PDA

View Full Version : OT: How are the new year resolutions holding up?

madametj
01-15-2007, 05:24 PM
Its been at least a good two weeks and most resolutions have been forgotten.

Any of you out there still holding on?

Stiney
01-15-2007, 05:58 PM
I'm still sticking to the Pyramid eating plan, though I don't know that's helping me lose weight. :??

My other resolutions are longer term goals, so we'll see how they go.

janelanespaintbrush
01-15-2007, 06:00 PM
Has it been two weeks already?

Let's see... I think my resolution was something about exercising more, so how's this for progress? Last night I skipped to the freezer, and scooped out two big bowls of ice cream all by myself. It may not sound impressive, but the ice cream was really hard, and I schlepped both (very heavy) bowls back to the bedroom so DH and I could eat in bed while we watched TV. You can imagine how sore I was after such a workout -- I could hardly feed myself, my arms were trembling so from exhaustion! ;) :teehee:

auburnchick
01-15-2007, 06:03 PM
Plus you had to wash those dishes later. :teehee:

Mine are going fairly well, except for the grocery shopping thing. My son commented the other day that I never go to Publix anymore. Bad mom, bad mom. :fingerwag:

janelanespaintbrush
01-15-2007, 06:05 PM
Plus you had to wash those dishes later. :teehee:

Surely you jest! I'm taking it easy today. Those dishes can wait until tomorrow's workout!

What's Publix?

auburnchick
01-15-2007, 06:10 PM
Surely you jest! I'm taking it easy today. Those dishes can wait until tomorrow's workout!

What's Publix?

Publix is one of our local grocery stores.

As far as dishes...my kids desperately need exercise...every day except Sunday. ;)

bip
01-15-2007, 06:15 PM
Well, obviously my resolution to spend less time on knitting forums and not post from work isn't holding up too well... :lol:

janelanespaintbrush
01-15-2007, 06:15 PM
Publix is one of our local grocery stores.

Well, I guess I sort of figured out that part... I don't quite understand what how that relates to resolutions, though. Are you avoiding it because they have lots of tempting treats or something? (If they do, I definitely need to know about it!)

janelanespaintbrush
01-15-2007, 06:16 PM
Well, obviously my resolution to spend less time on knitting forums and not post from work isn't holding up too well... :lol:

Typing improves your dexterity, and the breaks no doubt improve your overall work performance. ;)

auburnchick
01-15-2007, 06:19 PM
Well, I guess I sort of figured out that part... I don't quite understand what how that relates to resolutions, though. Are you avoiding it because they have lots of tempting treats or something? (If they do, I definitely need to know about it!)

Silly me. I just assumed that you had read and memorized my response in the resolution thread. :teehee:

One of my resolutions is/was to make sure that we always have enough groceries (to keep the kids happy, which takes way more than what satisfies me). I hate to grocery shop. That requires planning meals and actually thinking about organizing dinner. :::SIGH:::

Knitting_Guy
01-15-2007, 06:21 PM
Actually I have been keeping mine for the most part. I had resolved to p*ss off at least one person every day and so far I think I've managed it. :rofl:

auburnchick
01-15-2007, 06:25 PM
:roflhard:

If you haven't managed to do this every day, I've done it for you.

Spoken like a true mom of a teenage girl (no offense madametj).

janelanespaintbrush
01-15-2007, 06:28 PM
Actually I have been keeping mine for the most part. I had resolved to p*ss off at least one person every day and so far I think I've managed it. :rofl:

You're smart to make resolutions you can keep! :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

madametj
01-15-2007, 06:28 PM

If you haven't managed to do this every day, I've done it for you.

Spoken like a true mom of a teenage girl (no offense madametj).

ha, no need to apologize to me ;)

jodstr2
01-15-2007, 06:32 PM
I'm eating a little bit healthier, and I do mean a reeeeaaaaal little bit healthier (cutting out most processed carbs/eating more protein), and I've gotten on the treadmill a few times, and managed to lose 7 pounds. but I'm not exercising as much as I said I would. I forget what my other resolutions were, so I must not be doing them.

janelanespaintbrush
01-15-2007, 06:38 PM
I'm eating a little bit healthier, and I do mean a reeeeaaaaal little bit healthier (cutting out most processed carbs/eating more protein), and I've gotten on the treadmill a few times, and managed to lose 7 pounds.

:woohoo: Congratulations -- that's amazing!

jodstr2
01-15-2007, 06:43 PM
I'm eating a little bit healthier, and I do mean a reeeeaaaaal little bit healthier (cutting out most processed carbs/eating more protein), and I've gotten on the treadmill a few times, and managed to lose 7 pounds.

thanks jane! :heart: it's a small start, but I really need to lose 45 lbs this year - doctor's orders.
I sense a plateau coming soon tho.
AND, the comfort food thread makes me wanna seriously eat comforting food! :!!!: :rofl:

stitchwitch
01-15-2007, 06:46 PM
I got an exercise bike and and exercise ball for Christmas. So far I've been on that stupid bike 20 minutes a day everyday but this past weekend when I didn't feel all that great. The exercise ball I've used once but that's because I just got my husband to hook up the dvd player so I could see the exercise routine. I'll get on it tonight.

RooGirl
01-15-2007, 06:47 PM

thanks jane! :heart: it's a small start, but I really need to lose 45 lbs this year - doctor's orders.
I sense a plateau coming soon tho.
AND, the comfort food thread makes me wanna seriously eat comforting food! :!!!: :rofl:

Hehe, sorry about that. I was sickly and looking for suggestions.

XbelovedXoneX
01-15-2007, 08:04 PM
I've been committed to knitting from my stash... so that's very good! I haven't bought anything new since Dec 29th! (It was 20% off Koigu... I HAD to!)

But the whole becoming more active/exercising thing? Not so much.... vacuuming is about as active as I get!

losnana
01-15-2007, 09:08 PM
I'm sticking to my south Beach/Sugar Busters combo diet. So far so good: lost 4 pounds so far.

janelanespaintbrush
01-15-2007, 09:11 PM
I'm sticking to my south Beach/Sugar Busters combo diet. So far so good: lost 4 pounds so far.

Wow! Another heartening success story. Keep 'em coming! :cheering:

madametj
01-15-2007, 10:22 PM
I've been committed to knitting from my stash... so that's very good! I haven't bought anything new since Dec 29th! (It was 20% off Koigu... I HAD to!)

at least it was b4 new year's :mrgreen:

Jenelle
01-15-2007, 10:25 PM
I havn't had any soda in 6 days! :happydance:

I've also been stash busting, and only bought three skeins of yarn since the new year.

Jan in CA
01-15-2007, 10:27 PM
I don't make resolutions. :teehee:

Knitting_Guy
01-15-2007, 11:15 PM
Jodi: In 2005 I bought a recumbent bicycle to help me recover from a nasty car wreck. When I am home I ride that bike everywhere I go. In 6 months I dropped better than 50 lbs just from riding that bike.

Cristy
01-16-2007, 12:50 AM
Sigh...I was just thinking about this today. I've done w/ the not so serious resolutions but failed at the more serious ones... My resolutions were:
to stop drinking sodas which I've done good with (I can only really drink sprint right now since I"m preggo)
cut down on red meat (or cut it out) which I've done well on until yesterday when I walked into the sub shop and ordered a brisket and cheddar sub... I was half way through when dh said, "I though you were cutting out red meat..."
and the most serious of all is to spend more time each day in prayer both alone and with my daughter. I don't feel like I've done as well on that one as I should have...

VickyS456
01-16-2007, 03:58 AM
My NY Resolutuon was to learn how to knit. It's January 16th and I've completed 2 scarves and an iPod cozy. I think this is the first resolution I'm going to stick with :cheering:

Liliyarn
01-16-2007, 10:19 AM
Recap of my Resolutions:
1. The Knit-From-Your-Stash-a-Thon will start January 1, 2007 and run until June 30th 2007 (details on my blog)

I will knit lace, even if I end up hanging myself with the cobweb yarn.

I will knit more color work, especially fair isle.

I will knit for the home after my stash knitting is done.
I will knit myself a garment.

I am successfully following the resolutions. I am knitting from my stash and have yet to buy yarn. I am knitting some lace socks so I am beginning to do lace already!

My non-knitty resolutions are coming along well too. I stated that I'd like to finish fixing up the downstairs. Today is paint the living room day =-)

jodstr2
01-16-2007, 12:09 PM

Hehe, sorry about that. I was sickly and looking for suggestions.

oh Roo, no need to apologize! it's ok! :D :heart:

jodstr2
01-16-2007, 12:13 PM
way to go, people! :cheering: good to see you sticking your plans! :cheering: :happydance:

Jodi: In 2005 I bought a recumbent bicycle to help me recover from a nasty car wreck. When I am home I ride that bike everywhere I go. In 6 months I dropped better than 50 lbs just from riding that bike.

wow! Mason, thanks for the inspiration and encouragement! :D

CarmenIbanez
01-16-2007, 03:47 PM
I havn't had any soda in 6 days! :happydance:

I've also been stash busting, and only bought three skeins of yarn since the new year.

Yay! Someone to commiserate with. I also gave up soda. I have been on diet soda for the better part of three years, but lately had noticed that it was taking the place of water and other really healthy beverages. So I gave it up. On occaision, I have a rum and diet coke at the bowling alley, but the purpose of giving it up was to be more healthy so I cut myself a tiny bit of slack now and then.

I am also stash busting this year. I have much yarn and many projects to keep me busy.

My best resolution was in 2000 when I took up drinking. It's been seven years now and I'm still doing great with it!

Stiney
01-16-2007, 04:32 PM
My best resolution was in 2000 when I took up drinking. It's been seven years now and I'm still doing great with it!

That's my kinda resolution! :rofl:

CarmenIbanez
01-16-2007, 04:45 PM
Hey, I wanted to pick something I could really stick with.

aineepooh1
01-16-2007, 05:17 PM
Drinking as a resolution~~?? :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:
Seriously
I have TOO have been working on my stash busting by using 4 skiens of red :heart: yarn for a lunch bag for me and small bags as gifts
I have upped my exercise routine to 4 times a week ( which I hope to get back to my old routine of 5 days a week)
I am trying to eat better with my Weight Watchers progamll
although i did see a Large Gain last wekk :oops: :oops:

But as our WW leader always tell us ... Weight loss is a journey not a destination!~~'
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:
for all of you trying to get healthier this year.~~!!

ambernowknits
01-16-2007, 05:25 PM
My resolution was to learn three new skills/crafts by the end of this year. I'm learning to knit, so that's one down. I resolved to lose weight, but I have yet to give it enough effort. I did succeed in my resolution to abstain from caffeine (with the exception of when I get headaches, for some reason it gets rid of them). I think I had an odd resolution...I resolved to improve my posture. It's been...interesting.

Hurray for resolution keeping!

CarmenIbanez
01-16-2007, 05:56 PM
I did succeed in my resolution to abstain from caffeine (with the exception of when I get headaches, for some reason it gets rid of them).

Headaches are a common symptom of a physical dependence on caffeine. Regular coffee drinkers (like me) often get them when we forget to have a little pick me up in the morning.

If you are trying to staff off caffeine, but are having a caffeine headache, try excedrin. It has caffeine in it. You can treat the headache with less caffeine AND keep yourself from getting back in the habit of drinking caffeinated beverages.

Momma_Jo
01-16-2007, 09:03 PM
I never made any! :happydance:

aineepooh1
01-16-2007, 11:28 PM
You probably make the smartest ONE of all~~!! :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Stiney
01-17-2007, 10:41 AM
My resolution was to learn three new skills/crafts by the end of this year. I'm learning to knit, so that's one down. I resolved to lose weight, but I have yet to give it enough effort. I did succeed in my resolution to abstain from caffeine (with the exception of when I get headaches, for some reason it gets rid of them). I think I had an odd resolution...I resolved to improve my posture. It's been...interesting.

Hurray for resolution keeping!

And even it's not a caffeine-dependent headache, caffeine constricts the blood vessels in your head, which often relieves pressure and makes headaches go away.