising to have one because people tend to bring the first stitch over the needle when they are moving it from the front to back for knitting (instead of down around the needle) but the only thing i can think of is that you are somehow catching a YO...i would do it again and see what happens.

RooGirl
01-07-2007, 09:44 PM
Thank you. I'll try it again and see what happens.. I was so bummed because I was sure I was doing such a great job and then I counted and realized it had gone horribly awry. Not fun. :shrug:

jess_hawk
01-07-2007, 10:45 PM
Pay special attention to the ends of rows. When I find spare stitches, they're nearly always because I knit into the wrong spot in the last stitch of the previous row.

RooGirl
01-07-2007, 11:37 PM
Thank you all so much! I went back and tried it again and I think perhaps I was doing more of a yo than I realized. I really appreciate all of the help and support! You guys are the best! :muah:

five_six
01-07-2007, 11:55 PM
you know... this is how slow i am today... when i first saw the topic of this thread, i though, "if i pull all my hair out, would someone make me a hat" - (with the hair as yarn, not to cover the bald head... now is that what you call a yarn obsession??!!) :oops:

RooGirl
01-08-2007, 12:23 AM
:roflhard: That's too funny!!!! With as frustrated as I was I don't think I would have cared if someone did use it as yarn!!!!

hunterjenn
01-08-2007, 01:58 PM
when i first saw the topic of this thread, i though, "if i pull all my hair out, would someone make me a hat" - (with the hair as yarn, not to cover the bald head... now is that what you call a yarn obsession??!!) :oops:

:roflhard: :roflhard: So did I!! I just thought it was a terribly clever topic!! :)