PDA

View Full Version : DPNs and Circulars

Claire06
01-10-2007, 03:58 PM
Hi,

I've been knitting for about 9 months now on straight needles, but find the patterns I want to knit increasingly use DPNs or circular needles. I don't have the money to buy a full set of either, so I was wondering if someone could give me an idea of the best sizes to buy, given that I do mainly baby knitting.

Thanks!

brendajos
01-10-2007, 04:01 PM
it is hard to say but have you looked at the circular sets? the cost is actually pretty minimal considering how many needles you are actually getting. it seems like a lot in one shot but when i consider how much i spent on individual needles before switcing to an interchangable set, i could have bought 5 sets i would think.

Jan in CA
01-10-2007, 04:10 PM
If you need to you can find the patterns you are most interested in knitting and see what sizes are recommened. Start with those and add to them later or buy the set next time around.

suzeeq
01-10-2007, 04:12 PM
And if you go with the ones sold at Joann's or Michaels, you can use the 40% off coupons on them. I think Joann's is having a 50% off sale all this week. Ebay is anoter resource for needle sets, and the swap forums here and on other boards.

sue

janelanespaintbrush
01-10-2007, 04:20 PM
it is hard to say but have you looked at the circular sets? the cost is actually pretty minimal considering how many needles you are actually getting. it seems like a lot in one shot but when i consider how much i spent on individual needles before switcing to an interchangable set, i could have bought 5 sets i would think.

If you go with Knitpicks Options (a well-regarded interchangeable system), you can purchase just the components you want instead of buying the whole set. That way, you can get the needle sizes and cable lengths you use most, and if you want add more needle tips later, you can use them with the cables you already have. (If you want to check them out, you'll see links to Options in the banners ads above -- refresh 'til you get to one.)

VickyS456
01-10-2007, 05:46 PM
If you use code JANA750 at Joann, it takes 50% off one item. I have the Boye set in my cart for $35.00 HTH :)

exp 1/31/07

brendajos
01-10-2007, 05:51 PM
be careful on that pricing. the last time i looked at Joann's Needlemaster price the "regular" price they listed was $99. They will only take those percentages off "regular" pricing, not off sale prices.

(I haven't looked lately so they may have lowered it finally!)

ETA: you can definitely find them on Ebay at the $35 range though...that's where i got both my sets that i had, at that price! :thumbsup:

*KnitPixie*
01-10-2007, 06:16 PM
I think you would be better off with DPNS I knit for babies alot for baby showers and charity and I mainly use them when doing baby knitting. Size 5 is one of the pairs I use the most :teehee:

VickyS456
01-10-2007, 06:24 PM
be careful on that pricing. the last time i looked at Joann's Needlemaster price the "regular" price they listed was $99. They will only take those percentages off "regular" pricing, not off sale prices.

(I haven't looked lately so they may have lowered it finally!)

ETA: you can definitely find them on Ebay at the $35 range though...that's where i got both my sets that i had, at that price! :thumbsup:

Yes. They lowered the regular price to $69.xx. They're on sale for $48.xx, and with the coupon it's $35 (70/2=35). and of course there is 6% back from eBates.

Stiney
01-10-2007, 07:42 PM
50% off, eh? :thinking:

Maybe I should get a swift this month...

five_six
01-10-2007, 08:40 PM
hmmmm.... so if i used this code, but wasn't a US citizen, do you think they would notice :twisted:

mrs desert rain
01-10-2007, 09:28 PM
50% off, eh? :thinking:

Maybe I should get a swift this month...

that's what I'M thinkin'...