PDA

View Full Version : Question for new moms...actually, any moms!!

IrishKnitter
01-15-2007, 04:26 PM
Hello all you mothers out there--

I have a question. I have a friend who is due with her first baby in April. I want to knit her something, but I'm not sure what. I posted a similar question on the patttern central forum, but this is a bit different.

As a mom, is there any knit item that would be preferable to receive, or the most useful? For example, would booties be better than a blanket? A blanket better than a bonnet, etc.

Thanks! :D

Emeraldcutie
01-15-2007, 04:44 PM
The best thing I ever got was a small blanket about 20" square. It was simple garter stitch with an eyelet row I think every 5. It was done in a light/DK yarn. It was perfect for the stroller and car seat, it wasn't to bulky and it was machine washable (it seen alot of washes). My daughter is 11 and we still have it in her keepsake box. I think it was made from something like beehive.

I made all my daughter's bibs, I knitted them with the ties in the back. They were great because they were absorpbant (excuse spelling) and washed well.

Another idea may be some soft cotton bath clothes and some baby wash and lotion. I found this pattern and it has been a fun knit. :)

http://1870pearl.typepad.com/my_weblog/dishcloths/index.html

Hope some of this helps :)

cozy
01-15-2007, 04:46 PM
IMHO...for me, I would love anything handknit. Sometimes, I know new moms get a ton of blankets at a baby shower & can't use them all. But everybody goes ga-ga over booties 'cause they're just so cute.

I made a pregnant cousin a baby cardigan because she was due in October, so her baby could get some use out of it. The season would be a factor in what kind of clothing I knit (a sleeveless cotton romper for a summer baby, for example). I think anything you knit can be useful.

Emeraldcutie
01-15-2007, 04:49 PM
The best thing I ever got was a small blanket about 20" square. It was simple garter stitch with an eyelet row I think every 5. It was done in a light/DK yarn. It was perfect for the stroller and car seat, it wasn't to bulky and it was machine washable (it seen alot of washes). My daughter is 11 and we still have it in her keepsake box. I think it was made from something like beehive.

I made all my daughter's bibs, I knitted them with the ties in the back. They were great because they were absorpbant (excuse spelling) and washed well.

Another idea may be some soft cotton bath clothes and some baby wash and lotion. I found this pattern and it has been a fun knit. :)

http://1870pearl.typepad.com/my_weblog/dishcloths/index.html

Hope some of this helps :)

sewinhotmama23
01-15-2007, 04:51 PM
As a mom of a 2 yr old, and a mom to a 5 month old...I really have too many blankets...BUT I dont have any "pretty" blankets... say that I like to take to special places like a wedding, or to church, etc. for DS.. but I was given a GORGEOUS hand embroidered baby quilt that I took EVERYWHERE in public when DD was an infant, and got SO MANY compliments on it( ITS GORGEOUS, definately an heirloom for her)

With that said, I would LOVE to have a pair of booties for DS b/c he has such chunky ankles and socks tend to make squished marks on his feet and ankels and even did so as a tiny infant.. maybe the makers make them this way to keep them on...BUt with that said also.. he does wear sleepers with feet in 90% of the time.. so that may be something to think of.. I would like a pair for the spring when it will be a little warmer and he doesnt have to have his feet completely encased IYKWIM.

And with all THAT said..(lol) I knitted myself some really simple burpcloths with cotton thread from this pattern

http://www.knittingknonsense.com/sailboatcloth.html

and this pattern

http://www.jimsyldesign.com/%7Edishbout/kpatterns/grfavorite.html

and just made them rectangle instead of completely square and Ive gotten tons of "WHERE DID YOU GET THOSE!!!!" comments from tons of ppl.. so that maybe something you want to think about if you want to give her something special, but useful as well.. I also like this knitted bottle cozy I made for myself.. Im sure you can find a pattern anywhere for it..

HTH some!

sewinhotmama23
01-15-2007, 04:53 PM
http://www.knittingatknoon.com/coasterspatt.html

BTW- I found the pattern I made for the bottle cozy.. I just extended it some

Cristy
01-15-2007, 04:53 PM
My dd was born in October and I got about 10 blankets and love (and still have) every one of them. I am currently pregnant and scheduled to be induced on Friday and since I'm having a boy this time, my friends threw me two more showers. I've received about 3 blankets this time and love each of them. I prefer a small blanket to a smaller blanket too b/c sometimes big blankets just get to bulky for babies. My grandmother, for both pregnancies, has made me the most useful blankets I've ever seen. She takes 1 yd. of printed flannel and trims them to a perfect square. Then using crochet thread, she crochets a little lacy border around the edges in a color that matches the print. Those blankets are perfect for nursing cover-ups, something light to throw over the car seat when going from the car to inside of the house or a store if it's raining or really bring outside, and they are a great size for draping over their legs in the carseat. I love booties and have only gotten two pair (one for each child) but my daughter never wore the first pair and the pair I've gotten this time are so big that I think he'll be in 1st grade before his feet are that big!!! Either way--booties are adorable and everyone loves them. I have one friend due the end of Feb., another due in april and a third due in may. I'm making each of them a blanket. If you want small projects--go for hats--I LOVE little hats--especially for those first few days in the hospital (since they usually give you a unisex hat--I made several little blue ones this time!).

misstialouise
01-15-2007, 04:54 PM
Our baby was so much larger than expected, booties and clothes were too small within days of his birth..

A handknit blankie would have been SOO nice, just a pram size, so it could be used for longer than just when bub is a bub.

The other thing that would have been wonderful, is a washmitt in a lush egyptian cotton.

projectgal
01-15-2007, 04:56 PM
With my little guys, I think I would have preferred a blanket over booties and a hat. We live in GA, and my kids think mittens, hats, and scarves are for dress up! We'll get a cold day or two, but a blanket can be used to cover for breastfeeding, placed on the floor for baby to play, or used to get baby back and forth to the car without using a coat or sweater on a coolish day. Just make sure it will hold up to plenty of washings!

I've also heard of including a mini-blanket or lovey to match the big blanket. Then if the child gets attached to his fine hand knit, then he can just take the little version along with him on outings and leave the big one at home.

Also, parents get lots of newborn clothes, but the closet looks a little bare around the 12-18 month mark. Maybe a sweater for later?

Emeraldcutie
01-15-2007, 04:58 PM
Sorry about the double post, my pc hiccuped and then there was 2..lol

cmk
01-15-2007, 04:59 PM
What I used the most was a machine-washable blanket that wasn't too large (36"? wide) or holey. This was used when they were in the stroller, car seat and when we were on flights (easy to pack in carry-on). I also liked a light weight hoodie that one of my mom's friend made ~ wish I had the pattern.

I didn't use the sweaters very often and rarely used booties, but I did put them on when visiting the knitters of these gifts.

HTH
Carolyn

cara
01-15-2007, 05:14 PM
We live in Canada, and I wear a touque even sometimes in the summer if I'm camping and it is windy or something..

I loved getting lots of knitted hats of different styles/colors for my dd so that I can mix it up with any outfit or mood!

IrishKnitter
01-15-2007, 05:19 PM
Thanks for all the help everybody!! This is the first of my friends to have a baby (I can't believe we're old enough to have friends who have children!!), so I'm entering uncharted territory here! :teehee:

Thanks again! :D

cookworm
01-15-2007, 10:56 PM
Anything hand made is such a treat for me because I know how much time and work it takes, and it's so special to be on the receiving end of a gift! For me, I personally would prefer a hand knit bonnet in a cotton or cotton-blend yarn for summer. This last baby, I couldn't find bonnets ANYWHERE at the stores, and I'm kind of a stickler for my babies' heads being covered in that summer sun, even if they're only out for a bit of time (plus I don't want the wind in their ears). Blankets are nice too. Booties never seemed to fit my kids' feet right (maybe I have some weird kids? Wait--scratch that--I know I have weird kids! ha ha ha :teehee: )

ctmax
01-16-2007, 04:22 PM
I have 3 boys and have received blankets for everyone of them. I love blankets, the only thing I don't like are the lacey ones. It seems fingers and toes get caught in them.

mchalehm
01-18-2007, 08:34 PM
I have a 4.5-month-old daughter, and I've gotten a number of hand-knit gifts. I have one lovely "nice" blanket, a very soft white one that I used for her baptism, and I love that. She also has about 5 pairs of booties from my grandmother. The booties are nice, and I use them a lot because they have a drawstring to tie them tighter around the ankle. Regular baby socks NEVER stay on, so I use the booties anytime she's not in a footed sleeper. I highly recommend the drawstring thing! (Of course you shouldn't pull them too tight, but I'm guessing anyone would know that.)

mchalehm
01-18-2007, 08:36 PM
I have a 4.5-month-old daughter, and I've gotten a number of hand-knit gifts. I have one lovely "nice" blanket, a very soft white one that I used for her baptism, and I love that. She also has about 5 pairs of booties from my grandmother. The booties are nice, and I use them a lot because they have a drawstring to tie them tighter around the ankle. Regular baby socks NEVER stay on, so I use the booties anytime she's not in a footed sleeper. I highly recommend the drawstring thing! (Of course you shouldn't pull them too tight, but I'm guessing anyone would know that.)

hunterjenn
01-19-2007, 01:45 AM
Also, parents get lots of newborn clothes, but the closet looks a little bare around the 12-18 month mark. Maybe a sweater for later?

I wanted to second this--it's always been my rule for baby showers. LOTS of people will think of blankets and newborn stuff, but almost no one will consider things for when a baby is older. There are tons of cute older baby patterns out there! I just made this (http://www.magknits.com/Jan06/patterns/blossom.htm) for my niece, and it came out SO darling!

Compulsive
01-19-2007, 10:09 AM
I absolute LOVED the hat & dressing gown, with drawstring at the hem, sets my dh's great-grandmother knit for the children. The kids wore them for almost a full year. As they began crawling, we pulled the drawstring out of the hem.

Stores like JcPenny's & Sears used to sell a similar item in jersey knit when my 17yo was a baby, but we could not find them for Monkey See & monkey Do 7 years later.