PDA

View Full Version : Why do I find Homespun so difficult to work with??

sewinhotmama23
01-13-2007, 03:57 PM
I love the way that some of the Bernat at my Walmart looks, but have tried and tried... and its just so hard for me to work with... Any tips?? I was trying to do a simple stockinette skinny scarf with size 8 bamboo... It just seems like my needles try to poke thru the individual strands... maybe I was knitting too tight?? I have a tendency to do that.

alicia
01-13-2007, 04:13 PM
Sorry~ Not a big fan of homespun~ I bought some to do a quickie baby blanket on 19 needles with 3 strands held together~ It was Awful! It kept splitting and wasn't laying right~ I frogged the thing like 6 times and then, I had enough!

So, I took it back! That's the only time I have ever returned a yarn!

Pretty colors though...

suzeeq
01-13-2007, 04:25 PM
Homespun by Lion can be difficult to work with; you have to watch that you're not just knitting the thread instead of the whole strand. It works much better on larger needles, btw, like size 11. 8s are much too small for it - it's a bulky/chunky yarn and the gauge uses size 10s.

sue

Jan in CA
01-13-2007, 04:39 PM
Bernat doesn't make homespun... :??

Lion Brand Homespun IS hard to work with and a lot of knitters don't care for it even though it does have pretty colors.

Personally I don't care to knit with any yarn that hides my stitches. I started knitting because I love the texture and fine stitch detail you get vs crochet which tends to look a lot the same and is much bulkier. :shrug:

KEDEK5
01-13-2007, 04:43 PM
Funny that this should post just after I washed my sons afghan I made him out of Homespun. As I was taking it out of the dryer I thought, I really need to make him a better afghan. This was one of my first projects, an afghan in his school colors, and I was so dissappointed in the yarn. After all the hours I put into what I thought would be a heirloom, it now looks like a cheap afghan. :-x I really need to make a new one for him.

Calamintha
01-13-2007, 04:51 PM
Yes, I had the same problem with Homespun. I made a chair throw out of it and each time I washed it it shed more and more until after about 4 or 5 washings there was so little left of it the cat didn't even want it! There is some bad Mojo connected with the yarn which is too bad because the colors are nice.

sewinhotmama23
01-13-2007, 04:57 PM
lol I guess I meant lion brand... Well Im glad that I asked, I was thinking of it for a throw for the living room... GORGEOUS colors are what attracted me to it.. needless to say, its going back..

suzeeq
01-13-2007, 05:08 PM
It's not really that bad, you just need to use large needles.

sue

aprilbetty
01-13-2007, 05:35 PM
I agree with all of the above! I printed out the instructions for the Lion Hooded Knitted Sweater (size 2 to XXXL) using Homespun yarn, planning to knit several different sizes. Fortunately, I first bought one skein to make a hat for my daughter. I could not even do a ribbed border with the yarn. I ended up making a perfectly plain hat and told her she could walk the dogs in it! See picture below. I am very happy I only bought one skein of Homespun. By the way, I enjoy working with other Lion brand yarns.

nadja la claire
01-13-2007, 06:33 PM
They seduce you with the pretty colors and the soft feel. I was lured into the Homespun web. I got 6 skeins of that stuff because I liked the color and it was deeply discounted. I wanted to love it, I tryed to love it but it just treated me so badly. Finally I decided that I was in a totally disfunctional relationship with this yarn so I said goodbye, packed it in a bag and gave it to a friend who got along great with it. She combined it with some other yarns and knitted 2 beautiful throws with it on speed stix. I think that's the secret to working with this yarn; combine it with other yarns and use gigantic needles.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

Cristy
01-13-2007, 08:15 PM
You have a hard time working w/ it b/c it stinks!!!

JoeE
01-13-2007, 08:22 PM
Ditto what everyone else said. I made two scarves with Homespun and assumed I was just never going to get the hang of knitting. It's pretty and soft, but it's no picnic to work with. On the plus side, it's pointless to do anything except garter stitch because "pretty" knitting won't really stand out--well maybe on bigger needles, I was using 10.5 needles for the scarves.

newamy
01-13-2007, 08:31 PM
Why do I find Homespun so difficult to work with??

Because lots of folks do. I have had moderate success with it but I don't like it. I have half a skein to use up...

Ingrid
01-13-2007, 08:36 PM

I was going to say, "You have a hard time working with it because it's crap!"
It just shows that Cristy has better manners than me. :teehee:

Cristy
01-13-2007, 08:39 PM

I was going to say, "You have a hard time working with it because it's crap!"
It just shows that Cristy has better manners than me. :teehee:

That's unusal...for me to have better manners than someone!! Perhaps it's the 4 year old in the room...

I really do think it stinks....and it seems like everyone in my snb likes it....they like good yarn too but they all LOVE homespun....makes me sick.

cheesiesmom
01-13-2007, 10:33 PM
Welcome to the "Hate Lion Brand Homespun" Club.

But...I did make a shawl out of a couple of skeins I had. It is soft and pretty, but not very warm and I wouldn't do anything too time-consuming with it. I've never wash the shawl, but can image it will probably grow to the size of a blanket. "It's alive, it's alive!!", Dr. Frankenstein.
:roflhard:

Jenelle
01-14-2007, 12:29 AM
I actually like working with it.. :hiding: :shifty:

sewinhotmama23
01-14-2007, 12:59 AM
Are all homespuns like this???SOO GLad to hear that its basically pointless to use it for a afghan... I had it to make a throw for myself and was thinking that if I liked it, I would also use it for one for my mom...

I also attribute my newly found manners to the children in the house, LMAO!

sewinhotmama23
01-14-2007, 01:02 AM

on anther board Im a member of we have a "throwing tomatoes" smiley... Im guessing it would come in handy on this board also, lol.. maybe you should just post your name and addy and we'll all send our un used homespun to you... along with rotten tomatoes...JK :hug:

madametj
01-14-2007, 01:05 AM

on anther board Im a member of we have a "throwing tomatoes" smiley... Im guessing it would come in handy on this board also, lol.. maybe you should just post your name and addy and we'll all send our un used homespun to you... along with rotten tomatoes...JK :hug:

or if she doesnt want it, u could send it to meeeeeee! :teehee: i dont have much yarn and i'm all for freebies. especially YARN freebies :rofl:

i'd rather be knitting
01-14-2007, 01:29 AM
One of the first projects I decided to do was a Homespun afghan from Lion Brand's website. I bought 15 skeins of it. After knitting six squares, I couldn't take it anymore. It was supposed to be a father's day present but I had to put it away for four months because I just couldn't stand to work with it anymore.
I ended up cramming it in the week before xmas, finishing it xmas eve.
It's now referred to as "Devil Yarn" at my house.
It really is too bad because like everyone else has said, the colors are great.

cookworm
01-14-2007, 01:49 AM
Homespun was one of the first yarns I learned to knit with, and it was a CHALLENGE! What I learned after having the yarn "worm" on me and not being able to put my needles in position to make the knit stitch because I knitted the boucle yarn too tightly, was to use larger needles (I typically use a size 13 needles with Homespun), but I also adjust my knitting tension to be looser than knitting with something like say worsted weight merino wool. I still occasionally use Homespun because I love the colors, but I'm finding after knitting with other yarns, I'm liking it less and less. It loses its loft after a few washes which is disappointing, although I haven't had a problem with it disintegrating in the wash or anything, and my stuff gets washed A LOT. One shawl I made out of it my toddler just adores because it's soft and cuddly, she's always wrapping herself up in it, calling it "my 'blanket' ", so I have to make her her very own Homespun blanket! :teehee: I've found it to be very warm and comfortable to wear next to the skin, and I can't say that about some acrylics out there (some feel downright scratchy to me). Here's a drop-stitch shawl with a crocheted edging that I finished using Homespun yarn--neither of which are very good pix considering I don't have any "models" to take pictures wearing it. The other picture is a detail of the yarn which isn't really an accurate depiction of the yarn (it looks almost fluorescent in the picture [I don't know why], but it isn't in real life).

I think what I like about the boucle yarns like Homespun is that their texture allows me to simply do knit stitches, which is not incredibly creative, but it's good for when you want to get a project done quickly (like maybe for a short-notice gift) without having to fuss over rows and rows of detailed patterns. I was able to knit many shawls using Homespun; some prayer shawls, and the induldgence of being able to simply do a knit stitch and concentrate on the prayer shawl aspect was really nice.

I'm working on a shawl now using Bernat's "Soft Boucle", and I have to say, the yarn is less lofty than Homespun, but I think it's just as much of a pain to use. But it is incredibly soft. I'll have to see how it washes up.

hunterjenn
01-14-2007, 01:51 AM
Oh, man--I did a whole hoodie sweater out of it, and didn't notice the difference in COLOR between skeins!! Either it said there wasn't a dye lot, or I had all the same lot--can't remember which, but there was a huge color shift on the back of my sweater and on one of my sleeves. :grrr: NOT cool!!

cookworm
01-14-2007, 10:00 AM
Oh, man--I did a whole hoodie sweater out of it, and didn't notice the difference in COLOR between skeins!! Either it said there wasn't a dye lot, or I had all the same lot--can't remember which, but there was a huge color shift on the back of my sweater and on one of my sleeves. :grrr: NOT cool!!

Jen, it's very possible you did purchase the same dye lot--I had this happen to me, too, and I'm fanatical about checking dye lots! I "eyeballed" two skeins in the store that were the same dye lot, but clearly were very different from each other with regards of tones of colors. I also had a skein that wasn't dyed thoroughly in the middle, and halfway through rolling it into a ball from the skein, I had to take it back to the store. :!!!: That stunk! But at least I wasn't mid-way through a project.

zip
01-14-2007, 12:38 PM
In October, Shandeh gave me some Homespun (as well as some good stuff.) Mom was with us when she did so, and commented, "Good. You can make me my Martha Stewart poncho."

I made it for her for Christmas, and vowed never to use it again. It creeps and gathers, no matter the tension. One side looks like a different dye lot in natural light but not in fluorescent light. I didn't even take a picture of it when I was finished, just shipped it out to Mom. I don't think she likes it, but I made her promise to wear it if I made it. :D

Homespun is the devil.

Jenelle
01-14-2007, 12:46 PM

:rofl:

kschmitz
01-14-2007, 01:21 PM
If it says anything about my feelings for Homespun, when I mentioned the title of this thread out loud, my DH said, "Because it's crap!" I guess he's heard that a time or two. :rofl:

aineepooh1
01-14-2007, 01:26 PM
Walmart does seel Bernat Softee Chunky.. but is a chunky yarn that should be use with a size 10 or larger needles.. maybe thats why you have been having difficuly.
also As stated earlier.. Homespun is a chunky yarn and you are using too small a needles that is adding to your frustration.. :wall:

Jan in CA
01-14-2007, 01:35 PM
Are all homespuns like this???

Nooooo... homespun can be used for yarn you spin at home as well. Or at least I've heard that before. We are talking specifically about Lion Brand Homespun..which is NOT made at home.

miccisue
01-14-2007, 02:09 PM
The only thing I"ve used Homespun for is Lion Brand's 6 hour afghan. You knit 4 strands at the same time on size 50 needles. For that project, I didn't find it bad to work with at all.....but then, with ginormous needles there's a heck of a difference.

I did find out from the afghan that I don't think I'd like it for a shawl or sweater because of the different "thicknesses" in the boucle. It's fine for a blanket (especially 'cause this one was one to be used as a lapghan just to snuggle under and keep warm on winter evenings), but I don't know about anything fancier. :shrug:

cookworm
01-14-2007, 03:26 PM
In October, Shandeh gave me some Homespun (as well as some good stuff.) Mom was with us when she did so, and commented, "Good. You can make me my Martha Stewart poncho."

Zip--may I ask what pattern you used for the poncho? Did you like it?

zip
01-14-2007, 03:53 PM

Zip--may I ask what pattern you used for the poncho? Did you like it?

Bernat (http://www.bernat.com/poncholikemarthas.php?PHPSESSID=). That page takes a long time to load, so be patient. The link to the pattern didn't work for me this morning; I can round up a direct link here somewhere if you like.

It was simple until it was time to attach the edging, which is wider than the bottom of the body. The neckline seems huge, but I didn't stitch it up any further because I'm smaller than Mom. I sent it to her along with some of the yarn and promised that Shandeh would stitch up the neckline a bit should she desire it. I haven't heard anything since then, so she may be letting the puppy sleep on it.

The pattern may work better with a Homespun other than Lion Brand. I'll never make it again because I think it's an ugly poncho.

suzeeq
01-14-2007, 04:41 PM
Homespun is Lion's name for this yarn. There are similar yarns, like RH Light and Lofty, that are fluffy, but none are called Homespun.

sue

zip
01-14-2007, 05:07 PM
Found it! (http://www.herrschners.com/pdfs/MatchMarthasPoncho.pdf) I knew it was a Herschnerr's url. Page 2 is the knit version. Page 3 is a matching hat in both crochet and knit.

It states Bernat Galaxy yarn. I suppose it's comparable to Lion Brand Homespun. :shrug:

suzeeq
01-14-2007, 05:30 PM
Galaxy isn't quite comparable to Homespun. It's much thicker, though it does have a thick and thin strand wrapped around a loose heavy strand, but it's not as hard to work with. It's here - http://www.bernat.com/product.php?LGC=galaxy&PHPSESSID=2cfd98e058276b06d48bee135cc44ad7

I crocheted a hat out of it, didn't have a lot of trouble with it.

sue

Shandeh
01-15-2007, 12:34 PM
Poor Zip! You were much braver than I could ever be. Mom kept asking for me to make that poncho, and I just told her, "I'm sorry, Mom. I HATE that pattern!"

I was SO relieved when you took the yarn and said you'd make the poncho. :woohoo:

Mom has called me already, asking me to fix the neckline. I was busy all last week, but I'll try to go by and get it this week. :wink:

Leaheliza
12-31-2010, 05:23 PM
I was just thinking I was a weirdo. I purchased some Lagoon colored homespun the other day (I friend requested this because the color was so beautiful) and began making simple k2p2 hat on my size 10 circular needles. I have started over 4 times because the ribbing looked bad, came loose, frayed, knotted up or some other tragedy. I immediately thought it was user error...I even went stitch by stitch for 3 rounds making sure I was knitting all of the yarn and that I was doing everything as I always would. And it still looks horrid! I can only imagine how dreadful it will look when washed.
I do both crochet and knit. And I LOVE lion brand! Nothing has beat wool ease in bulky, thick and quick and worsted weight for my dollar. I can see my stitches, it's super warm and not itchy. They knit and wash beautifully. And I love the Vannas choice yarn for fall and spring projects. But I do not love homespun. Nope nope nope. Loops and threads makes a knock off that is actually ok. It's called country loom. If you have a Michaels, try that one.
And THANK all of you for posting. I really had thought I'd gone crazy!

heathere
01-01-2011, 12:02 AM
Walmart does seel Bernat Softee Chunky.. but is a chunky yarn that should be use with a size 10 or larger needles.. maybe thats why you have been having difficuly.
also As stated earlier.. Homespun is a chunky yarn and you are using too small a needles that is adding to your frustration.. :wall:

I love, love, love Softee Chunky. I made my grandma a hat with it and then proceeded to make myself a hat, my SIL a hat and my niece a poncho. I also have a few skeins to make my niece a sweater for her birthday.

On the other side, I'm not a fan of Homespun. Before I learned my lesson, I made my SIL's gram and my niece hats with it. They both love them but I cringe every time I see them in use because the yarn just hasn't held up.

VintageAnn
01-01-2011, 07:29 AM
I chose homespun for my first project. A prayer shawl for a friend going through chemo. I prayed all right, mainly for patience. It turned out nice and now I am glad I picked a difficult yarn for my first project. I have since found "real yarn" which is heavenly and so nice to work with. I wouldn't ever recommend this yarn for anything that you wanted for a keepsake or special project.

RuthieinMaryland
01-01-2011, 05:41 PM
Hi! :waving:

When a first got back into knitting a few years ago I worked with Lion Brand Homespun to make a knited scarf. I knit with two strands (one from the center pull and one from the outside) and did all knit stitches across 12 stitches. I used size 15 plastic needles. One skein using the double thread made the perfect size scarf.

At first it felt awkward but once I got the hang of knitting very loosely with those honkin' big needles things went along very smoothly and I made a total of 17 scarves that year, for the whole family as well as friends and some folks in the community who needed some soft warmth! Everyone loved them and I've had requests for more each year.

Prior to that, I'd made two crochet afghans out of Homespun and they are both very warm and cozy, even after many washings. For those I used mostly single crochet with a single thread and a largish crochet needle. I did color blocks and the finished pieces were visually very appealing since Homespun has such gorgeous colors.

The trick of it is to do a tight crochet weave, nothing lacy, with a fairly large needle, and to work loosely.

I think if you get the right size needles and work the right denseness of texture, and work it loosely enough, you might find that Homespun is a pretty great yarn!

Or not........:)

Anyway, this peanut gallery member really likes homespun!

Happy knitting,
Ruthie :clink:

sgtpam
01-01-2011, 09:07 PM

Anyway, this peanut gallery member really likes homespun!

Happy knitting,
Ruthie :clink:

You are not alone, fellow peanut...:hug: I don't think we're the ONLY 2 who like it, Ruthie....but we certainly are the minority:teehee:; How can you not like how soft this is and, honestly, who could resist making another blanket with it when you get a reaction like this:hug:

Breezed
01-02-2011, 12:05 PM
I really enjoy using Homespun. My very first project was knit with Homespun because I didn't know the difference. It was quite frustrating and complicated at times because I didn't even know how to knit! I think this is why I don't have any of the problems now every one mentions because I conquered knitting & Homespun together.

knitcindy
01-02-2011, 11:04 PM
The only time I actually LIKE using LB Homespun is when I am using needles size 13 and over!!!

I have made afghans using 4 strands of Homespun together on size 50 needles and a lap blanket using 2 strands with size 19 needles.

My experience with Homespun is to use BIG needles with more than 1 strand. Anything else results in tangles or split yarn!!!

RuthieinMaryland
01-03-2011, 12:18 AM

FINALLY another knitter who really likes LB Homespun!!!!!! :woot: And who has a gorgeous little model for the afghan!

One of the two afghans I made (with crochet) was for my favorite cousin. He works long, long hours as a Physician's Assistant at Johns Hopkins and most nights in the winter when he gets home he's both tired and half frozen.

His mom told me that he just rolls up in that afghan and it's so cozy he warms up right away and really relaxes.

I kept the other one and consider it my "magic blanket". As soon as I put it over me I relax so completely that it's easy to just drift off to sleep. I've missed the middle of a lot of movies that way! :roflhard:

I share it with my husband sometimes. I made one for him out of Lion Brand chenille but he likes the homespun one best so we alternate!

Gals and guys, this is really a yarn you might want to try out again using the appropriate needles and working loosely. You might find you're missing out on a good thing!

Happy knitting,

Ruthie :hug:

PS - Lion Brand Yarn Company is NOT paying me for this endorsement! :)

fatoldladyinpjs
01-31-2011, 12:39 PM
I'm not a fan of homespun either. The few skeins I do have are either going to the thrift store donations or I'll knit cat blankets for my kitties to sleep on. They're the only ones who seem to like it.

Jan in CA
01-31-2011, 02:36 PM
How can you not like how soft this is and, honestly, who could resist making another blanket with it when you get a reaction like this:hug:

I DO like how soft it is, but I want my beautiful stitches and effort to show and they don't in Homespun. I also find it harder to knit with in general. I won't use it again.

Jaxhil
02-05-2011, 04:31 PM
Hmm, what an interesting thread! I personally have used Homespun for 3 afghans, and all 3 are *well* loved and have held up nicely for years. I made my 6'2" hubby one using a large basket-weave design with a garter stitch border with doubled yarn in a lovely woodsy brown shade ( I can't recall what color way) and he absolutely adores it. It literally took me over a year because it is HUGE and heavy, but its his favorite cuddle-up nap blankie..and when I'm really cold its also my favorite :wink:. I also crocheted one in green shades (it was "Crochet a Cozy Afghan" from the Complete Idiot's Guide to Knitting and Crocheting) using triple strands of Homespun and a GIANT size Q hook that only took like 4 days to finish~gotta love that! And my sister does-she says her and DH fight over it, lol! And finally I made a garter stitch square afghan for my DD using country red (I so love that color!) and it is soft and lovely.

I also made DSis a scarf from it in red and she was wearing it the last time she came for a visit and said how much she likes it.

So although I can't say I love this yarn, I do really like it for certain things, and the receipiants seem to like it as well. My Mom has used it to make afghans for me ( a log cabin with all the leftover and orphan colors I had in my stash and was wanting to use up) and my DD (same colors different pattern) as well as afghans for 2 of my sons.

I can't say that I'll go out of my way to buy it again, but I don't really have trouble with it, as long as I use big needles and weave in those ends for about 2 miles :teehee: