PDA

View Full Version : Bank turns down $

snowbear
01-11-2007, 01:16 PM
In Oregon a yarn company set up sock yarn of the month club.. The bank in it's infinite wisdom thought that much $ could only be a scam. Therefore.. They refused to accept the credit card $ for them..

Here is a link that explains it better http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/

They actually don't believe knitters want to knit that many socks!

Sorry if OT... just had to share..

Jan in CA
01-11-2007, 01:24 PM
:shock: That's freaking insane! Maybe they need someone to do a quick search of "knitting socks" on the internet and see just how many people ARE into knitting socks! :grrr:

Stiney
01-11-2007, 01:31 PM
:rofl:

I think this is so funny. Vendie posted about it in her blog.

Yarn scam! :roflhard:

brendajos
01-11-2007, 01:36 PM
I got this in my e-mail yesterday and was delightfully amused.

I do think we need to give it up to the bank for trying to protect people from what they thought might be a scam. As annoying as it is I do appreciate them for the effort!

Jessica
01-11-2007, 01:39 PM
Thats Re-dic-u-lous!!! I would have gone crazy if I was Blue Moon. If I knew how to knit socks better, I would sign up for the sock club.

I cant believe a bank turned down money.

Jan in CA
01-11-2007, 01:50 PM
I do think we need to give it up to the bank for trying to protect people from what they thought might be a scam. As annoying as it is I do appreciate them for the effort!

True, HOWEVER I would think a smart bank would do a little research first. :doh:

brendajos
01-11-2007, 02:07 PM
well i don't deny that but i wonder if it wasn't an automated process. :shrug:

iza
01-11-2007, 02:15 PM
Un-believable. I mean, really. So because THEY don't understand it, it HAS to be a scam. :?? A 30 second research on the internet would have proved that this is INDEED a very good business plan. These people are not only pathetic and discriminatory against women, they are also incompetent, because they probably lost a VERY GOOD opportunity!!!

Wow Blue Moon has a LOT of class... I would LOVE to know which bank is that stupid and incompetent. So I don't do business with them!!!

BTW it didn't seem to be an automated process since they had a meeting face to face with the people of Blue Moon!!!

PurpleMittens
01-11-2007, 08:22 PM
I'm neither a financial regulator nor a white ollar criminal, so I am having a hard time imaging how that could possibly be a scam, regardless of the popularity of knitting.

BinkyKat
01-11-2007, 08:32 PM
Without reading this story, and with the experience I had working for a Visa card company, once a pattern is established they shouldn't get denials. It is a double edged sword - offering security over freedom of usage. There isn't a person that manually approves charges...and if the red flag comes up and the attempt history goes to the fraud prevention unit and they can deal with letting things through with a call to the customer to be sure this is legit. After a while, the history of the type of charge will become normal and less alarming.
Sock knitter's unite to inform the world that yarn is on the rise!!! :cheering:

One wouldn't think signing up for online genealogy sites would be a scam, but when i was working fraud card disputes, a lot of fraudsters steal a card # and then sign up for the site, get the mother's maiden name of the person whose card # they stole, then go on to do much more damage! Keep that in mind if you see a mysterious charge to a site like this if you are not doing family tree research. The companies are legit, but are being used unwittingly to help fraudsters commit crime. bummer! :!!!:

feministmama
01-11-2007, 09:42 PM
I bet as this story gets around it will only make Blue Moon more money from more customers.

Julie
01-11-2007, 09:47 PM
If it were a series of automated denials I might understand -- but there was MEETING held. These people actually sat around, had a meeting, and decided that it was a scam. :wall: :wall: :wall: Hello, have they not heard of Google?

:wall: :wall: :wall:

unfreakingbelievable.

BinkyKat
01-11-2007, 09:52 PM
And that is ridiculous...(I didn't read the story so I kind of added my 2 cents without the details)...and those are the people that make decisions and also make the big bucks. If knitter's held office and made the rules, this world would be perfectly peaceful and serene!
:hug: