PDA

View Full Version : Please help me to understand this...

niffer
01-11-2007, 02:21 PM
I'm looking at a pattern to see if its easy enough for me, and its all quite easy until...

dec row KO [0:3], K2tog, (K1, K2tog) 9 [11:11] times, K0 [0:3]. 19 [23:29] stitches.

Are the bits in [] for different sizes? Also, where it says 19 st at the end - is that an instruction or an indication of how many stitches there are?

brendajos
01-11-2007, 02:36 PM
I'm looking at a pattern to see if its easy enough for me, and its all quite easy until...

dec row KO [0:3], K2tog, (K1, K2tog) 9 [11:11] times, K0 [0:3]. 19 [23:29] stitches.

Are the bits in [] for different sizes? Also, where it says 19 st at the end - is that an instruction or an indication of how many stitches there are?

just based on what i am reading there, i would say you are making correct assumptions (that 19 is how many stitches their are) but i think we would need to know more about the pattern to be certain. is the pattern made for multiple sizes? how many stitches are in the row previous to this one?

niffer
01-11-2007, 02:44 PM
OK - Its for booties, Its a really old pattern that seems overcomplicated without actually explaining itself.

There are size guides for how big things will so there is a small, med and large and the cm that each will be.

Prior to the line I mentioned it says:

CO 29 [35:41] st and k 4 rows
work 8 rows in st st starting with a K row.

I think the [35:41] is for the sizes isn't it - it just looks like a ratio in mathematics and I think I was getting freaked out by that!!!

:oops: :oops: :oops:

brendajos
01-11-2007, 02:50 PM
well yeah i am sure those are for sizes.

i am confused by that decrease row though. if you have cast on 29 stitches, it SEEMS like something is missing in that decrease row. I could be missing it when i look at it though. the k2tog 9 times only uses 18 stitches. Is there anything that indicates what to do with the other 11 stitches?

suzeeq
01-11-2007, 02:54 PM
well yeah i am sure those are for sizes.

i am confused by that decrease row though. if you have cast on 29 stitches, it SEEMS like something is missing in that decrease row. I could be missing it when i look at it though. the k2tog 9 times only uses 18 stitches. Is there anything that indicates what to do with the other 11 stitches?

You forgot about the k1 that goes with the k2tog 9 times - that makes 18 sts, plus the 1 from the k2tog at the beg of the row = 19 sts.

Yes, I've seen older patterns that use : instead of , - or / to separate sizes.

sue

niffer
01-11-2007, 03:21 PM
The next row says:

** Next row, P to end.

There is no reference anywhere what the ** might refer to. In other parts of the pattern and in other patterns related to it (its a whole baby set) there are ***'s and ****'s as well.

Is this some universal sign for something?

brendajos
01-11-2007, 03:23 PM
:doh:

You forgot about the k1 that goes with the k2tog 9 times - that makes 18 sts, plus the 1 from the k2tog at the beg of the row = 19 sts.

hunterjenn
01-11-2007, 03:25 PM
The next row says:

** Next row, P to end.

There is no reference anywhere what the ** might refer to. In other parts of the pattern and in other patterns related to it (its a whole baby set) there are ***'s and ****'s as well.

Is this some universal sign for something?

The only time I've ever seen *s used, they were indicating something to be repeated, like *k5, ktog* 6 times. I have no idea what multiple ***s would mean, though! Weird...