PDA

View Full Version : EZ's Baby Surprise Jacket

Pages : [1] 2

zip
01-11-2007, 04:35 PM
I did a search of the forums and don't see Elizabeth Zimmerman's Baby Surprise Jacket as a knit-along. I'm considering beginning one as early as this weekend.

For those who don't know, the pattern is available in her book entitled The Opinionated Knitter (http://www.amazon.com/Opinionated-Knitter-Elizabeth-Zimmermann/dp/0942018265/ref=pd_sim_b_5/103-0666472-5104632) or singly from here (http://www.loopyarn.com/detail.aspx?ID=555). It's probably available elsewhere if you'd like to seek further. It's knit on circular needles* as one piece, then stitched in two places. That's about all I know concerning its structure.

Hopefully, it isn't too ambitious for me. Would anyone like to join me?

*edited to state "on circular needles" rather than "in the round." sorry 'bout that.

Jan in CA
01-11-2007, 06:32 PM
I've been looking at this jacket, too. I was thinking of ordering the adult and child version. Maybe someday I'll have grandkids to knit for. :teehee: If I get the pattern I will join you.

Adult and child surprise jackets (http://www.schoolhousepress.com/spunout.htm)

zip
01-12-2007, 01:39 AM
Jan, that'd be great! :)

:gone to peruse the pattern:

suzeeq
01-12-2007, 01:58 AM
There's a yahoo group for it and a website with some tips and pictures of it in progress - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/knitbabysurprise/ and http://babysurprise0.tripod.com/ and another forum at about.com - http://forums.about.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?msg=3771.1&nav=messages&webtag=ab-knitting

sue

zip
01-12-2007, 12:53 PM
Thanks, Sue! Perhaps I oughta ask to join the yahoo group. Last night, I read the pattern. It seems very simple, and I wonder if it's deceptively so.

Also, your links show at least some people using acrylic blend yarns. :?
I'd like to use a variegated because I'm intimidated by the thought of using more than one individual color, as the pattern doesn't include instructions for that. I'm not confident enough to figure it out for myself.

hmmmmm...

suzeeq
01-12-2007, 03:09 PM
The tips on the tripod website show it as a day by day KAL, have pictures and explain it step by step. If you want to make it in one color or a variegated yarn, just ignore where it says to `K x rows with color A/B/C' and just do that many rows with your yarn.

sue

Jan in CA
01-12-2007, 07:30 PM
I just ordered both patterns!!

zip
01-12-2007, 09:58 PM
Yay, Jan! :cheering: I'm seriously looking forward to your thoughts and to knitting with you. :)

I joined the yahoo group today, so thanks again, Sue. I found it a few weeks ago, but I'm not a joiner by nature... What? What are you laughing at? ;) Because Sue mentioned them, I went for it.

The pattern in my book doesn't indicate at what rows to change colors. The tutorial at the yahoo group has them noted, along with row by row instructions. I think I'll make one according to those notes with a blend, and then a larger size afterward with wool if I'm comfortable with making the first one. If I hurry up, I can have the regular size done in NE Patriot colors before the Super Bowl. even if I am the only one in the family cheering for the Chargers.

Shandeh
01-13-2007, 09:47 PM
Go Zip! :happydance:

zip
01-14-2007, 05:26 PM
Go Zip! :happydance:

Get the pattern and make it for the grandbaby! You could way outdo my work.

Shandeh
01-15-2007, 12:21 PM
Listen to ya! Not true! You have been knitting much longer than me!

I'm already working on a dress for Marvin's little grandbaby, so I'd better stick with that. I'm a VERY SLOW knitter.

Plus, I'm making socks for the Sockintine's Swap, and two other projects.

Thanks for asking though! :muah:

zip
01-15-2007, 06:34 PM
Listen to ya! Not true! You have been knitting much longer than me!

I'm already working on a dress for Marvin's little grandbaby, so I'd better stick with that. I'm a VERY SLOW knitter.

Plus, I'm making socks for the Sockintine's Swap, and two other projects.

Thanks for asking though! :muah:

I'm tellin' Mom. :pout:

Jan in CA
01-15-2007, 11:19 PM

Still not mailed!!! I don't care if it's a holiday! :teehee:

zip
01-15-2007, 11:29 PM

Still not mailed!!! I don't care if it's a holiday! :teehee:

That is unacceptable! I think you should complain. :lol:

I perused wool blends at lunchtime today. meh. Nothing grabbed me, so I'll just have to go shopping again. How tragic.

Jan in CA
01-18-2007, 03:44 AM
My patterns are on the way!!

Virtuella
01-18-2007, 04:02 AM
Oh, I love the pattern!
But.. why is it called a baby surprise? Could anybody please tell me?

Jan in CA
01-18-2007, 02:17 PM
Oh, I love the pattern!

That I'm not quite sure, but I think it's because it is created very differently than any other pattern. Maybe it was a surprise that it came out the way it did! :teehee:

Virtuella
01-18-2007, 02:23 PM
Oh, I love the pattern!

That I'm not quite sure, but I think it's because it is created very differently than any other pattern. Maybe it was a surprise that it came out the way it did! :teehee:

Thanks!!
I would love to try that pattern!
Some day!
:-)

suzeeq
01-18-2007, 02:54 PM
It's called surprise jacket/sweater because you're surprised that what you're knitting turns into a sweater.

sue

zip
01-19-2007, 12:49 AM
It's called surprise jacket/sweater because you're surprised that what you're knitting turns into a sweater.

sue

yup. EZ herself said that it looks like a bathmat until the final put-together.

zip
01-19-2007, 12:51 AM
My patterns are on the way!!

:woohoo:

Shandeh
01-19-2007, 07:25 AM
I saw a free pattern online that I think looks similar. Am I right?
http://megan.kiwi.gen.nz/BabyJacket/

suzeeq
01-19-2007, 11:49 AM
It's similar, but not made quite the same. The BS sweater doesn't have gradual shaping at the underarms. There's a good picture of it at the KAL website (http://babysurprise0.tripod.com/). This
page (http://babysurprise0.tripod.com/id11.html) shows how it comes together.

sue

Jan in CA
01-20-2007, 12:45 AM
I got my patterns today! :woohoo: I have so much stash yarn around here I think I'll just give it a try with that to work things out an then if I like it make another in better yarn. :teehee: OH and I'm going to finish the rest of my sock (almost done) then I'll start.

You ready, Zip? Anyone else?

Shandeh
01-20-2007, 01:17 AM
Jan, am I right in remembering that your husband is a firefighter? I'm asking because Zip talked about a big fire in her KH blog. I was wondering if your hubby was there.

zip
01-20-2007, 02:49 AM
I got my patterns today! :woohoo: I have so much stash yarn around here I think I'll just give it a try with that to work things out an then if I like it make another in better yarn. :teehee: OH and I'm going to finish the rest of my sock (almost done) then I'll start.

You ready, Zip? Anyone else?

I must buy yarn! Unless I use some acrylic baby yarn that I have stowed in the cedar chest. Do you think it would work for a first effort? I'm such a novice, despite my long exposure to the craft.

It just hit me that you're in the same part of the country that I am. I have to wonder how close we are.

Jan in CA
01-20-2007, 03:16 AM
I must buy yarn! Unless I use some acrylic baby yarn that I have stowed in the cedar chest. Do you think it would work for a first effort? I'm such a novice, despite my long exposure to the craft.

It just hit me that you're in the same part of the country that I am. I have to wonder how close we are.

The only thing that would happen if you use the baby yarn is it would be a lot smaller. Unless you are knitting for someone specific then it probably doesn't matter. I just donate things I practice with. In fact I donate almost everything I make. :teehee:

I'm in south Orange County.. Laguna Hills. Where are you?

Sandy, my DH is retired, but yes, he was a firefighter in Newport Beach for almost 30yrs. ;)

zip
01-20-2007, 12:49 PM
The only thing that would happen if you use the baby yarn is it would be a lot smaller. Unless you are knitting for someone specific then it probably doesn't matter. I just donate things I practice with. In fact I donate almost everything I make. :teehee:

I'm in south Orange County.. Laguna Hills. Where are you?

Sandy, my DH is retired, but yes, he was a firefighter in Newport Beach for almost 30yrs. ;)

Smaller woudn't be good. The grandbaby is almost four months old already. I have some red, white and navy yarn, which is perfect, as both his parents are Patriot fans. It'll just be a first effort, for him to wear during the off-season. :teehee:

I'm in north San Diego county, less than a hundred miles from you. We must set up an in person knit-along! After tax season. Maybe when J plans a trip to see the Angels this summer. Baseball bores me, so a ticket for me is purely for people watching.

suzeeq
01-20-2007, 02:01 PM
Depends on what weight the baby yarn is. If it's fingering/sock weight, you'd have to make it larger. If it's close to a worsted weight, you could use needles a size or two larger and it should come out okay. If it's too big, the kid will grow. Fast.

sue

Jan in CA
01-20-2007, 06:39 PM
I looked at the pattern and while it doesn't seem hard it is a little bit confusing. I can't figure out how to join the yahoo group. :?? I don't see a join link anywhere.

Shandeh
01-21-2007, 09:12 AM
Jan, do you have a yahoo ID? You have to do that first to join yahoo (https://edit.yahoo.com/config/eval_register?.intl=us&new=1&.done=http%3A//my.yahoo.com&.src=my&.v=0&.u=8ma2o012r6ps3&partner=&.partner=&pkg=&stepid=&.p=&promo=&.last=) groups.

zip
01-21-2007, 10:05 AM
I looked at the pattern and while it doesn't seem hard it is a little bit confusing. I can't figure out how to join the yahoo group. :?? I don't see a join link anywhere.

The confusing part is why I joined the yahoo group as well.

Is there no Join Now! box? There's a message on their yahoo home page that reads:

MEMBERSHIP IS NOW CLOSED. YOU CAN ONLY JOIN BY INVITATION.
IF YOU WANT TO GET ON THE WAITING LIST,
WRITE TO knitbabysurprise-owner@yahoogroups.com

...which means that I barely made it in before they closed it. Or that they closed it because some foo' let me join. :shifty:

Jan in CA
01-21-2007, 01:36 PM
WRITE TO knitbabysurprise-owner@yahoogroups.com

...which means that I barely made it in before they closed it. Or that they closed it because some foo' let me join. :shifty:

Ohhhh that explains it. I will email her, thanks!
And.... :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

ETA: I fixed my email address and she said she'd send me an invite so I'm in!

ETAA: I got the invite and am IN! I also finished the socks I was working on so now I will start the jacket. Anyone else doing it?

Jan in CA
01-22-2007, 03:13 AM
I've CO and started my BSJ. I'm using orphan balls of wool.. WOTA, Patons Classic Merino and whatever else I have around. It'll be a bright warm jacket!

Anyhoo..I'm on row 9 or 10 and ready for the first color change!

zip
01-22-2007, 11:37 AM
I've CO and started my BSJ. I'm using orphan balls of wool.. WOTA, Patons Classic Merino and whatever else I have around. It'll be a bright warm jacket!

Anyhoo..I'm on row 9 or 10 and ready for the first color change!

:cheering: You rock.

The yarn that I'd planned to use is worsted weight. I'll pick up a lighter weight or wool today and a pair of size 5 circulars. Both my size 6s are on baby afghans, one of which I'd forgotten about until last week. :oops: It was hiding.

Tonight, I cast on! And not another project until something somewhere comes off its needles.

Jan in CA
01-22-2007, 08:05 PM
15 rows down! So far I've had no problems. I think it's cool how you can see the points for something forming. I have no idea what at this point. I'm trying to keep track of colors and stuff so I can see where they end up in the pattern later.

So far the colors... the reddish is actually a beautiful WOTA cranberry color. The multi is Patons Classic Wool in harvest. I'm felting the joins so there will little weaving in later.

zip
01-23-2007, 12:28 AM
15 rows down! So far I've had no problems. I think it's cool how you can see the points for something forming. I have no idea what at this point. I'm trying to keep track of colors and stuff so I can see where they end up in the pattern later.

So far the colors... the reddish is actually a beautiful WOTA cranberry color. The multi is Patons Classic Wool in harvest. I'm felting the joins so there will little weaving in later.

yo. :heart: All the babies are going to be fighting over your jacket.

I'm going to cast on now.

Jan in CA
01-23-2007, 02:26 AM
Yeah Ginger! :cheering:

I'm up to row 23 or 24 now and have added some cream and a fern green.

suzeeq
01-23-2007, 02:35 AM
I think the points are the lower front corners, though I'm not sure. Like the colors so far.

sue

zip
01-23-2007, 10:31 AM
Yeah Ginger! :cheering:

I'm up to row 23 or 24 now and have added some cream and a fern green.

You'll be finished by this weekend! :notworthy:

I knitted four rows last night while J watched 24. That show bores me so. I awoke at 4:30 this morning and knitted four more while I watched the news with The Mo snuggled against me.

I predict that the entire jacket will be fun and satisfying to work on and that I'll want to make another right away. That's actually a good thing as I'm using up some acrylic for this one.

Jan in CA
01-23-2007, 01:33 PM
I think what is fun with this sweater is seeing how it will turn out. I also think it should be called "Origami Sweater", but whatever. :teehee:

I think this is a better representation of the colors, but.. :??

Shandeh
01-23-2007, 03:19 PM
Pretty colors! :heart:

Jeep_Girl
01-23-2007, 03:31 PM
Jan - I love it! I bet it will look amazing!

zip
01-23-2007, 03:47 PM
I think what is fun with this sweater is seeing how it will turn out. I also think it should be called "Origami Sweater", but whatever. :teehee:

why the :??

It shall be the envy of babies and their respective mothers everywhere! :inlove:
You have an eye for color. Can you make it larger? Babies get all the good stuff. I want it for me! :teehee:

Jan in CA
01-23-2007, 04:28 PM

why the :??

It shall be the envy of babies and their respective mothers everywhere! :inlove:
You have an eye for color. Can you make it larger? Babies get all the good stuff. I want it for me! :teehee:

The :?? was because I'm having trouble getting a decent photo. But you get the idea of the colors even if it's not perfect. :teehee:

And thanks! I "try" to choose complementary colors (http://www.rentaldecorating.com/images/Articlepic/rddcolorwheel.jpg) like that color wheel shows. And YES they have an adult Surprise Jacket, too! I bought both patterns! :cheering:

Adult Baby Surprise Jacket (http://www.schoolhousepress.com/spunout.htm)

zip
01-23-2007, 05:37 PM
The :?? was because I'm having trouble getting a decent photo. But you get the idea of the colors even if it's not perfect. :teehee:

And thanks! I "try" to choose complementary colors (http://www.rentaldecorating.com/images/Articlepic/rddcolorwheel.jpg) like that color wheel shows. And YES they have an adult Surprise Jacket, too! I bought both patterns! :cheering:

Adult Baby Surprise Jacket (http://www.schoolhousepress.com/spunout.htm)

look perfect to me. ;) I don't even see cat hair on it. Everything I knit carries Mo hair. :rimshot:

The adult pattern is in one of my EZ books. If Z's kids will quit having babies, I shall make one. btw, origami comes to mind for me as well - I think I've seen it called that somewhere.

Jan in CA
01-23-2007, 09:11 PM
Oh neat! I like some of her patterns, but they aren't always easy to read. :doh:

I'm on row 41!

Mama Bear
01-23-2007, 11:36 PM
Not exactly the surprise jacket, but close...

I started EZ's Tomten jacket this weekend while waiting on my yarn and needles for the Eris.

I wish I had taken pictures while it was still in funny strips (before I added the hood and one sleeve). It is a funny thing to work on, but fun.

Mama Bear

Jan in CA
01-23-2007, 11:44 PM
That's a cute jacket, too!

ETA: I just discovered something, Ginger. When you are in the Yahoo forum type in a row you might be having problems with and it comes up with the day that they were doing that section, plus they have comments and questions by members. Might help if we get to a certain point and get confused.

zip
01-24-2007, 10:30 AM
That's a cute jacket, too!

ETA: I just discovered something, Ginger. When you are in the Yahoo forum type in a row you might be having problems with and it comes up with the day that they were doing that section, plus they have comments and questions by members. Might help if we get to a certain point and get confused.

That's very helpful, thanks Jan. I didn't want to step through each single message, if necessary.

Are you using markers? I don't think I saw any in your photos. I'm on row 13.

___

MamaBear, the Tomten is very nice. I'd love to see it.

Jan in CA
01-24-2007, 02:33 PM
I'm halfway through... Um..row 50 maybe? :??

I started out using markers for those decreases. Then as I got further along I found that I could pretty much look at the stitches and see where to decrease. I DID count to make sure though. The stitch markers never seemed to be in the right place though.

At the point I am at now which is increasing I DO have markers. I doubt you can do this w/o them, but we'll see.

Photo later..

zip
01-25-2007, 01:02 AM
I'm halfway through... Um..row 50 maybe? :??

I started out using markers for those decreases. Then as I got further along I found that I could pretty much look at the stitches and see where to decrease. I DID count to make sure though. The stitch markers never seemed to be in the right place though.

At the point I am at now which is increasing I DO have markers. I doubt you can do this w/o them, but we'll see.

Photo later..

Jan, you'll be finished before the weekend! :cheering:

stoopit old work interfering with my knitting anyway. So, last night, I attached color B on row 10 instead of 11 because I'm very literal with instructions. :oops: Just now, I was about to begin row 13, but color A is on the other needle. So I'm planning to continue with B for one more row, and continue with two rows for each color until I hit row 26 and can revert to the pattern as it's written. What do you (or anyone else who's made this jacket) think?

:doh:

Jan in CA
01-25-2007, 01:14 AM
:?? What do you mean it's on the other needle? I'm felting joins because it's wool, but with other yarns I just start knitting and the new color is always where it should be.. :thinking:

I don't work outside the home... so I guess you'd say I'm retired from "mothering" and "part time working" so I have lots of time. :teehee:

I probably will be done by this weekend or the end anyway. I'm almost to the neck shaping now. I wish I knew how the colors were arranged on the pattern before it's folded up. I'm doing the lions share in the multi yarn and I'm going to do the same thing on the other side as I did at the beginning. We'll see how that works out. I'm keeping pretty good track of which rows the color is one, etc. That way I can do the same thing again if I want to.

We are going to the SD Zoo on Friday! http://www.smilieland.com/graphics/lion.gif http://www.smilieland.com/graphics/penguin.gif http://www.smilieland.com/graphics/monkey.gif http://www.smilieland.com/graphics/kiwibird.gif

zip
01-25-2007, 01:36 AM
What it means is that I have three rows in color B instead of two, so I can't pick up the other color because I didn't break it off - it's attached at the other end of the circular needle. I'm using acrylic, so I'm not felting. I'll weave beneath an Icord or something when it's complete. After I posted my question, I realized that the join of color B will be visible on the front, so I'm starting over with row 10.

:shifty: Way too much info, huh?

:doh:

I've never been to the SD Zoo! Only the Wild Animal Park, which is close to our home. Why don't you spend the weekend there? so that I can catch up with you on the jacket. :twisted:

Jan in CA
01-25-2007, 01:41 AM
:teehee: I think it'll just be the day this time. If you like zoos you should check this one out..it's really neat!

I think I see what you mean now about the yarn being at the other end. I always start a new color on the "right side" of the work or in this case the side that you are just doing a plain knit row. That way there are less color bumps...know what I mean?

BTW.. there is nothing wrong with acrylic. I use it a lot especially for charity and for testing patterns. ;)

zip
01-25-2007, 01:48 AM
Row 10 is a knit row, but the entire jacket's in garter stitch, so... meh. If I wasn't reknitting this, I'd just be knitting something else, you know?

A year and a half ago, friends were visiting from NJ. The wife fell on the people mover and broke her femur. The two of them were stuck here with us for six weeks. I enjoyed having them here, but ouch. Poor kid. Perhaps that's why I've not felt inclined to go to the zoo.

Jan in CA
01-25-2007, 01:29 PM
Yikes! Fortunately I think that is an isolated incident! :shock:

I wondered when I started this whether it would make any difference where the color change was. I think it depends on what you want for your pattern and how anal you are about things like that. :teehee: It does show differently on one side vs the other, but it may not bother you at all. It doesn't matter if the yarn is multi. ALSO... I think as long as you're consistent it would look fine either way.

zip
01-25-2007, 05:55 PM
Yikes! Fortunately I think that is an isolated incident! :shock:

I wondered when I started this whether it would make any difference where the color change was. I think it depends on what you want for your pattern and how anal you are about things like that. :teehee: It does show differently on one side vs the other, but it may not bother you at all. It doesn't matter if the yarn is multi. ALSO... I think as long as you're consistent it would look fine either way.

I am in deeply covetous love with your colors. :inlove: What a gorgeous bathmat! ;)

I'm on row 10. < - - I want that as my epitaph.

Had to go back to it because this pattern is like a mystery. Even the instructions read, "looks kinda funny, doesn't it?"

Honestly? I can't tell whether the beginning cast on is the side or the bottom. I wanna buy a vowel or something, and I hate those people who buy vowels. But I'm enjoying working on it and shan't put it down.

Jan in CA
01-25-2007, 06:29 PM
I am in deeply covetous love with your colors. :inlove: What a gorgeous bathmat! ;)

It would wouldn't it! I think I mentioned what they were in a previous reply, but if you need them again let me know.

I'm on row 10. < - - I want that as my epitaph.

:teehee:

Had to go back to it because this pattern is like a mystery. Even the instructions read, "looks kinda funny, doesn't it?"

Honestly? I can't tell whether the beginning cast on is the side or the bottom. I wanna buy a vowel or something, and I hate those people who buy vowels. But I'm enjoying working on it and shan't put it down.

I'm not positive either, but the point I'm at now is just about the neck shaping so... :?? I can't wait to see how this thing ends up!

If you are having any problems and I can help let me know. So far so good here.

Mama Bear
01-25-2007, 07:35 PM
That looks fun!

The tomten was more straightforward. I finished it Tuesday. One mistake I made was weaving in the yarn on the front edge where I made some color changes before picking up the stitches along the front edge. The front edge isn't quiet as neat as it would have been had I not had the ends woven in yet.

Can't wait to see how the surprise jackets turn out.

Mama Bear

zip
01-25-2007, 11:13 PM
Mama Bear, please share a photo of your tomten! I'm interested in all of Elizabeth's patterns. That one is in a book that I have as well. I'd love to see what you did with it.

zip
01-25-2007, 11:18 PM
...I'm not positive either, but the point I'm at now is just about the neck shaping so... :?? I can't wait to see how this thing ends up!

If you are having any problems and I can help let me know. So far so good here.

I can't wait, too! Tax season has already begun, so my days are becoming more wearing; I think this is a good project for this time of year. I sincerely thank you for your offer. Don't be surprised if I take you up on it. I'm still a noob in many ways.

I hope your day at the zoo tomorrow is sunny and full of animal antics. :hug:

Jan in CA
01-25-2007, 11:20 PM
Thanks! Sorry about tax season! :grrr: We do our own online.. :shifty: :teehee:

zip
01-25-2007, 11:34 PM
Thanks! Sorry about tax season! :grrr: We do our own online.. :shifty: :teehee:

It's a living. Somebody's gotta do it. It keeps me outta the pool halls. And more senseless platitudes. I primarily prepare business returns, which I prefer anyway. I frequently do this :noway: when an individual return gets routed to me. Although, none can compare to knitting or going to the zoo. If you plan to knit at the zoo, I'm really gonna be jealous.

zip
01-26-2007, 04:33 AM
I'm on row 21. :woohoo: Two cups of after dinner coffee and Murphy's Romance on Flix translates to ten rows. Photo this weekend. I can't wait until Jan sees my table.

Shandeh
01-26-2007, 07:13 AM
I like your epitaph. I'm gonna write it down in case you die before me. :teehee: I'll have it engraved on your tombstone. :rofl:

I think I would want mine to say, "Will someone PLEASE finish knitting my last project? I'll be watching."

Jan in CA
01-26-2007, 11:41 AM
I'm on row 21. :woohoo: Two cups of after dinner coffee and Murphy's Romance on Flix translates to ten rows. Photo this weekend. I can't wait until Jan sees my table.

Your table? :?? I can't wait to see it! :woohoo: :??

It's 7:40am and I'm waiting for DH to come back and pick me up so we can go. It's waaaaayyyy to early for me. :zombie: Nnnneeeedddd coffee!

I'm on row uhh... 80 something... :?? At least I've reached several rows past the point of putting stitches on holders.

zip
01-26-2007, 01:34 PM
Your table? :?? I can't wait to see it! :woohoo: :??

It's 7:40am and I'm waiting for DH to come back and pick me up so we can go. It's waaaaayyyy to early for me. :zombie: Nnnneeeedddd coffee!

I'm on row uhh... 80 something... :?? At least I've reached several rows past the point of putting stitches on holders.

It's a gorgeous sunny day. I hope your zoo trip is grand!

Rereading part of my 7:34 post of last night caused me to say :eh?: Working on tax deadlines for 7 clients in one day fries my brain. sorry. :oops:

I think I would want mine to say, "Will someone PLEASE finish knitting my last project? I'll be watching."

I'll wrap it around a squeak toy and give it to The Mo. Don't watch.

Jan in CA
01-26-2007, 11:02 PM
We had a great time, but no knitting so far today. I'm exhausted!

zip
01-27-2007, 08:01 PM
I'm on row 44! Two knit rows are next, then the increasing begins.

The Mo asked from my favorite knitting spot, "momma, isn't it nap time yet?"

Jeep_Girl
01-27-2007, 08:29 PM
Look at how cute that puppy is!!!!! :hug:

zip
01-27-2007, 10:25 PM
Look at how cute that puppy is!!!!! :hug:

He says thank you! :heart: but he's about 10 :oops:

My colors are red, white and blue, but don't appear so above.

Jan in CA
01-28-2007, 12:13 AM
That's beautiful, Ginger! I love how it's coming out! :cheering: :cheering:

I was up to row 95 and had to frog back 9 rows because I miscounted where the final color change was go to. :wall: Anyway, I'm back to row 96 I think. There are 114 rows so I'm in the home stretch. I'm anxious to see how this is put together and how the stripes work out in relation to the corners and edges of the jacket.

Cute doggie!!! What breed is he?

Shandeh
01-28-2007, 12:33 AM
Pretty knitting! :hug:

zip
01-28-2007, 11:38 AM
Jan, you're nearly finished! :cheering: Thank you so much for joining me in this pattern. I hope you share photos of it both pre-seamed and completed. It's supposed to be amazing, as you know.

I was just browsing your blog and saw your Baby Ugg boots. I must make a pair! Baby Seth lives in Denver and needs them.

The Mo is a JRT, same as sara_jayne's. His is an active breed that doesn't do well with small children, and I was lucky enough to receive him from a young family with two said small children. He's a huge football fan and still bounces off the walls at ten years old, especially when football is on the tube. I'll have to blog about him in that other thread so as not to bore you to tears right here. :teehee:

Jan in CA
01-28-2007, 12:04 PM
I'm on row 104 now! This thing is looking weirder and weirder and it makes me wonder if I'm doing it right! :?? Stitch number is still correct and I'm going to keep going anyway.

On another note the stripe pattern isn't going to work out as planned, but it's all a learning experience. I picked up stitches after the stripe section (wt-gr-wt) so it didn't continue on to the fronts. I think. :?? I'm keeping track of what I'm doing so I don't make the same mistake twice. At least that's the plan. :teehee:

Oh and you're welcome. I'm glad you suggested it. I had actually seen the pattern and thought it would be cool to try so it worked out well. I just wish I had an actual child to knit for. I love doing charity stuff, but it must be fun to actually see a child wearing your hard work.

I seem to be using a lot of these :?? for this pattern..they are so perfect for it! :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

zip
01-28-2007, 12:34 PM
It's wool, so you could put it away for a possible future grandchild. Or you could stand outside Goodwill and measure it against every baby who enters until you find the perfect fit. Take your camera... and your cell phone so you can call your husband to bail you out. :teehee:

I agree with you that it's a learning experience. I'm wondering what the acrylic will do when I wash it. Meaning - will it pill and be ugly, will it soften up and be a pleasure to wear, will the colors bleed into one another? Guess I'll find out soon enough and it is just an experiment anyway.

Edit: I forgot to say that I shall also knit the patriotic baby hat (http://gailbable.tripod.com/id18.html) from the website of the Yahoo group's moderator. I'd already made matching booties last fall. Poor baby. :rofl:

Jeep_Girl
01-28-2007, 04:42 PM
I know someone who will have a baby soon..... :whistle: :teehee:

Jan in CA
01-28-2007, 05:50 PM
Lisa! :roflhard: I don't think you'd want this sweater. It's 100% hand wash only wool. Do you know if you're having a boy or girl or are you waiting anyway? I wish I could have found out when I was preggers.

Jan in CA
01-28-2007, 09:02 PM
OMG! I finished it!! :cheering: It is the cutest thing ever!!! I'll try and take some before folding and after folding pictures tonite! I just had to tell you though! :woot: :blooby: :woot:

zip
01-28-2007, 10:06 PM

Try not. Do or do not. There is no try. Photos, woman! :cheering:

Jan in CA
01-29-2007, 01:40 AM

Try not. Do or do not. There is no try. Photos, woman! :cheering:

Bad, bad lighting... I promise to do so tomorrow morning in the light of day!

Jeep_Girl
01-29-2007, 12:15 PM
Lisa! :roflhard: I don't think you'd want this sweater. It's 100% hand wash only wool. Do you know if you're having a boy or girl or are you waiting anyway? I wish I could have found out when I was preggers.

I don't know if it will be a boy or a girl.... I'm trying not to find out but we have our big ultrasound in a couple weeks and I don't know if I'll be able to not find out.

I can't wait to see pictures of the sweater! I bet it is beautiful!

Jan in CA
01-29-2007, 02:28 PM
Okay here you go! There is an issue involving colors which I'll explain at the end.

Here it is before folding. The piece that says "front edge" folds up to meet the CO edge. The sleeve is built right in. Amazing!
http://purrcat-jan.smugmug.com/photos/126239814-M.jpg

The back. The upper edge here is the CO edge. You can see how it made the turn with decreases to form the sleeve.
http://purrcat-jan.smugmug.com/photos/126239820-M.jpg

The front. I ran out of the red yarn and did a border edge with the multi. It ended up looking fine. There are button holes on both front edges so you can make it for a boy or girl.
http://purrcat-jan.smugmug.com/photos/126239829-M.jpg

The problem.. if you look at the front and at the back you can see the tops of the sleeves won't match. As far as I can tell that's just the nature of the beast. I don't know if there is a "fix" for this or not. Anyway, I love this pattern. It was fun to do and I really like the shape of it. I'm sure I'll be making more of them!

Jeep_Girl
01-29-2007, 03:04 PM
Jan - IT IS GORGEOUS! Stunning - the colors are beautiful!!! WOW :thud:

Jeep_Girl
01-29-2007, 03:18 PM
I had to come in and look again! Jan - so pretty!!! :heart: :cheering:

Jan in CA
01-29-2007, 03:23 PM
I had to come in and look again! Jan - so pretty!!! :heart: :cheering:
:aww: Thanks!

Shandeh
01-29-2007, 04:21 PM
I love how you point out the dog on the diagram! :rofl:

zip
01-29-2007, 04:27 PM
Jan! :passedout: It's wonderful! It needs to be worn or displayed in your local yarn store. Put it on a stuffed animal or doll in your house. I love it! :notworthy: You did the color change calculations on your own, right?

I'm surprised (heh) to learn that the cast-on edge is the top. I'm going to want to make another of her designs.

I thnk the top edge is great, as is. The following two photos are from her book, The Opinionated Knitter. I just scanned them in to show you the top edges. I hope I'm not doing something illegal by posting them. It's just photos, not the pattern.

Jan in CA
01-30-2007, 03:25 PM
Thanks Ginger! Those sweaters are cute. My problem with the top edge wasn't the edge itself, but the pattern for the back and front of the sleeve do not match. I asked on the Yahoo site and they said that is just the nature of the beast. :shrug: If it bothers me a lot I can just do solid sleeves.

BTW...I just ordered the Baby Surprise Jacket DVD (http://www.schoolhousepress.com/videos.htm). I don't need it, but it looks like it has some extra hints and stuff that might help out.

zip
01-30-2007, 10:44 PM
Your skills leave mine in the dust. :notworthy: I merely wanted to show you how the color change in the front didn't line up with the back, which is visible in the bottom picture that I scanned. The top one doesn't translate as well, but it shows the same result.

The DVD! Sounds like you're planning to make several more. :cheering:

I haven't knit a stitch since Saturday. :pout:

Jan in CA
01-31-2007, 02:20 AM
Your skills leave mine in the dust. :notworthy:

What skills??! You're making the same thing! :teehee:

I merely wanted to show you how the color change in the front didn't line up with the back, which is visible in the bottom picture that I scanned. The top one doesn't translate as well, but it shows the same result.

Oh I see. Yeah the one on the baby does show it and it really doesn't look to bad. I think maybe they did an I-cord seaming thing? :thinking:

The DVD! Sounds like you're planning to make several more. :cheering:

Oh yes! I can't wait to start a new one actually! It's like mindless knitting, but it comes out to be something cool!

I hope you get some time to knit soon!!

zip
02-01-2007, 10:45 PM
It looks like an i-cord trim to me. The necklines vary, as well. It's as though the pattern gives the basics and you can build upon it as you wish. I've heard of people adding hoods and cuffs.

I'm over halfway finished! I don't know how much knitting time I'll be able to sneak in over the next several days, as we're having houseguests. Today, I bought a reading lamp with an attached clip that I shall attempt to hook onto the headboard. :teehee:

Quiltlady
02-03-2007, 04:46 PM
I would like to join in the Yahoo group and I am in some others there. But when I try to find this one it says "private group". :shrug: What NAME is the group listed under in Yahoo Groups so I can find it? Thanks so much! I am very interested in this sweater too.

Quiltlady
02-03-2007, 04:54 PM
I just read here that the Yahoo group for this is CLOSED? May I ask WHY? :shrug:

Can there be TWO groups for this if there are so many other people wanting to get "in"? :?? Thanks

Jan in CA
02-03-2007, 05:14 PM
knitbabysurprise-owner@yahoogroups.com

Email the addy above and tell her you'd like to join and why. Apparently they were having some spam problems or something so they had to close it for now, but she let me in when I emailed her.

Quiltlady
02-03-2007, 05:26 PM
Jan, thanks so much!! I just sent an email asking to be let "in". :cheering: :cheering: I'll let you know! :teehee:

Quiltlady
02-03-2007, 07:19 PM
Yea!! I'm in!!! I appreciate the fast response from Marilyn. :muah: Now I'll order the pattern.

Jan in CA
02-03-2007, 07:34 PM
Yea!! I'm in!!! I appreciate the fast response from Marilyn. :muah: Now I'll order the pattern.

Yeah!! :cheering:
Check the file section of the forum.. lots of helpful files for the sweater!

I have the pattern and just ordered the DVD! Can't wait for it to get here! OH and I have the Adult version, too! :teehee:

Quiltlady
02-04-2007, 03:11 PM
Can anyone tell me about how much yarn I'd need to buy to make this sweater?? I ordered the pattern and would like to buy the yarn now too. Thank so much! :muah:

Jan in CA
02-04-2007, 04:00 PM
Uhhhh... I just used stash yarn so I'm not real sure. I wonder if they mentioned it in the Yahoo forum.. :thinking:

Quiltlady
02-04-2007, 06:36 PM
I did read that it takes 4oz. for the main color and a few ounces for the other colors. have cast on already and working my first row!! :happydance:

Quiltlady
02-04-2007, 09:00 PM
I knit up to row 11 tonight. :cheering: It's certainly easy so far!! Can't wait to do more on it tomorrow. :happydance: :happydance:

Jan in CA
02-04-2007, 09:12 PM
:cheering:

I think I'm going to start another either tonite or tomorrow. :happydance:

Quiltlady
02-04-2007, 09:47 PM
Jan, Thank you so much for posting your pictures of what's what on the sweater when it was still not folded to look like a sweater. Now I know what I've been working on for the first 11 rows. I had NO idea. I thought it was the bottom...I was wrong!! Thanks again!! :muah:

Jan in CA
02-04-2007, 10:35 PM
You're welcome! I had no idea either really and thought the same thing. It helps so you can do the colors in a certain way if you want to.

Quiltlady
02-05-2007, 09:43 AM
This sweater reminds me of when I did a "Mystery Quilt". You are told how much fabric to buy and how to cut it but you have NO idea what you are making. I've done only one!! :teehee:

The wallhanging quilt turned out nice BUT had I known what I WAS making I would have changed some of the fabrics etc. I guess I'm the kind that wants to know first. lol

Jan in CA
02-05-2007, 02:14 PM
I started another little sweater with some turquoise stash wool blend I had. Finding a good contrasting color for stripes may be difficult for this one. :?? I may just make it a solid color. I've seen those and they look just as cute. :teehee:

Quiltlady
02-05-2007, 02:42 PM
It looks like the possibilities with this sweater are endless when it comes to how it can "look".

If I like how mine comes out I think I'd do a solid color one next. I've done a Google search on images of this sweater and there are a nice assortment of pics. to see on the sweater. :hug:

Jan in CA
02-06-2007, 04:40 PM
Hi Quiltlady...are you the Celine that's been posting in the Yahoo group?

I'm going to start another one! Well actually I HAD started, but had to frog because I did the decreases wrong. :doh:

BTW..I got the video! It's great for visual learners. Even though I've done one I got some helpful hints and she shows how to do the i-cord bind off and collar.

Jan in CA
02-08-2007, 12:20 PM
How's everyone doing on their sweaters?

Mama Bear
02-08-2007, 12:47 PM
I finally got a photo of the Tomten jacket. I don't have the button and loop I want for it yet. I'll post it on watcha knittin after I get that done, but for now... here it is:

http://beartoes.com/images/tomtenjacket.jpg

My son wanted the bear in the photo :)

I have really enjoyed seeing the baby surprise jackets. I may have to try one!

Mama Bear

Jan in CA
02-08-2007, 02:32 PM
That's really cute, Mamabear!

Jeep_Girl
02-08-2007, 05:13 PM
AW - these jackets are all so cute!!!

zip
02-08-2007, 11:45 PM
More BSJ knitters! :cheering:

Mama Bear, your tomten jacket (plus matching socks!) is great - thanks for sharing it.

I'll post a photo of my nearly completed jacket this weekend. Tonight's my first night to relax in over a week. I'm kinda vegetating with a cup of coffee.

Jeep_Girl
02-09-2007, 11:00 AM
I was wondering when we're going to see yours!

*posts in this KAL as if I were doing it too* :teehee:

Quiltlady
02-09-2007, 07:13 PM
HI JanCA, yes thats me at the Yahoo group too. :teehee:

Well I did this sweater last weekend up to row 86. I had NO trouble with it at all. But I decided to stop it since I did not like my yarn color plus it looks like I knit it too loose. I love the process of knitting so it didn't bother me to abandon it at all.

So when the KAl began I started it again with a different buttery color. I tried it three times and kept having a problem when it came to lining up the corner stitches. :wall: :wall: So to be honest, I got so frustrated with it I ripped it out a fourth time and have put it away for awhile.
:oops:

Jan in CA
02-09-2007, 07:58 PM
What do you mean lining them up? Do you mean where you decrease? I put a marker on the middle stitch and I count every time anyway to make sure.

zip
02-09-2007, 11:31 PM
I haven't yet stitched the seams. I didn't even get to put it together. I finished the cast off and handed it to a weekend guest merely to see if she could figure it out, then I headed inside to the kitchen. She joined me moments later and asked, "Is this how it goes? It's so cute!" :D

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/171/385150155_22104c5606.jpg

hmmmm... :doh:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/155/385150157_588772c729.jpg

:roll: Jan, how can I easily fix my flub? I saw it as I did it, but I'm a dork and thought it'd work out. :oops:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/145/385150158_6fbc72c4f0.jpg (http://flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=385150158&size=l&context=photostream) < - click for bigness

Jan in CA
02-09-2007, 11:50 PM
Oh boy..I have the same thing almost! I caught it pretty quickly and tried to p/u the stitches differently, but I still didn't get it quite right. What it seemed like to me was that I was picking up the stitches from the wrong side at that point. I'm not sure how that could be, but that's what it looked like. I was going to try some duplicate stitching over it as best I could. Lesson learned though to be more careful this time around!

zip
02-10-2007, 12:05 AM
Yes, exactly! On the other side, the stitches were picked up on the next row and look perfect. Thanks so much for sharing yours, too! I attempted to "fix" it a couple of times that very night by maneuvering the loose threads differently. I'll work something out with it this weekend.

Did you Icord your seams, or attach them some other way?

Jan in CA
02-10-2007, 12:18 AM
I haven't yet, but I bought the BSJ video and Meg gives great instructions on it so I am going to do that!

Shandeh
02-10-2007, 01:18 AM
Beautiful baby jacket, sis! :heart:
I'm sure the little "oopsies" won't be that noticeable. Maybe you can strategically add some kind of decoration to cover it up?

zip
02-10-2007, 01:33 AM
Beautiful baby jacket, sis! :heart:
I'm sure the little "oopsies" won't be that noticeable. Maybe you can strategically add some kind of decoration to cover it up?

That's a possibility, yes. Tomorrow, I'll work with a crochet hook to finagle it as best I can, then perhaps duplicate stitch, as Jan mentioned. I shan't fret about it any longer. And thank you! It was fun and I look forward to knitting more EZ stuff.

Shandeh
02-10-2007, 01:39 AM
:muah: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Jeep_Girl
02-10-2007, 10:30 AM
ZIP - GREAT JOB!!!! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: It looks wonderful!

GinnyG
02-12-2007, 04:20 PM
HI!
I haven't read through all these pages but I just got the DVD for the BSJ and hope to start one as soon as I finish the poncho I'm working on. I'd lie to start with baby and then move on to an Adult.

Has anyone made an Adult Surprise Jacket?

Jan in CA
02-12-2007, 06:17 PM
HI!
I haven't read through all these pages but I just got the DVD for the BSJ and hope to start one as soon as I finish the poncho I'm working on. I'd lie to start with baby and then move on to an Adult.

Has anyone made an Adult Surprise Jacket?

I'm on my second BSJ and I have the pattern for the adult one, but haven't done it yet.

BTW..that avatar is adorable! Your doggie?

GinnyG
02-12-2007, 07:16 PM
I'm on my second BSJ and I have the pattern for the adult one, but haven't done it yet.

BTW..that avatar is adorable! Your doggie?

Yes, that is Ty my maltese. I also have an old english sheepdog. It was making sweaters for Ty that got me back into knitting after many years.

After reading through this post, I think I may make my FIRST BSJ in a verigated yarn to avoid the color change (I'll try that second time around). I guess that is a bit cowardly!!! :oops:

Jan in CA
02-12-2007, 08:32 PM
Changing colors is no big deal. It's just like any other project, but you don't know where the colors will end up till after you do the first one. ;) It's fun! My second one is a solid color though.

Oh maybe this will help.
BSJ Stripes (http://cloudnineacres.homestead.com/BSSstripes.html)

Compulsive
02-13-2007, 01:00 AM
Jan & Zip, your BSJs came out really nice, and I love both of your color selections.

zip
02-13-2007, 09:55 PM
I'm so disappointed with mine. :( except for the buttons I found.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/154/389680646_35332408ee.jpg

Luckily, I love the little hat (http://gailbable.tripod.com/id18.html) that I made last night. :)

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/169/389680648_9ac9ea1474.jpg

Hopefully, the hat will help to make up for all the flaws in the jacket. ;)

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/127/389680651_884fb5680b.jpg

even if they do appear to be made for babies a year apart in age. :doh:
I am such a dork. But I wil make another of the jackets - larger and with wool this time - and it shall be an improvement over this one.

edited to add a link to the hat pattern.

GinnyG
02-13-2007, 10:12 PM
I think it looks LOVELY!! I love the colors.

Shandeh
02-13-2007, 10:32 PM
Ginger, it's PERFECT!!! It looks like something you'd find in an exclusive baby shop! :heart: :heart:

zip
02-13-2007, 11:16 PM
Ack! Thanks, ladies. I kinda grit my teeth when I look at it. Nevertheless, they're going in the mail tomorrow!

Jan in CA
02-13-2007, 11:51 PM
I think it's adorable! I know how it is though, we see the "flaws" and they seem huge even if in reality no one else would notice. That hat is so cute and makes a cute set!

Jeep_Girl
02-14-2007, 12:12 PM
It is ADORABLE! And the hat makes it complete! And Jan is right - no one will ever notice what you can see.

zip
02-18-2007, 02:46 PM
Thank you, Jan and Lisa!

I received photos today. From grumpy to happy. :teehee:

My grandude's old lady made me clothes and I hadda actually wear them.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/146/394289577_e5c2eb797b.jpg

Hey, look over there! maybe if I distract Mom, I can get outta this.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/150/394289582_95674ee1e8.jpg

Halfway home! You just wait'll you're nursing home eligible, Momma.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/174/394289583_a3df173bf5.jpg

Jan in CA
02-18-2007, 03:17 PM
Omigosh! He is adorable and the sweater looks wonderful on him!!

I just finished the i-cord bind off on my first sweater. It still needs buttons though. I also finished knitting the second one and I'm debating how to finish it..with i-cord or not. :thinking:

zip
02-18-2007, 03:32 PM
Omigosh! He is adorable and the sweater looks wonderful on him!!

I just finished the i-cord bind off on my first sweater. It still needs buttons though. I also finished knitting the second one and I'm debating how to finish it..with i-cord or not. :thinking:

Thanks, Jan. He's the bee's knees!

I'd love to see the finished first one. I attempted the i-cord bind off and failed miserably. So I resorted to the three needle bind off, which I believe would've looked better on the outside than on the inside. It's how I plan to finish the next one. Also, I'll include only three buttons next time, or perhaps only one.

GinnyG
02-18-2007, 03:49 PM
How PRECIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jan in CA
02-18-2007, 04:00 PM
Thanks, Jan. He's the bee's knees!

I'd love to see the finished first one. I attempted the i-cord bind off and failed miserably. So I resorted to the three needle bind off, which I believe would've looked better on the outside than on the inside. It's how I plan to finish the next one. Also, I'll include only three buttons next time, or perhaps only one.

I wish I had grandkids or some small kids in the family so I could make stuff for them instead of charity!! Not that I mind knitting for charity mind you, but it would be nice to keep it in the family. It's a good way to learn though.

I will post pix later. I put buttonholes on both sides as the pattern stated so I pretty much have to do all the buttons. I think I would prefer less though, too.

The i-cord bind off isn't as hard as I thought it might be, just time consuming. Didn't the 3 needle bind off leave a stockinette area on the shoulders?

zip
02-18-2007, 04:11 PM
meh. The shoulders look ... fine to anyone but me or another knitter. It didn't leave a stockinette area. I matched the right sides, as all the directions that I could find directed me to do. I think in this particular pattern, the 3-needle would look good seamed with the wrong sides together. I was ready to be done with it and sent to the baby before he outgrew it too much for even a photo op. :rofl:

Plus, it was my practice model knit in acrylic. I wanted it gone. Z's daughter reports that she's happy with it. I asked her to suggest a color for a larger one in wool. Hopefully, she'll reply. ;) Maybe I oughta invest in the video, as you did.

Thank you, GinnyG! :)

Jan in CA
02-18-2007, 05:07 PM
Good for you! Every time I try to seam stuff like that it looks awful! :doh:

I found the video helpful. I would not have known how to go around corners with the i-cord and stuff like that. :shrug:

GinnyG
02-18-2007, 06:59 PM
I have the video (DVD) but haven't had time to watch it. My hope is to "knit along" with it.

Jan in CA
02-18-2007, 10:56 PM
Oh! I learned a new trick tonite.. I made the sleeves longer on my second one! Here's how "I" did it if anyone wants to know.

1. With right side facing you pick up 35 stitches through the front loop.
2. Knit as many rows as you want..working a right side row last. Wrong side row will be facing you. Bind off in knit.

I did 14 rows which added about 2 inches, but I don't know if it's really long enough. You could also do some ribbing before finding off. I chose to end there and do an attached i-cord.

BTW..doing it this way leaves it so you really can't tell too easily where you've picked up and added on! :cheering:

Pix later...

zip
02-19-2007, 06:10 PM
Jan, you're a genius! I can almost visualize it, but not quite. I shall patiently await your photos. I'm looking forward to seeing the color of your 2nd one anyway.

Jan in CA
02-19-2007, 06:54 PM
Jan, you're a genius! I can almost visualize it, but not quite. I shall patiently await your photos. I'm looking forward to seeing the color of your 2nd one anyway.

:teehee: On the yahoo site they had another member's method, but it wasn't really clear enough...at least to me.

I'm working on the last bit of i-cord edging around the front and back so will get pix when I'm done.

zip
02-19-2007, 11:01 PM

:teehee: On the yahoo site they had another member's method, but it wasn't really clear enough...at least to me.

I'm working on the last bit of i-cord edging around the front and back so will get pix when I'm done.

You've probably already read that EZ didn't want to clutter up the pattern with longer sleeves (I'm certain I read that somewhere.) And I know you've seen that the adult version includes long sleeves. My book also has notes on how to add pockets and sleeves to the baby version and the i-cord trim. Lots of tips are in there, as well as tales of the guru from her children. I really ought to just start at the beginning and read the whole thing, and the other one I bought, too.

Jan in CA
02-20-2007, 02:49 AM
Which book? I just finished reading (cover to cover) Knitting Around and it has the Baby Bog/Adult Bog jacket in it.

Anyway, yes. I did see that she didn't feel the need for longer sleeves, but I feel if it's being worn for warmth then it probably should. There is really no way to add them directly to the pattern for the BSJ is there? I think it requires adding the way I did.

I finished the i-cord trim, but it's not perfect. I'm going to toss it in the wash and see if it helps the wonkiness. Maybe I'm just too picky. :shrug: I didn't add the i-cord button loops as I couldn't quite make sense of them so I'll have to figure out another way.. :thinking:

zip
02-20-2007, 03:33 AM
I don't think you're too picky. You're just picky enough. :teehee:

Knitting Around is on my bookcase - I haven't even cracked it. Both surprise jackets are in The Opinionated Knitter. It reads that she resisted designing an adult version because the formula resulted in elbow-length sleeves and she disliked the appearance of knitting-up from the outline-stitch-side of a long tail cast on. While knitting her garter-stitch heart design, she realized that if stitches are knitted up from the wrong side, the join is undetectable.

That sounds like what you've done, yet the above reads almost like crochet to me, aka a foreign language.

Since then, someone else (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=cP4&q=Carol+Anderson+cottage+creations&btnG=Search) was inspired to cast on invisibly, which gives you raw stitches around the cuff, from which you can lengthen the sleeves.

That, I understand.

I like the idea of longer sleeves, too, and would like to incorporate them on my next one. There are additional tips in the book. Gitchee a copy. I bought the two as a discounted package deal from Amazon.

Jan in CA
02-20-2007, 01:26 PM
While knitting her garter-stitch heart design, she realized that if stitches are knitted up from the wrong side, the join is undetectable.

That sounds like what you've done, yet the above reads almost like crochet to me, aka a foreign language.

She says the wrong side? I tried that and it looks better from the right side. :??: Foreign language.. :teehee: She calls it knitting up, but most people say picking up.

Since then, someone else (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=cP4&q=Carol+Anderson+cottage+creations&btnG=Search) was inspired to cast on invisibly, which gives you raw stitches around the cuff, from which you can lengthen the sleeves.

Meg Swansen said that in the video. However, I'm still trying to wrap my mind around this. I know how to CO invisibly, but I could swear the edges of the sleeves are an edge. :??: Guess they know more than I do though. :teehee: In the book she also mentions CO invisibly for the sleeves ends on the Bog Jacket for the sleeve extensions.

Several of her books are on my wishlist. I got that last one from the library and made copies of the patterns I wanted.

The finished sweater is in the wash now..keeping fingers crossed it comes out in one piece.

:teehee:

Jan in CA
02-20-2007, 03:20 PM
Here are the photos of the two Baby Surprise Jackets I've finished.

The first one done except for buttons. Info on this one in previous post.
http://purrcat-jan.smugmug.com/photos/130990683-M.jpg

The second one done except for buttons. I forgot the buttonholes and couldn't quite figure out the buttonhole/i-cord thing so I think I'll probably crochet a chain or something and add that at the top for one or two buttons. On this one I made longer sleeves (see previous post). Unless you know where to look they are pretty invisible. I'm happy with the outcome on them. Next time I'll try the invisible CO trick and see how that works out.
Yarn: Lana Monterosa Lotto --- Needles: size 8 I think this will fit a 4 yr old, but I'm not sure. I need to measure it.
http://purrcat-jan.smugmug.com/photos/130990686-M.jpg

The i-cord was more time consuming than difficult, but it was a little hard to get it nice and even looking. Practice will help that I'm assuming. I like the look of it so it's worth the effort.

zip
02-23-2007, 12:42 AM
Beautiful, Jan! That i-cord edging all the way around had to take several hours. I know where to look for the sleeve extension. Nice work!

Jan in CA
03-22-2007, 01:56 PM
For anyone still considering this sweater I found a link that might give some more info for you. ;)

http://www.knitting-and.com/wiki/Baby_Surprise_Jacket

jeanius80
04-24-2007, 12:17 AM
i :heart: these sweaters!! i just cast on for my first sweater and its a BSJ and i dyed the yarn myself :woot: i am only about 6/7 rows in...i really want to finish this one!... using worsted weight wool and size 7 straights...

this is the yarn i am using:

Shandeh
04-24-2007, 12:48 AM
Purty-ful! :cheering:

jeanius80
04-28-2007, 02:13 PM
its so slow going for me. so far so good, but my lovely dd doesnt let me knit! :pout: when ever i have yarn and needles inmy lap she wants to pull it away and climb up. by the time i finish this sweater she'll be in kindergarten :teehee:

zip
04-28-2007, 06:10 PM
Jeanius, I love the color! Can't wait to see it. :)

fwiw, I predict that you're gonna want a circular needle to help support the weight.

jeanius80
04-28-2007, 08:56 PM
Jeanius, I love the color! Can't wait to see it. :)

fwiw, I predict that you're gonna want a circular needle to help support the weight.

:teehee: I usually use circs, but i cant find my needle gauger, so i went with my straights since the size is written on them :oops:

LeslieRR
05-03-2007, 08:14 AM
I must say that I LOVE all of your BSJs... they are all very inspiring. (love love LOVE the way that they have turned out for you!)

I must admit that I've looked at the pattern, but I do find it kind of confusing at times. As for adding colour, I have no idea where to add this in for the nice stripes.

Anyone else making one of these currently?

Jan in CA
05-03-2007, 12:49 PM
Maybe these will help, Leslie.
BSJ stripes (http://cloudnineacres.homestead.com/BSSstripes.html)
BSJ - Knitwiki (http://www.knitting-and.com/wiki/Baby_Surprise_Jacket)

If you haven't joined the Yahoo Knit Baby Surprise forum I suggest it. They knit other EZ patterns, but they are very knowledgeable and helpful! It's a close forum, but email knitbabysurprise-owner@yahoogroups.com and ask to join. You do have to own the pattern or book first though. Since you said you were looking at it I'm assuming you do already. ;)

LeslieRR
05-28-2007, 03:41 PM
I've been meaning to say thanks for the hints and the places to go!

I've joined the Yahoo group, and thanks to all of the notes and hints that are posted, everything makes much more sense.

I'm almost completed my BSJ - I'm just lengthening the sleeves, and I'll probably do a collar. Then I'll post some pictures.

Thanks to some of the comments in this thread, it helped me to avoid the colour boo-boo when picking up the stitches. I kept in mind that I would be picking up from the back, and picked up from the front in stead (felt a little awkward though, so fortunately it was only a few stitches).

The other great thing about this sweater is that you can use stash yarn. Though, sigh, I got into my mom's stash and not my own!

Thanks again for the help and inspriation!

Jan in CA
05-29-2007, 03:09 PM
I can't wait to see it, Leslie! I've made a couple of them and I'm thinking of doing another one. I have to go to Michaels today so maybe...:think:

LeslieRR
05-30-2007, 02:06 PM
Ah Michaels...just have to love it.
I'm trying to stay out of there for now, but I may have to go in for a peek! Doesn't help with Stash management. Not at all. :-)

Debbie
07-28-2007, 07:55 AM
I just ordered the pattern and can't wait to get started. Jan, I also ordered the adult pattern, have you made an adult sweater yet ? Everyone has made such pretty sweaters, I can't wait to start !!!

zip
07-29-2007, 12:27 AM
I just ordered the pattern and can't wait to get started. Jan, I also ordered the adult pattern, have you made an adult sweater yet ? Everyone has made such pretty sweaters, I can't wait to start !!!

:cheering: You'll love it! It's so much fun to make. I'll be starting an infant size by Monday. My SO's second grandson is due one month from today. The due date just snuck up on me - thought I had more time.

newamy
08-03-2007, 10:31 AM
I recently have been reading some EZ books and want to make this jacket. I have no babies what so ever to knit for so it will probably be a charity item or become a baby gift if one crops up somewhere...After reading the pattern I do have two questions: It says "At 5 ridges INCREASE 9 stitches across the end sections" (for the fullness of the cuffs) That's 9 stitches at each end, right?? Then obviously when this increase is going on one is continuing to decrease along the diagonals Then it says "after 22 decreases (90 stitches). work three even rows." Are the 90 stitches including the 9 Increases made earlier at each end? Or do you have to really count out that 22 decreases were made?:think:

Thanks, Amy

feministmama
08-03-2007, 11:44 AM

OK how cool is it that there is a knitwiki :cheering:

Jan in CA
08-03-2007, 11:58 AM
Amy, the way the original pattern is written it IS hard to follow. I joined the Yahoo group (knitbabysurprise) posted elsewhere in this thread and it helped a lot. Since then this has been posted (and approved by Meg Swansen) and it may help a lot. It's been awhile since I made it and I'll have to think about it..

http://www.3gcs.com/adcock/free%20patterns/BSS%20Notes.htm

newamy
08-03-2007, 12:05 PM
That is a helpful looking link, I bet it will make a lot more sense when I have the peice in front of me.

Thank you!

I need to wrap up some socks before I start this pattern.

zip
08-04-2007, 05:34 PM
Amy, the way the original pattern is written it IS hard to follow. I joined the Yahoo group (knitbabysurprise) posted elsewhere in this thread and it helped a lot. Since then this has been posted (and approved by Meg Swansen) and it may help a lot. It's been awhile since I made it and I'll have to think about it..

Thanks, Jan. It's good to learn that Meg approved it.

I'm having difficulty visualizing all of newamy's questions, too. Hopefully, they'll make more sense in a couple of days as I work on this second jacket.

zip
08-04-2007, 05:39 PM
I recently have been reading some EZ books and want to make this jacket. I have no babies what so ever to knit for so it will probably be a charity item or become a baby gift if one crops up somewhere...After reading the pattern I do have two questions: It says "At 5 ridges INCREASE 9 stitches across the end sections" (for the fullness of the cuffs) That's 9 stitches at each end, right?? Then obviously when this increase is going on one is continuing to decrease along the diagonals Then it says "after 22 decreases (90 stitches). work three even rows." Are the 90 stitches including the 9 Increases made earlier at each end? Or do you have to really count out that 22 decreases were made?:think:

Thanks, Amy

Amy, I'm fuzzy on the 5 ridges portion, but I do remember having to calculate where to include 9 increases. Their purpose is to ease the fit, and they're scattered, not grouped.

I think that you'll be able to determine the answer to your other question as you knit the jacket. It begins to make sense as you do it.

Jan in CA
08-05-2007, 01:25 AM
Amy, I'm fuzzy on the 5 ridges portion, but I do remember having to calculate where to include 9 increases. Their purpose is to ease the fit, and they're scattered, not grouped.

I think that you'll be able to determine the answer to your other question as you knit the jacket. It begins to make sense as you do it.

Absolutely! It makes much more sense as you are doing it...although it doesn't look like a sweater till the very end after you've folded it! :teehee:

zkimom
08-12-2007, 08:41 AM
Hi all,

I just started my first BSJ this weekend. I had ordered The Opinionated Knitter, The Knitter's Almanac and the Knitting Workshop from KnitPicks great sale. I wasn't sure if I wanted to start the February Baby Sweater from the Almanac or the BSJ so I decided to do both but the BSJ first.

Anyway, I've finished all the decrease rows and am starting on the increase rows. I have the notes page up and it has been helpful however I was wondering if anyone else noticed that in EZ's pattern when you get to the point where you have 90 stitches, she says you should work 3 rows even before starting the M1s. On the notes page, it goes straight into the M1s -- or so it seems to me.

On the spot where you have to increase the 9 stitches across the end sections, in the Opinionated Knitter EZ says to do a k3 m1 across. That's what I did and so far it seems to have worked.

Anyway, I am knitting furiously on my project and I am admitting to not have done a gauge check because I was more interested in how the pattern went together than really having it fit anyone in particular. I'm using some Encore Worsted Weight and size 7 circs and the fabric looks pretty good so I'm forging on. Worst case is that I will have to lengthen the sleeves to have it fit a toddler.

I don't know what it is about this pattern that has me so obsessed with knitting it. I'm taking advantage of the fact that my leg is in a cast and I'm not so mobile anyway to indulge in some heavy knitting sessions! Maybe it will be done today or tomorrow :eyes:

I'm so glad this KAL is here!

Best,
Susan

Doodknitwit
08-12-2007, 09:24 AM

If you haven't joined the Yahoo Knit Baby Surprise forum I suggest it. They knit other EZ patterns, but they are very knowledgeable and helpful! It's a close forum, but email knitbabysurprise-owner@yahoogroups.com and ask to join. You do have to own the pattern or book first though. Since you said you were looking at it I'm assuming you do already. ;)

I'm woohoo: invited!!! Meg sent me an email for one of the list Moms... she emailed and I'm in the group :yay: What a great resource is KH forum and the yahoo group.
Thanks Jan & Zip!!!

zip
08-12-2007, 01:43 PM
Susan, my notes read that, at 90, you're to knit three rows before beginning the increases. Sounds like you're doing great!

Dood, you got an e-mail from Meg? I didn't know she was involved in the yahoo group. I must pay closer attention.

Jan in CA
08-12-2007, 02:11 PM
Dood, you got an e-mail from Meg? I didn't know she was involved in the yahoo group. I must pay closer attention.

Meg will post sometimes when someone has a question about an EZ pattern. She helped me with the attached i-cord as well as all the others there. ;)

Doodknitwit
08-12-2007, 03:47 PM
Meg not in the group..she sent a list mom my request...

??? in notes it says...........:eyes:

Two sides are always same amount of sts, only one side of numbers is noted, with center sts next.

The dividing stitch between sections isnít noted, so there are 2 more sts to add to the row total on most rows.

(In other words: numbers show the amount of sts on one side, then you have the dividing st, then the center section sts noted next, then for the other side after the next dividing st you will also have the same amount that is listed for the first side

did you guys add 2 stitches on??? :shrug:

zkimom
08-12-2007, 04:00 PM

Two sides are always same amount of sts, only one side of numbers is noted, with center sts next.

The dividing stitch between sections isnít noted, so there are 2 more sts to add to the row total on most rows.

(In other words: numbers show the amount of sts on one side, then you have the dividing st, then the center section sts noted next, then for the other side after the next dividing st you will also have the same amount that is listed for the first side

That extra 2 stitches are going to be the death of me -- I remember them every few rows or so :zombie:

I was just wondering -- in the notes she says to put 34 side stitches on holders -- is that necessary or can I knit with them still on the circular needle?

It doesn't seem to me that I need the holders and since mine are upstairs and going up and down on crutches is no fun, I'd rather just try without 'em.

What do you all think?

Thanks!

Susan

Jan in CA
08-12-2007, 04:01 PM

Oh I see..so you didn't join the Yahoo group? Meg is in that one and sometimes posts with help or answers.

:?? I'll have to look closer at that page. I don't remember adding any stitches.

Doodknitwit
08-12-2007, 04:04 PM
QUOTE=zkimom;932335]That extra 2 stitches are going to be the death of me -- I remember them every few rows or so :zombie:

I was just wondering -- in the notes she says to put 34 side stitches on holders -- is that necessary or can I knit with them still on the circular needle?

It doesn't seem to me that I need the holders and since mine are upstairs and going up and down on crutches is no fun, I'd rather just try without 'em.

What do you all think?

Thanks!
use a scrap piece of yarn.....:psst:

Susan[/QUOTE]

Jan in CA
08-12-2007, 04:05 PM
I looked at the stitch counts on my version I got from the Yahoo group and the stitch counts seem to be the same on the rows I checked. I don't ever remember having problems with 2 extra stitches on the sweaters I did. :think:

Susan if it said to put the stitches on holders I probably did, but if you can do it w/o I don't see why not. Just don't get confused. You could also just use a length of yarn for a holder so you don't have to run upstairs.

zkimom
08-12-2007, 04:07 PM
use a scrap piece of yarn.....:psst:

Thanks! That I can do without the extra trip on the stairs!

Best,
Susan

Doodknitwit
08-12-2007, 04:08 PM
Oh I see..so you didn't join the Yahoo group? Meg is in that one and sometimes posts with help or answers.

:?? I'll have to look closer at that page. I don't remember adding any stitches.

:eyes:

I emailed Meg about it, she had a list mom email me with an invite to join!!!!

Doodknitwit
08-12-2007, 08:27 PM
across end sections. ok how do I do that on the first end without having to break yarn........... :hair:

Jan in CA
08-12-2007, 08:39 PM
Just increase in the first section, knit across and then increase again. :teehee:

Doodknitwit
08-12-2007, 08:44 PM
i think row 10... I thought I was knitting down the outside edge ...to inc 9.. You say I'm inc 9 st before the 1st marker and inc 9 st after the last marker.. :figureditout: duh huh.............

zkimom
08-12-2007, 09:50 PM
Susan if it said to put the stitches on holders I probably did, but if you can do it w/o I don't see why not. Just don't get confused. You could also just use a length of yarn for a holder so you don't have to run upstairs.

Thanks, Jan -- I used a piece of yarn and am almost done with the center 90 stitches :woohoo:

And by the way, I don't "run" anywhere right now. I hobble:blooby:The blooby is me dancing when I finally get my cast off!

Best,
Susan

Jan in CA
08-12-2007, 10:15 PM
Glad I could help, ladies! :cheering:

zkimom
08-14-2007, 07:32 AM
I'm almost done with my first every BSJ! I'm a couple of rows away from the buttonhole row and I finally figured out which way was which. How totally cool!

Now to make one in some really nice yarn. My first one was a stash buster made out of some orphan Encore that never got made into the project it was meant for. It looks nice, but now for some dk wool I have stashed away.

This is fun!

Best (and thanks for the tips!)
Susan

Jan in CA
08-14-2007, 01:21 PM
The pattern tells you to put button holes on both sides and then later decided which side you want for the buttons. Then you can sew the buttons on over the holes to close them. I suggest you figure out which side you want them on now so you don't have to do that. ;) Can't wait to see it!

redheadrachel
08-14-2007, 03:05 PM
I just got EZ's Knitting Workshop - I really want to make this baby jacket, but I'm afraid I won't be able to figure out the seams :shrug: Were you all able to figure it out?

Jan in CA
08-14-2007, 04:52 PM
I just got EZ's Knitting Workshop - I really want to make this baby jacket, but I'm afraid I won't be able to figure out the seams :shrug: Were you all able to figure it out?

Seams? There are no seams on the BSJ. :?? Unless you're referring to the "phony seams" and those aren't necessary. I didn't use them in either of my BSJs.

redheadrachel
08-14-2007, 04:57 PM
Isn't this the jacket where it looks all crazy like nothing, and then you sew up two seams and it's a jacket? Like this: http://www.knitting-and.com/wiki/Baby_Surprise_Jacket

Jan in CA
08-14-2007, 06:55 PM
Isn't this the jacket where it looks all crazy like nothing, and then you sew up two seams and it's a jacket? Like this: http://www.knitting-and.com/wiki/Baby_Surprise_Jacket

Yes, that's the jacket. The lines you see are just a series of increases and decreases. The only seams are on the shoulders and down the arm. I've seen your knitting you won't have many problems with this and if you do you know where to turn. KH!! :teehee::hug:

zkimom
08-15-2007, 11:05 AM

I have to admit it taking me awhile til I could figure out which end was up.

Then I was already knitting on the last fews rows before the button band before I figured it out.

I had to wake my dh up and show him, I was so thrilled!:happydance:

He wasn't. Men, go figure. :shrug:

zkimom
08-15-2007, 11:07 AM
The pattern tells you to put button holes on both sides and then later decided which side you want for the buttons. Then you can sew the buttons on over the holes to close them. I suggest you figure out which side you want them on now so you don't have to do that. ;) Can't wait to see it!

Thanks, Jan, but I read this too late -- already have both sets of button holes in.

Next one I make I will just do the side I need.

Best,
Susan

zip
08-15-2007, 03:52 PM
I'm almost done with my first every BSJ! I'm a couple of rows away from the buttonhole row and I finally figured out which way was which. How totally cool!

Now to make one in some really nice yarn. My first one was a stash buster made out of some orphan Encore that never got made into the project it was meant for. It looks nice, but now for some dk wool I have stashed away.

This is fun!

Best (and thanks for the tips!)
Susan

Isn't it amazing?! I love this pattern. I started one on Sunday as we drove into the city to see a favorite band. I couldn't bring myself to abandon it in the car. I worked on it during the show.

Do you have photos to share?

zkimom
08-16-2007, 05:30 PM
Here's my first attempt. There are some mistakes but not so bad as you would really notice.

I haven't done the seam yet cause I can't find my pink yarn.

This was a fun garment to knit and I already have my yarn picked out for the next one.

Best,
Susan

kaidyddd
08-16-2007, 06:59 PM

You can just leave the side stitches on the circular needles. After the first row or two it is clear that these stitches are just being held. It works out great.

Jan in CA
08-16-2007, 07:40 PM
Awww that's so cute, Susan!

zip
08-16-2007, 09:19 PM
sweet sweater, Susan. :)

Doodknitwit
08-20-2007, 07:16 PM
zkimom....Cute !!!

newamy
08-21-2007, 12:25 AM
Cute sweater.
I just now started this jacket. I had one false start- I think my count was off by 1 stitch then I was double decreasing wrong. But I ripped it all out and started over; now I am on the right track. I think it will be cute. One question I had in the pattern has already answered itself as I knit it. I hope my next question will answer itself when I get to that section.
I'm using Mission Falls Super wash wool.

dakatzmeow
08-21-2007, 12:36 AM
i just started my first bsj after getting my kit from schoolhouse press. love it! i have no idea how the color will turn out, so i started with the medium grey and i'll use a teal ball of wool next. then back to grey, then back to teal. my hope is that the teal will end up around where baby might spit up and hide any *gasp* stains.

newamy
08-22-2007, 06:57 PM
Here is my progress on the baby surprise jacket. I am using left over Mission Falls superwash. I have an odd color combination but I like the way it looks. The colors aren't very babyish. But are good jacket colors. I'm hoping for some interesting stripes with all the miters. I have no intended recipient for this. This is the first thing I have made where I am making it "just because" to find out how to make it. I might donate it to charity or if it turns out well and I still like it when it's done I might just hang onto it for awhile.

Jan in CA
08-22-2007, 07:24 PM
I love it, Amy! It's beautiful!

Doodknitwit
08-22-2007, 07:26 PM
using the yahoo group tutorial..
row 100 knit 90 pick up & knit 10 st..
i've lost count of my exact row but in garter stitch
would that 10 st be 10 ridges....? :hair:

zkimom
08-22-2007, 07:42 PM
using the yahoo group tutorial..
row 100 knit 90 pick up & knit 10 st..
i've lost count of my exact row but in garter stitch
would that 10 st be 10 ridges....? :hair:

The 10 stitches that you pick up fit nicely into the space where the 10 ridges are.

I wish I could illustrate it or explain it better but you should be able to see where the stitches go once you start that row.

The notes I used weren't very specific at that row.

Hope this helps a little.

Best,
Susan

zkimom
08-22-2007, 07:51 PM
Here is my progress on the baby surprise jacket. I am using left over Mission Falls superwash. I have an odd color combination but I like the way it looks. The colors aren't very babyish. But are good jacket colors. I'm hoping for some interesting stripes with all the miters. I have no intended recipient for this. This is the first thing I have made where I am making it "just because" to find out how to make it. I might donate it to charity or if it turns out well and I still like it when it's done I might just hang onto it for awhile.

Amy,

From what I read, EZ wasn't that into tradtional baby colors anyway. I love the color combination of yours.

Best,
Susan

dakatzmeow
08-22-2007, 08:56 PM
ribbit. ribbit. :(

Jan in CA
08-23-2007, 01:46 AM
ribbit. ribbit. :(

Aww bummer. For future reference each ridge is two rows.

zip
08-23-2007, 08:18 AM
Amy, it's looking great! I really like the colors.
___

katz, did you frog all the way? :(

___

I'm working on a newborn size in baby blue using Lang's baby cotton bambini. It's for a baby who'll be induced in a few days. so i'm feeling the pressure.

dakatzmeow
08-23-2007, 06:16 PM
yep. i only have 15-20 rows down, and i knew i had screwed up around row 9. i discovered another boo boo, so i frogged it. plus, i'm using meg's shetland wool and to be honest, i really want it a little softer than it will be with this wool. i'm re-thinking my yarn and i'll try again soon. i am enthralled with ez's methods and patterns. i MUST conquer the BSJ! ;)

Doodknitwit
08-23-2007, 07:04 PM
i'm on row 111... it doesn't look like a jacket:eyes:

i have faith... :roflhard:

Jan in CA
08-23-2007, 07:09 PM
i'm on row 111... it doesn't look like a jacket:eyes:

i have faith... :roflhard:

You have to have faith because at this point it looks crazy! It's so much fun when you first fold it correctly and see... A JACKET!!! :cheering:

Doodknitwit
08-23-2007, 09:20 PM
ok i now see a jacket...:eyes:
cute. what stitch did you use to seam shoulders?? :blooby:

Jan in CA
08-23-2007, 09:53 PM
ok i now see a jacket...:eyes:
cute. what stitch did you use to seam shoulders?? :blooby:

I used an i-cord bind off, but I think on the next one I'll cast on invisibly and use a three needle bind off....if that would work..not sure yet.

Doodknitwit
08-24-2007, 05:23 PM
is there a video tutorial available? :hair:

newamy
08-24-2007, 06:31 PM
http://knittingatknoon.com/atticord.html

Yes, right here. It is done a bit differently than described in EZ's books but once you do this you can understand the variations better.

Jan in CA
08-24-2007, 07:41 PM
Here's photos of mine with the i-cord edge. No buttons yet.. oh and the blue one has longer sleeves.

newamy
08-24-2007, 07:52 PM
Those are cute!!
Did you pick up stitches for the longer sleeves?
In Garter stitch EZ recommends picking up from the purl bump side but I cannot decide which side that is in garter stitch. When I look at a long tail cast on I see a smooth running stitch looking side with purl bumps above and then a "wavy" side as I call it on the other. So I can't decide which side is the correct side to do this on.

Jan in CA
08-24-2007, 07:58 PM
Thanks! The side you pick up on will probably be determined by which side you ended on because one side is "knit" and one side will have "purl bumps". I picked up from the outside where my purl bumps were and you can't see any line other than that it's decreased. If you pick up on the wrong side it will show as two rows of knit so it's pretty obvious.

Doodknitwit
08-24-2007, 08:00 PM
here's mine I think...:shrug:

newamy
08-24-2007, 08:36 PM
That is darling!!

zip
08-24-2007, 08:51 PM
here's mine I think...:shrug:

So CUTE! precious buttons, too. How'd you seam it?

I covet your floor.

Doodknitwit
08-24-2007, 09:22 PM
So CUTE! precious buttons, too. How'd you seam it?

I covet your floor.

Thanks Zip..
I just caught the inside edge of each stitch and whipped t closed.. I want to add the icord edge to make it look neater.

:X: I've made two rib warmers and think I'll add the icord to at least one of those...

zip
08-24-2007, 09:29 PM
Thanks Zip..
I just caught the inside edge of each stitch and whipped t closed.. I want to add the icord edge to make it look neater.

:X: I've made two rib warmers and think I'll add the icord to at least one of those...

Earlier in this thread, Jan told us about a Schoolhouse Press (http://www.schoolhousepress.com/videos.htm) dvd that Meg made for the BSJ. It includes how to do the icord seam. I caved and ordered it a couple of days ago.

Doodknitwit
08-24-2007, 09:58 PM
cool let us know how easy it is after watching it...

newamy
08-24-2007, 11:23 PM
Okay all this jacket discussion has me excited. Here is another progress report on mine. I am having such fun with my stripes and color. It's like I'm doodling and making different patterns with the colors. Anyway I am to the point just before neck shaping begins. I have to work this weekend so may not get much more done in the next few days.

Thanks for looking.

Jan in CA
08-24-2007, 11:36 PM
That is so pretty, Amy!

LeslieRR
08-25-2007, 08:27 AM
Those colours are all great together!

GinnyG
08-27-2007, 09:42 AM
LOVE IT!

cowgirlknitter
08-31-2007, 04:15 PM
Hi Everyone!
Could someone tell me how to join the group on yahoo.groups for the EZ baby sweater? It says For Members ONLY ! and doesn't give anyplace to request to join it!
I absolutely love those colors you're using and it's so cute!Our family will welcome a new baby in March and I would love to knit one for him/her,(we don't know yet)!
I have already done circular knitting so am not worried about that.
Maybe I'll just order the pattern from schoolhouse press instead of joining another group!
Decisions decisions! LOL!
Cowgirlknitter:think:

newamy
08-31-2007, 07:37 PM
I think Jan knows how to join the group and previously posted. I just followed the pattern in the book The Opinionated Knitter which chronicals a lot of EZ's patterns. There was only one part I did different than instructed--but unless you were actually knitting it it might be hard to explain.
My jacket is actually done except for weaving the ends and seaming the shoulders. When I get that done I'll post a pic.

suzeeq
08-31-2007, 10:53 PM
I believe you need to email the owner; the address is given lower down on the page.

zip
08-31-2007, 11:24 PM
Hi Everyone!
Could someone tell me how to join the group on yahoo.groups for the EZ baby sweater? It says For Members ONLY ! and doesn't give anyplace to request to join it!
I absolutely love those colors you're using and it's so cute!Our family will welcome a new baby in March and I would love to knit one for him/her,(we don't know yet)!
I have already done circular knitting so am not worried about that.
Maybe I'll just order the pattern from schoolhouse press instead of joining another group!
Decisions decisions! LOL!
Cowgirlknitter:think:

The group leader's e-mail is on the home page of the yahoo group.

WRITE TO knitbabysurprise-owner@yahoogroups.com or http://groups.yahoo.com/group/babysurprise/

zkimom
09-01-2007, 08:56 AM
Dear Ones,

I haven't seamed my BSJ yet and I just watched the video of the Icord. Is there a way to make the Icord into a 3 needle bind off so I can close the seam at the same time?

Or would that be too bulky at the seams?

I was thinking I would pick up stitches all across the back on one needle and then the front stitches on another needle. Then I figure that when I have to knit the last Icord stitch with the next stitch on the needle, I pick up the stitch from the back needle at the same time. When I get to the neck edge I just work off the back needle and then when I get to the shoulder edge I add the stitches from the second needle.

Make sense?

Best,
Susan

newamy
09-01-2007, 10:17 AM
There are instructions for a 3 needle I- cord bind off in EZ's book Knitting Around. I am planiing ro try it on my BSJ but haven't done so yet. It's similar to a 3 needle bind off.
It says to put the front stitches on one needle, the back stitches on another and work from the Right side. Cast 3 stitches onto the third needle. Transfer to one of the needles holding the stitches- doesn't matter which needle. then *K2 of the I cord stitches, slip 1 K2 TOG - one from the front and one from the back needle- then PSSO. Then the 3 resulting stitches you slip back on to one of the needles and and repeat from *

My jacket is done except for this step- but I just got the Odd Ball charity blanket in the mail and I'm working on that!!

Jan in CA
09-01-2007, 12:08 PM
Meg Swansen explained it this way;

To join the shoulders with I-Cord:

Pick up sts from the original Cast On selvedge, from cuff to neck
edge -- (If you Cast On Invisibly, you will have raw sts ready to
slide onto the needle).
On another needle, pick up the same number of sts along the front
side of the sleeve/shoulder to the neck edge.
Line the 2 needles up, parallel to each other and hold them in your
left hand.
On a third needle, Cast On 2 I-Cord sts and hold it in your right hand.

Slide the 2 Cast On sts to one of the L needles and, with the empty
(third) needle:
*K1, slip 1(the second Cord st), K2 tog (one stitch each from front &
back needles), psso.
Replace the 2 sts to one of the L needles and repeat from *.

When you reach the neck edge, continue EZ's Applied I-Cord across the
neck-back (naturally, here you will have only 1 pick-up-needle on the
left).
At the other side of the neck edge, pick up sts from the front and
back of the second sleeve and repeat from * down to the second cuff
(continue I-Cord around the cuff, if you like).

FRONT: beginning at one side, where the neck edge meets the shoulder,
pick up sts from the selvedge and work Applied I-Cord around the neck
side (work extra, un-attached, I-Cord to turn a right-angle corner),
down the center-front, (another 90-degree corner), around the lower
edge of the body, up the other front and around the second curve of
the neck.

Meg
Schoolhouse Press

newamy
09-06-2007, 06:26 PM
I finished my jacket and posted pics on the whatcha knittin' page. This is a fun pattern. I want to make the adult version sometime.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?p=954541#post954541

zkimom
09-06-2007, 09:42 PM
Amy,

It's gorgeous!

I love the colors.

Best,
Susan

redheadrachel
09-16-2007, 01:53 PM
Bleh :( This is my first time doing something from Elizabeth Zimmerman, and I have to say that her instructions are quite confusing for me. I've only done eight rows so far, but I have no clue what she means by the increases (it says At five ridges, increase 9 sts...)
Row counts make much more sense to me... so, any help? Thanks so much!

ah
09-16-2007, 02:02 PM
A ridge usually means 2 rows of garter stitch.

redheadrachel
09-16-2007, 02:04 PM
So, go for ten rows? So like, I need to only do two more, then I do increases?

ah
09-16-2007, 02:21 PM
I don't have the pattern in front of me, but if it says do 5 ridges then increase I would do 10 rows then increase.

Jan in CA
09-16-2007, 05:48 PM
According to my instruction sheet it says this:
"Row 11: with B (K 3, M1) 9 times, K2, SK2P , K 76, SK2P, K2, (M1, K3) 9 X (154)"

Does that help? You might want to join the Yahoo group.. seriously. They have a day by day/row by row instruction sheet you can print out. Here's the information that they recently shared and an email to send your request to.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Email addy has spaces added..remove them to use the email address.

knitbabysurprise - owner @ yahoogroups . com

They should be prepared to include in their note something about their knitting skills and at least a slight knowledge of the Elizabeth Zimmermann patterns. A note of "I want to join your list" is going to slow down the process
because that means that I have to write back to them and ask questions why they want to join.

THE REASON THIS LIST IS CLOSED
This list is only closed to casual signing up. We are open and in business for serious knitters of EZ patterns.
We were getting several people on here that were just trying to steal patterns and make their own websites with our hard work. The list was closed to avoid that and as a screening process to keep those kinds of people off the
list. I don't like being the "knitting police" but it became necessary when someone lifted in its entirity the web site of one of our moderators.

We still add new members every week, and they've all passed the inquiry of why they want to be here and have proven themselves to be good members. It's a
little more work for me, but it makes for a tighter ship and that's what's necessary to keep a list running smoothly. If you've been to the home page at Yahoo recently and noticed the number of people on this list (1,300+) you would fully understand the necessity of having "invitation only" membership. It is almost impossible to manage that many people without having some pretty strict
rules in place. We do have a casual list, and any member is welcome to write anything they want through the list -- prayer requests are fine if you need
some moral support -- picture announcements of ANY pattern you have recently
completed are most welcome -- charity announcements like one sent recently are
fine, but please pass them by my eyes first before putting them on the list -- even "off topic" messages can be sent if they concern something that you feel
we all should know about. Please note in your subject line that it is "OT" when you write so those not interested can delete it. I do encourage private exchanges on the list as not everyone wants to read your private mail and it
clutters up the list for those that have limited computer time. All the email addresses are available in the "members" section at the home page at Yahoo.

Marilyn S.

zkimom
09-16-2007, 05:56 PM
Bleh :( This is my first time doing something from Elizabeth Zimmerman, and I have to say that her instructions are quite confusing for me. I've only done eight rows so far, but I have no clue what she means by the increases (it says At five ridges, increase 9 sts...)
Row counts make much more sense to me... so, any help? Thanks so much!

Rachel,

I used this helpful page (http://www.3gcs.com/adcock/free%20patterns/BSS%20Notes.htm) to get me through my first BSJ.

It's not as hard as it seems once broken down row by row.

Good luck!

Susan

Jan in CA
09-17-2007, 01:22 AM
I always forget about that one, Susan. I guess because I use the Yahoo group one. :shrug: