PDA

View Full Version : Yarn Stores in the Louisville, KY Area?

mornnen
01-13-2007, 07:57 PM
Hi All--

I am going to be going on a "working" vacation in Louisville, KY in June, to grade AP Psych exams for ETS for about a week. As one who likes to plan ahead, I thought I would ask y'all if there are any good yarn stores. And are any open past 5/6pm?

Thanks in advance!

JoeE
01-13-2007, 08:13 PM
I know of one. The Knit Nook is in the Highlands neighborhood in Louisville. Here's their website: www.knitnook.com . It's the only yarn store I've ever been in, so I don't have anything to compare it to.

My initial reaction is that it was small and crowded. It had less yarn than I expected. It was better quality than Hobby Lobby, but fewer choices for color, texture, etc. I was also bummed out that no one seemed to work there--I waited about five minutes at the cash register to pay for some DPNs. Maybe that's because I'm a guy. I hate to judge it by one trip, so I'm sure I'll go back when I want some really nice yarn. Kind of disappointing that a city the size of Louisville has limited choices for knitting supplies.

Chrissie
01-13-2007, 11:11 PM
Hi there....The Knit Nook on Bardstown Road is a fun and friendly place....I like it a lot. (Probably because I live only a 10-min walk from there and I can get a quick yarn fix) A mother and daughter own it together, and there are lots of people hanging around knitting on Saturdays. They usually close at 6, but are open until 9 on Thursdays for a SnB. :heart:

The only other yarn store I've been to in Louisville is Dee's Craft store in the eastern part of town in St. Matthews....It's off the Shelbyville Road exit on 264. This store has all kinds of crafty things, but it is more upscale than Micheals or Hobby Lobby. They have a great variety of yarns, from Caron Simply Soft all the way up to Debbie Bliss Pure Cashmere. The yarn lady who works in that dept isn't as friendly as the Knit Nook people, though.

There are other yarn shops in town....I haven't ventured out to them all. There is Sophie's Fine Yarn Shoppe www.sophiesfineyarn.com
that is WAY out on the East end.....like 15 miles from downtown. The website shows that they have nice yarn, though...I may have to make the trek out there someday. Another East End shop is Carma Needlecraft and Yarn.