PDA

View Full Version : Bit OT: typical dutch

Lieke
01-11-2007, 10:49 AM
Okay, so I want to put something typical dutch with my sockintine socks, but I was wondering what you are calling typical dutch. My idea was liquorice, but I'm not sure if that's how people from outside the Netherlands are looking at it.

So my question, what is typical dutch in you opinion.

Stiney
01-11-2007, 10:53 AM
Clogs, girls with blond braids, the dyke. Amsterdam ( :shifty: ).

OOH and those really yummy wafer things that come in the blue and white tins. :drool:

Licorice, not so much. I sorry. :pout:

ETA: And windmills. We're very stereotype-y in the US. :pout:

mulene
01-11-2007, 10:55 AM
Typically Dutch? Those waffles with syrupy stuff in the middle... they come in a tin. Stroopwaffles?

brownishcoat
01-11-2007, 10:58 AM
Tulips!

Lieke
01-11-2007, 10:58 AM
ah, stroopwafels, I was wondering what the waffer-thing was. Yes, why didn't I think of that :doh:

(those are actually totally yummy, I'm really addicted to them)

Lieke
01-11-2007, 10:59 AM
Tulips!

how should I ship tulips :rofl: they are dead before they arrive :teehee:

because I tought of that, but well, there were some practical problems with that idea ;)

mulene
01-11-2007, 11:04 AM

Me too - I'm glad I don't live in Holland and find them hard to get here in the UK :teehee:

brownishcoat
01-11-2007, 11:07 AM
Tulips!

because I tought of that, but well, there were some practical problems with that idea ;)

I'm sorry, I misread your intent. I thought you were looking for something typical Dutch for a PATTERN to incorporate in the socks. My bad!

:teehee:

Lieke
01-11-2007, 11:17 AM
Tulips!

I'm sorry, I misread your intent. I thought you were looking for something typical Dutch for a PATTERN to incorporate in the socks. My bad!

Doesn't matter :teehee:

Might have been my english :oops:

Lieke
01-11-2007, 11:18 AM

Me too - I'm glad I don't live in Holland and find them hard to get here in the UK :teehee:

I'll probably be in London this summer :whistle: :angelgrin:

mulene
01-11-2007, 11:22 AM
ROFL Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!! :teehee:

brendajos
01-11-2007, 11:24 AM
well if it was something with your actual socks, you could make these! (http://www.knitty.com/issuespring03/PATTtiptoe.html) :teehee:

otherwise i would have said beautifully decorated clogs!

(and you could send tulip bulbs! ;) )

Stiney
01-11-2007, 11:33 AM
well if it was something with your actual socks, you could make these! (http://www.knitty.com/issuespring03/PATTtiptoe.html) :teehee:

otherwise i would have said beautifully decorated clogs!

(and you could send tulip bulbs! ;) )

I was gonna suggest tulip bulbs.

Yes, stroopwaffles, those are delicious. :drool: Trader Joe's has them sometimes.

joe_doufu
01-11-2007, 11:37 AM
Hmm... when I think of things associated with the Netherlands I think of pot brownies and adult, er, recreational objects. Better not ship pot brownies internationally, though. In fact, maybe just stick with tulips.

Jan in CA
01-11-2007, 12:11 PM
Hmm... when I think of things associated with the Netherlands I think of pot brownies and adult, er, recreational objects. Better not ship pot brownies internationally, though. In fact, maybe just stick with tulips.

candicane
01-11-2007, 12:13 PM
The licorice... go with the licorice. Or better yet, just send me the licrorice! The stronger the better.

candice

Stiney
01-11-2007, 12:13 PM

Yeah, that's why I just said "Amsterdam." :rofl:

knitqueen
01-11-2007, 12:15 PM
I think the stroopwaffles are great. YUM. I asked my dh, who is Dutch, and the first thing he said was worstebroches (I have NO idea how to spell it....hope you know what I mean), then he said apple stroop. Apple stroop, to me, is something you have to have a taste for - I can't stand the stuff - but the stroopwaffles are a different story. I love them and it's a good thing we only have them occasionally when MIL brings some. Licorice is typically dutch too - my FIL often has black licorice drops and he tries to offer them to my kids as a big treat but they don't see it that way! :teehee:

bip
01-11-2007, 02:39 PM
Chocolate or cheese. Man Dutch cheese is amazing - I might choose cheese over chocolate if it were Dutch.

Orchid22
01-11-2007, 03:44 PM
Keeshonden are Dutch! (And very cute I might add!!)

I have one and am learning how to spin his supersoft fur.

knit-errant
01-11-2007, 04:08 PM
My first thought was also tulips/tulip bulbs. My second was letterbanket cookies. Mmmm... :drool:

Delft pottery came to mind too, but that would probably be pretty impractical.

figaro
01-11-2007, 04:58 PM
I would say licorice also, my husband is Dutch and before he got T2 Diabetes, he would always bring home 2 or 3 bags of really strong licorice and eat it in a couple of days! He has tried the sugar-free but it is not the same.

HamburgKnitter
01-11-2007, 05:36 PM
French fries covered in mayonnaise? Oh wait, that's belgian...but you can only find it in Holland. :shrug: Also a bit impractical to ship. :??

How about a PICTURE of tulips? And windmills. And little girls with braids, wearing clogs.

I could go on and on, you know. :teehee:

want2knit
01-11-2007, 05:43 PM
Tulips!

Yes, the first thing I thought of was tulips also!

VickyS456
01-11-2007, 05:53 PM
Dropjes? (the salty ones) I think they're nasty, but most people out here love em.

http://www.hollandbymail.nl/item_list/drop/venco_dubbelzoute_drop.jpg

Stiney
01-11-2007, 06:20 PM
French fries covered in mayonnaise? Oh wait, that's belgian...but you can only find it in Holland. :shrug: Also a bit impractical to ship. :??

How about a PICTURE of tulips? And windmills. And little girls with braids, wearing clogs.

I could go on and on, you know. :teehee:

I know lots of Americans who eat their fries with mayo. I think it's gross, but hey, whatevs.

susanc
01-11-2007, 06:30 PM
Chocolate or cheese. Man Dutch cheese is amazing - I might choose cheese over chocolate if it were Dutch.

I agree! Dutch chocolate or cheese ~ YUM!!! :heart: :heart: Can't go wrong with either one of those!

Lieke
01-12-2007, 04:06 AM
I think the stroopwaffles are great. YUM. I asked my dh, who is Dutch, and the first thing he said was worstebroches (I have NO idea how to spell it....hope you know what I mean), then he said apple stroop. Apple stroop, to me, is something you have to have a taste for - I can't stand the stuff - but the stroopwaffles are a different story. I love them and it's a good thing we only have them occasionally when MIL brings some. Licorice is typically dutch too - my FIL often has black licorice drops and he tries to offer them to my kids as a big treat but they don't see it that way! :teehee:

it's spelled worstenbroodjes. (such a strange idea there isn't even an enlish word for that) Are they typical dutch? Never would have tought of that. I don't dare to send apple stroop, to scared the tin will open or break down and the socks will end up all sticky. I love apple stroop, but I can understand not everyone will love it. It tastes really nice with (dutch) cheese.

I tought about cheese as well, but since it'll take some time to ship, the cheese wont be edible when it arrives.

Dropjes? (the salty ones) I think they're nasty, but most people out here love em.

Hmm, venco drop :heart:

I tought of that, drop is liquorice right (or is my dictionary wrong :?? )

I agree! Dutch chocolate or cheese ~ YUM!!! :heart: :heart: Can't go wrong with either one of those!

What's different about dutch chocolate? I never tought that'd be an option, because evey country has chocolate :??

HamburgKnitter
01-12-2007, 04:15 AM
I think european chocolate in general is better than the american chocolate...it's creamier.

I :heart: chocolate! Especially swiss...and german...and belgian truffles...and......... :cheering:

Since you're knitting socks, why don't you send them with a pair of wooden dutch clogs? That would be a cute way of presenting them.

Jacklad
01-12-2007, 04:32 AM
Anything Delft - even better if your socks are blue and white. :teehee:

Now you've made want to buy the Delft colourway from http://www.lisaknit.com/yarn/animalfibers/sock.html. That is just gorgeous... I wonder if, when my husband sighs and rolls his eyes, I can get away with blaming it all on you?

:wink:

Jackie

katie09
01-12-2007, 04:44 AM
While trying to figure out what a stroopwaffle was (cuz it sounded familiar) I ran across this website: http://www.typicaldutchstuff.com/index.shtml

I guess you can't get much more "typical dutch" than by going to a place called "Typical Dutch Stuff". LOL

And I had no idea the Senseo coffeemaker was Dutch. Learn new things everyday.

Lieke
01-12-2007, 05:29 AM
ow, I totally forgot about the Unox rookworst. That really is Dutch. Thanks for the web-site, I'm sure I'll find some nice things to send with my socks. :hug:

ETA: omg, so many things I would have never tought of. thank you so much. My swap pal will get a totally dutch sockintine's present :happydance:

VickyS456
01-12-2007, 05:57 AM

Hmm, venco drop :heart:

I tought of that, drop is liquorice right (or is my dictionary wrong :?? )

Your dictionary is right, but when we (Americans) think liquorice, it's usually the sweet kind. The whole salty liquorice, especially the hard ones, took me by surprise when I moved here.