PDA

View Full Version : OT: Tea suggestions...

Cristy
01-14-2007, 07:30 PM
I'm a tea fanatic but not necessarily a connoisseur. I love loose teas but don't have a lot of good places nearby to purchase them. I am pregnant and about to begin nursing for at least the next year or so. Does anyone have an tea suggestions for me? It needs to be caffeine free or at least decaf...I don't care for chamomile so much--I drink it when I need to sleep so I think I associate it w/ sleepy time. I want a good wake up or day time tea.

melissa.atkins
01-14-2007, 07:40 PM
I love tea!! I used to drink chamonille everyday at night, now I dont drink it too much, I think I got tired of it.
I have found many flavours that I like... Lavender, its the best!! I love mint, oregano and jasmine tea too.
Looking online I found this website, http://www.dragonwater.com/search.tf/tea/ I can't imagine how crazy my cats would go if I try "catnip" tea!!! :?? [/list]

psammeadred
01-14-2007, 07:41 PM
Republic of Tea makes lots of great blends. I recommend Orange Ginger Mint (caffeine free) and Blackberry Sage.

Cristy
01-14-2007, 07:46 PM
Thanks Melissa---what made me most nervous was that yesterday a "member" of my snb (it's someone who has joined our yahoo group--never attends but always has something to say in reference to our posts...) posted that I should look up how to make a tea of parsley b/c it'll make me go into labor. A parsley tea doesn't sound at all appetizing and I wasn't looking for a way to go into labor per se!!! It made me nervous b/c I thought that maybe I should look more carefully at the contents of the herbals I drink... :shrug:

Cristy
01-14-2007, 07:46 PM
Republic of Tea makes lots of great blends. I recommend Orange Ginger Mint (caffeine free) and Blackberry Sage.

blackberry sage sounds nice!!!

melissa.atkins
01-14-2007, 07:48 PM
Cristy,
I am sure there are many teas that might cause different reactions when we are pregnant, that is why I have only tried those that are known to be harmless... I read in a pregnancy book that there is one particular one that might cause a miscarriage... I will look it up and give you the name...

jolenel
01-14-2007, 07:53 PM
I don't drink much non-caffeinated tea except for chamomile, but my roommate loves hibiscus tea blends. I'm not sure what brand she normally buys, but I got her some of http://www.peets.com/shop/tea_detail.asp?id=888&cid=2008 one time, and she said it was similar to her normal blend.

SandraEllen
01-15-2007, 12:18 PM
I'm not a tea expert, but here's one of my favorites for drinking at work.
decaf mint green tea (http://www.celestialseasonings.com/products/green-teas/decaf-mint.html)

janelanespaintbrush
01-15-2007, 12:32 PM
Adagio (http://www.adagio.com/) has amazing teas of just about every variety you can imagine, and exceptional customer service to boot. You don't know what you've been missing until you've tried the good stuff. Really. Their starter set is a terrific value -- comes with a nifty teapot and 4 sample tins (makes about 10 cups each). They've got tons of customer reviews to help guide your decisions, and their (previously mentioned) sample tins (usually about $2 each if purchased individually) are a great way to try different flavors. You might want to consult their live help to ask for specific recommendations for pregnancy. Shipping is fast and very reasonable, and everything is beautifully packaged. I can't recommend them more highly. They make good tea an affordable luxury.

iza
01-15-2007, 12:35 PM
I have a good suggestion for you: Rooibos (some people call it red tea). It's a plant from Africa and they use it exactly like loose black tea, however there is no caffeine in it. It tastes delicious, and you can get it with different flavours added to it. I have one at home with dried berries and it is YUMMY. It would be very good with warm milk, too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rooibos

I think your best bet however is to go to a good tea house and ask about tea and pregnancy. In good stores they will know everything about it and I'm sure they will be happy to answer your questions.

niffer
01-15-2007, 01:19 PM
Chai Tea is OK for pregnancy I believe - its a milk tea so its probably quite good for you too.

You can get it in spiced (cinnamonny flavour) or vanilla - I love the spiced.

Yum Yum.

Jan in CA
01-15-2007, 02:05 PM
I've only had Adagio White Teas, but they were yummy!! :heart:

RooGirl
01-15-2007, 02:52 PM
I recently bought Blueberry tea and it's super yummy and wonderful!

projectgal
01-15-2007, 03:20 PM
I prefer my blueberry tea iced. Just a warning-when you add milk to blueberry tea, it curdles--at least the brand that I have.

I've recently fallen in love with Bigelow's Vanilla Caramel (also available in decaf). It's very sweet (or reminiscent of sweet) with no sweetners/calories. I'm trying to watch my weight, and it takes care of my sweet tooth everytime!

I have a student I tutor whose mom owned a tea room. She always has the best teas! It's such a luxury for her to make me a cup when I teach.

Parsley tea? I guess you could make tea out of almost anything, but who wants to?

Chel
01-15-2007, 03:29 PM
I recommend Republic of Tea. My favorites include:

Ginger Peach, Blackberry Sage, Cranberry Blood Orange, Kiwi Pear, Apricot, and Honeysuckle White Tea. Many are available decaffinated or naturally caffeine free.

They are good stuff!

Knitting_Guy
01-15-2007, 03:35 PM
I'm a big fan of mint tea as it is great for settling the stomach (I have IBS). I also drink a fair amount of green tea.

If I were you I would discuss some of the options that sound good to you with your doctor as whatever tea you drink will have some affect on your milk as you're nursing.

Jan in CA
01-15-2007, 03:37 PM
If I were you I would discuss some of the options that sound good to you with your doctor as whatever tea you drink will have some affect on your milk as you're nursing.

Ooo good point!

Orangeus
01-15-2007, 04:36 PM
My favourite type of tea is Trader Joes brand decaf English Breakfast. Oolong tea is what I used to drink, and it's very good too (I think it might be mellower, which is why my mum prefers it maybe).

I don't know how either would effect a baby though...

nadja la claire
01-15-2007, 05:02 PM
I go to China Town for my teas most of the time. I like Jasmine and Green teas. I also like Trader Joe's decaf organic teas.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

HamburgKnitter
01-15-2007, 05:09 PM
I second the rooibos tea - it's pretty close to "normal" tea tastewise and is naturally caffeine free. I drink a cup of vanilla rooibos tea almost every day at the office. I also like peppermint and japanese green tea. but I think green tea has caffeine in it, doesn't it? :??

Cristy
01-15-2007, 05:11 PM
Thanks for all of the good suggestions. I've done some research myself on what teas effect pregnancy and milk supply and am pretty good at knowing what to steer clear of but I will ask if I actually make it to my next appointment (scheduled for Thursday but I took my dd4 out to ride her bike and just came in to a flurry of contractions!! I'm supposed to be induced on Friday so at this point--milk supply is a bigger concern than pregnancy!)

I looked at adagio and have several samples in my cart that I'm going to purchase. They have lots that look really great and buying loose teas gives me a reason to use all of my favorite tetsubin pots! :)

janelanespaintbrush
01-15-2007, 05:33 PM
I looked at adagio and have several samples in my cart that I'm going to purchase. They have lots that look really great and buying loose teas gives me a reason to use all of my favorite tetsubin pots! :)

It's fun, isn't it? My favorite will always be genmai cha (for the uninitiated, a nutty japanese green tea with toasted rice and popcorn in it), but I like some of the fruit teas too. Do not care for the rooibos for some reason -- just not my uh... cup of tea, I guess. ;) My tea consumption plummeted after I resumed coffee drinking (I go through these phases), but I think I will need to put in an order soon!

P.S. Good luck on Friday!

aethra
01-15-2007, 06:37 PM
Cristy,

You've probably got this already, but raspberry tea is supposed to be another for starting labor - and probably tastes better than parsley, IMHO :drool:

Best wishes for you and the impending little one!

Mama Bear
01-15-2007, 09:16 PM
As aethra mentioned, Red Raspberry Leaf tea is a uterin toner and considered good for pregnant and nursing moms by most. Traditional Medicinals is a good brand and can be found at most health food stores and some larger chain stores with health food sections. Even Safeway sometimes carries it. It's organic and the best tasting of the ones I have tried.

They also carry some blends of teas that help with milk supply.

Best wishes for a healthy birth and healthy mom and baby.

Mama Bear

Jeremy
01-15-2007, 10:16 PM
I really like Yogi teas, especially Ginger and lemon.

cookworm
01-15-2007, 10:32 PM
Hi Cristy--good luck to you, both on the remainder of your pregnancy, and with nursing! :hug: I absolutely love tea! My favorites are English Breakfast (which you can get as decaf), Moroccan Mint, lemon teas, Tazo Tea has a GREAT orange tea, chai. Also, double bergamot tea (like a double Earl Grey) makes for a great iced tea I think--different than the standard plain black tea and a nice change. I like Stash (http://www.stashtea.com) brand teas. :heart:

I know that mint tea is said to decrease milk production when you're ready for nursing, so I thought I'd mention it. I know that everybody is different, so you may be fine if you drink it, but it is worth keeping in mind. Here's (http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/index.html) a great site for herbs and breastfeeding if you don't mind me sending it your way.

(I have IBS).

Mason--you have IBS and you are a OTR driver??? :shock: You poor guy! :hug: I had ulcerative colitis and now currently have Crohn's...I could never do a job like that! I hope it doesn't give you too much trouble.

zkimom
01-15-2007, 10:39 PM
I am very spoiled to have an amazing tea shop not very far away from where I live. They sell loose teas and coffees and also teas in bags. My faves are a couple of black teas -- Violet Rose and Plum. I also love their Pear Rooibos. They make a great fruity tea called Carribean Splash.

They have a website if anyone is interested:

Simpson & Vail (http://www.svtea.com/foundations/store/home.asp)

As for teas for good milk supply I always relied on Traditional Medicinals Mother's Milk Tea.

Best,
Susan

simplethings
01-16-2007, 12:36 AM
i recently became obsessed with loose leaf tea. here are my favorites:

tea gschwender (http://www.teagschwendner.com) strawberry white tea
-this tea smells so sweet and gorgeous. it actually has pieces of freeze-dried strawberries in it. because it's such a fragile white tea i boil water and wait until the water temperature falls to about 160F before pouring it onto the tea. if the water is above that temp then the intense heat destroys the subtle strawberry flavor. =( when i finally drink the tea it's not very hot... if you like your teas to be really really warm then this might not be the type for you.

from tea gschwender i also like: father morgana. it's a very fruity green tea with mango and cranberry. it's almost not tea. hahaha. it's like a very light and pleasant fruit juice.

teavana (http://www.teavana.com) i see teavanas at malls often so they aren't hard to find. my favorite from them is a blend of their jasmine dragon phoenix pearls (a green tea) with lavender dreams (a white tea). such a serene drink. i'm a huge fan of green tea + jasmine... but the addition of the lavender really makes this the best flavored green tea i've ever had.

hope that helps! =)

Cristy
01-16-2007, 01:10 AM
We do have a teavanna at one of my favorite malls but it's still about 30 miles away. I've been trying to avoid lengthy trips b/c while 30 miles isn't far...if any of you are familiar w/ Atlanta traffic...you know it's not a good idea for a mom close to delivery to venture out very far! (And I love the dragon pearls too!)

Thanks for the links to milk production and tea and I've heard all about the mother's milk teas...if this kid is anything like my first--milk production will be no problem b/c all she wanted to do was eat...and the more they eat...they more you make! I just want to make sure I don't do anything to decrease the supply (so I appreciate the note about mint tea!).

Parsley...yes...I looked into that and there are some disturbing things about it...apparently it's either used to make you go into labor or to make you begin your cycle if you're late...not sure how one thing could do both b/c it seems rather contradictory...I think I'll skip on the parsley!

Raspberry--yes, I've heard about it...I ordered some from Adagio and if I'm still pregnant when it arrives (I better not be) I'll drink up the entire container! :) LOL!

Thanks again for all of the suggestions...keep um coming if you can think of others!

XbelovedXoneX
01-16-2007, 03:46 AM
Pennyroyal tea is commonly used to cause "natural abortions" and I'm assuming means it can cause miscarriage.

and thanks for the link to the Adagio teas website! I've been recently thinking about trying out more high quality teas, but didn't know where to start. All I've ever really had is that cheap Celestial Seasonings stuff! :teehee:

Kaydee
01-16-2007, 01:44 PM
Celestial Seasonings Lemon Zinger and Berry Zinger are really good if you're just looking to pick up something from the grocery store. They're not gormet teas or anything, but they're always a good standby to have on hand.

want2knit
01-18-2007, 02:50 PM
Adagio (http://www.adagio.com/) has amazing teas of just about every variety you can imagine, and exceptional customer service to boot. You don't know what you've been missing until you've tried the good stuff. Really. Their starter set is a terrific value -- comes with a nifty teapot and 4 sample tins (makes about 10 cups each). They've got tons of customer reviews to help guide your decisions, and their (previously mentioned) sample tins (usually about $2 each if purchased individually) are a great way to try different flavors. You might want to consult their live help to ask for specific recommendations for pregnancy. Shipping is fast and very reasonable, and everything is beautifully packaged. I can't recommend them more highly. They make good tea an affordable luxury.

Great, Jane. You just helped me blow my yarn budget for TEA! JK. Thanks for the link, their shipping was extremely fast. I just got my order today and the teas smell delish--can't wait to try them. I've never used loose tea before, how much do you put into a filter/infuser, like a teasp? It was fun reading everyone's reviews on the different teas they have.

mchalehm
01-18-2007, 08:27 PM
I'm nursing a baby and my OB said anything you can buy at the grocery store is fine--none of those are hard-core enough to hurt anything. Traditional Medicinals has a tea specifically for nursing called Mother's Milk; I think it tastes awful, but some people like it. It tastes like anise, so if you like licorice you might be into it. (It didn't boost my milk supply, as advertised, but some women have good luck for that too!)

cookworm
01-18-2007, 10:41 PM
I've never used loose tea before, how much do you put into a filter/infuser, like a teasp?

A gadget like this (http://shopstashtea.com/832781.html) is nice and handy...I can never seem to find my measuring spoons when I need them for my loose tea, so this is really handy (because I store it by my tea and I know exactly where it is at any given time :teehee: )

The amount of loose tea to add is determined by taste. Here's a general guideline (http://stashtea.com/teafaq.htm) for brewing 8 ounces of tea:

White tea - 2 teaspoons
Green tea - 1 teaspoon
Oolong tea - 2 teaspoons
Black tea - 1 teaspoon
Herbal tea - start with 1 teaspoon, and increase until desired strength

Tea should brew for about 3-5 minutes depending on your strength preference; green teas should steep for only 1-3 minutes and the brewing water should be a bit cooler than it would for the other teas.

want2knit
01-19-2007, 01:29 AM
thank you, cookworm!

cookworm
01-19-2007, 10:22 PM
You're welcome. I like to enable. :teehee:

slowknitter
01-20-2007, 02:10 AM
If u like tea with milk,you can try the Indian Chai tea.You can get loose tea (no flavours added) from any Indian grocery store.Brew the tea and mix with warm milk.It tastes great and does no harm during or after pregnancy even if you plan to nurse.

brightspot
01-25-2007, 08:53 PM
I stopped drinking coffee a few months ago and started drinking tea. I lost 15 lb right off the bat even though I usually drank my coffee black. I really like pumpkin spice, chai, and chocolate. My dd (12 yrs old) loves to make my tea for me. I made the mistake of telling her that I didn't really like the Camomile tea, I just kept it for cramps (although I almost never drank it, lol). This month when I told her I had cramps she insisted on making it :doh: When she saw my face when I started drinking it she dropped a peppermint candy in it. It was great! It settled my stomach as well as the cramps. It looked like it had cream in it after it disolved and was just a touch sweet. I loved it, lol. I also like peach, strawberry, and white peony.

psammeadred
01-25-2007, 11:44 PM
I went to a tea room today with my mom, grandmother, and sister. This place has a TON of teas that you can choose from for your meal. I had Lapsang something or other...it was REALLY strong and tasted like pine smoke. I didn't like it at the time, but I've been thinking about it all day, and I think I'll try it again sometime. The tea room also has a Valentine's day blend (black tea with chocolate and rose petals), a Wedding blend (white tea with roses and vanilla), and loads of others that are so very good. Mmm...

LadyB
01-26-2007, 12:35 PM
I would like to recommend http://www.englishteastore.com/index.html. They have a great selection of teas from many companies and the service is good. (Try the Earl Grey Cream -- a little sugar and cream and it tastes like dessert!)

FREE SHIPPING at EnglishTeaStore.com .

Please use the attached Promotional Code when placing your next order and enjoy FREE Shipping from now until Valentine’s Day Feb 14th 2007. The offer is limited to standard ground shipping to continental US addresses only. Orders must be over $10 in value.

To redeem the coupon simply enter the word Jan07 in the Coupon Code / Promotional Code box on our online order form when placing your next order at EnglishTeaStore.com or by calling our toll free Customer Service Department 1-877-734-2458 (Mon-Thurs. 8:30am -5:30pm EST / Fri. 8:30am – 5:00 pm). Make sure you mention your Preferred Promotional Code to the Customer Service Rep when placing your order by phone. We also invite you to visit our other stores to enjoy the same great savings.

kristinw
01-26-2007, 02:23 PM
I'm nursing a baby and my OB said anything you can buy at the grocery store is fine--none of those are hard-core enough to hurt anything. Traditional Medicinals has a tea specifically for nursing called Mother's Milk; I think it tastes awful, but some people like it. It tastes like anise, so if you like licorice you might be into it. (It didn't boost my milk supply, as advertised, but some women have good luck for that too!)

I just starting drinking this. If you add some honey it is really quite good!

MoniDew
01-27-2007, 08:23 AM
If you'll accept the word of a naturopath/nutritionist, I'll definately agree with the mother's milk tea for you Christy. Many midwives/naturopaths recommend herbs such as nettle, or fenugreek to increase and sustain milk supply. Most important is to stay hydrated and well-nourished (eat those mineral-rich leafy greens and high water content fruits! :happydance: ) Stay away from the caffeinated teas, they will dry you up.
________
Honda Cb500 Specifications (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_CB500)