PDA

View Full Version : OT: Favorite Feel-Good Foods

RooGirl
01-14-2007, 06:50 PM
I've been fighting off a cold for about two days now and just sat down with a cup of Blueberry tea and some air-popped popcorn. That got me thinking about comfort food and things that always sound good even when nothing else does.

Anyone have anything that is an immediate go-to as soon as you're feeling blah?

aethra
01-14-2007, 07:02 PM
Blueberry tea sounds really nice! I tend to go for the herbal teas, my 'comfort tea' is Camomile, honey & vanilla - although anything with honey and/or vanilla will do. Yay hot cups of tea! You might want to try a little honey in your tea if you don't already, I think it's supposed to be good for colds.

Hope you feel better soon ... and try not to drop any stitches if you sneeze unexpectedly!

Cristy
01-14-2007, 07:08 PM
fruit snacks or vanilla ice cream. I had a cup of peach tea earlier and it was really good (well, except for when I spilled it on my clean white t-shirt). Blueberry tea does sound nice...

psammeadred
01-14-2007, 07:09 PM
Kozy Shack Rice Pudding is the best! I've tried making it at home, but I can never get the rice creamy enough.

Hot chocolate, chai tea, creamy pumpkin soup, and homemade baked goods are my comfort foods.

nadja la claire
01-14-2007, 07:11 PM
I like a nice jasmine or green tea with nothing in it. As far as food is concerned I love my homemade matza ball soup if I'm sick. If I'm just kind of feeling down it's gotta be my fried chicken w/collards, blackeyed peas and corn bread. YUUUUUUUMMMMMMY!!!!!!! Oh man, I think I feel the blues coming on.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

RooGirl
01-15-2007, 02:51 PM
Still feeling under the weather and all I can think about is how great some extra cheesey mac'n'cheese would taste right now.

jmp3775
01-15-2007, 03:11 PM
Mac n Chz is mine!

Knitting_Guy
01-15-2007, 03:41 PM
Pizza and beer :cheering:

DreamWeaver
01-15-2007, 03:47 PM
When I have a cold I like to have ramen (you know, the kind that comes in a packet and you cook in boiling water). When I have a cold I like the chicken kind, because it has the same property as chicken noodle soup.

Hope you feel better soon! :hug:

brendajos
01-15-2007, 03:52 PM
Tuna and Noodles. Cheesy Hashbrowns. Cheetos. Blue Corn chips and black bean dip.

not all at the same time of course....but what a happy meal that would be!

cara
01-15-2007, 03:55 PM
Pizza and beer :cheering:

Word to THAT!

I also fall back on my favorite.. a big glass of milk!

Krystal
01-15-2007, 05:00 PM
When I have a cold I like to have ramen (you know, the kind that comes in a packet and you cook in boiling water). When I have a cold I like the chicken kind, because it has the same property as chicken noodle soup.

Hope you feel better soon! :hug:

me too!

The second i feel a tich too warm to touch and chilled to the bone, I just wanna curl up with some yummy chicken ramen and Orange Pekoe tea... my fave. No milk, 2 sugars.

Depending on the mood, I enjoy the ramen without water... I boil the noodles first, but discard the water and eat the noodles with about half the packet of seasoning... so yummy...

mmm...

but everyday comfort foods Hot Chocolate, Chocolate Milk, Cadbury anything! Especially creme eggs and caramilk bars!

I'm a huge choco holic, but I also looooove me some salsa!! mmm...

Cristy
01-15-2007, 05:14 PM
I made homemade potato soup today for lunch (I needed some comfort food b/c I could use the forum!!! LOL!!) and I thought of this thread...I Love POTATO SOUP!!! (topped w/ cheese of course)

Yvonne
01-15-2007, 05:20 PM
Cheesecake for bad mood.
Lipton noodle soup for a cold.

orcoastknitter
01-15-2007, 05:22 PM
Depending on the mood, I enjoy the ramen without water... I boil the noodles first, but discard the water and eat the noodles with about half the packet of seasoning... so yummy...

I do the same thing!

When I am feeling sick I love Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup with cinnamon toast. I know it's a crazy combo but I just love it. Of course, I love toast in general.

My favorite comfort foods: chicken fried steak with country gravy and smashed potatoes, my mom's chicken cacciatore with polenta, hot buttered popcorn, salami and monterey jack cheese with warm french bread, ravioli's from my favorite deli in California, pepperoni pizza.... I could go on forever!

auburnchick
01-15-2007, 06:09 PM
When I'm not feeling good - Chicken Noodle Soup.

When I need a pick-me-up -- Chocolate
If I'm running errands, I like to go by my local health food store and pick up a Creme Soda. Yum!

All around favorite: Chicken and Dumplins and greens (can you say Cracker Barrel???).

Basically anything I don't have to cook rocks my boat. :thumbsup:

jodstr2
01-15-2007, 06:35 PM
my mom's chicken dumpling soup.
Sapporo Ichiban ramen.
spaetzle with mushroom gravy.
bread pudding.
S&S saimin.
aglio e olio.
killer bread.
pho.
buttermilk biscuits with butter and honey.
kook soo (I'm making this tonight for dinner).

figaro
01-15-2007, 07:29 PM
I can't believe no one said meatloaf, mashed potatoes and green beans! And this is a weird one but I really miss a fried bean burrito with a vanilla milkshake to dip the burrito in, that takes me back to when I was probably 9 or 10! Yum! and now I need to find me one...

Jackie M.
01-15-2007, 08:04 PM
And this is a weird one but I really miss a fried bean burrito with a vanilla milkshake to dip the burrito in, that takes me back to when I was probably 9 or 10! Yum! and now I need to find me one...

:ick:
Sorry, that one surprised me.

cheesiesmom
01-15-2007, 09:04 PM
Real, honest to god, homemade chicken rice soup. I LOVE homemade chidken soup. It'll turn the worse day to sunshine.

ebrperk
01-15-2007, 09:26 PM
My comfort food is Macaroni and Tomato soup. Yummy. I also need chocolate.

figaro
01-15-2007, 09:35 PM
Jackie, I know it sounds weird but it is so good :drool: , especially when the burrito is still hot, oh and I forgot to mention the fries also go with that. Nevermind the ketchup, I have the milkshake. (I really need to find me a hole in the wall place that still fries the burritos!)

CateKnits
01-15-2007, 09:46 PM
Ohhh, home cooking! My comfort foods are Dad's mac and cheese (especially when he makes it especially for me, so it's a little lighter on the cheese and garlicky and spicy :drooling: ) or corned beef (with mustard!) and cabbage.

mari_13
01-15-2007, 09:58 PM
Cookies! When I'm having a really hard time in life...I bake and overdose on cookies!

When I'm sick...Lipton chicken noodle soup.

Mari

Jeremy
01-15-2007, 10:09 PM
Peanut butter or chocolate or peanut butter and chocolate. That pretty much does it.

ecb
01-15-2007, 10:34 PM
why has no one said non american foods

Vietnamese Sweet hot and sour shrimp soup

its made with pineapple, tomatoes, bean sprouts, etc
very good and good for you

it Cures me everytime i get it when I M sick

ecb

cookworm
01-15-2007, 10:36 PM
fruit snacks or vanilla ice cream.

Ice cream makes everything better!!!! :cheering:

Homemade soup, good quality ice cream, popcorn...I can't think of anything unique that nobody else hasn't mentioned! :teehee: (great minds think alike!)

Hope you feel better soon, Roo! :hug: What kind of blueberry tea do you like? I bought one brand before and it was kind of like drinking Kool-Aid! :ick:

brendajos
01-15-2007, 10:42 PM

Vietnamese Sweet hot and sour shrimp soup

its made with pineapple, tomatoes, bean sprouts, etc
very good and good for you

it Cures me everytime i get it when I M sick

ecb

my momma didn't feed me "non-american foods" and when i want something in the comfort food area, i go with the stuff my momma fed me!

Jenelle
01-15-2007, 10:45 PM
Ham pot pie.. Dippy Eggs.. Hot cup of coffee.. Cinnamon sugar toast.

Mmmm!

janelanespaintbrush
01-15-2007, 11:01 PM
Gosh, some of you eat really rich foods when you're sick. I usually go for stuff that goes down easy -- like ice cream! :teehee: Nah, just kidding. ;) I usually eat what my body tells me it wants because I figure it knows what I need. If it's a cold, it could be anything, though hot soups and teas are nice, for obvious reasons. Oooh, hot apple cider too. If I have a headache and ibuprofen doesn't work, a rootbeer float can sometimes work wonders, and I always go for gingerale if I have the faintest bit of nausea.

CateKnits
01-15-2007, 11:08 PM
Thinking about it, when I get a cold or my allergies get really bad, about the only thing I want to eat is spicy pickles or salt and vinegar chips because they're not gonna taste like snot, no matter how much of it is floating around my head. :roflhard:

RooGirl
01-16-2007, 01:08 AM
Grilled Cheese... Mmmmmmmm.

Why is it cheese seems to work in any form? :teehee:

ambernowknits
01-16-2007, 01:15 AM
Well, when I start feeling sick, I drink a lot of tea. When it's just feeling blah, I go for chinese food. For my rather common headaches, it's a bottle of something caffeinated and something chocolate.

Oh! And at any time I'm feeling less than 100%, I have to have some of my gran's homemade soup and watch old western movies. Especially Clint Eastwood movies. That's my cure of choice for what ails me.

jodstr2
01-16-2007, 12:27 PM

I think some of mine are non-American...?

brendajos
01-16-2007, 12:32 PM

I would rather chop off my right arm (yeah for being left handed! :happydance:) than ever eat a cheese sandwich! i never have understood the attraction, though I gather I am about the only one who doesn't...lol

(okay i would eat one before chopping off my arm, but only because it is more convenient! :shifty:)

DianaM
01-17-2007, 04:12 AM
Mexican Chicken Soup.
Homemade Mexican food.

janelanespaintbrush
01-17-2007, 06:18 AM
I would rather chop off my right arm (yeah for being left handed! :happydance:) than ever eat a cheese sandwich! i never have understood the attraction, though I gather I am about the only one who doesn't...lol

I'm not usually a fan of cheese in sandwiches, but grilled cheese is an exception (as are reubens). A few generous slabs of medium cheddar with thinly sliced tomatoes so hits the spot sometimes. Of course it must be on sourdough, and fried in butter. And accompanied by a good bowl of soup. Mmmmmm... I'm getting hungry. :teehee:

PurpleMittens
01-17-2007, 06:53 AM
I am no fan of cheese, with the excpetion of hard white ones like parmesan. About the only way I can tolerate a grilled cheese sandiwhc is if I have some really good soup to frown it in, thus more or less masking the taste of the grilled cheese, hehe.

My best comfort food is some good lentil soup and hearty bread.

nadja la claire
01-17-2007, 09:10 AM

OOOO yah!!!!! I love grilled cheese with tomato soup ..... Mmmmmmmmmmmm

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

Kaydee
01-17-2007, 11:41 AM
I'm with the grilled cheese too, yummy! I also really like saltines and either hot chocolate or diet coke, I'm really not sure what it is there but the combo of salty and sweet is so good.

msoebel
01-17-2007, 01:14 PM
Grilled cheese sandwich with Campbell's Vegetable Soup (the kind with the alphabet noodles) ALWAYS makes me feel better.

Other comfort foods:
-Brownies
-Spaghetti-Os
-Apples and peanut butter
-Mashed potato sandwiches
-Loaded Baked potatoes (with chilli, cheese and sour cream)
-Nachos
-Quesadillas

Honestly, when I think of comfort foods, I think of things are that quick to prepare and don't require a lot of thinking. How do I not weigh 700 lbs?:?? I LOVE food.

Misty

KathyinCali
01-17-2007, 01:26 PM
I'm a healthy eater BUT when I'm down sick I eat canned Chef Boyardee (sp?) Spagetti and meatballs with a toasted muffin slathered with peanut butter :eyebrow: