PDA

View Full Version : Love a Gorilla Day?

SabrinaJL
01-15-2007, 04:02 PM
Has anybody heard of this? I was watching the news and the weatherman was doing the weather report. He was talking about how cold it was and said if you're going to be out for any MLK day events to dress warmly. Then the map changes and over AZ it says "Love a Gorilla Day!" The weatherman didn't say anything about it, but the next time he did the report it said "MLK Tribute Day!" over AZ, then the "Love a Gorilla Day!" thing popped up again. He still didn't explain it. Seems like a goofy thing to have a day for to me, but whatever. :??

Knitting_Guy
01-15-2007, 04:03 PM
Isn't that illegal? (not to mention dangerous) :rofl:

CateKnits
01-15-2007, 04:05 PM
Isn't that illegal? (not to mention dangerous) :rofl:
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

SabrinaJL
01-15-2007, 04:07 PM
:shrug: I suppose it's only dangerous if the gorilla objects.

PurpleMittens
01-15-2007, 04:24 PM
I don't mean to read something into that isn't there, but isn't gorilla / monkey / etc. a rather derogatory way of referring to black people, and isn't this sort of the worst day to do that? Not that any day would be good...

I don't know. That was just my reaction.

bip
01-15-2007, 05:35 PM
PurpleMittens, I saw it that way too. I hope it is just a local, non-racist, insider joke that I didn't get.

janelanespaintbrush
01-15-2007, 05:41 PM
PurpleMittens, I saw it that way too. I hope it is just a local, non-racist, insider joke that I didn't get.

Wow, that never occurred to me, but I'm not finding anything on google about this "holiday." Was it a local station? I think that weather guy might have some explaining to do.

Stiney
01-15-2007, 05:59 PM
If it was on the blue screen, he might not have even known it was happening. He can't see the map, that's put in with fahncy technology, so it's people at the station.

Google yielded nothing, but if it WAS a slur, we'll hear about it soon enough.

Knitting_Guy
01-15-2007, 06:24 PM
Wow, I'm not one of those PC "race sensitive" people so that never even occurred to me. Surely not. I would hate to think someone would be that ugly.

CateKnits
01-15-2007, 06:26 PM
Wow, I'm not one of those PC "race sensitive" people so that never even occurred to me. Surely not. I would hate to think someone would be that ugly.

Yeah, same. I assumed they were talking about, you know, gorillas.

RooGirl
01-15-2007, 06:49 PM
I thought the same thing. I read that and thought, 'gosh I really hope it was an accident and not someone being a butthead!!'

stitchwitch
01-15-2007, 07:08 PM
I hope it's not a real day, I have no love for gorillas ever since that one flung poo at my first grade class field trip. I managed to come out of it unscathed but the kids who had to ride back with me had gorilla poop all over them.

CateKnits
01-15-2007, 07:20 PM
I hope it's not a real day, I have no love for gorillas ever since that one flung poo at my first grade class field trip. I managed to come out of it unscathed but the kids who had to ride back with me had gorilla poop all over them.
OMG, really?! I don't know whether to laugh or not.

stitchwitch
01-15-2007, 07:25 PM
OMG, really?! I don't know whether to laugh or not.

Go ahead and laugh, I still do, but I still hate those things. The funny thing was my poor mom who was a chaperone was trying to clean kids up with a pack of pocket Kleenex she had in her purse. 34 years has not eased the hate I have for monkeys. :roflhard:

CateKnits
01-15-2007, 07:27 PM
:roflhard: I bet your mom hates them more! :shock:

nadja la claire
01-15-2007, 07:31 PM
I don't mean to read something into that isn't there, but isn't gorilla / monkey / etc. a rather derogatory way of referring to black people, and isn't this sort of the worst day to do that? Not that any day would be good...

I don't know. That was just my reaction.

That's what I thought too. :shrug: :?? Not that I don't like gorillas.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

janelanespaintbrush
01-15-2007, 07:35 PM

I've heard about the poop phenomenon before, but never knew anyone who experienced it first hand. Glad you can laugh about it. I can't help but feel sorry for the gorilla, though. I'm sure it wasn't happy being out of its natural habitat and on display for the amusement of humans.

Jackie M.
01-15-2007, 07:57 PM
Okay, you really got my curiosity up on this one. Did a google search on gorillas and Arizona. Here is what I found that might explain the "love a gorilla day", over Arizona.

Arizona Sports Team Mascots
From Judy Hedding,
Your Guide to Phoenix, AZ.
FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now!
The Gorilla - Phoenix Suns Mascot
This mascot's inaugural year was 1980, and for many he has become the standard by which team mascots are judged. The Gorilla travels the world, makes appearances all year long, many at schools around Arizona.
The Phoenix Suns' mascot is sometimes referred to by the nickname "Go." We all just know him as The Gorilla.

According to the Phoenix Suns Official Web Site, the Phoenix Suns Gorilla has been named MVP every season--Most Valuable Primate.

joe_doufu
01-15-2007, 08:33 PM
Sounds like a racist prank -- but I doubt the weatherman is responsible. That would be incredibly stupid, and guaranteed career suicide. Some prankster in the studio probably saw the "on screen graphics" computer unattended and typed it in. Sounds like they fixed it quickly.

cheesiesmom
01-15-2007, 09:00 PM
Sorry, but I found "love a gorilla day" offensive. Maybe it's a '60s thing. You hadda be there.

janelanespaintbrush
01-15-2007, 09:08 PM
Well, I hope Jackie's right that it has something to do with the Sun's mascot. Maybe a naive intern from Phoenix decided it would be fun support his alma mater by slipping in a little message in the weather report (without the weather dude's knowledge) and didn't realize that it might be taken out of context because (one hopes) there's been some progress since the 60s and he's too young to remember hearing it used as a racial slur. Sounds pretty far-fetched, but I'm trying to cling to my faith in the goodness of human nature, here. :pout:

Stiney
01-15-2007, 09:15 PM
Well, I hope Jackie's right that it has something to do with the Sun's mascot. Maybe a naive intern from Phoenix decided it would be fun support his alma mater by slipping in a little message in the weather report (without the weather dude's knowledge) and didn't realize that it might be taken out of context because (one hopes) there's been some progress since the 60s and he's too young to remember hearing it used as a racial slur. Sounds pretty far-fetched, but I'm trying to cling to my faith in the goodness of human nature, here. :pout:

It's an NBA team, not a college. Very perplexing.

janelanespaintbrush
01-15-2007, 09:21 PM
It's an NBA team, not a college. Very perplexing.

Oh sorry. When it comes to sports, everything is pretty much :whoosh: to me! :teehee:

Knitting_Guy
01-15-2007, 09:37 PM
Come on folks, no need to shop for racial slurs. Life is too short for this.

Jackie M.
01-15-2007, 09:44 PM
I'm just curious about the day. I think it falls in line with other weird holidays, such as:
National Nothing Day - Jan. 16
Penguin Awareness Day - Jan 17
Squirrel Appreciation Day - Jan 21
Answer your cat's question day - Jan. 22

Too many to list. http://www.angelfire.com/falcon/flamingchickens/weird_holidays.html

Stiney
01-15-2007, 09:46 PM
January 17th is Penguin Awareness Day?????!!!!

:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Knitting_Guy
01-15-2007, 09:48 PM

That's a major holiday for all of us Linux users :yay: :yay: :yay: :whistle: :yay: :yay: :yay:

Stiney
01-15-2007, 10:02 PM

That's a major holiday for all of us Linux users :yay: :yay: :yay: :whistle: :yay: :yay: :yay:

:??

I've seen four different websites with four different dates. All I know is it's sometime this week, I say WEEK LONG PENGUIN PARTAY!!!

Jackie M.
01-15-2007, 11:05 PM
I like the idea of National Nothing Day on the 17th. You think our supervisors/bosses would go for it if we explained it was a holiday?

My family in Louisiana would like the "appreciate squirrel day". They appreciate them fried and in dumplins. :teehee:

Knitting_Guy
01-15-2007, 11:10 PM

:??

I've seen four different websites with four different dates. All I know is it's sometime this week, I say WEEK LONG PENGUIN PARTAY!!!
Werks fer me

HamaLee
01-15-2007, 11:10 PM
How about National Talk Like a Pirate Day? That's September 19--my dad's birthday--and my personal favorite. :teehee:

janelanespaintbrush
01-15-2007, 11:15 PM
How about National Talk Like a Pirate Day? That's September 19--my dad's birthday--and my personal favorite. :teehee:

It was quite popular here last year! ;) (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18153)

cara
01-16-2007, 10:12 AM
All you can lovers must laugh at the 'answer your cat's question day' on January 22.

I know there are so many times that my miss Tia looks at me with that perplexed look. I wonder what she is asking me...Maybe "why is that small human crawling over to me and constantly playing me like a drum?"

... either that or she just thinks that humans are dense and her race is superior! That would be a cat for you!

Cristy
01-16-2007, 10:27 AM
My family in Louisiana would like the "appreciate squirrel day". They appreciate them fried and in dumplins. :teehee:

HAHAHAHA :roflhard:

I do think squirrels are sort of cute be we have so many of them here--I swear it should be our state animal. Ihave bird feeders all around the house and even little suction cup feeders on the windows and they've learned that they can jump from the nearby tree to the window screen and climb their way up to the feeders. It makes the loudest, scariest sound you can imagine!!!

Chrissie
01-16-2007, 11:38 AM
I'm just curious about the day. I think it falls in line with other weird holidays, such as:
National Nothing Day - Jan. 16
Penguin Awareness Day - Jan 17
Squirrel Appreciation Day - Jan 21
Answer your cat's question day - Jan. 22

Too many to list. http://www.angelfire.com/falcon/flamingchickens/weird_holidays.html

I would love to answer my cats' questions....If only they could talk. :rofl:

SabrinaJL
01-16-2007, 02:27 PM
My daughter would love the squirrel appreciation day. She thinks they're the cutest.

http://sabrinajl.com/images/krystensquirrel.jpg

brendajos
01-16-2007, 02:40 PM
:teehee: My friend says they are rats with better tails! :teehee: