PDA

View Full Version : Pinwheel Sweater KAL

misstialouise
01-10-2007, 04:54 AM
Well,

I am going to make one of these (http://elann.com/ShowFreePattern.asp?Id=138024) for our Easter trip away...

I'm double stranding Grignasco Bambi in 5 colours. Three of which I already have (so I can start it at least :D)

Who's with me??

:D

five_six
01-10-2007, 08:34 AM
Oh me, absolutely... :cheering:

Good call - it was thanks to you that i already have the all my colours picked and put in a little cane basket, along with the printed pattern, just waiting to start...

However, I have the Sock Swap to do as well, so is there any time constraints on these?

One day, we can meet for lunch and a knit, maybe halfways between Brissy and Sydney and we can both wear our pinwheel sweater and be twins that knit :teehee:

feminine_earth
01-10-2007, 08:55 AM
Oh my goodness...that is gorgeous! I want to knit that SOOOOOO badly!! But it looks kinda difficult... :pout:

Cherinec5
01-10-2007, 12:24 PM
I wanna join in this! I would love to make one for my daughter! I wont be able to start this for probably a few weeks at least till i finish my husbands sweater and get all the yarn though!

feminine_earth
01-10-2007, 02:12 PM
Ok, so I've become quite obsessed with this pattern since I first opened it this morning. :inlove: Count me in! I'm currently trying to choose colors, and I'll hopefully be buying the yarn and needles this Friday! :happydance:

Are you guys using the elann yarn? It seems like a good price, but I'm still new to knitting so if there's a cheaper yarn of just as good quality out there somewhere, please point me in the right direction. :)

Oh I'm so excited! This will be my first sweater! If only I could choose between a blue or green color scheme, I'd be set! :rofl:

misstialouise
01-10-2007, 04:45 PM
No time restraints, kids.. :D

LMAO Dee!! You never know... we plan on taking a trip north soon.. ;)

I'm not using the Elann wool, as it costs too much to ship to Australia...

I'm double stranding a 'baby' merino wool that I love to work with :D

I'll be casting on this baby in about a week and a halfs time (if I can restrain myself), as I have a couple of 'deadline' projects about finished...

five_six
01-10-2007, 07:52 PM
LMAO Dee!! You never know... we plan on taking a trip north soon.. ;)

ooohh, how exciting :cheering: I'll keep my eye out for you!

I'm not using the Elan wool, same issue with the shipping and all. I'm using some Katia Diana and Mississipi that I have already in my stash, so i'm ready to go, once i finish the multitude of other projects (although i did finish a major project last night, so it's really just the sock swap that i am stressed about at the mo)...

Can't wait to start, I too, am trying very hard to practice the art of restraint!!

Cherinec5
01-10-2007, 08:05 PM
well i was looking through my stash and i have about 9 or so skeins of caron simply soft in white, black, bone (biege), light purple, light pink, light blue, yellow, red, victorian rose. do you guys think it will be fine if i use this yarn? and if so what color combo do you think i should use??

thischicknits
01-10-2007, 11:52 PM
Hey all!
I started a thread about this a while back but it became a UFO for me. Maybe I'll join and try to get it finished! I think I only need to do the sleeves...

misstialouise
01-11-2007, 12:10 AM
DH just sent me a link to a Aus wool shop that has great priced yarn...

I may have to rethink my yarn choice :D

lissalue
01-11-2007, 12:10 AM
i wanna make several, matching ones for me and my girls. it is now on my todo list after my sock swap socks. thanks tia!! :cheering:

five_six
01-11-2007, 12:48 AM
DH just sent me a link to a Aus wool shop that has great priced yarn...

I may have to rethink my yarn choice :D

ooohhh.... can i please have that link :pray:

misstialouise
01-11-2007, 12:59 AM
www.ozeyarn.com

:D

ChristineDoucet
01-11-2007, 02:25 PM
I want to join !!!
I started mine in Monday night !!!
I'm making it the sames colors as in the picture
Christine

Eloewien
01-11-2007, 09:25 PM
I want to make one of these but I have my hands full with lacework, maybe in a couple weeks I'll have more time...

jamadian75
01-16-2007, 12:32 AM
Hello all!

I've been "tracking" this for quite some time now and would love to make the child's size from some stash yarn, and I have a friend who wanted me to knit something for her daughter and she really likes this pattern too.

Count me in as a silent joiner for now...I'm working on the Central Park Hoodie KAL and trying to be really good about my knit queue this year! :teehee:

Yarnlady
01-16-2007, 09:09 AM
I started mine last night. I had the most trouble getting started so ended up using a combo of techniques. More info on my blog.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v478/SamplerLady/Two/th_PinwheelSweater1-15-07.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v478/SamplerLady/Two/PinwheelSweater1-15-07.jpg)

Update

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v478/SamplerLady/th_PinwheelSweater21Jan07.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v478/SamplerLady/PinwheelSweater21Jan07.jpg)

When I did the sleeves I used the same techique for an afterthought heel. When I got to the point to set aside the sts for the sleeve, I took a piece of waste yarn (in this case white) and used it to knit across the sleeve sts (18 for child size, 30 for adult). Turned and knit back still using the waste yarn. Then picked up the working yarn (yellow in this case) and kept on knitting, doing the same at the second sleeve opening. You can see it in the photo as the area of white that is out of place on the yellow stripe.

Today I'll pick out the waste yarn, pick up the live sts and knit the sleeves. :happydance:

misstialouise
01-16-2007, 04:00 PM
Oooh.. looks good!

I've just received another sample card of a Wool Mill down here...

I just have to choose my colours now :D

ChristineDoucet
01-16-2007, 07:03 PM
Ok Soooo I'm alittle confused......
I'm at the part where you put stitches asside for the sleeves.
pattern :
place the second set of 30 stitches on a holder, join a new ball of yarn and cast on 30 stitches

ok .. soooooo i get put 30 stitches on holder.. but what do they mean by join new ball of yarn.. where did the other ball of yarn go ??? ahh confused.......
please help
christine

suzeeq
01-17-2007, 12:49 AM
The first ball of yarn is still there, dangling from the stitch holder, but you'll save that for the sleeves.

sue

feminine_earth
02-06-2007, 11:51 AM
How is everyone doing with their pinwheels? The Sock Swap is drawing to a close, so I'll soon be buying my yarn for my pinwheel! I'm hoping to get it done by May because my husband and I will be visiting his family in Ireland, and this sweater will be perfect for their May weather. I'm excited! :cheering:

Yarnlady
02-07-2007, 09:40 AM
I finished mine up awhile ago...forgot to put a pic here. I used the afterthought heel technique for the sleeves and found it much easier than the directions given--which I didn't understand at all.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v478/SamplerLady/th_misc007_edited.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v478/SamplerLady/misc007_edited.jpg)

feminine_earth
02-07-2007, 02:21 PM
I finished mine up awhile ago...forgot to put a pic here. I used the afterthought heel technique for the sleeves and found it much easier than the directions given--which I didn't understand at all.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v478/SamplerLady/th_misc007_edited.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v478/SamplerLady/misc007_edited.jpg)

Wow! Great job!! I especially like the border you used...what is that? I'm not fond of I-cord, so when I get to the edge, I'd like to try something a bit less time consuming.

Anyway, fantastic sweater! :cheering:

itsjustmeghan
02-07-2007, 08:20 PM
so cute! even if it was made in a solid color, i'd love it!!!

and to the cue it gets added....

Yarnlady
02-08-2007, 09:02 AM
Wow! Great job!! I especially like the border you used...what is that? I crocheted a Made-I-Up-As-I-Went-Along border. :teehee:

Lighting57
02-17-2007, 02:58 PM
I want to make this sweater in a different brand yarn. Can someone tell me what the weight of the Elan wool (that is used in the pattern) is and how much in ounces and yarns is required? Thanks.

HeatherFeather
03-12-2007, 09:33 PM
YarnLady!!!

Thanks for your modification on those sleeves.....not that I don't want to learn something new (provisional CO and all that mess) I'm just too LAZY to!!!

But I like YOUR version much much better!!!!!!!!!!! I'll have to do that TONIGHT before I go to bed so I can take this to work.

I've knit this sweater 2x now up to the sleeve holes!!!!!!!!!! I goofed and the pinwheel didn't look "right"....so I ripped it out and started again. This is such a FAST sweater!!!

I'm making it for my wee little Godson!!! He'll be a year next month. :)

temergency
03-14-2007, 06:04 AM
A co-worker and I are going to do a mini knit along with you! We have purchased color cards and are going to pick our colors and get started...we both fell in love with the pattern. We will be posting when we get started!! :cheering:

HeatherFeather
03-14-2007, 07:26 AM
I'm more of an "inches" person....and haven't really looked at the adult version yet. BUT...I'd love to make this in a natural(cotton) chunky yarn with big ole loops around the edge!!!

Ya know what I mean, knit so many inches, then do such and such. I think it gives more flexibility to the pattern!!! So, after I get the lil sweater done, I'm going to take some "general" measurments, and see if I can get a formula.

itsjustmeghan
03-14-2007, 09:08 AM
i actually think when i knit this up i'm going to do it in a solid color...i was thinking offwhite, charcoal grey or black. i thought it'd look nice, but still show the circle design. my sister in law actually has a sweater from banana republic that is offwhite and a similar shape to this one.

i just need to finish this wicked sweater and crochet dh a blanket before i can start another sweater project! :wall:

i'm excited to see your finished projects, though

HeatherFeather
03-14-2007, 10:38 AM
I did mine in a varigated rainbowy stash yarn!!! This is an AWSOME stash buster( for the little one)!!! AND....not much thinking is involved with it. A pattern that is easily memorized is awsome in my book!!

thischicknits
03-22-2007, 09:56 PM
I am working through the sleeves and running out of stash, but I think I can make it!

itsjustmeghan
03-22-2007, 10:08 PM
ohhhhhh....what yarns did you use?! it's turning out awesome!
i can't wait to see hte final!
did you crochet the edge? it looks great!
i still want to do this one in solid offwhite....add it to the list!
:notworthy: you are awesome, thischicknits

thischicknits
03-22-2007, 10:42 PM
I forgot to mention how great your Wicked looks! Kudos!

For the edge, I did whatever it was they had for the child's sweater. I haven't done much on this lately, but it is slowly coming along. Thanks for the nod!

suzeeq
03-23-2007, 12:17 AM
Elann has another version with more crocheted edging. It's here (http://www.elann.com/ShowFreePattern.asp?Id=186024) in a DK weight yarn, and I love that color! Here's another (http://www.elann.com/ShowFreePattern.asp?Id=172024) in a fuzzy yarn.

sue

HeatherFeather
03-23-2007, 06:26 AM
I don't think I've EVER been in love with a pattern as much as I've been in :heart: :heart: :heart: with this one!!!!!!!!!!!

I made 1 baby one so far, and working on the second (barter with my hairdresser!!!!!!!!!!). I LOVE it because it is quite nearly brainless knitting. Takes me a couple days to knit up.

The first one I did to pattern with the k1 row, p1 row edging. This one is moss/seed (i get them confuseled) border.

AND...they have different weight patterns. I was going to go crazy trying to figure out the measurements.

I want to make this in bulky cotton!!

OH, and my DD wants one so we can MATCH!!! she's 8, and I HAVE to strike when the iron is hot on that one!!! who KNOWS how long she'll still want to be like mama!!

HeatherFeather
03-25-2007, 09:03 PM
CALLING ALL PINWHEEL SWEATER MAKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol....

I'm going to make one of these for my DD...but she's EIGHT. :) the size as it is is only up to age 4.

What kinds of modifications can I make to make it not as big as the woman's size of course, but not as tiny as the baby size? I've made two of them already....:)

We are leaving for FIL's funeral in the am, and I'll have time to knit in the car and just a lot of sitting around time.

Do I start the sleeves at the shoulders? I've not seen one of these on in person...what suggestions to do have for modifications?

I'll be off and on here all week....

suzeeq
03-25-2007, 11:47 PM
It's pretty easy to modify. The sweater starts at the center back and goes outward. Measure your daughter at the shoulder (look at the adult pattern for the exact spot) and that's where you make the openings for the sleeve. The instructions for the adult size are easier for making the armholes. After putting those stitches on waste yarn, keep knitting around until it's large enough to go around her. The sleeve stitches are picked up around the armhole and knit until they're long enough.

sue

HeatherFeather
03-26-2007, 06:29 AM
cool!!! Thanks so much for your reply!!! :)

Lighting57
04-28-2007, 12:34 PM
I am practicing this pattern and having the worst time with the DPN's . So I started using the ML method. It is much simpler for me this way. However, for whatever reason, I keep making a mistake with an increase and it throws the whole thing off. If I should be fortunate enough to make it to three or four inches into the pattern, maybe then it will be easier to read. Am I the only one having problems with this?

HeatherFeather
04-28-2007, 01:09 PM
ya, i usually have to take it out 2-3 times before I really get going with it.

I was helping my non-knitter gf with it, and I had her put the stitch markers at every increase, with a different color that starts the round. You put the markers AFTER the increase, and then you know that you do the increase just BEFORE the stitch marker...maybe that will help?

Lighting57
04-30-2007, 02:33 PM
I've started over another 3-4 times since I posted. I think I know now what my problem is. I am forgetting to make that last YO or it is sliding off of my needles as I am turning to start knitting from the other side ( and I don't notice it). I'm using the magic loop method. I got fed up with the DPN's. I'll get it figured out. I'm not one to be easliy stopped once I get going.

HeatherFeather
04-30-2007, 02:45 PM
ya, I've got that problem too!! I'm presently on my 4th sweater, and needed to take it out 2x this am at work....( granted I WAS distracted...but still...lol...)

suzeeq
04-30-2007, 10:48 PM
Why are you turning to work the other side? This is knit completley in the round. That's why the dpns and circs :?? Or do you mean when you go to knit off the next needle?

sue

HeatherFeather
05-01-2007, 05:37 AM
ooooooooooo I didn't notice that.....

and I'm now on my 3rd rip out...I didn't stitch mark enough...and now I"m paying!!!!!!!!

baronreads
05-02-2007, 10:08 AM
This is a BEAUTIFUL sweater!! How would you rate the difficulty? Intermediate? I've bookmarked it for later! ;)

HeatherFeather
05-02-2007, 03:20 PM
EASYYYYYYYYYY

easy experience with DPN (meaning you get to work with them, but you don't use them that long)

Stitches used
k,p, co, bo, and YO....

that's IT...it's done in the round....easy easy easy easy....but you do need to pay a tiny bit of attention if you are in a K round or a YO round....

I can do the baby sweater in about 3 days.

baronreads
05-02-2007, 03:27 PM
Thanks Heather! I'm DROOLING over it and it may go on the list AFTER the Booga Bag! Maybe even before socks! ;)

HeatherFeather
05-02-2007, 03:29 PM
just word to the wise...they way they do the sleeves in the pattern is WAY confusing...when you get to that point...read up in this thread, or look for the afterthought heel....WAY better than what is written. :)

suzeeq
05-02-2007, 08:05 PM
just word to the wise...they way they do the sleeves in the pattern is WAY confusing...when you get to that point...read up in this thread, or look for the afterthought heel....WAY better than what is written. :)

The one for the Adult version is easier, like the afterthought heel, I think. The children's version is the hard way.

sue

Lighting57
05-05-2007, 12:30 PM
Why are you turning to work the other side? This is knit completley in the round. That's why the dpns and circs Or do you mean when you go to knit off the next needle?

I got fed up with the DPN's. Instead I used the ML method to start and work this pattern by. Now that my work as grown to the circumference of the cable, I am working in the round. I was working in the round too with the ML method. I can't clearly explain what I mean by turning. If you undernstand ML, then you understand what I'm trying to convey.

For me the hardest part was remembering to make sure the YO was still on the needles and remembering if I was on a YO round or not.

Has anyone worked the sleeves with a gradual flare instead of straight or tapered?

suzeeq
05-05-2007, 12:46 PM
Okay, I do know ML and understand what you're saying. Don't make the loops at the spot where the YOs are - have them in the plain knitting sections. Then they won't slide around on you.

sue

Quiltlady
05-07-2007, 10:32 AM
This sweater is so beautiful and very unusual. I am interested in one for a child. I'll read thru the pattern and see if I think I can knit one. :??

Lighting57
05-08-2007, 10:43 AM
OK! I'm at the part where you join another ball of yarn for the sleeve. BUT where and to what? :wall: The pattern doesn't say where to join it and to what. Better yet, has anyone found a picture tutorial online for this sweater that they can point me too?

Lighting57
05-13-2007, 04:20 PM
OK. I decided to do the afterthought method for the sleeves instead of the way the pattern calls for. Talk about easy and more convenient! The afterthought heel method is the way to do this. And now that I've tried it, I know I will be using it to make socks also.

BTW, am I the only one making one of these sweaters now?

five_six
05-13-2007, 07:14 PM
No, I just finished the loopy edge on a child's/toddlers version yesterday, just weaving in ends now, then I'll block it and take a pic for you all. I have to agree with the afterthough method. I stumbled through the other way, and it was a total pain. When I make another one, I'll be using the afterthought method too!