PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone out there crochet aswell as knit?

Sue Madelin
01-15-2007, 01:24 PM
* Whispering cos I know some people think crochet is a dirty word!*
Do any of you knitters crochet too?

I'm intrigued and my Mum bought me a "How to" book and several hooks for Christmas so I've been experimenting.

Just wondered if there were any good sites out there for crochet?

photojenic
01-15-2007, 01:36 PM
I'm a crocheter trying to learn to knit. Does that count? lol...

I find crochet to be easier to pick up and throw down without having to worry about losing stitches. But I want to learn to knit because I think some things just look better in a knitted fabric. I mostly want to learn to knit because I have this strange obsession with hand knit socks. Never worn a pair in my life, but I wanna learn to make 'em! lol....

If you are looking for Crochet message boards, you might try Crochetville or Craftster. HTH!

Jen

madametj
01-15-2007, 01:37 PM
i'm learning to crochet. so far i know single crochet, double crochet, and half double.

newwooley
01-15-2007, 01:51 PM
Visit Nexstitch - she has great videos on there which explain stitches very well.

And yes, I was taught to crochet as a child, by my mom, some 40 years ago!

Enjoy, Helen

Jan in CA
01-15-2007, 01:58 PM
I crocheted long before I knit. I prefer knitting and will only crochet edges and borders now.

PinkRoses
01-15-2007, 02:09 PM
I'm better at knitting than crocheting, but right now I'm working on a Roseanne crochet afghan. Remember the one from the show? Here is the pattern:

http://www.knitting-crochet.com/crochet/monver.html

:eyebrow:

robynbird
01-15-2007, 02:20 PM
Me me! I like both. Crochet for afghans and most everything else in knit.

Jan in CA
01-15-2007, 02:41 PM
I'm better at knitting than crocheting, but right now I'm working on a Roseanne crochet afghan. Remember the one from the show? Here is the pattern:

http://www.knitting-crochet.com/crochet/monver.html

GAH! I crocheted an entire king size bedspread with that pattern! I kept it on the bed for about 2 weeks and then gave it to the Goodwill. I couldn't stand it anymore after working on it so long...all those squares.. makes we woozy thinking about it.. :zombie:

mwedzi
01-15-2007, 03:04 PM
Lots of us crochet. I just learned to knit less than a year ago, but have been crocheting for more than 9 years. Knitting is definitely better for clothing, particularly sweaters (but I did crochet a top I think is very cute: http://knitensity.blogspot.com/2006/09/okay-so-heres-another-top-i-crocheted.html - moderators, how do i made a short link? it says my html setting is off. how do i turn it on?)
but I think crochet can do everything else just as well. In fact, I think it's better for toys, afghans, hats, bags, and anything that needs any structure to it. But there's something about the movement of knitting I think I like better. Not sure, really.

I will continue to advertise this book I just got called Get Your Crochet On! Despite the title :doh: , there are lots of really great hats in this book, made for people with big natural hair like me. Yay, crochet!

Phretys
01-15-2007, 03:09 PM
My mom taught me to crochet around the time I was in junior high school. I guess I inherited my craftiness from her. :heart: I gave it up after a bit, and then had to relearn it about 4 years ago when I decided to crochet a blanket for my eldest niece.

My daughter managed to get me started on knitting a little over 2 years ago. While we were shopping she randomly picked up a ball of yarn that she thought was pretty, then I bought some needles to go with it, and ... and ... it snowballed from there! Pretty much the only thing I crochet these days are edgings for blankets.

Debi

PinkRoses
01-15-2007, 03:10 PM
OMG, that crochet top is beautiful! :heart:

newwooley
01-15-2007, 03:33 PM
Mwedzi, that top is gorgeous :muah: !
Bellisimo

Jan in CA
01-15-2007, 03:38 PM
Mwedzi, that top is gorgeous :muah: !
Bellisimo

Ditto!!!! :inlove:

DreamWeaver
01-15-2007, 03:38 PM
I crochet a little bit. right now I can only do chain, single, and double (still getting the hang of half double)

brownishcoat
01-15-2007, 03:49 PM
Hi, Sue! :waving:

I crochet, too. I taught myself from the book "Crochet in Plain English" by Maggie Righetti. That was about 16 years ago.

Crocheting (to me) is easier than knitting, and it's a great supplement to knitting. I prefer knitting because the fabric it produces is more appealing.

If I need a quickie gift, I'll crochet an afghan or something. This is very handy, especially if you need a gift for someone you don't particularly care for.

Can't wait to see what you've been "experimenting" with! :teehee:

:muah: :muah: :muah:

jdee
01-15-2007, 03:57 PM
Another Crocheter here. I've only been knitting a little over a year, but I've been crocheting since I was 18. ( :oops: That was 20 years ago)

cmk
01-15-2007, 04:25 PM
Just in case you don't know yet, UK and American stitch terms are not the same . I find I have to check a reference to see which, eg. dc is American and which is British! Also, when I am following an American pattern and I am tired, my brain interprets the stitch the way I initially learned, the British way----> frogging.

Crocheting a project is quicker, for me, than knitting, but I have never undertaken a large thread-crochet project which I think would be slow going.

I hope you enjoy crocheting!

Carolyn

JoeE
01-15-2007, 06:52 PM
I've been a crocheter since I was a wee lad. I haven't made much in several years. I got hooked on quilting a few years back until I realized that I only like piecing the quilts. So I have a stack of unfinished quilts with no desire to actually quilt them. I could "farm" that out, but I really love hand quilting (as opposed to machine), and that would cost a fortune.

I wanted to learn to knit because, IMNSHO, knitting is prettier to look at than crochet. I don't know why I feel that way, but I do. I bet it's because I could crochet, but not knit, so the grass was greener on the other side.

I've seen the NextStitch site, and it was the best crochet site I could find; however, it pales in comparison to KH. Amy has done an amazing job with this website.

Joe

jjminarcik
01-15-2007, 07:07 PM
I learned to crochet after I learned to knit. I don't know much, but the Crochetville forums are pretty friendly

Sue Madelin
01-15-2007, 07:07 PM
Hey guys!

Nice to see so many of you lurking out there.

I agree - I wish someone would come up with a "CrochetHelp" site that was as good as this one is!

Re my experimenting - I'm afraid I've ripped out most of the bits I've done - I tend to just try a stitch for a couple of inches to see if I can do it - and despite my stash not fitting into the 3! enormous boxes that I bought for it I can't make myself tie off the ends of my samples - I always think that I might need that yarn for something one day!!!!!!!!! Must be my Scottish ancestory coming out! :teehee:

I've been looking around for a good first project - but I'm a bit fussy - I'm not over keen on the traditional "granny square" crochet look - and I'm not sure I really need another scarf! I'd quite like to try a lacy shrug but the patterns look very complicated! :pout:

I keep reminding myself that this time last year I hadn't even started knitting and the knitting patterns that looked so difficult at first are now reasonably simple to follow - but not having Amy's fab videos to demonstrate makes things a little harder with the crochet.

So - in the time honoured fashion of attention deficit beginners the world over - I've now decided that I absolutely must have a knitted cable handbag - and because I was given the Vogue Stitchonary books for Christmas I decided that I would design my own - so I'm back with the two needles and have spent the last three hours or so swatching.

I also decided to see if I could knit continental now that I've got the hang of holding the yarn in my left hand to crochet - but whilst the knit stitches are quite easy I'm finding the purl almost impossible. At first I thought I'd cracked it and wondered what all the fuss was with purling continental style - but then I started the next row and realised that I'd twisted all my purl stitches! I guess I was wrapping the wrong way! I need to check out those videos again!

Anyway - I'll keep you posted on both the knitting and crochet fronts!

:muah:

susanc
01-15-2007, 07:19 PM
I've only been knitting for three years, but have been a crocheter for over 30! I love both. I've been working on a crochet afghan that I have almost 1/2-way done that I need to finish and have lots of knitting WIP.

cheesiesmom
01-15-2007, 09:25 PM
YEARS ago I crocheted doilies. You know, those lacy things for table tops. My grandmum used to make them and I grew up in a house were lacy-crocheted doilies were de riguere. So I know how, but it might take a few refresher lessons.

I always found that if I was looking for a pattern everything that I liked was in knit or crochet. Never in what I wanted to do at the moment.

:rofl:

cindyln
01-15-2007, 10:44 PM
I was a crocheter first. I started crocheting as a kid and just starting knitting a year ago.

cookworm
01-15-2007, 10:47 PM
I realized that I only like piecing the quilts.

Joe--me too!!! :teehee: :oops: I get the whole quilt top done and then moan and groan about doing the quilt "sandwich" and quilting it. I prefer how the hand quilting looks, but I've never attempted it because my hand sewing isn't very good, so I wind up machine quilting (plus I'm too impatient to do it by hand!)

My grandmother taught me how to crochet when I was about 11 I think, and it was pretty bad; I think it's a tension thing for me (my stuff always curves). I only learned how to do chain stitch and single crochet. So I abandoned it and went to classes on how to knit about 2 years ago. Now that I know how to knit, I'd like very much to go back to learn how to crochet correcting my errors, so I could know how to do both fairly well. I can crochet edgings on my knitting, so I guess I'm still getting some practice in until I find a class that offers crocheting (I just can't learn from a book without watching something being done in person).

There are things that I prefer knitted, and things that I think look better crocheted, so I would really like to switch off to do either one on whatever project I like, although this might be a bad thing to do with regards to yarn cost! :teehee:

For those that are interested, here's (http://www.nexstitch.com/v_crochet_videos.html) a site with crochet technique videos.

Braden
01-15-2007, 11:12 PM
I crocheted for years before I learned to knit. I still do it, but I knit a lot more.

craftymom
01-16-2007, 12:19 AM
I've crocheted for 20+ years. I haven't picked it up much since learning to knit though.

Yarnlady
01-16-2007, 09:13 AM
Do any of you knitters crochet too?I've crocheted for over 40 years and have knit for 2. I fail to understand why people think crochet is a dirty word to knitters and knitting is a dirty word to crocheters. :grrr: :?? :verysad:

Cristy
01-16-2007, 10:11 AM
I learned to crochet first when I was about 8. I remember very little of it but have no issues with it at all--I don't find it to be a dirty word and it does appear to be much quicker than knitting so sometimes I'm jealous of the girls in my snb that crochet through an afghan in a week or so!

Ya know...Amy owns the rights to www.crochethelp.com (right now it just redirects you back to this site)...you guys should make some noise and try to convince her to jump on that project! She has said before that one day she plans to....

Sue Madelin
01-16-2007, 10:35 AM
Ooohhhh!!!!!

Yes Yes Yes :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Let's get Amy to build crochethelp.com!

Pretty Please Amy :muah:

:hug:

:heart:

:notworthy:

:angelgrin:

:flirt:

HamaLee
01-16-2007, 10:57 AM
I just discovered that my boyfriend can crochet...and has made several blankets! :cheering: He resisted for awhile...but I've totally got him addicted again! We spent all day Monday knitting/crocheting together. :happydance: :teehee:

msoebel
01-16-2007, 11:31 AM
I taught myself to crochet a few years ago...made several scarves and hats (I love the bohemian look of a crocheted skull cap!).

But when I picked up those knitting needles, I didn't ever want to look back. I am much faster when knitting (with one exception...I never had to frog my crocheted projects and I do it often whilst knitting). I think the knitted projects are more functional for me too.

Misty

Jax3303
01-16-2007, 11:37 AM
I crocheted long before I knit. I prefer knitting and will only crochet edges and borders now.

me too.

DianaM
01-16-2007, 12:44 PM
Been crocheting for almost 20 years, took up knitting last year.
I :heart: both of them ^_^

JamOKnit
01-16-2007, 01:31 PM
I taught myself both knitting and crocheting around the same time. I guess I figured as long as I had the yarn, I might as well! :hug:

I find crocheting to take longer and need more yarn for a project. I do like the repetitive motions of it though, and will often take crochet projects on the plane when I have business trips so that there won't be any hassle should the security person decide I really CAN'T take knitting needles on board.

Knitting goes faster for me, but I like the soft texture of a crocheted piece. I just finished up a crocheted baby sweater for my friend's newborn and have switched back to knitting for baby booties.

susanc
01-16-2007, 02:19 PM
Do any of you knitters crochet too?I've crocheted for over 40 years and have knit for 2. I fail to understand why people think crochet is a dirty word to knitters and knitting is a dirty word to crocheters. :grrr: :?? :verysad:
I don't know why :shrug: Seems ridiculous to me. I enjoy both, although I've been knitting a lot more lately. :hug:

photojenic
01-16-2007, 02:46 PM

I can't remember where I read this, I think it was a library book. But I remember reading about a knitter who went overseas somewhere, and had people actually tell her to stop knitting in public. It seems that in this particular country, doing handwork was only done by the poor and underprivileged, and to be a "celebrity" knitting in public was shocking.

I wonder if they thought the same thing about crocheting? :??

susanc
01-16-2007, 04:04 PM

I can't remember where I read this, I think it was a library book. But I remember reading about a knitter who went overseas somewhere, and had people actually tell her to stop knitting in public. It seems that in this particular country, doing handwork was only done by the poor and underprivileged, and to be a "celebrity" knitting in public was shocking.

I wonder if they thought the same thing about crocheting? :??
That seems crazy, but I guess in that particular culture it was considered demeaning, which is too bad. I'm SO GLAD that we don't have that stigma here! :cheering:

pfttec
01-17-2007, 07:19 AM
http://home.inreach.com/marthac/links.html
Not sure if anyone uses this site, as a beginner I looked here for easy patterns

dustinac
01-17-2007, 09:07 AM
My mom learned how to crochet when she was growing up... she is trying to show me somethings when we are together... right now I can pretty much just do sc and dc if I pay really close attention...

Mom wanted me to ask though and see home come with Knitting (something I'm teaching her) you have to block... but with crochet she never has to cause it lays flat.. I wondered if its not cause in knitting the V's seem to run up and down but with Crochet I've noticed they run from side to side.. but not really knowing crochet I could be wrong.. :shrug:

Sue Madelin
01-17-2007, 09:10 AM
Looks like an interesting site

But my gosh! Is it hard to read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My eyes hurt! :pout:

photojenic
01-17-2007, 11:32 AM
Looks like an interesting site

But my gosh! Is it hard to read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My eyes hurt! :pout:

My favorite pattern site (for crochet) is crochet pattern central at http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/ . That site rocks! She's also the owner of knitting pattern central.

Crochet Cabana has some tutorials and patterns: http://www.crochetcabana.com/tutorials/index.htm

This is a neat site because she records her progress on her knit and crochet projects. Her photos are great! http://crochet.vrya.net/

Eloewien
01-17-2007, 12:33 PM
My great aunt taught me to crochet when I was 6 or 7. I still love using crocheted edgings on my knitting, I use it a whole lot to accent the edge of a basic scarf. There are just some textures that crocheting does better than knitting. I think they compliment each other. Also- a crochet hook is a wonderful thing to have around to fix mistakes-- or just weave in ends a bit quicker. I've got extra pockets with my KP options for my hooks. I don't see why the two have to be exclusive- they are both fiber arts and use very similar techniques!

cgd
01-17-2007, 01:32 PM
I do both, as well as Tunisian crochet and cro-hook, which are somewhere in between crochet and knit. I prefer to crochet because of its ease and work-up speed, but like many here, I prefer the look and feel of knitted garments. I don't like granny squares or bobbles either, but thankfully there is much more to crochet than that. There are lacy meshes, shells, waves, tapestry crochet, and delicate filet edgings that can be done. For a wedding present one of DH's aunts gave us a name doily crocheted in thread, which is gorgeous and no doubt took someone some time to do. Crochet is very versatile and doesn't always get the respect due it because people think granny afghans are all it does.

Each craft has things it does well and not so well, and they both have a place. I feel more proficient at crochet, but am determined not to let knitting get the best of me. And they both cause me to spend too much money and time on them! :teehee:

HamaLee
01-17-2007, 01:57 PM
What's Tunisian crochet and how does it differ? I've heard of it vaguely...

cgd
01-17-2007, 05:15 PM
In regular crochet, you have one stitch on the hook at all times. In Tunisian crochet, you use a long hook (10" or 14" or longer cabled ones), and you pull up stitches/loops and work them off. In that sense it resembles knitting, but it doesn't have the stretchiness of knitted garments. Cro-hook is like Tunisian, but done with two separate skeins and a double-ended hook. Each end of the hook has yarn on it, which you pull up, turn, then work off. It's stretchier than Tunisian and traditional crochet, and the article you make with it is reversible.

Visit www.crochetkim.com and www.nexstitch.com for more details and tutorials. Kim Guzman (crochetkim.com) has transcripts of web classes she's taught on both techniques. They're worth learning to expand skills or just to do something different. I'm an information and technique junkie!