PDA

View Full Version : OT - So I ran over myself with the car today...

hunterjenn
01-10-2007, 01:34 AM
anyone else ever do that?? LOL :oops:

This morning, while my kids and I were waiting for my husband, the minivan got knocked into reverse! I was in the passenger seat, so I couldn't reach the brakes, but rather than throw the thing back into park, turn the car off, or move to the driver's seat, I decided to leap out of the moving car and run around to the driver's side for the brake. :doh: Of course, the car was moving faster than I would have ever guessed, so rather than gracefully leaping out, I was literally thrown from the open doorway onto the driveway as the car continued to accelerate toward the neighbor's house, and the front end of the van RAN OVER MY LEG!! :pout: I let out this horrible primal scream (remember when Westley's being tortured in the Princess Bride? Yeah--like that) and watched the van careen into the neighbor's parked car in his open garage while my husband tried to chase it down. And what occurs to me first? "Is my wedding ring OK?!?" LOL

Anyway, the neighbor's house and car were miraculously OK, as was our car. In the end, I ended up with a hideous hematoma (think enormous blood/fluid-filled lump) on my calf, a nasty bruise where I landed on my thigh, and bruised bones in my hands, which took most of the force. I'm on some good drugs, but I suspect it's gonna really hurt tomorrow! HOW STUPID AM I???? :doh:

Anyway, it was pretty much my most embarrassing moment. Anyone else care to share theirs? :shrug:

ETA: I can still knit! Hooray!

five_six
01-10-2007, 02:09 AM
Oh my god, i'm so glad you are ok... it could have been much worse :hug:

That must have been very frightening at the time, especially as your kids were in the car. I woulda freaked if that happened while my little one was in there.

I'm gonna need some time to think, in order to come up with an embarrasing moment that beats that, although i have a few. Does waking up with injuries that you don't remember incurring during your drunken youth count? :teehee:

knitqueen
01-10-2007, 02:14 AM
I am so glad you are okay :hug: . Wow, what a scary experience.

snowbear
01-10-2007, 03:01 AM
uh... .. I've fallen into my trunk... lol I was in college, and driving a huge 66 Mercury Montery.(This was several years ago.. no comment on the age bracket ok!) Family car hand me down. I loved it.. Could seat 6 comfortable, 8 w/ no prob, and had a trunk big enough for 4 or 5 easy.

I was in the parking lot at college, reaching in to grab something that somehow had been pushed to the back of the trunk, when,, uh I fell in. I was sitting in the trunk trying to decide the best way to get out when everyone on campus,(it sure seemed that way) walked by. I was at one of our state's University's so it wasn't just a small community college, oh no.. and I had to pick the Student Union parking lot to do this in ~!

:oops: :doh:

Jan in CA
01-10-2007, 03:33 AM
Holy cow! I'm glad you were not seriously hurt! I think we sometimes react in a way that is completely out of character when we are surprised or frightened. You aren't alone! :hug:

Shandeh
01-10-2007, 05:06 AM
You poor thing! You are VERY lucky that you managed to survive THAT!

A friend of mine was injured falling out of his parent's car when he was a young boy. The car ran over his head, but he survived. He had to endure much pain and suffering, and still has physical impairments to this day!

And don't worry about how "stupid" you were. We all do crazy things when we are in danger! Just take care of yourself now, and do lots of knitting for therapy when your hands get better. :heart:

janelanespaintbrush
01-10-2007, 07:06 AM
:hug: :heart: :hug: :heart:

I'm so glad you're okay. It's good to hear that you can still knit given your hand injuries -- hopefully it'll help keep your mind off the pain. Poor thing!

mulene
01-10-2007, 07:50 AM
Also glad you were not seriously hurt - thats some feat running yourself over but I've heard of it happening before too =D

Gad you can still knit and that your wedding ring is fine :hug:

blueeyes28
01-10-2007, 07:53 AM
Oh my thats is terrible I also have an embarrassing storythat involves a vehicle but this one was not moving...

When I was 16 I was with my cousin and her boyfriend and one of his friends at the boyfriends house and we decided that we wanted to go to rent a movie it was snowing and the walkway(steep hill)that led to the driveway was covered in ice everyone else decided it would be safer to walk in the snow beside the walkway but me not wanting to get my pants wet decided I would run down it and I made it to the bottom to but then fell on my a#@ and went sliding under his truck !!! Then if that wasn't bad enough I am laying there wishing I would die(remember being 16??) I heard this cracking noise and the ice under me broke and I landed in a puddle about 6 inches deep.They had to pull me out by my arms and drive us home instead of the video store and I had to sit on a trash bag the whole way home.

zkimom
01-10-2007, 08:03 AM
You are sooooo lucky!

It could have been much worse and I'm glad you are ok.

Sending quick healing vibes your way :heart:

Best,
Susan

zkimom
01-10-2007, 08:16 AM
I forgot to add my most embarrassing moment. I think that would have to be one day long ago when I was walking along a street in Philadelphia and I stepped on a manhole cover and it caved in on me.

Now I was much younger then and the thought of suing the City of Brotherly Love was not in the forefront of my mind. So there I was, all dressed up for a meeting with one leg stuck in a manhole and you know what???? NOONE CAME TO HELP!!!! I mean noone. :grrr: Ok, someone came over to see if I was ok, but I had already pulled myself out by then.

I managed to extricate myself from the hole and while I was only scraped and slightly bruised, I had to walk over to where my meeting was (why I didn't go back to the hotel where I was staying, I'll never know :?? ) with my leg filty from manhole grease and my pantyhose shredded. I couldn't imagine being late for this meeting!

When I got to where I was headed I washed off in the nearest restroom and managed to pick up a new pair of pantyhose and I just continued on with my day.

Can you imagine having to tell people you were late and filthy because YOU FELL IN A MANHOLE!!!!! :!!!:

Well, with that thought, I have to go wake up my kids for school :teehee:

Susan

Ingrid
01-10-2007, 08:44 AM
I'm so glad you're ok and that there was no damage to the neighborhood!

Years ago, something happened in the car where the ignition switch stayed on. I was only a couple of miles from home, with a 3-year-old and a 9-month-old in the car and I had to get home for the kindergarten bus. So even though the ignition was grinding (imagine holding the key on) I decided to head for home. Well, the heat from the switch caused something under the hood to catch fire. Smoke was pouring out from under the hood, but because the key was stuck 'on' I couldn't turn off the car! It was a standard, so I managed to stall the engine and get the kids out.

But then the car started itself and started idling down the road. All I could think of was the kindergarten bus coming around the corner and there would be my driverless car.

So holding the baby, I ran after the car, jumped in, stalled it again and pulled on the emergency brake this time. Luckily a neighbor came by at that moment and put out the fire and disconnected the battery and gave me a ride home.

My son (the 3-year-old) was terrified of any kind of movie or tv show that had fire in it for a long time after that. I scraped the top of my foot, but that was all. It really was a stupid move, but we don't think in those situations. :shrug:

Shandeh
01-10-2007, 08:47 AM
What an experience, Ingrid! Now, years later, it sounds so comical, but I'm sure it was quite frightening when it was happening!

lauraknits
01-10-2007, 09:40 AM
Wow! So glad you - and everyone - are ok!

sara_jayne
01-10-2007, 09:42 AM
I'm so glad you are okay - how scary!!! :heart:

msoebel
01-10-2007, 10:07 AM
We locked the keys in our car once. We didn't have a spare set at the time (my dear hubby having lost our keys the week prior). With no way to get home, we managed to pop the lock on the trunk, and I slid inside to push part of the back seat down and unlock one of the back doors.

It worked like a charm. Until I got stuck. :grrr:

Of course, just at that moment, friends of ours arrived at the restaraunt, and of course, they had a camera in their car.

So the lovely image of me and butt are captured for future generations.

Our friends had to pull on my ankles while my husband pushed on my shoulders to get me out.

Misty

nonny2t
01-10-2007, 10:17 AM
Lord girl, I am sure glad you are ok, though I know you have to hurt like the dickens. Please see idiot story I posted this morning with regards to dumb things! lol

Jeremy
01-10-2007, 11:47 AM
You must have one overworked guardian angel. I'm really glad you
re ok.

When I was a nurse we treated someone for severe burns who actually lit a match to see if there was any gasoline left in a drum...there was.

CarmenIbanez
01-10-2007, 12:48 PM
I actually enjoy being a fool, so I can't think of many stories where I was totally mortified. But I really enjoyed your story, only becasue I knew you were somewhat okay. Thanks for sharing!

1to1
01-10-2007, 12:59 PM
Yep, I know how you felt!

When DD was little I was pulling out of the driveway but the garage door didn't go down. I pulled back in, hopped out to check the little eye thingy, turned around and notice the van rolling down the driveway (slight hill) and my DD standing up looking frightened. :shock:

I was like ALLISON!!! and wenting running down the drive (flinging my flip-flops off). The van went across the street--thankfully no cars or chidren were going by--and hit the neighbors mailbox. I was glad it wasn't a brick mail box or cemented in cause it took it completely out of the ground and messed up their landscaping. My van had a dent.

My DD still says to this day "MOMMY THE VANNNNN IS GOING BACKWARDDSSSS!!!" She was fine and DH fixed the neighbor's mailbox and landscaping.

Apparantly, I didn't put it all the way in park before I jumped out. :shrug: It was a horrible feeling watching my little girl rolling away into the street.

Hope your not too sore tomorrow!

hunterjenn
01-10-2007, 12:59 PM
uh... .. I've fallen into my trunk... lol I love it!! :teehee:

the ice under me broke and I landed in a puddle about 6 inches deep.LOL--just when you think it can't get worse, right?

Can you imagine having to tell people you were late and filthy because YOU FELL IN A MANHOLE!!!!! Oh my gosh! That WOULD be embarrassing! How gutsy are you, though, to go marching in there like that! :)

Our friends had to pull on my ankles while my husband pushed on my shoulders to get me out. :roflhard: Oh no!!
:rofl:

OK, Ingrid, yours is by far the most scary--how terrifying! And jumping in the moving car while holding a baby...you're some kind of Superwoman! Amazing...

Thanks, everyone, for your warm wishes. I'm definitely feeling more sore today, especially since I *thought* I took a Vicodin when I woke up at 5 am, but apparently I only dreamed it. Some of your comments made me realize, though, how truly lucky I am. Jeremy's right--someone must have been looking out for me! Can you imagine having your head run over like Shandeh's friend? I got off so easy. :shock: Whew...

hunterjenn
01-10-2007, 01:05 PM
thankfully no cars or chidren were going by--It was a horrible feeling watching my little girl rolling away into the street.

Oh my...I never thought about the kids who could have been playing in our cul-de-sac. Whoa... But yeah, so scary to watch your children drive away without you! Yikes!

hunterjenn
01-10-2007, 01:08 PM
I actually enjoy being a fool, so I can't think of many stories where I was totally mortified. But I really enjoyed your story, only becasue I knew you were somewhat okay. Thanks for sharing!

:rofl: See, just last week I was bragging to my brother about how I'm NEVER embarrassed about things!! I usually just laugh off my own sillliness, but I felt like such a dolt having to explain how I got injured to the triage nurse, the CNA, the charge nurse, the doctor... :teehee:

Stiney
01-10-2007, 01:45 PM
I used to have nightmares about being in the car while it was driving itself. :shock:

I still have a voicemail from a guy I dated on my cell phone. He called me because he needed me to drive him to the hospital, so he could stitches. Because he cut his arm on a soup can while taking out the trash. :doh: :rofl: Oh, and instead of giving him stitches, they used the skin glue. And used so much they stuck his arm to the rolling metal table.

I'm glad you're OK, hunterjenn!

Last year, my friend and I went to see Spamalot, and we parked at Fordham and took the train down (free parking yay!) Some jerk parked so close to his car that he couldn't get in on the driver's side, and the passenger side door only opened from the inside. I also couldn't get into the car. I tried, and managed to get in up to my boobs--I'm pretty chesty--and couldn't go in any further. He kept trying to push me in and I was like, "My boobs are too big, okay? They don't fit!" Some guys were in the parking lot and the skinny one backed the car up for us. :rofl:

I injure myself so often and stupidly that I don't even remember them half the time. I always have bruises after I go into New York, because I always manage to walk into the turnstile.

hunterjenn
01-10-2007, 01:50 PM
He kept trying to push me in and I was like, "My boobs are too big, okay? They don't fit!"

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Kaydee
01-10-2007, 02:38 PM
Hunterjenn, thank God you're alright. That sounds like a really frightening experience.

Jan in CA
01-10-2007, 02:48 PM
Umm... No car involved, but.... I slipped in cat barf on the wood floor and fell and got bruised pretty badly and twisted my ankle. Fortunately I didn't have to go to the doctor because that would have been a fun one to explain. :doh: :teehee:

RooGirl
01-10-2007, 11:18 PM
:oops: I was dog sitting my aunt's dogs while she was out of town. I was asleep in the guest room and heard the phone ringing. I dashed out of the room to try to get to the phone before it kicked to voicemail.. Little did I know, her 'darling angel' dog had peed on the wooden floor right outside the door. I slipped, that's right folks on dog pee, lost my balance smacked my head against the wall and then the corner of a buffet-thingy and then landed.. of course I landed in pee because that's how I roll apparently. It was horrible!

Ingrid
01-10-2007, 11:31 PM
:teehee:

I have another.

I was driving my son's very old little pos car. At that time I normally drove a standard, so after I'd pull into a parking spot, the car would automatically be in gear. Well, this car was so crappy, you didn't even have to put it in park to get the key out.

So I pulled into a spot and went into the grocery store. I was in the first aisle and I heard a large CRASH and the front window of the store broke into a million pieces. Yup, that little car had slowly rolled out of the spot, sped up down the hill and broke the front window of the supermarket. Thank God there was nobody walking in the parking lot or in the very front of the store.

When the police came to investigate, I walked out of the store with my hands up. I thought he should arrest me for stupidity.

jodstr2
01-11-2007, 12:18 AM
omg ladies I'm glad you're all ok! :heart:

nothing too bad here. almost took out my mailbox, one fence post, and my passenger side outside mirror once tho :oops:.
I had to move the car back a couple feet to get the garbage bin out to the street for collection. my car is a stickshift, so I got in it and decided to just stick it in neutral, release the parking brake and roll it back instead of starting it and putting it in reverse.
so it rolled, and I watched the mailbox and fence post fast approaching in the mirror. I furiously stomp on what I thought was the brake - no, it was THE CLUTCH!!!!!! I stomped on the brake as soon as I realized it, and set the parking brake. I got out and looked at the mirror. it was touching the mailbox. :doh: so here I am parked on a slight backwards downhill, scared s***less that I will roll back :wall: and crunch everything when I try to start the car to drive it forward. luckily, I moved it forward with no rollback. whew.

hunterjenn
01-11-2007, 02:13 AM
:rofl: Oh, thanks so much for making me feel better. :) I don't feel like the most foolish person on earth anymore. :eyebrow: And thanks for all your well-wishes. They must be working, because I'm feeling better at a pretty quick rate. :hug: :muah: to you all!

Stiney
01-11-2007, 10:31 AM
Oh, my grandma had two doozies.

One was when my brother was little. He got out of the car to go get something in the house, and left the door open. Grandma started to back up out of the garage, not realizing the door was open.

Bye-bye, car door.

The other was when my mom was little. My mom was in the backseat, and my great-grandma was in the front seat. After church, they sent my mom in to the store to pick up the paper. She jostled my great-grandma, who was blind, on the way out. Great-grandma cried out, which startled my grandmother. She took her foot off the brake and the car went through the window of the store. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

nadja la claire
01-11-2007, 10:40 AM
WOW!! I'm glad you and the kids are ok. That sounds frightening and embarrassing :oops:

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

Webigail
01-11-2007, 10:48 AM
OMG, how scary! I'm so glad that you're ok (and can still knit).

Jan in CA
01-11-2007, 12:16 PM
When the police came to investigate, I walked out of the store with my hands up. I thought he should arrest me for stupidity.

:shock: :teehee: :teehee: :teehee:

Knitting_Guy
01-11-2007, 02:15 PM
Ouch. I'm glad you're ok.

Jaxhil
01-11-2007, 06:33 PM
I am glad to hear you're okay! And really, don't feel like you're the only one-in fact, almost the EXACT situation you described happened to my Mom's neighbor a while back. She was checking her mail by leaning out of the car, and accidentally FELL OUT and ran herself over :noway: . Then, as she watched, the car rolled down the street and CRASHED into my parents laundry room, taking out a small tree on the way :doh:

Thank God she was ok, but there was a giant hole in my parents' house :verysad: And -this is the weird part- my parents didn't hear a thing!!

Ya know, I once a had a boyfriend who almost crashed my car into someone's house too, by parking it without the brake on...he didn't last long after that :teehee:

mks22300
01-11-2007, 08:04 PM
So glad your ok!

mks22300
01-11-2007, 08:05 PM
So glad your ok!

hunterjenn
01-11-2007, 10:58 PM
One was when my brother was little. He got out of the car to go get something in the house, and left the door open. Grandma started to back up out of the garage, not realizing the door was open. Bye-bye, car door.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaahahhaha!!! I've done that one myself--when I was just 15 or so... :roflhard: :rofl: Now I'm really showing what an airhead I am!!

psammeadred
01-12-2007, 12:14 AM
I shut my head in a car door once, when I was about 10. I like to think that's the reason for some of my :whoosh: moments.

A guy in my high school graduating class claimed to have shut his ear in his car door.

HamburgKnitter
01-12-2007, 11:58 AM
OMG, I'm so glad you're OK!

After I got over the shock I almost fell out of my chair with laughter while reading some of your stories though! :roflhard:

niffer
01-12-2007, 12:29 PM
I'm glad you're OK :hug: :hug: :hug:

I once had a friend who ran himself into a car!

He was jogging and a car was reversing out of a driveway - he didn't see it as he was going into a sprint with his head down. He ran head first into the back door of the car.

He was fine - just an egg sized lump on his head that remained for a good few years until he had it removed.

Just goes to show - exercise is dangerous! I'll stick to knitting! :roflhard:

hunterjenn
01-12-2007, 12:33 PM
Just goes to show - exercise is dangerous! I'll stick to knitting! :roflhard:

:chair: Woooohoooohoooo! *wipes tears from eyes* Ran himself INTO a car....that's a good one!

Hamburg, glad you were entertained. :) I was, too, by the time I got around to writing about it, and hey--it makes a good story!

psam, we need more details! How did you shut your HEAD into a door??? :teehee:

psammeadred
01-12-2007, 01:54 PM
I was getting something out of my dad's car, and I shut the door before I had fully backed out of the way. I saw stars for a bit. But it didn't hurt nearly as bad as the time I took a running jump into the minivan through the side door, missed, and slammed my shins against the floorboard edge! (Just remembering that makes my legs hurt...)

mrs desert rain
01-12-2007, 04:13 PM
But it didn't hurt nearly as bad as the time I took a running jump into the minivan through the side door, missed, and slammed my shins against the floorboard edge! (Just remembering that makes my legs hurt...)

oh, super-ouch!