PDA

View Full Version : First Sock

JoeE
01-13-2007, 01:02 AM
I finished my first sock-like object. The ankle looks too small, but it's really stretchy, so it fits fine (K3P2 ribbing). I'm not happy with the pointy toe. This came from a pattern in "Knitting With Balls". I may not make the second sock, because I found the pattern difficult to follow--I'm pretty well convinced there was a problem in the heel turn instructions, because I finally had to just wing it to get it to come out right.

I'm still kind of proud of myself for actually making a sock, even though you can buy them for about 1/4th the cost of the yarn. I had some issues, of course, but I only picked up my first set DPNs about a week ago, so I'm pretty pleased with my progress. At least it *looks* like a sock, and I wasn't sure it would.

Jan in CA
01-13-2007, 02:06 AM
:cheering: It looks great!

auburnchick
01-13-2007, 02:22 AM
Way to go! :cheering:

want2knit
01-13-2007, 02:41 AM
Congratulations--your first sock!

Angelia
01-13-2007, 08:23 AM
:woot:

It looks great!! Congrats to you! :happydance:

zkimom
01-13-2007, 08:42 AM
Way to go! :cheering:

I didn't finish the mate to my first attempt at socks either. I frogged it and tried again. The second attempt came out much better -- I made a pair of socks instead of just a sock.

Here's to warm feet in the winter!

Best,
Susan

Ronda
01-13-2007, 08:57 AM
I'd frame it! :cheering:

psammeadred
01-13-2007, 12:24 PM
Wait until you've finished the other and are wearing them on an icy day - then you'll be hooked for sure!

sara_jayne
01-13-2007, 12:25 PM
Great job!! Sorry that you had problems with the pattern - maybe another one would be easier to understand? Socks are so addicting!

cheesiesmom
01-13-2007, 11:03 PM
Just before you graft the toe, when the stitches are on the two needles. At each end of both needles, with a spare needle pick up the first stitch and then pass the second stitch over it. (Sort of a decrease.) Do that at both ends of both needles. The toe will be less pointy.

mrs desert rain
01-13-2007, 11:28 PM
congrats!

and, if it's any consolation, i didn't finish the second sock in my first attempt. in fact, that lone sock is still in one piece, albeit tangled up in my stash boxes... :teehee:

Chrissie
01-13-2007, 11:38 PM
Woo hoo!!! looks great....I'm working on my third-ever sock now. My first pair don't look like the greatest socks in the world, but they are functional. It just gets easier and easier....

Lieke
01-14-2007, 04:24 AM
:cheering: your first sock :happydance:

Great job, now you'll be addicted

Chel
01-14-2007, 01:24 PM
Joe,
I never made a mate for my first sock either. I figured being the first one, if I made a mate for it then it would get worn and eventually worn out. I wanted it kept perfect like a trophy. :teehee:

By the way, BEAUTIFUL work. And if you are keen to try again-I couldn't recommend Silvers Sock Class more. Wonderful step by step instructions there. :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: