PDA

View Full Version : How do you pronounce "skein"??

feminine_earth
01-11-2007, 10:16 AM
Ok, maybe I'm just gramatically challeneged (which, honestly, I'm not), but I always thought "skein" was pronounced "skeen"...but lately, I've actually started talking to knitters in real life, and they all pronounce it as "skane"! So yeah, I feel kinda dorky, but every time I say it, I can't stop saying "skeen"!! :shrug: It's, like, stuck in my head now.

So...how do you pronounce "skein"? :)

Lieke
01-11-2007, 10:27 AM
Well, I also say skeen, but I've got a great excuse, since my fist language is dutch and english is only my second language and I KNOW my pronunciation totally SUCKS. (but well, I won't starve when I'm in an english speaking country, so for now I'm happy with it)

jessi_9783
01-11-2007, 10:29 AM
The first option is correct (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/skein).

nadja la claire
01-11-2007, 10:34 AM
It's pronounced skane because of the E before I rule. If the E is before the I then it is pronounced as an A. If the I is before the E then it is pronounced as E.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

feminine_earth
01-11-2007, 10:35 AM
Yep, I had looked it up in the dictionary to prove those old knitting ladies wrong...and promptly got proved wrong myself! :rofl:

I'm just wondering how everyone else in the world pronounces it. :)

lindakh
01-11-2007, 10:45 AM
My mother-in-law, who stocks yarn (Red Heart) in her variety store, always said "skane", so that's how I pronounced it - thank goodness it's right! I wasn't a knitter until after I was married, so I never even knew what a skein was before I met her!

Webigail
01-11-2007, 10:50 AM
I was JUST having this conversation, with of all people, my husband.

I asked is it "skane, skeen, or skine?"

I've heard it all three ways.

Stiney
01-11-2007, 10:51 AM
Yeah, I think "skein" is one of the words that I knew how to say before I knew how it was spelled. Or around the same time. I can't remember learning how to say or spell it. :shrug:

And I do say "skane" and always have.

brownishcoat
01-11-2007, 11:02 AM
I was talking to my best friend about helping me build a swift, and at one point I said "skane" and he's like, "Skane, what's that?"

I held one up, "This is a skane." "How do you spell that?" So he'd never heard it before either. So funny that this is coming up during the same week! :roflhard:

joe_doufu
01-11-2007, 11:39 AM
I pronounce it "ball" which I think is also a bit wrong.

SabrinaJL
01-11-2007, 11:43 AM
I say 'skane', which for some reason, my husband thinks is a hilarous word. So now whenever we're out and we see yarn he'll hold it up and say "Is this a skein?", even though he knows perfectly well if it is or isn't. :roll:

Renoah
01-11-2007, 11:48 AM
Interestingly, the Wiktionary (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/skein) has it only as "skeen". The OED is unambiguous about it being "skane", as are all the other sources I've come up with. Even from the etymology I don't see any reason for it to have developed into "skeen".

On the other hand, if you are pronouncing it another way, I feel it is my duty as a linguist to affirm your pronunciation decision and to thank you for your contribution to language change. ;)

brendajos
01-11-2007, 11:59 AM
I pronounce it "ball" which I think is also a bit wrong.

:rofl:

knit-errant
01-11-2007, 12:02 PM
I also say "skane." Never really thought about it.

Though now that I've had a new neurosis fed, I might just talk about hanks and balls! ;)

Julie
01-11-2007, 12:39 PM
I can't stop saying "skeen"!! :shrug: It's, like, stuck in my head now.

This is how I am with merino. For some reason I always thought it was MER-i-no, with the accent on the first syllable. But it's not -- it's mer-EEE-no, and I've probably known this for a year and a half, but in my head I always say MERino. :roll: :roll: :roll:

iza
01-11-2007, 12:49 PM
I had NOOO idea it was supposed to be pronounced "skane". I was saying "skeen". Then again English is my second language. My boyfriend, however, is a native english speaker and never corrected me, I wonder if he knows!

English is such a weird language for that. The rules for pronunctiation are always very vague. My boyfriend always says there is absolutely no link in english between how a word is written and how you should pronounce it. You just have to... know. :wall:

bailsmom
01-11-2007, 01:41 PM
It's pronounced skane because of the E before I rule. If the E is before the I then it is pronounced as an A. If the I is before the E then it is pronounced as E.

I have never heard of this in my entire life on this planet, and I'm 30 yrs old!!!

Thanks for the english lesson :teehee:

brendajos
01-11-2007, 01:44 PM
well it isn't true in all instances...just like just about everything else in the english language...lol

hummingbird
01-11-2007, 02:14 PM

I don't know how they came up with [ey] to mean ay as in day, but I'll admit that I'm contributing to language change by saying it skeen. Why don't we spell skein in a way that makes its pronuciation more obivous. :teehee:

feminine_earth
01-11-2007, 03:50 PM

I don't know how they came up with [ey] to mean ay as in day, but I'll admit that I'm contributing to language change by saying it skeen. Why don't we spell skein in a way that makes its pronuciation more obivous. :teehee:
I agree! I think it should either be spelled "skane" or "skeen" to let us know how on earth to pronounce it! :)

Rennagayle
01-11-2007, 04:00 PM
I lived the first 14 years of my life in OK, then the last 36 here in Texas. I've always pronounced, and heard it pronounced, as skane....until last year. My sis-in-law, born and raised in Texas pronounced it skeen. I immediately assumed it was just her error, though, since she truly mispronounces many words. :roll:

Julie, until today (thank you, by the way! :thumbsup: ) , I did not know how to pronounce "merino". I always made a habit of never speaking it in front of anyone, since I had no idea how to say it. :mrgreen:

CateKnits
01-11-2007, 06:00 PM

I have never heard of this in my entire life on this planet, and I'm 30 yrs old!!!

I had always assumed it was like skane.
It's like 'neighbor' isn't nee-bor and 'weigh' isn't wheeeeeeeeee!

Stiney
01-11-2007, 06:22 PM

I had always assumed it was like skane.
It's like 'neighbor' isn't nee-bor and 'weigh' isn't wheeeeeeeeee!

OMG :roflhard: "I'm going wheeeee myself on the scale." :roflhard:

CateKnits
01-11-2007, 06:32 PM
I just wanted an excuse to say 'wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!' :teehee:

madametj
01-11-2007, 07:04 PM
:shock: skane? seriously? skane?!?!! i'm just like u, i've always pronounced it skeen (and english is my first language :doh: ). this is what i get for teaching myself from books...

skane sounds so weird to me. i dont think i'll change my prounciation though. i dont have any knitters around to correct me :teehee:

Krystal
01-11-2007, 07:22 PM

Nadja xxx

there are so many exceptions, that doesn't even qualify. haha...

"i before e, except after c, or when sounded like "a" as in neighbour or weigh." but then what about weird, rotweiler, neither... etc. The general rule is just a good helper for kids when learning to spell.

I will pronounce it skeen till the day I die.. Skane sounds awkward to me. :whistle:

MiaZilla
01-11-2007, 07:31 PM
I guess I pronouse it 'skane' in my head. I don't know any English speaking knitters IRL XD

But uhm. The southernmost provice of Sweden is kalled Skåne, often written Skane in English (and pronounced ska-ne in English) so this thread sounds very weird to me :roflhard: *pets native province* :heart:

losnana
01-11-2007, 07:56 PM

"I before E except after ce or when sounding like 'a' as in neighbro or weigh." BTW I used to teach English. Could you tell?

Stiney
01-11-2007, 08:09 PM

Nadja xxx

there are so many exceptions, that doesn't even qualify. haha...

"i before e, except after c, or when sounded like "a" as in neighbour or weigh." but then what about weird, rotweiler, neither... etc. The general rule is just a good helper for kids when learning to spell.

I will pronounce it skeen till the day I die.. Skane sounds awkward to me. :whistle:

Well, rottweiler's not an English word. But weird and neither/either are good examples.

(Of course, I'm a nye-ther/eye-ther gal, except when they're the last word in the sentence.

"Eye-ther Lamb's Pride or Malabrigo will felt, because they are both wool."

"I don't like Red Heart Super Saver, eeether.")

losnana
01-11-2007, 10:40 PM
all rules about the English language have exceptions-frequently more exceptions than rule-followers. Is that a word? No wonder it's the most difficult language to learn.

i'd rather be knitting
01-12-2007, 01:19 AM
I've always pronounced it "skane" but the owner of my LYS pronounces it "skeen".

Kirochka
01-12-2007, 04:43 PM
I'd never heard anyone pronounce it "skeen" before... :shrug:

dustinac
01-12-2007, 04:54 PM
I say skeen.. lol in the part of WV I'm from everyone says skeen.. although we also say yella for yellow :teehee: