PDA

View Full Version : EZ's Baby Surprise Jacket

Pages : 1 [2]

zkimom
09-17-2007, 01:30 AM
I always forget about that one, Susan. I guess because I use the Yahoo group one. :shrug:

That's ok, Jan -- I was glad I found that link because the joining that Yahoo group seems a little intimidating (to me anyway :aww:)

georgiamudfudge
09-17-2007, 09:21 AM
I would love to get my hands on this pattern but does anyone know where i could get it in the UK or if i could purchase it as a pdf? I dont really want to pay 3 dollars for the pattern and 12 dollars for the postage?

newamy
09-17-2007, 12:00 PM
The pattern is available in the books Knitting Around and the Opinionated Knitter. That will cost more than the pattern alone, but maybe the books are available in the UK and that would save you the postage. And the other EZ patterns in the books are very interesting and informative, so would be very worthwhile to have.

JGM
09-18-2007, 08:56 AM
I would love to get my hands on this pattern but does anyone know where i could get it in the UK or if i could purchase it as a pdf? I dont really want to pay 3 dollars for the pattern and 12 dollars for the postage?
I was also wondering about paying for a download, you know...instant gratification and all...

newamy
09-18-2007, 12:12 PM
The pattern is put out by School House Press and I don't think they sell via PDF but you could always e-mail them and ask.

Jan in CA
09-18-2007, 01:35 PM
I would definitely email them and ask about the cost of mailing it or downloads as well. Meg Swansen (EZ's daughter) has been very helpful.

monkeymommy
10-08-2007, 05:45 AM
I'm at the neck shaping and I'm not 100% sure what I'm suppose to do next. It says to BO the first 5 stitches then continue knitting for 2 rows.
That means I bind off 5 cut yarn
knit with new strand till end
then reapeat once more right?

redwitch
10-08-2007, 07:54 AM
No, do what it says, cast off 5 stitches, knit a row, cast off 5 stitches, knit another row. Voila (it's about to start looking like a real baby jacket!)

suzeeq
10-08-2007, 09:50 AM
When you only BO part of the sts, you don't cut the yarn unless it says so. That's for shaping, you're not finishing a section.

monkeymommy
10-09-2007, 05:05 AM
using the same yarn? but theres a gap between then end and the 6th stitch

zkimom
10-09-2007, 07:22 AM
using the same yarn? but theres a gap between then end and the 6th stitch

No, there's no gap. You are binding off the first 5 stitches, then knitting to the end of the row. Then you turn your work, bind off 5 stitches and knit to the end of that row.

Try it. It works out fine.

BostonBecca
10-09-2007, 02:36 PM
I am knitting this, following the instructions from Knitting Workshop, and I don't want to mess it up.

It says "At 5 ridges INCREASE 9 sts (K3, M1) across end sections, ......"

What are those 5 ridges? Is that referring to 5 decreases, which would be after 9 total rows?

Please help!

Doodknitwit
10-09-2007, 02:39 PM
they have several files that spell out line by line...

it made my knitting much easier :waving:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/knitbabysurprise/?yguid=275389992

BostonBecca
10-09-2007, 02:43 PM
I can't for the life of me get to the page to join that group. I've tried. :( Please help!

Doodknitwit
10-09-2007, 03:04 PM
I can't for the life of me get to the page to join that group. I've tried. :( Please help!

:waving:

BostonBecca
10-09-2007, 03:07 PM
Thanks, when I click the link it just says that the group is closed to members, with no way to join, but I found what I think is the address to email to request to join and sent off an e-mail!

Thank you anyways.

Dangles
10-09-2007, 03:53 PM
Has anyone done one up for a 3 year old and a 14 mth old child? Enlighten me if you have, please.

monkeymommy
10-09-2007, 08:56 PM
Must have spaced out there... forgot you're suppose to knit while binding off... for some reason just remembered the leap frog part.
Maybe I'll get it done before the week is over :knitting:

Tnks everyone:grphug:

zkimom
10-11-2007, 10:24 PM
For those of us on Ravelry there is an Elizabeth Zimmerman forum that answers many questions on the BSJ as well as other patterns.

You can sign up here:

Zimmermaniacs (http://www.ravelry.com/groups/zimmermaniacs)

miss_molly
10-20-2007, 11:49 PM
I'm knitting the BSJ from the Schoolhouse Press pattern leaflet, along with the page of notes from
http://www.3gcs.com/adcock/free%20patterns/BSS%20Notes.htm
- those notes have been invaluable! I'm halfway through and loving this jacket. It's such fun to knit!

What I was wondering, after browsing the Web and seeing a couple of mentions of a shorter length version, is where I can get instructions for the shorter length? Or is there just a certain number row I need to stop at in the original pattern, instead of continuing to the end?

redwitch
11-05-2007, 11:34 PM
There's a point where you put the end stitches on hold and knit flat, that makes it longer. Omitting that will make it shorter, but it's easier I think if you just keep knitting on circs until you decide it is as long as you want it to be, just keep folding it into a jacket shape and go by instinct, it should be clear once you get there.

monkeymommy
11-08-2007, 10:51 PM
Ok I finished it... I really had a bad feeling about it throughout the project, felt the needle/ stitch was to big but what do i know... It's for a boy thats 4 months old. When I finshed it was perfect for my 3 year old... I told myself thats good so the kid could grow into it. Took it to the sink and volia! it is now an adult size very open weave shrug?
What do I tell the mom that's expecting it, think maybe I can felt it down a size? How the heck did it go from a 3 year old to an adult size?

Help? http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2097/1926150467_a6939dc345.jpg?v=1194576630

Jan in CA
11-12-2007, 02:19 PM
I think a smaller needle size would help, MonkeyMommy. What weight yarn did you use? I made two with worsted weight and appropriate needle size (7 or so I think?) and they would probably fit a 3 yr old.

One other thought.. I wouldn't use anything but machine washable/dryable yarn for a baby. A new mom usually doesn't have time to hand wash and the sweater would just sit in a basket waiting for a long time. Maybe you could make her another one..just tell her the truth.

losnana
11-12-2007, 03:22 PM
Can anybody tell me the sizes (children's, not needles) specified in this pattern? I hope my dgds haven't gotten too large while I've been making other thiings.

suzeeq
11-12-2007, 03:28 PM
I think a smaller needle size would help, MonkeyMommy. What weight yarn did you use? I made two with worsted weight and appropriate needle size (7 or so I think?) and they would probably fit a 3 yr old.

Or use thin baby yarn and about a size 3 or 4 needle. That ought to make a baby size, or at least one no larger than 12 months.

wednesday
11-14-2007, 12:36 AM
Or use thin baby yarn and about a size 3 or 4 needle. That ought to make a baby size, or at least one no larger than 12 months.

EEEK now I am scared.... I ordered both the adult and baby version of the pattern and planned on knitting the baby one first. I looked at yarn over the weekend but didn't buy any because I don't have the pattern yet and have no clue as to yarn/size recommendation. Came here to ask and now I see this :thud:

Anybody here can give me an idea about yarn/needle size that will result in a Baby size ??? Does the contrast yarn for stripes have to be the same, same gauge I am sure but I was hoping for different color or texture.
I agree machine washable would be nice, I was hoping for something I can pick up at Michaels or Hobby Lobby. The Yarns available at my Michaels are pretty but the color selection is a little sparse. It is going to a hopefully little Baby Girl in Berlin so something not so much Baby but more sophisticated :wink:

Jan in CA
11-14-2007, 01:42 AM
You can use any yarn you want. Just make sure the gauge/weight is the same when striping for best results.

I just saw on the knitbabysurprise yahoo group that it's written for a 3-6 mos old at 6 st to the inch. The weight/gauge of yarn, needle size and knitters tension all affect the size. I got a size that would fit about a 3 yr old (I think) using worsted weight and about size 7 needles I think. It's been awhile. For a smaller size use smaller needles and finer yarn. Maybe baby yarn or sport weight?

Remember though that bigger is better..they can grow into it, but if it's too small.. :(

monkeymommy
11-14-2007, 10:22 AM
I'm in Japan and my Japanese is downright cruel for the Japanese to hear but from what i figured it's a baby weight yarn... the yarn's name is BABY and it says it's wool (i think 毛) and i definitly used too big of a needle 13's. When I did the gauge I needed 13s to get 5 to an inch ... just counted it ... the finished product is 4 to an inch. Wow what a differance that makes. :aww:
Well, after I finish a pair of socks for my daughter and hubby (don't worry, they're coming out great) I'll make her the kiddo sweater from the yarn I got from Daiso
http://www.straw.com/cpy/patterns/kiddo-1yr.html
... that's the Japanese dollar store except it's like 94 cents (tax included) I bought alot of a specific yarn there to make hubby an aran sweater and realized they sell their yarn to short, i think it would have taken 100 balls to do it, but i should be enough for a baby. we will see :pray:

QSG123
11-18-2007, 02:30 PM
I am glad to read about this. Whoever takes care of the single order WEB site - I am trying to buy this pattern for a few weeks, but never gives me a link to pay for it.
Is there any other place where it might be available?
Gabriella

wednesday
11-27-2007, 10:47 PM
OK I got my pattern and the suggested printout to go along with it.

Now the yarn has me puzzled.... I have 2 LYS in my area but I don't think it's going to be wise to take out second mortgage to make a baby jacket not for the first try anyway. I would like to end up with a true Baby jacket somewhere in the 6-9 month range would be perfect. I can easily get most Patons & Bernat yarns ( at least that's what I am telling myself ). I love the look of the SWS yarn but I think it will end up too big.....any suggestions ?

Jan in CA
12-08-2007, 12:07 PM
I am glad to read about this. Whoever takes care of the single order WEB site - I am trying to buy this pattern for a few weeks, but never gives me a link to pay for it.
Is there any other place where it might be available?
Gabriella

Here you go.
http://www.schoolhousepress.com/spunout.htm

Jan in CA
12-08-2007, 12:10 PM
I wouldn't use SWS for two reasons. One it's not washable and baby clothing needs washing a lot and two I feel it's more of a heavy worsted so it would be quite large.

I made mine out of worsted and they would probably fit a 3 yr old or larger. It's okay to have it a little large because kids grow so fast so I would think a baby yarn/sport weight would be what you need.

OK I got my pattern and the suggested printout to go along with it.

Now the yarn has me puzzled.... I have 2 LYS in my area but I don't think it's going to be wise to take out second mortgage to make a baby jacket not for the first try anyway. I would like to end up with a true Baby jacket somewhere in the 6-9 month range would be perfect. I can easily get most Patons & Bernat yarns ( at least that's what I am telling myself ). I love the look of the SWS yarn but I think it will end up too big.....any suggestions ?

WshUpnASta
01-17-2008, 09:29 PM
Wish me luck! I am just finishing a pair of mittens and my next project is going to be a BSJ. I have all the info here at home, but I think I am going to need all the encouragement that I can get.

I'm really leary of trying this pattern. Because I have heard that once you finish one, the next one is a lot easier. I just want the first one to be good too. LOL

mcginnhold
01-18-2008, 01:51 PM
cloud9 I've been looking for a knit-along with the EZ's Baby Surprise Jacket (my neice just had a baby not to long ago... well at least she isn't 1 yet , giggle ) hoping to buy my pattern this weekend. Would that be to late? OTN , trying to finish up a Vogue pattern from the Vintage Knits book. Cropped pullover . Have pulled out the neck twice :aww: but it's the process right? LOL. Don't-cha just love this forum? I do! I'll be knitting as fast as I can. In hopes of not being tangled up:knitting:
Elise

Jan in CA
01-18-2008, 02:31 PM
cloud9 I've been looking for a knit-along with the EZ's Baby Surprise Jacket (my neice just had a baby not to long ago... well at least she isn't 1 yet , giggle ) hoping to buy my pattern this weekend. Would that be to late?
Elise

This is an ongoing KAL so it doesn't matter. You need to buy the pattern, but it's written in such a way that's it's not too easy to follow. These sites can help, too.
http://www.3gcs.com/adcock/free%20patterns/BSS%20Notes.htm
http://www.knitting-and.com/wiki/Baby_Surprise_Jacket

mcginnhold
01-19-2008, 05:41 AM
Jan :hug: ,

Thank you so much for your kind reply. I shall go to the sites you've suggested. Yes, it did seem to me to be a bit complicated. It is nice to be able to have found a flock were I can find help and friendship. Most sincerely , Thanks.
:heart: , p.s. just ordered pattern @ schoolhousepress, got my brave on!
Elise

Jan in CA
01-21-2008, 05:01 PM
Jan :hug: ,

Thank you so much for your kind reply. I shall go to the sites you've suggested. Yes, it did seem to me to be a bit complicated. It is nice to be able to have found a flock were I can find help and friendship. Most sincerely , Thanks.
:heart: , p.s. just ordered pattern @ schoolhousepress, got my brave on!
Elise

:thumbsup: And you're welcome!

WshUpnASta
01-21-2008, 09:20 PM
checking in on BSJ, I just wanted to let you know that I am on Row 22. I'm not sure how much longer I am going to work on it tonight, but that's where I am right now.

Jan in CA
01-22-2008, 12:20 PM
checking in on BSJ, I just wanted to let you know that I am on Row 22. I'm not sure how much longer I am going to work on it tonight, but that's where I am right now.

:yay:

WshUpnASta
01-23-2008, 08:55 AM
I didn't get chance to work on it last night, but I am hoping to start back on it tonight.

WshUpnASta
01-24-2008, 06:43 AM
Well I just picked up my needles this morning! I am now on Row 27 and plan to knit for a bit. I don't have to be to work until 9am so I can knit for 2 hrs or so.

WshUpnASta
01-25-2008, 05:07 PM
I'm on row 53, here's what it looks like now.

The Brown color yarn is actually burgundy. I'm not sure why it scanned brown. Its claret , Red Heart super saver.

WshUpnASta
01-29-2008, 07:39 AM
The sweater is all bound off, now I need to find buttons for it and sew the seams.

Jan in CA
01-29-2008, 02:23 PM
That is going to be so pretty! :yay: I can't wait to see it!

Dangles
02-03-2008, 01:55 AM
Chants to self * I must do this one I must do this one *
One day people, I won't be chicken to do so :oops:

WshUpnASta
02-04-2008, 09:04 AM
If you follow the directions, its really actually kind of fun. I have just finished sewing up the seams and now I need to go button shopping for 5 buttons.

Minou
05-14-2008, 01:49 AM
I have what may be a simple question here, but when it says pick up 10 after knitting the middle 90 stitches, am I picking them up from the side of the rows I just knitted in the middle? I'm using the row by row instructions in addition to Knitting Workshop, but it's still a little unclear.

Don't ask me why, but the Hemlock Ring was way easier than this jacket! At least EZ's writing makes me giggle while I'm muddling through.

I shall PRESS ON!

rissa
05-23-2008, 11:24 AM
I have what may be a simple question here, but when it says pick up 10 after knitting the middle 90 stitches, am I picking them up from the side of the rows I just knitted in the middle? I'm using the row by row instructions in addition to Knitting Workshop, but it's still a little unclear.

Don't ask me why, but the Hemlock Ring was way easier than this jacket! At least EZ's writing makes me giggle while I'm muddling through.

I shall PRESS ON!

Don't worry about your question, its a good one! EZ empowers knitters in many ways to be fearless, but there are times when ya just need to ask a question, hehe! Yes, you are picking up the stitches on the edge of the rows you had just completed. There should be 10 ridges, and thats where you pick up your stitches.

I actually have a question. I asked this on Ravelry and someone replied like it was a stupid question. I don't think it is, just would like others opnions, this being my first bsj. KH is so much more friendly. :muah:

My question is in relation placing the buttonholes. How many stitches down from the top did you place your first buttonhole? I don't want mine to be too close to the top, or too far down, and the pattern just says to space them evenly. What did you do?

Jan in CA
05-25-2008, 10:45 PM
I just looked at mine and it's about 1 in down before doing the i-cord bind off. That was my first one and I just followed the pattern. :thumbsup:

Jan in CA
05-30-2008, 03:11 PM
I think it's time to make another one! Wooo! Need an itty bitty one this time though. ;)

1to1
07-10-2008, 12:49 PM
I started on BSJ with Lorna's Laces fingering weight (leftover sock yarn). I'm using the spreadsheet and am glad to have found it. Is anyone else working on one right now?

I'm going to go back and read through all the posts.

Jan in CA
07-10-2008, 06:59 PM
I was planning on it, but need to do another baby sweater pattern first for another child. Maybe the next baby which is due in December!

Jan in CA
08-27-2008, 07:22 PM
Okay, I've decided to do the BSJ instead of the other sweater. I've already got about an inch, but I decided to frog and do the CO invisibly with the extra stitches for the sleeve increase already done. Easier to pick up that way. Soooo....here we go ... pix later when I get more done.

Jan in CA
09-01-2008, 12:34 AM
Half way done! I'm doing it w/o the sleeve increases and I'm making it a short one for a newborn. Comfort DK is sooo soft!

Shandeh
09-01-2008, 01:33 AM
Go Jan! :woohoo:

Jan in CA
09-15-2008, 01:29 AM
Down to the last 8 rows or so then the sleeve extension and collar.

Jan in CA
09-19-2008, 06:24 PM
Ugh. Well, that sweater is history. It was going to be too small and I was very unhappy with the way the collar was seamed. SO.....

I've started a new one with the same yarn in worsted weight so it'll be larger. I'm planning on just following the pattern this time and not messing with it too much till the end. At that point I have some plans which I'll share if it works out. :teehee: I may make the shorter jacket length because it's for a baby, but we'll see when I get that far. I've got about 4 inches so far.

Shandeh
09-19-2008, 11:10 PM
Sorry the sweater didn't work out! :heart:
Good luck on this one! :hug: