PDA

View Full Version : Which book is better?

kitkat
01-11-2007, 11:03 AM
Socks soar on two circulars or the Sensational Knitted sock book? I know how to do basic socks on dpns - but would like to learn on two circs too...

sara_jayne
01-11-2007, 11:05 AM
Sensational Knitted Socks does have instructions for knitting on 2 circs (and 4 DPNs and 5 DPNs). I haven't looked at the other book, but the SKS book is fantastic! :thumbsup:

mulene
01-11-2007, 11:06 AM
OK as someone who had never worked socks on two circs, and who had tried to read some online instructions, I got socks soar on two circs. I found this useful and easy to follow. Then I got sensational knitted socks which I LOVE

kitkat
01-11-2007, 12:27 PM
So....what you ladies are telling me is to get BOTH......and that way, along with my extra knitpicks options needles, I will qualify for free shipping!

(BTW, because I am in Ohio, my shipping there is ridiculously low....oh well!)

sara_jayne
01-11-2007, 12:29 PM
:thumbsup: Both is perfect!!! :teehee:

Julie
01-11-2007, 12:35 PM
If I had to choose one, I would definitely get SKS.

janelanespaintbrush
01-11-2007, 12:40 PM
To be honest, you probably don't need either one to learn how to make socks because there's so much great free info on the web. That said, if you're going to choose one, hands down it should be SKS. No contest at all. Socks Soar is a skinny little book that when you see it you think "Is this it?!?!?!" (I was very glad that I borrowed it from the library because I think I would've been mad if I spent actual money on it) whereas SKS is jam-packed with all kinds of good info, including how to do socks on two circs. It also offers many different options for construction and offers a nice array of stitch patterns. A second book, "More SKS" is supposed to be coming out soon, BTW.

I've also read good things about Queen Kahuna (http://www.queenkahuna-creations.com/crazytoesandheelsbook.html), a self-published offering that's supposed to be very detailed and repleat with pictures. I've never had the fortune to lay eyeballs on a copy as the $25 price tag turns me off, but it might be something to consider. (If anyone has it, please let us know if there's anything in it that we can't find elsewhere because she claims to have these valuable secrets, but I suspect they're not all that special.)

brownishcoat
01-11-2007, 02:14 PM
I'm with Jane on "Socks Soar…". I didn't like the way Cat split the socks into Left and Right, instead of Top and Bottom; I've used T/B and I think it makes a lot more sense. Also, there didn't seem to be any information on setting up 2 socks at once, which is one of the main reasons for using 2 circs or Magic Loop to knit socks, no SSS and the socks are identical.

I've read lots of reviews of SKS, and I think that will probably be the one I get, if I ever decide the free patterns and techniques on the web aren't enough. ;)

I'm curious about the Queen Kahuna book as well.

Holly
01-11-2007, 04:07 PM
LOL - I just got the Socks Soar book in the mail, and my first reaction was "This is it?!" :teehee: However, I am looking forward to using it to learn the technique. I :heart: SKS -- especially since it is very like a stitch dictionary that you can use to make whatever design sock you choose.

BTW -- I just got Cat Bordhi's Second Treasury of Magical Knitting after seeing her demonstrate the mobius technique on TV, and it is a nice book with great photos (much higher quality than the Socks Soar book).

Calamintha
01-11-2007, 07:05 PM
My advice is to get Sensational Knitted Socks and skip Socks Soar also. Sensational Knitted Socks uses the exact same technique as Socks Soar but is a much more versatile and worthwhile book. Socks Soar is a booklet not a book. It is about the same size as one of those Dover Coloring books. It has only a few patterns in it in a few sizes. The Sensational Knitted Socks book has many patterns that can all be adapted to virtually any size.

Count me as someone who also has a preference for keeping the stitches T/B rather than switching them during the heel so I have a third suggestion for you. Consider also the Sock Wizard software. It gives instructions for 2 circs keeping the stitches T/B. It will give you a pattern based on shoe size also so no worries about different sizes. It does not give you all the different stitch patterns though that Sensational Knitted Socks does.