PDA

View Full Version : OT: boycotting school tomorrow (update, pg 3)

madametj
01-14-2007, 04:02 PM
Does anyone else have to go to work/school on Martin Luther King Day tomorrow? My stuupid school is having a 1/2 day, but me and several of my friends won't be showing up. It was actually my parents' idea. They were like "You have school on Martin Luther King Day? Oh, you won't be going."

HamaLee
01-14-2007, 04:09 PM
Well it's a state holiday not a federal one--so whether or not it's observed is on a state by state basis. The state where I work celebrates it (MA) and I technically work for the state, so I have it off. (We also get Patriot's Day off in April...hehehe...I think it's just MA and ME that celebrate it). But my friend works just over the border in NH and he's gotta work tomorrow. To a certain extent: Whaddaya gonna do? :shrug:

Cristy
01-14-2007, 04:12 PM
I live in GA so we certainly celebrate it! :) And I work for the school system so no work for me! YAY!

Feel free to protest if your parents are in agreement but like Hamma said...it's not a federal holiday....laws are laws.

madametj
01-14-2007, 04:15 PM
well, nobody's going on "strike" and marching around with signs or anything.

we're just, um, y'know, not showing up :shifty:

Cristy
01-14-2007, 04:17 PM
I get it--I did plenty of boycotting during my days in school!! :) Have fun!

Stiney
01-14-2007, 04:18 PM
Well it's a state holiday not a federal one--so whether or not it's observed is on a state by state basis. The state where I work celebrates it (MA) and I technically work for the state, so I have it off. (We also get Patriot's Day off in April...hehehe...I think it's just MA and ME that celebrate it). But my friend works just over the border in NH and he's gotta work tomorrow. To a certain extent: Whaddaya gonna do? :shrug:

I'm off. My mom is crazy jealous. :teehee:

And by "Patriot's Day" don't you mean "Marathon Monday"? :rofl:

Man, I miss those days...my apartment at school was one block up from Beacon. I'm getting all nostalgic now. I'm gonna go cry and console myself with the fact that at least in NJ, people knowh which baseball team to root for. :rofl:

Madametj, I never had off for Martin Luther King Day when I was in school in NJ--it was a school-to-school decision, not a state-wide thing. :shrug: The school's rationale was that no one would be "commemorating" MLK if they were off--they'd all be sleeping in and being lazy. This way, you could at least do something MLK-related in class. (I'm pretty sure we didn't do anything in class, either. Too much history to move through to prepare fo the AP)

puppyluv
01-14-2007, 04:19 PM
I am in Minnesota and as far as work force, federal and financial institutions get the day off.
Schools are also closed.
While it may seem unfair and wrong for your school to be in session, you'll only be behind in your classes if you skip out on it.

I work retail. We are open MLK day. I also work on New year's day, 4th of July, Labor day, Memorial day, and Easter.
We are closed 2 days a YEAR: Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Stiney
01-14-2007, 04:24 PM
I am in Minnesota and as far as work force, federal and financial institutions get the day off.
Schools are also closed.
While it may seem unfair and wrong for your school to be in session, you'll only be behind in your classes if you skip out on it.

I work retail. We are open MLK day. I also work on New year's day, 4th of July, Labor day, Memorial day, and Easter.
We are closed 2 days a YEAR: Thanksgiving and Christmas.

That's how Barnes & Noble was. I worked Black Friday, Christmas Eve, day after Christmas (those last two were 6 am-2:30 :passedout: ), Fourth of July, Memorial Day, Labor Day, New Year's Eve, New Year's Day, and Easter (don't celebrate, so I didn't care.) You would not believe how many people came in with returns on Easter morning.

madametj
01-14-2007, 04:31 PM

Actually my school is set up in a work-at-your-on-pace kind of curriculum. We can go ahead in our schoolwork if we want to (but "work at your own pace" doesnt mean that you can fall behind :teehee: ) and i've already done most of Monday's work, and will be finishing the rest today :).

HamaLee
01-14-2007, 04:37 PM
And by "Patriot's Day" don't you mean "Marathon Monday"? :rofl:

As a matter of fact, yes I do! :rofl: :roflhard:

jodstr2
01-14-2007, 04:40 PM
my work is open, but my stepkid's school is closed. so I'm working from home tomorrow.

it's NOT a federal holiday? so then there's mail, and the banks are open?

suzeeq
01-14-2007, 04:47 PM
It is a federal holiday in that banks and PO are closed, along with federal offices and other government offices in many states. But states decide which holidays schools are to stay open and I think it's a good thing to have school. It an opportunity to discuss things like civil rights (for *all* races and religions) and other reasons we should remember MLK Jr.

sue

CarmenIbanez
01-14-2007, 04:53 PM
I work in a private school. We have school on Veteran's Day because apparently it is very important for the kids to stay and learn all about military service and war time sacrifice. And I love service to country, so don't get me wrong, I'm not upset we do that, I think it is awesome. But we have MLK, Jr. day off. HMMMMMMMMM......

bailsmom
01-14-2007, 05:14 PM
I must add that I can't believe that the kids have all these extra days off. When I went to school, which wasn't that long ago (okay its been over a decade, but still) we never had any of those days off. We only had the major holiday's off.

None of this Veteran's day, MLK day and Columbus day?? That's crazy. Why do they need those days off anyway? I'm all for educating our kids on what these people have done to make the world a better place, but where do they draw the line?

(just my opinion, this is not meant to offend anyone and if you are, then oops :teehee: )

Jess_knit
01-14-2007, 05:18 PM
Kids in my school have tomorrow off, but teachers have an in-service day. (They're required to have so many a year, so I guess they just pick the ones that also happen to be little holidays and take them off. Lucky for us! :teehee:)

CateKnits
01-14-2007, 05:20 PM
When I'm home, I work in a hospital. We work all days, obviously, unless you're HR or something. Even then, we only have six days that count as holidays: Christmas, Thanksgiving, New Year's Day, Fourth of July, Memorial Day, and Labor Day.
My school is a private university. We don't have any of the Monday holidays off. We get a break for Thanksgiving and one for Christmas. No time for Easter, either.

Stiney
01-14-2007, 05:57 PM
I must add that I can't believe that the kids have all these extra days off. When I went to school, which wasn't that long ago (okay its been over a decade, but still) we never had any of those days off. We only had the major holiday's off.

None of this Veteran's day, MLK day and Columbus day?? That's crazy. Why do they need those days off anyway? I'm all for educating our kids on what these people have done to make the world a better place, but where do they draw the line?

(just my opinion, this is not meant to offend anyone and if you are, then oops :teehee: )

This all varies not only state-to-state, but school district-to-school-district.

I can guarantee you that 10 years ago, New York had off for Martin Luther King Day, and that Hackensack, NJ had off--but Northvale, New Jersey was in school. :wall:

auburnchick
01-14-2007, 06:45 PM
When I used to live in south FL, the school district would alternate between having MLK and President's Day off. One year one holiday, the next year the other holiday.

I would go to school out of respect for the rules. But, not being afraid to speak my mind, I would write a letter to the district. You could even create a petition that is worded in very mature language. Who knows...maybe next year...

psammeadred
01-14-2007, 07:38 PM
I work at a college, and we get MLK Day off. Of course, we've also got 4 solid inches of ice outside. Why did the ice storm have to come over the three-day weekend?

melissa.atkins
01-14-2007, 07:42 PM
I work in a bank and all the branches are closed except for those that are inside stores... which is where I work... :( The good part is that I will get one extra day during the year for all those holidays that we miss for being inside a grocery store...

Eloewien
01-15-2007, 12:10 PM
I work in a callcenter... it's open 365 days a year. If you're normal schedule falls on a holiday- you work. End of story. Such is life...

jodstr2
01-15-2007, 12:17 PM
It is a federal holiday in that banks and PO are closed, along with federal offices and other government offices in many states.

ah. thanks! :thumbsup:

msoebel
01-15-2007, 12:21 PM
I work for a state university...and even though we got 7 inches of snow last night (our second snowfall for the whole winter...WEIRD MICHIGAN WEATHER), we are still open today. BAH!

The school district in our town had the holiday off...but none of the surrounding towns did. The high schoolers in town were very, very cocky...until this morning, when the storm hit and everyone else got a free snow day!

Misty

msoebel
01-15-2007, 12:22 PM
I work for a state university...and even though we got 7 inches of snow last night (our second snowfall for the whole winter...WEIRD MICHIGAN WEATHER), we are still open today. BAH!

The school district in our town had the holiday off...but none of the surrounding towns did. The high schoolers in town were very, very cocky...until this morning, when the storm hit and everyone else got a free snow day!

Misty

msoebel
01-15-2007, 12:23 PM

Misty

SabrinaJL
01-15-2007, 01:11 PM
My daughter had to go today. I think that has more to do with the fact that they only go to school Mon-Thurs. I guess the school figures they already have enough time off. She did get to go in 2 hours late, but that had to do with the ice, not the holiday.

madametj
01-15-2007, 01:35 PM
school is almost over, and i will be calling people soon to see who really didnt go. i know for a fact a couple ppl said they had to go cuz their parents didnt approve, so there will be witnesses as to who is telling the truth :teehee:

feministmama
01-15-2007, 06:24 PM
No school in Portland Oregon. That's so cool that you feel empowered to do smething you beilieve in. Yeah you! :cheering:

ecb
01-15-2007, 08:47 PM
I always told my kids that if they desperatly needed MLKj day off, they better take it off to work on making Civil Rights better for all people

Other than that they do not Skip school for anything other than a truely good reason

ecb

cheesiesmom
01-15-2007, 08:56 PM
Ok, It's the end of MLK day and Federal offices were closed; State of Michigan offices were closed; SOME county offices were closed, i.e, Macomb, Wayne. I think it depends on how "black" the community is. (Please don't misinterpret!)

Personally, I have no problem with MLK day. I think he was a great man and deserves the recognition. Although people in our very "white," very "racist" county think that a day to honor MLK is awful. (What no Ronald Regan Day???)

So depending on the ethnic make up of the community things were closed or open.

The county office, including the courts, were closed. If you live, go to school, work in Wayne County (Detroit) offices were closed. I work for attorneys and as usual, if the courts are closed, we're open. It's a "catch up" day for law offices. Most of them were open in my community. We represemt municipalitities and most of them were open. We don't have ethnic populations to celebrate the life of a great, albeit non-causasian man.

And if you live in SE Michigan, MLK day is a good opportunity to go to the North American International Auto Show. (And maybe buy an American made car. We really need the help here, guys!) They're showing some awesome vehicles.

Michigan's economy is so bad...I own a Toyota, but am encouraging everyone else to buy American.

I'm a terrible person, but I love, love, love my Toyotas. And have done so for 16 years. What can I say? I'm terrible.

Stiney
01-15-2007, 09:05 PM
(And maybe buy an American made car. We really need the help here, guys!) They're showing some awesome vehicles.

Michigan's economy is so bad...I own a Toyota, but am encouraging everyone else to buy American.

I'm a terrible person, but I love, love, love my Toyotas. And have done so for 16 years. What can I say? I'm terrible.

I love my Toyota, too. I'll buy American when they start building them like the Japanese. Sorry. :pout:

janelanespaintbrush
01-15-2007, 09:46 PM

Don't feel bad about that. Toyotas are great cars, and from what I understand, the ones that are sold in the US are manufactured here, so buying Toyota actually means supporting American jobs. Plus, this is a market economy -- competition is supposed to be good -- at least theoretically, it forces companies to continually improve their products to keep consumers happy. In some respect, being "patriotic" and buying what you consider to be a lesser product just because it's made in the US would be un-American!

cindyln
01-15-2007, 10:40 PM
Feel free to protest if your parents are in agreement but like Hamma said...it's not a federal holiday....laws are laws.

It is a federal holiday. I work for the US Army and all government offices were closed today.

cheesiesmom
01-15-2007, 10:48 PM
Yeah, but I live in the heart of where american autos have always been made. Beside, our economy sucks. Everybody under 30 is leaving to go someplace more profitable, including my kid. I know what used to be the big three wants to be successfull and we really need it herein Mich, but my Toyota (every three years since 1990) is the best.

madametj
01-16-2007, 08:14 PM
FYI: at school today i found out that only out of the 42 students in my homeroom, only 16 showed up yesterday.

i guess more people felt the same way as me than i thought.