PDA

View Full Version : Swish for socks

Lindsey H
01-08-2007, 01:26 PM
Hello all,

I have knit several pairs of socks with fingering weight yarn. I want to use some larger gauge yarn. I am thinking of KP's Swish. I used it to make a dog sweater but I don't know how it will hold up for socks. I am planning to use size 3 needles. What do you think?

janelanespaintbrush
01-08-2007, 02:56 PM
Well, if you look on KP's Swish page, one of the recommended patterns is for boot socks so I would suppose the answer would be it's probably okay. (Looks like they use size 5 needles for those.)

I would still be cautious, though. I haven't seen Swish in person, but it looks kind of lofty in the pictures and I think tightly spun yarns are supposed to be the best for socks, in terms of durability. A bit of synthetic content (nylon or acrylic) is supposed to help socks wear longer too.

jessi_9783
01-09-2007, 02:20 PM
I'm knitting a pair for myself on US4. I probably would have used a US3 but KPOs only go down to US4 and I like at least 40" for doing 2 socks on 1 needle. My gauge is 5 sts and 8 rows per 1". I'm also doing a slip stitch heel (http://www.queenkahuna-creations.com/crazytoesandheelsbook.html) for durability.