PDA

View Full Version : A recipe for dinner so you can knit longer

gingergal4l8r
01-16-2007, 01:04 AM
Your family will think you put the knitting down for hours with this one...

Even my kids ask for this one...Enjoy

Honey Currey Chicken over Rice

put chicken parts or what ever you have in a roasting pan.

Mix
1/4 cup mustard
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup melted butter (marg)
4 tblsp curry powder

pour over chicken.
Put into a 350 degree oven for about 1 hour.

Make minute rice if you want more time to knit or 20 minute rice if you do not want to feel guilty about the time spent on dinner.

Walllllaaaaaaa

:happydance:

feministmama
01-16-2007, 01:38 AM
MMMMMMM sounds goooooooooooood. THanks!

snowbear
01-16-2007, 03:19 AM
Here's an old stand bye. Throw either pork chops/ chicken breasts,etc. in the crock pot. Stir in some cream of........ soup (fill in your favorite, I have used celery, mushroom, etc.) add seasonings, chopped onions, etc. some broth, I usually use chicken broth, but w/ pork could use beef or pork stock of course.

Set this on low and leave for the day.. go and knit in your favorite space, go to work, then come home & knit, then go into kitchen.

Add some canned veggies, and turn crock pot on high. 20 minutes, its done.

I usually added corn and mushrooms.

This can be served w/ rice or fresh green salad... whatever is easier. I've used this since college days. So let's just say it has been very well tested.!

Yarnlady
01-16-2007, 08:53 AM
Put a pound of navy beans in the crock pot and fill up to within an inch of the top with water or stock. Add onion, garlic, salt and pepper and any other seasonsing you like. Turn on high and let sit for a few hours (beans are done when you put one on the spoon, blow on it and the skin peels back). Turn on low till one hour before dinner. Add bag of mixed veggies and let heat back up. Serve with French bread, rolls, refrigerator biscuits, or crackers.

Everyone can eat whenever they are hungry and you don't have to stop knitting except to feed yourself!

cookworm
01-16-2007, 09:13 AM
Kryssie, I was so intrigued by the title of your post I had to check it out! :rofl: Dinner preparation time is always harried around here because it's about the time that everybody's getting home; ironically, it's always the time I want to knit most! This recipe sounds delicious--I'm going to try this either today or tomorrow. Thanks for enabling us knitting addicts!!!

ChroniclesofYarnia
01-16-2007, 09:14 AM
Can you do that honey curry chicken in a crockpot? Either way I am pulling my chicken out to thaw when I go to refill my coffee this morning! YUM!

Cristy
01-16-2007, 09:51 AM
darn...I don't have any curry powder! :pout:

cookworm
01-16-2007, 10:11 AM
1/2 melted butter (marg)

One question--is it 1/2 cup of melted butter, or 1/2 stick? :??

gingergal4l8r
01-16-2007, 12:44 PM
Girls I am happy that I helped you with your kntting to help with dinner.

To Cookworm the reciepe calls for 1/2 cup. I am not sure what 1/2 stick is.

In Canada our blocked marg comes in 1/2 cup blocks and that is what I use.

Hope that helps..

To Yarn Mommy crockpot works just as well, low heat for about 4 hours.

Sorry I have not figured out how to post the questions on my answer post like some do. :doh:

Jenelle
01-16-2007, 12:47 PM
My recipe-

Tell everyone to fend for themselves. :rofl:

gingergal4l8r
01-16-2007, 12:57 PM
I think there should be a recipe topic for all of knitters to share.

Jenelle
01-16-2007, 01:04 PM
On those days that I don't feel like cooking(or helping my mom cook), I like to make some kind of soup.

I like to cook ham, green beans, and potato soup; ham pot pie; or our casseroles(layer potatoes, some kind of frozen veggies, and some kind of meat on top, then put butter over it and bake at 350 for 2 hours :drooling: ).

There's so many that are easy, though. Just about anything that you can throw in the oven and let it cook for ours is fine with me. :shrug:

Vendie
01-16-2007, 04:33 PM
My recipe-

Tell everyone to fend for themselves. :rofl:

In my house, we call this GYODD - get your own d@mn dinner :teehee:

nadja la claire
01-16-2007, 05:24 PM
I like to cook and the slow cooker is a wonderful thing. I soak black beans over night, toast and grind up cumin seeds, saute onions, red and green peppers, and jalapenos, then I brown off some ground turkey (beef) and then put the cumin, ground meat w/onion and pepper in a container and place in the refrigerator over night. Then 1st thing in the morning put everything in the crockpot, Add oregano and sliced garlic, cook on low. When you're ready for dinner add canned tomato some really good hot sauce and frozen corn. And Voila! You got chili. I serve with shredded cheese, sour cream and Whole Food's guacomole. If I'm strapped for time I'll use canned beans and frozen peppers but I don't like prepared chili powder. I know this recipe sound like it takes a while but it really doesn't.

I also like mango curry chicken breasts. You take your chicken breasts and pound them lightly. In a saute pan with a lid saute sliced onions until translucent add a cup of chicken stock, a tsp (or to taste) of red curry paste. Desolve paste in stock and add Trader Joe's Mango Sauce (that's what I use) Add breasts to sauce, bring to boil, lower heat and cover. Let simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes. I serve over jasime rice.

As with the chili, while the chicken is simmering you are knitting. I think both dishes take about 20 minutes to prep.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

ChroniclesofYarnia
01-16-2007, 07:08 PM
That stuff sounds amazing, Nadja.

Gingergal, I just finished putting everythign into a pan. It smells fantastic, but it makes a TON of sauce! I probably could have used half, and it would have covered my 3 chicken breasts no problem. It will make yummy gravy when added to a roux. mmmmmm.......

Krystal
01-16-2007, 07:09 PM
Sorry I have not figured out how to post the questions on my answer post like some do. :doh:

ginger, in the questioners post, in the top right corner is a button with the word quote click that and it automatically sets up a post ith the quote.

To do multiple questions, you can just follow the quote code, and copy and paste questions....

here is an example, of the quote code.

[quote="KnittingFool"] How Did you do that? [/quote] this code will look like this. when posted.

How Did you do that?

So to add multiple questions, you can change the name of the poster, and change the words in between.

Also, thanks for the recipe. I've never tried curry, but I LOOOVE honey mustard!

psammeadred
01-16-2007, 09:54 PM
My favorite barbecue chicken recipe:

Put 4-6 pieces of frozen chicken in a crockpot.
Thinly slice an onion and a lemon, and layer them on top of the chicken.
Mix a bottle of your favorite barbecue sauce and a can of Coke or Pepsi and pour over chicken.

Cook on high for 2-3 hours, I think...check the chicken to make sure it's done. This chicken is a little tricky to get out of the crockpot, as it falls right off the bone!

gingergal4l8r
01-16-2007, 10:21 PM
That stuff sounds amazing, Nadja.

Gingergal, I just finished putting everythign into a pan. It smells fantastic, but it makes a TON of sauce! I probably could have used half, and it would have covered my 3 chicken breasts no problem. It will make yummy gravy when added to a roux. mmmmmm.......

Let me know how it taste, if you like it or not.

It is one thing for people to read it as a reciepe but to have the opinion is another....
:muah:

stagebear
01-16-2007, 11:20 PM
easy ham:

place a ham in a crockpot.
add 2 cups of borwn sugar and two cans of pepsi (or coke).
cook for 2.5 hours and enjoy!

nadja la claire
01-17-2007, 09:41 AM
This is a really quick recipe. Marinate lightly pounded chicken breasts in an Italian salad dressing (I use Chef Drew's Garlic and Herb and add grated parm and romano to it) for about and 2 hours (can be done over night) Cook in a preheated 350 degree oven for a 1/2 hour or until done. I like to serve this with Trader Joe's Wild and Basmati rice pilaf.

If there's leftover chicken I make wraps for lunch the next day. Dinner and lunch done.

Nadja xxx

ChroniclesofYarnia
01-17-2007, 06:36 PM
It was fabulous, and my husband took the leftovers to work with him this morning. I wanted some...hmpf.

My kids, on the other hand, acted like I was poisoning them. These are the same children who steal all my Chicken Tikka Masala and goat cheese bread when we order Indian. (Well, when we used to order Indian. No Indian joint up here in the new place.)

Thanks again!

gingergal4l8r
01-18-2007, 03:19 AM
HAHAAAA

My kids did not like it at first either, but now my daughter makes it for dinner at least every 2 weeks.

Glad you and your hubby liked it.! :cheering:

puppyluv
01-18-2007, 09:50 PM
Chicken Quesadilla's!

This recipe is so simple and a complete rip-off of Taco Bell.

1. Slightly moisten a paper towel and place on plate.
2. Put large tortilla on plate.
*note: following toppings are only applied to HALF the tortilla, for easy folding!*
3. Add "southwestern flavor" chicken, found pre-cooked and pre-sliced (and pre-packaged) at grocery store. I just rip it into bits, a little goes a long way.
4. Add shredded cheese, I especially like colby-jack with bits of jalapeno in it.
5. Squirt on some "zesty ranch" salad dressing. <--key ingredient!
6. Use paper towel to fold in half, and leave towel on to moisten tortilla while cooking. Microwave for like...a minute, or until melty.
7. Cut in wedges and serve with taco sauce, for dipping.

I'd just like to say, that although this recipe is ridiculously easy, when I came up with it, I thought I was some kind of god. How can something that yummy be so easy???

jodstr2
01-18-2007, 10:00 PM
:inlove: mmmmm GingerGal, that sounds so good!

:( I used up the last of my curry powder a couple weeks ago tho.

*adds curry powder to shopping list*

Krystal
01-19-2007, 06:35 PM
mmm, it's in the oven as I type :cheering:

.... if only I could knit! :oops:

(threw out my shoulder... am in quite intense pain just sitting... never mind knitting....)

:verysad:

nadja la claire
01-19-2007, 07:21 PM
Hey Gingergal I just put the chicken in the oven and I am now writing this which kind of defeats the purpose of making it so I could knit. I used peanut oil in stead of butter. I'm going to serve it with saffron basmati rice and steamed broc. Wish me luck.

Nadja xxx

nadja la claire
01-19-2007, 11:21 PM
OMG, that was some gooooooooood chicken!!! :cheering: :cheering: Thank you so much for the recipe. I didn't have enough honey so I added some peach preserves to the mix and it was so totally YUMMY My DH loved it and it hasn't been easy to get him to eat since he went back on chemo. Thanks again.

Nadja xxx

Krystal
01-20-2007, 02:28 PM
:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

SOOOO DELICIOUS! My Fiance even loved it and he can't stand rice. I omitted the curry, because I just haven't had the courage to try it, and the smell kinda makes me queasy.. But this was amazing. I used the left over chicken in a salad today, the sauce made a great honey dijon dressing. My fiance had it in a salad wrap with mayo, just as tasty!

:notworthy: :notworthy: :cheering: :cheering: