PDA

View Full Version : Wicked sweater

Pages : 1 [2] 3

thischicknits
02-24-2007, 01:24 AM
Hilde is right about the seam, but it isn't really obvious...at least on mine, the seam is pretty subtle.
Good luck!

itsjustmeghan
02-24-2007, 12:04 PM
hmmmm...so many decisions....
if i do the needle change to get the smaller size, would i have to try it on regularly to make sure that i don't change size mid boob? :teehee:
maybe the decreases would be better because i can really tell what size it will be and can control it a little more....

deb,
i'm so sorry to hear about your frogging! you'll be a pocket master in no time and will be teaching all of use how it should be done! :notworthy:

funny side note:
i teach knitting/crochet classes at work on fridays. i have a group of about 13 people who join me in our confrence room. one of the guys was having problems with his yarn bunching funny so he was knitting looser/changing gage to accomidate it, so his scarf just looked funny. he asked me if there was a way to fix it, and i said "i don't know...i think you're just going to have to frog it and watch your gage next time....
the whole group looked at me like i was speaking chinese....
i guess i never explained what "frogging" is. :doh: :roflhard:

candicane
02-24-2007, 12:15 PM
Here it is! Ignore the goofy pose, I am not photogenic and have a hard time getting a good picture of me and the sweater at the same time. I did the seed stitch at the bottom of the body and then two rounds (16 rows) of the cables on the sleeves followed by 4 rows of seed stitch.

candice

Petals
02-24-2007, 12:18 PM
:heart: :heart: Love your sweater. Nice job. Looks like you should be in a fashion magazine!

thischicknits
02-24-2007, 12:44 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:
That looks AWESOME!! Congratulations!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-24-2007, 01:13 PM
I love the seed stitch at the bottom!!!

If you do the decreases, DON'T start until you get to your waist! That's where you want the shaping, certailnly not mid-boob. :teehee:

jmp3775
02-24-2007, 02:26 PM
THAT LOOKS GREAT!

:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

thischicknits
02-24-2007, 03:30 PM
:teehee: Hilde said boob.

cindyln
02-24-2007, 05:55 PM
love the color!! Beautiful job on the sweater

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-24-2007, 07:42 PM
:teehee: Hilde said boob.
This is surprising to you? :teehee:

I started my 3rd ball of yarn today *sigh* It seems never ending.

itsjustmeghan
02-24-2007, 09:48 PM
:teehee: boob... yeah, i just keep thinking of people i knew in highschool that would wear empire waisted dresses and the waist would hit mid boob....not very flattering! :eyebrow:

i LOVE the picture and the pose, candicane! the pink shirt and the belt totally make the sweater that much better! i love it!

birthday party is over, baby is in bed, i'm exhuasted but excited about knitting...
so as promised here's the birthday boy eating cake. not quite as messy as i'd hoped, but he wanted to eat it instead of play with it....boy after my own heart! i'm not one to waste sweets! :oops:

i'm off to knit!

Petals
02-24-2007, 10:19 PM
Oh Meghan, what a sweetheart of a boy!!!

:heart: :heart: :heart: Love those eyes!

jmp3775
02-25-2007, 10:22 AM
Meghan, he's gorgoeus! DS didnt make too much mess with his first bday cake, either, but enough to enjoy it. I was expecting it in his hair and all over the chair, but he just got it on his face. Too cute!

debstein
02-25-2007, 10:38 AM
It's beautiful, Candice!! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: That color looks great on you.

Everyones' Wicked looks so good!

Meghan, your little guy is adorable - with those beautiful blue eyes, he's gonna be a heartbreaker!

I love how everyone is personalizing the pattern with their own unique changes.

I tried to take a new picture of my Wicked, but they all came out too blurry to use. :??

Someone asked what yarn I am using - it is Caron Simply Soft in Autumn Red, and I still like it! The knitted fabric feels soft and I really like the way it looks - plus it is cheap yarn.

I did finally get the pocket finished and knit it onto the bottom of the sweater, it still has to be handsewn at the top. I did the seed stitch along the bottom, not sure if I love it, but don't dislike it enough to change it. :teehee: :teehee:

Working on the sleeves now........hope to get a good picture soon.

aprildavis99
02-25-2007, 02:34 PM
Hey! I want CAKE!!! :oops:

That kid is gorgeous! What a SWEET face. :teehee:

CarmenIbanez
02-25-2007, 02:57 PM
Great sweaters, cute baby!

mrs desert rain
02-26-2007, 12:49 PM
love it, candicane!

just started mine yesterday, FINALLY. :)

cindyln
02-27-2007, 04:46 PM
I have to give feedback on knitpicks andean silk. IT ITCHES!!! and also stretches with wear. Several times during the knitting I tried wicked on and was happy with the fit. I even was happy with the fit when I was done. BUT after blocking and wearing it yesterday the yarn started stretching.By the end of the day the neckline was becoming an off the shoulder collar. I have it reblocking now,hoping to make it wearable. The yarn was a dream to knit with but I am not very happy with the wearablity of it.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-27-2007, 05:14 PM
Oh no!!!! :pout: I've *never* had a problem with andean silk.. I love how it feels on and off the needles. Did you wash and block your swatch? After washing and blocking it helps to let your swatch "hang" from somewhere, so see how it stretches. (I don't always do that part). Is the washed and blocked sweater different than the washed and blocked swatch?

You might try washing gently in woolite or some other gentle softener. That might help take the itchiness away.

candicane
02-27-2007, 05:26 PM
I made Tubey last year out of Andean Silk. I also find it to be slightly itchy. I wear a shirt under mine and it is not a problem. The alpaca makes it more drapey than another fiber like merino. I have found that I like merino better than alpaca.

candice

cindyln
02-27-2007, 05:48 PM
no I didn't wash my swatch. I didn't even think to do that. :shrug: I washed it again this morning,didn't let it spin and have it scruched up at the neck drying hoping that it will shrink some

itsjustmeghan
02-27-2007, 09:10 PM
now i'm worried! i didn't wash my swatch either! my sweater feels a tiny bit big right now, so i'm really worried it'll stretch out even bigger! :pout:

i've never really washed my sweater i made before... :oops: i've only worn it once or twice. i didn't even really block it...just kinda sprayed it down and let it air dry...i didn't pin it or anything...

how do you wash your sweater? i don't have woolite, but i was planning on using a really gentle low sulfate shampoo that i use. seemed like it would be gentle enough and doesn't have all te junk in it that other soaps do... :??

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-27-2007, 10:32 PM
Cindy, that should work... and if it doeasn't, and the neck is a bit bigger, just buy a push up bra with wide straps and show off your sholders a bit more!!!

I wonder if hand washing with some hair conditioner would make it softer... :thinking:

itsjustmeghan
02-27-2007, 11:21 PM
i bet it would! i use conditioner to wash my hair sometimes too! (curly hair trick.. makes my hair happy.) and wool IS hair....so it'd make sense that conditioner wouldn't hurt it!
i think i might give it a shot....worst case, i rinse it out! :happydance:
i'll let you know how it goes...oh wait....
i don't even have my sweater done yet!
:doh: :wall: :!!!: :grrr: :verysad: :pout:

funny aside.
i'm an underwriter at a mortgage company, and we got a loan for a borrower who has an alpaca farm! they had a website and everything showing their cute alpacas. and it looks like she sold handspun yarns from the alpaca wool! i wonder if i could get hooked up with some sweet yarn! :eyebrow: :teehee:

edit:
dang...i used a lot of smiley guys in this post! :oops: :rofl: :roflhard:

itsjustmeghan
03-02-2007, 09:22 PM
so? how are the Wicked's?

i haven't been able to work on mine too much...and the free time i had today was spent teaching my knitting group.

i'll try to get more done this weekend and post progress!
i have to figure out where i'm going to put my pocket if i'm making the sweater longer.... :??

cindyln
03-03-2007, 10:58 AM
I really like this sweater and loved the pattern,just not impressed with KP Andean Silk. It is very itchy. Here is a finished picture.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a253/cindyln/DSCF0392.jpg

Markette
03-03-2007, 11:22 AM
I got the pocket done yesterday and attatched it at the bottom. I'm working on the hem and then I'll block the pocket and sew it on and move on to the sleeves. I'm using KP Swish Superwash in Dark Navy and had to go up to size 10 needles to get guage. So far so good. I can't wait to finish the hem so I can try it on.

The actual color is much darker than the photo, but you can see more of the detail because of the flash.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m101/CMarkette/IMG_0001.jpg

Petals
03-03-2007, 12:45 PM
:cheering: That looks so nice on you!! Too bad the yarn isn't what you thought it might be. I love the pattern too. I am thinking about making another one with a little smaller neckline. Your's is great!! :thumbsup:

Petals
03-03-2007, 12:46 PM
Oh Markette, like the pocket. Lookin' good :cheering:

candicane
03-03-2007, 06:23 PM
Nice progress! How soft is the KP Swish. I have been tempted to try it.

Happy Birthday to ME! Hubby just gave me 8 skeins of ArtYarns Supermerino in colorway #117. Black white and gray. I can't wait to get started on my 2nd Wicked. Planning on long sleeves with the pocket this time. Anyone else make the small with pocket? Does it seem like the dimensions of the small pocket are too small?

candice

Petals
03-03-2007, 07:25 PM
:present: Happy Birthday, Candice! You lucky girl to have such a DH. Mine would break out in a rash if he had to go buy yarn!

mrs desert rain
03-03-2007, 08:33 PM
candicane, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :present:

i'm making wicked in small, and i'm planning on the pocket as well! but, i'm only just starting the increases...

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-03-2007, 10:13 PM
oooooooo :inlove: Love it MDR!!!

Cindy, it looks great! I'm sorry you don 't like the A.S... but at least you have plenty of room to wear a shirt under your sweater :)

jmp3775
03-03-2007, 11:55 PM
I will post pics tomorrow, but I finished Wicked yesterday. I'm really bummed because it is too big. I can probably wear it, but definitely not the most falattering sweater I own :grrr: .

itsjustmeghan
03-04-2007, 10:22 AM
oh, jenn i'm so sorry to hear that! :( can you block it a little smaller? i don't even know if that's a possibility!
i'm terrified that will be the case with mine. i'm going to put it on a second set of needles today and try it on....i just finished my decreases...i guess i don't picture myself this big, so i'll have to see how it looks on. that's the true test!

what do you guys think...

should i add hte length at the end of the sweater or in the middle?
i guess it's just a matter of where i place the pocket. should i do it where the patter tells me to? or move it down a couple inchest since i'm going to be lengthening the sweater a couple inches? :shrug:

sweater looks great mrs.desert rain!
cindy i'm sorry to hear it itches. i ahve mine knitted up in AS too...i guess i thought it was SUPER soft compared to the manos sweater i have...SO FREAKING ITCHY!!!! :pout:

Petals
03-04-2007, 10:33 AM
Jenn, my sweater was too big in the neckline and sleeves. I re-blocked it. It seemed to help. But, after wearing it a while I thought it stretched :shrug: I used Mmm. I would like to make another one but use a different yarn and make a smaller neckline. I really like the pattern, it just needs to be tweaked for me.

Markette
03-04-2007, 02:55 PM
Mine is pretty big, too. The sleeves especially are huge. I need to start doing some quick decreases.

jmp3775
03-04-2007, 03:26 PM
Well, here it is. The pics are pretty bad- hubby not home so mirror shots.
Markette, I did 3 sets of sleeve decreases. I knit 2 rows- decreased-knit 7- decreased-knit 7-decreased. I like the way the sleeves fit. Its the boobage and the middle I dont like.

Malabrigo in Paris Night
size 10.5 Options
gauge- spot ON
second size

candicane
03-04-2007, 03:53 PM
I think it looks nice on you and love the color!

candice[/i]

Petals
03-04-2007, 08:04 PM
I agree with candice--looks good. I really like how your color turned out--very even all over. :thumbsup:

itsjustmeghan
03-04-2007, 08:15 PM
i think it looks nice!
if you don't like the fit, is there anything you can do to tighten it up?
i don't know how that works since there are no side seems...can you sew in darts somehow?
i'm totally guessing here..

i think it looks nice, though!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-04-2007, 10:45 PM
Jenn, it looks great!!!

Re: too-bigness (it's a word!) ... You *could* do a mattress stitch on the side "seams" (where the markers were) to take it in some, but you'd have extra material bulk on the insiddes...

itsjustmeghan
03-05-2007, 01:05 PM
well, the too-bigness (lookie! i'm using a new word!) seems to be a common problem...
i chose the pattern with enough room for the girls, but now it seems that the decreases weren't drastic enough to hug my sides/waist. i'm struggling with myself on what i should do. deal with it? and face the fact that sweaters aren't usually flattering, and i should be happy that this one fits period, or tearing it all the way back to the increases and going with the smaller size hoping that it won't look rediculous and stretched threadbare in the chest area. :verysad:

would it look rediculous and not work well if i tore it back to the decreases, and did them more then every 3 rows so i could get more in there?
or, would it work if i did their decreases and changed to smaller size needles a la hilde?
:??

candicane
03-05-2007, 01:21 PM
It is a little hard to tell from the photo, but it looks like it might be a little too big under the arms? If you frogged back some of the increases, would the chest be too small?

I made the short sleeve small and did the waist decreases differently. I started the decreases one inch lower than the pattern. Then I decreased one stitch on each side of each marker (4 stitches per round) I also did one extra round of decreasing, otherwise mine was also too big in the waist.

candice

KathyinCali
03-05-2007, 01:24 PM
I think it came out beautiful :)

itsjustmeghan
03-05-2007, 01:29 PM
hmmm...maybe decreases on each side of the marker would help?
i think the sleeves actually fit well, they just look kinda big right now because they are really loose on scrap yarn. i tried to pull them in so you could see it better, but they weren't cooperating... :grrr:
i was worried this sweater would be too big, just because i have a very severe hourglass shape. larger chest, small waist, and then big old hips. and i absolutely hate when sweaters stretch thin across my chest...just makes it look like i'm trying to squeeze into something i shouldn't be...but i hate having my figure swallowed up by extra fabric...

did you do the knit two together and ssk decreases on either side? or just knit two together?

i'll look at the decreases page and see what options i have...that will add an extra 6 decreases...that should help!

candicane
03-05-2007, 01:37 PM
Ahhh, I did not think about the arms looking loose on scrap yarn.

I did ssk/k2tog. I think the extra decreases helped. I tried it via the pattern first and did not like the decreases and ended up frogging.

candice

itsjustmeghan
03-05-2007, 01:41 PM
thanks so much for the help candicane! (and for the compliment, Kathy)

so, last silly question before i frog.......
just to be sure,
i do a SSK decrease before the marker
slip marker
and then do a knit two together...right?

did you do a lifeline before you frogged? i've never torn a sweater out this far, and i HATE trying to pick up stitches like this...never done a lifeline before either..........

okay...so that was 2 questions! :teehee:

Petals
03-05-2007, 01:44 PM
You know on some of my sweaters decreases I ssk, k1, SM, k1, k2tog. I think this is a little smoother for me. :shrug:

itsjustmeghan
03-05-2007, 01:47 PM
sounds like a plan! :muah: :cheering:

now i have to frog.... :pout:

jmp3775
03-05-2007, 02:43 PM
Meghan

I think the double decreases will definitely do the trick. I am considering frogging back mine, too. I would still try it on, and maybe do an extra couple of sets of decreases while you are at it!
If you have a small circular, it isnt hard to pick up the stitches before you frog. Like a 4 or under. Good luck!

Jenn

ecuzzacrea
03-05-2007, 03:19 PM
still waiting on my yarn from KnitPicks. :pout:

maybe today will be my lucky day!

MaryS
03-05-2007, 05:56 PM
One thing I've done when I've been frogging a long way is to stop the major rriibbiitt frogging one round before I get to where I want to be, then frog the rest of the way by pulling out just one stitch at a time and slipping that on the needles.

That way I get ALL the stitches, didn't have to worry whether I got a lifeline all in the same row, and I can make sure all the stitches a seating the right way around on the needle. Picking up with a needle that's one or two sizes smaller is great too, then just start knitting with the right size.

Sorry you need to frog, but you'll like it better if it fits the way YOU want!

Mary

Markette
03-05-2007, 06:10 PM
Nice progress! How soft is the KP Swish. I have been tempted to try it.

The Swish is very soft. I almost don't believe it's wool, it's so soft. I'd use it again in a heartbeat.

itsjustmeghan
03-07-2007, 01:16 PM
frogged back. it wasn't as bad as i thought it'd be. didn't get much knitting in last night. i'm hoping to get some knitting in today at lunch....
who knows! :shrug:

anybody else near finishing? haven't heard from some of you lately :pout:

ecuzzacrea
03-07-2007, 03:37 PM
FINALLY got my yarn from Knit Picks last night - it only took 2 weeks. :doh:

I got the Swish Superwash in Deep Ocean and it's a great color. I was nervous, but it really is a pretty blue color.

Hopefully I can swatch it this weekend. :)

itsjustmeghan
03-07-2007, 04:22 PM
yeah!!! :happydance:

i learned that same way not to use their free shipping... it took FOREVER! :wall:
next time, i'll gladly pay for the 2 day. :teehee:

how is the super swish? i guess i picture it being not as soft as the arean silk...like it would knit up stiffer...
i want to knit a hoodie of some sort and am toying with using super swish next time....

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-07-2007, 06:53 PM
I havent knit a STITCH in almost a week :pout:

Angelia
03-07-2007, 06:56 PM
I havent knit a STITCH in almost a week :pout:

It's okay!! Wicked still loves you--I hear whispers! :hug:

mrs desert rain
03-07-2007, 08:07 PM
i'm only 2 inches into my increases! :neutral: i do love the pattern, though.

my DH is going out of town this weekend -- and that means LOTS of time for knitty stuff! :cheering:

Compulsive
03-07-2007, 11:42 PM
I'm still around. My arms and wrists are a bit stiff, still, after digging out from two weekends in a roll of 12+ in. snowstorms. I did sucessfully get my sleeve stitches onto extra option cables! :happydance: I hope to soak some more, and be ready to knit away this weekend.

That is, unless another storm blows through here. :-x

KellyK
03-08-2007, 10:02 AM
:psst: Dont tell the Pomotomus KAL, I put those socks aside and CO for Wicked last night with some Persimmon Karabella Aurora 8 (http://www.flyingfingers.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20_189_229_627&products_id=838) I've had sitting in my stash.... Chix is having a KAL for the Wed night "Chix Lounge" ladies. :hiding:

MaryS
03-08-2007, 10:52 AM
Kelly,

I'm telling.....I'm telling. :psst:

Hey, no one around here expects you to be a MONOGAMOUS knitter!!! :teehee:

This way you can be a Wicked Pomatomus when they're done! :cheering: :roflhard: :cheering: :roflhard:

Mary

KellyK
03-08-2007, 11:27 AM
:teehee:

itsjustmeghan
03-10-2007, 12:20 AM
hehehee

well, i won't get any knitting done this weekend....ended up having to bring a ton of work home with me this weekend. :wall: while this does mean overtime (OT=more yarn), i'd rather be knitting!! l
i also forgot my Wicked bag on my desk at work :oops:

so, where is Chix at exactly? i'd love to meet up for some Wicked knitting.

KellyK
03-10-2007, 01:49 AM
That would be AWESOME, Meghan! Our open knit night is Wednesday... but, you're welcome any time the store is open.

Chix is in Forest Park.... near Harlem and Madison. PM me if you need directions!

I am about 5" into this sweater and have now discovered that Im off gauge. My swatch was SPOT ON. :!!!: I wonder if I would do okay to just go up a needle size right now.... opinions?

KellyK
03-11-2007, 12:55 AM
I frogged at Chix today so I could do so with moral support. Turns out some of our customers were made to feel better because "real knitters" have to frog sometimes, too. Glad I could help. :roll:

:teehee:

Now Im done with the neckline & 2 increase repeats. My crossables are crossed.... I cant really re-measure my gauge until the thing is long enough to lay a stockinette section flat. :pray:

itsjustmeghan
03-11-2007, 11:45 AM
my fingers are crossed, kelly!!! :heart:
nice that you have some encouraging folks around to support you while you frogged!

still no knitting here....i'm itching for some good knit time.

thischicknits
03-11-2007, 07:20 PM
I am sending you moral support - and would do it even if you weren't there for MY need of moral support!

:heart: It'll look great when it's done - and so will you!

itsjustmeghan
03-13-2007, 02:50 PM
:happydance: finally got some knitting in last night and this morning! :happydance:
did all my decreases, and ended up adding one more round just to make it fit nice. i'll knit straight for a few more inches and then start my increases. (silly hourglass shape!)

i gotta figure out where/when i need to add my pocket.
i'm thinking i might knit up the sleeves just to make knitting a little more interesting...

any suggestions for closing the hole in the armpit when i go back and pick up those stitches? i wasn't planning on having pit vents! :teehee:

Markette
03-13-2007, 03:01 PM
I frogged my first sleeve last night and started over. My sweater is not at all fitted like it's supposed to be (maybe I had some issues with picking a size from the ones listed -- what measurement is that, exactly? -- because my guage, if anything, was a little small). Anyway, because of the raglan shaping, that makes the sleeves really wide, too. I was doing some decreases along the way, but they were still way too wide. So this time, I picked up 5 stitches in the vent and then started alternating k2tog, k1, ssk in the armpit with a knit row. So far so good, but it's slow going and I get tired of swinging the whole sweater around as I go around the sleeve. I do think I'll enjoy the sweater if I can ever get it finished. In the meantime, the pocket sure does make a handy place to store my ball of yarn when I'm not working on it!

thischicknits
03-14-2007, 11:27 PM
I'm back in the game! My mala-evil did me wrong and I had to basically frog the entire (one-sleeve-short-of-being-finished) thing. I got set up with RYC Cotton jeans and am loving it! I haven't had a chance to CO yet but will hope to do so soon!

:cheering:

debstein
03-16-2007, 11:00 AM
That's so funny, Kelly! :roflhard: I was into the mindless sleeve knitting when I was seduced by the Pomatomus KAL and some STR in lemongrass. Apparently I have the knitting attention span of a gnat. :shrug:

Anyway, I have been trying to work on the Wicked sleeves when watching TV, but no matter how many rows I knit, they don't seem to be getting any longer....... :pout:

On the other hand, the Pomatomus sock is looking fabulous!!

KellyK
03-16-2007, 11:22 AM
I finished the increases last night!!!! Stayed up til 3AM to do so because I was on a roll and wanted that part to be DONE DONE DONE with the growth phase! Cant wait to try it on..... :woohoo:

thischicknits
03-16-2007, 01:47 PM
:woohoo:

GO KELLY!!! :happydance: :cheering:

CarmenIbanez
03-16-2007, 01:52 PM
Pics? :poke:

KellyK
03-16-2007, 02:51 PM
IT FIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTSSSSSSSSSSSSS!! :woot:

I couldnt take a pic because it only comes to the bottom of my boobs and this is a PG-13 type site! :teehee:

IrishKnitter
03-16-2007, 04:13 PM
Hi there, Wicked knitters! KellyK and Renee have talked me into doing Wicked. This will be my first sweater!! :cheering: Do any of you have any yarn recs? Thanks! :muah:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-16-2007, 08:18 PM
I'm doing mine in malabrigo.... Margaret didn't have sucess with it though :pout:
Just make sure that whatever you use isn't itchy. :shrug:

itsjustmeghan
03-16-2007, 10:31 PM
YEAH KELLY!!! :cheering: :muah:

welcome Irish knitter! i'm doing mine in kp andean silk. so nice to knit with and doesn't feel scratchy (to me anyway). nice stuff!

hilde, i love your avatar! i need to get one up.... :pout:

oh yeah...

did all of my decreases, and it's much better. funny thing is, had to start my increases for my hips after about 2 or 3 inchest of straight stockinette... :shrug: because i'm tired of knitting stockinette, i started the sleeves tonight. finished one, and i'm going to start the other soon...

i'm hoping to get wicked done this weekend. found out this week that i have to get my gallbladdar removed. :pout: SO i thought if i finished my wicked, i'd treat myself to some new yarn for a new sweater project to keep me busy while i'm healing up! :happydance: you know...a treat for myself! :teehee:
i'm thinking maybe the pinwheel sweater in a solid ivory would be nice....and would work well for cool summer evenings!

butterflymama
03-17-2007, 01:24 AM
I just had mine removed in February. Tons of fun I gotta tell ya. :roll: Good luck! Hang in there!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-17-2007, 01:30 PM
:ick: good luck with that!!! :hug:

KellyK
03-18-2007, 01:50 AM
I tried on my Wicked again to see if I should do more waist decreases... I took a pic for y'all.... please ignore the sliver of tummy and also the "Blue Steel" look that I had to do for Andee (CarmenIbanez). :shifty:

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/files/wicked_blue_steel.jpg

Jillle
03-18-2007, 02:24 AM
Kelly,
Is that "Blue Steel" or "Magnum". Either way, its uber sexy!

itsjustmeghan
03-18-2007, 09:26 AM
damn, kelly! that's a jordache model pose if i ever saw one! SO sassy!
you are a crazy speed knitter!!! you're passing me up! sweater looks great! i love the color!

i finished my sleeves last night and noticed the cables on them looked different then my neckline....i guess i decided to skip the K the Ks and P the Ps on rows 2 and 4 and just did twists on every row! :oops: oh well. nice texture variations. :doh:

today i'm knitting the pocket up and i'll figure out where i want it to sit. i was thinking last night that i'm not going to bother counting stitches and marking where the top is going to go....i'm just going to count for the bottom and figure out placement for the top. as long as i pin it centered, i think it'll work out just fine. besides, i don't have those fancy markers anyway. :teehee:

KellyK
03-18-2007, 11:00 AM
:cheering: I"M LIKE A JORDACHE MODEL!!! :cheering:

:shifty:

I really didnt do much but knit yesterday... got alot done. :shrug:

Thanks for the compliments! :muah:

itsjustmeghan
03-18-2007, 04:47 PM
question on the pocket.
i got mine knitted up today, and it's shaped differently then i expected....there is a seed stitch along the sides where your hands go in...but then towards the bottom of the pocket, they had me castoff that edge on each side....so if i sew the pocked on along the top and the bottom, do i sew it down along the sides and along this bindoff? or do i leave those to flap around? it's just different then i thought it'd look....

like the seed stitch should have gone down to the bottom.....

KellyK
03-18-2007, 08:35 PM
I would sew up that little bit of side... just leave the seed st portion open. It looks GREAT!

Markette
03-18-2007, 10:19 PM
I straightened up the edge when I sewed mine on. That kind of rounded out the seed-stitch part as well.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m101/CMarkette/IMG_0005-1.jpg

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-18-2007, 10:25 PM
ooooooooo :inlove:

IrishKnitter
03-18-2007, 10:29 PM
Preeeeeeeeeeeeeetty!! :cheering: :cheering: Markette, what kind of yarn are you using??

itsjustmeghan
03-18-2007, 10:43 PM
marquette, yours looks so nice! :cheering: yeah! thanks for the idea on the pocket. i guess i'll see how it looks once i get it all put together!

okay...so i tried mine on and i'm frustrated....what's the point in doing a swatch, and following the pattern to get the measurements you need if it's going to be big?! i double checked my gage, and i'm spot on...but this thing is going to be big :pout:
i'm so frustrated! i thought it'd be a fit sweater like in the picture!
do you think i can shrink it a little when it's all done? :shrug:
i've torn it back 1 time already, i do not want to rip it out again! :!!!:

Markette
03-19-2007, 01:58 AM
Thanks for the compliments! The wool is knitpicks superwash swish in dark navy. I'm glad I didn't spend too much on it, because I've been really disappointed in the size issue as well. The blame lies squarely on my shoulders, though -- I think I made the wrong size! I actually like the baggier fit in the torso area, but the resulting fullness in the arms is awkward. I finished off the one sleeve at three-quarter length, and it'll be fine for around the house, but I'm just not happy with the overall shape. The weight of the sweater pulls the neckline down, making the baggy armpit problem even worse.

Not to be bested by a :!!!: sweater, though, I just placed a midnight order at from yarn.com for some artyarns supermerino. Now that I've had a practice run, I will be able to get it right with the good stuff, right? Right?

AND I can do experiments on this one to see if the KP Swish really does shrink/fuzz/fade.

KellyK
03-19-2007, 12:59 PM
I need some i-dears. I like the look of the cabled ribbing at the bottom of the sweater, but I DONT want it to pull in. Im thinking if I increased substantially before I started the ribbing, it might even itself out. Whadday'all think? :shrug:

Petals
03-19-2007, 02:28 PM
KK, I did the cabling at the bottom in Mmm. Mine does not pull in at all but I really think it must be the yarn. If I had used some other yarn it might have been a different story. Mmm is sure soft but maybe not my best choice for this pattern.

Sounds like a plan to do the increases and then the cable pattern if your looking for a looser fit. :shrug:

she11y
03-19-2007, 02:32 PM
I haven't posted on this KAL before but I have been following the thread. I just finished my Wicked and I'm pretty happy with it. It is my first sweater for me. I've made a few top-down children's sweaters before.

I made the Large size with KnitPicks Swish Superwash in Fired Red. I realized when I was knitting the Large that it was going to be too big so I stopped a few rounds early and separated the arms. I also added several inches to the length. The arms were too large so I used a smaller needle to do the arm ribbing.

If I made this sweater again, I'd make the medium but add more increases for my hips and I'd use a smaller needle for the neck ribbing.

Overall, though, I'd say I like it and plan to wear it often.

Petals
03-19-2007, 02:38 PM
That looks wonderful. I like the way your neck fits. I did the small and my neck is huge.

Very nice :thumbsup:

ecuzzacrea
03-19-2007, 02:45 PM
I just started mine and I'm enjoying reading everyone's tips, etc.

I'm using Knitpicks Swish Superwash as well.

I'm thinking that I might do the size small. I was going to do the medium because I have a 34 in chest, but it seems that everyone's are turning out big even with gauge. Hmmm...

I just cast on last night and it's the same number of stitches for both sizes so it wouldn't be an issue. I only got to the 1st row last night before I had to set it down.

Petals
03-19-2007, 03:16 PM
Yeah, I am a 34 and did the small and it was still too big in the top. But, I really think it was the yarn choice.

ecuzzacrea
03-19-2007, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the info Petals!

I think I'm going to go with the small and see how it ends up on the top. :)

itsjustmeghan
03-19-2007, 04:48 PM
definately go small. i was worried mine would be tight, but i did the exact measurement i needed around the chest, and it's knitting up HUGE!
next time i do a sweater, i'll probably do a smaller size and then just add some short rows for the girls.

Markette
03-19-2007, 04:54 PM
It looks so pretty in red!

ecuzzacrea
03-19-2007, 05:46 PM
definately go small. i was worried mine would be tight, but i did the exact measurement i needed around the chest, and it's knitting up HUGE!
next time i do a sweater, i'll probably do a smaller size and then just add some short rows for the girls.

Thanks for the head's up. I really want the fitted look that's on the pattern. :)

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-19-2007, 06:31 PM
I think that this patterns runs big because the designer assumed people would be wearing something underneath of it.

Markette
03-19-2007, 06:34 PM
I think that this patterns runs big because the designer assumed people would be wearing something underneath of it.

That's true, I can wear one of my husband's shirts under mine with no problem. :teehee:

itsjustmeghan
03-19-2007, 07:24 PM
that's true.
i've been trying it with shirts on, and still big....oh well! :shrug:
i'll see if i can shrink this puppy a little!

i like the red too! so pretty! :happydance:

kristinw
03-19-2007, 07:30 PM
I'm glad that I am seeing all this before I start mine. I'll be sure to go small. I'd like it a bit fitted also. I hope my mmmm doesn't fail me!

ecuzzacrea
03-20-2007, 12:58 PM
That's probably true Hildie. Although, I'd only wear something really tight under that.

I think I have to start over. I'm finding it hard to work only 124 stitches on that long needle they recommend. I knit tight on top of that so I have to figure something out. Maybe I can try and cast on looser.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-20-2007, 01:44 PM
I used a smaller needle at the top; since I needed 2 circs of the sleeves anyway, I just switched to the longer one once the increases were done

I really need to finish this sweater.

Yarn Doc
03-20-2007, 05:50 PM
I have a question about the sleeves:

Having never done magic loop before, all I want to do is add a few cable rows to the end of my sleeves. Could I just pick-up the stitches w/ dpns and do a few rows? Or maybe a 12" circ, which would be the easiest option? And should I use the size 4 or the size 7?

Thanks!

ecuzzacrea
03-20-2007, 07:54 PM
I used a smaller needle at the top; since I needed 2 circs of the sleeves anyway, I just switched to the longer one once the increases were done

I really need to finish this sweater.

Yeah, I'm going to switch to a shorter circ.

I've never done the two circs for knitting in the round. Maybe I'll try that for the sleeves.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-21-2007, 10:53 AM
Linda, I think margaret was using DPNs for her sleeve before she frogged...

itsjustmeghan
03-21-2007, 12:20 PM
i should finish knitting mine up today! :happydance:
finishing the bottom and then i just need to stitch on the pocket the rest of the way. hopefully i'll get that done at lunch today.

this may be TMI....but,
i think i figured out why mine is SO big instead of just sorta big...when i took measurements, i was still breastfeeding/pumping full time...we've since weaned down to 2 feedings a day...i realized this morning that i can fit into the pre-preggo bras, so my chest shrunk, and i looks like i lost more baby weight... i shrunk out of my wicked... :pout:
hopefully i can get the wicked to shrink a little bit.
i thought maybe i could pull off wearing it, so i tried it on last night. DH said "Wow! that's cool.....it's too big, though...why'd you make it so baggy?" :doh:

so, i guess i'm saying, if you are starting off, just make sure you try it on especially when you get to where you tie the sleeves off. if it's too big then, it'll always be too big! mine was a little big, but now it's HUGE!

ecuzzacrea
03-21-2007, 12:46 PM
I switched to a shorter circ last night for the neck and I'm almost done with the first 2 inches. :)

KellyK
03-21-2007, 03:39 PM
Im sowwy, Meghan... that just STINKS. I hope you can wear it anyway! That's alot of work!

An update on my bottom situation... :teehee:

I increased in every OTHER st, and Im halfway through the cabled ribbing... its lookin good! Its just taking FOREVER because I have almost as many sts as I did before tying off the arms....

Those of you who have done the long-sleeved version... am I right in thinking they suggest a bell sleeve? :thinking:

ecuzzacrea
03-21-2007, 05:04 PM
Crap!

I just finished the collar and must have been off somewhere because about 1/4 of my crossovers aren't correct. They really don't look that bad, but I can't decide if it's going to bother me in the end. :wall:

I'm not that far in that it makes a big difference, but my knitting time is so limited now. Darn mistakes :verysad:

What to do, what to do...hmmm.

ecuzzacrea
03-21-2007, 05:05 PM
An update on my bottom situation... :teehee:

:rofl:

Glad to hear you've got your bottom situation all worked out.

Petals
03-21-2007, 05:18 PM
KK, yes I think it is somewhat flared, but I decided not to do that and took it in some. I don't know as I would call it belled though. :shrug: If I remember right I think I only took a few stitches in. Nothing too drastic.

KellyK
03-21-2007, 05:58 PM
Yeah... I think that I will deacrease on the way down. It'll be easy enough to try it on for that.... :thinking:

:teehee: Im still giggling at "my bottom situation".

Markette
03-21-2007, 08:02 PM
OK, here's my finished Wicked.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m101/CMarkette/IMG_0003_1.jpg
Not the most flattering thing I've ever worn.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m101/CMarkette/IMG_0004.jpg
See how much I had to decrease the sleeves to find my arm in there?

candicane
03-21-2007, 08:51 PM
I did my sleeves with a #7 12inch circ. I added about an extra inch of stockinette before starting the cables (short sleeve). After the cables I did 4 rows of seed stitch to coordinate with the seedstitch at the hem. (I didn't do the pocket).

I know some people find 12 inch circs akward, but I love them.

candice

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-21-2007, 09:37 PM
Markette, I think it looks great!

Petals
03-21-2007, 09:56 PM
Markette, looks good. I like the pocket. Nice! :thumbsup:

Jillle
03-22-2007, 12:40 AM
I love the color and the pocket looks sooo great! :cheering:

KellyK
03-22-2007, 03:28 AM
I bound of my bottom tonight! It turned out REALLY well... you may remember I increased in every OTHER st around before I started the cables.... well, I started to BO as usual, but it was flaring out. So, I undid that BO and started over by k2tog on the cabled sts and BO in P for the P sts. So, K2tog, P2 while BO.

Now I have to pu the arm sts.... I think Ill start dc'ing right away... is that what you did, Markette? How often did you dc?

You look GREAT, btw... How often are ya gonna hold yer arms out to the side like that, anyway? :shrug: :teehee:

itsjustmeghan
03-22-2007, 10:29 AM
yeah markette! it's so pretty! i love it! the color is perfect!
yours fits kinda like mine, but if i look as good as you do in yours? then i'll be fine! :happydance:

i can't wait to see yours, kelly!

i castoff my bottom last night. i ended up doing the seed stitch on the bottom, because i didn't want to think about increasing to get the cables to work. it looks nice, though. i'm going to stitch the pocket up at work. and then i will block when i get home tonight....i'm kinda nervous about that part... :pout:

Markette
03-22-2007, 10:37 AM
You guys are too kind. I washed it last night, and I like it a bit better now. I meant it to be a replacement of my $15 Old Navy sweater that was pilled and fuzzy and o-so-comfy before I finally wore it to pieces, and I think it will do nicely for that.

Now I have to pu the arm sts.... I think Ill start dc'ing right away... is that what you did, Markette? How often did you dc?

I picked up 5 stitches in each armhole to close the gap and then knit around to the armhole, k2tog, k1, ssk, knit the next round, decrease the next round until I ran out of that ball of yarn, tried it on, and decided I liked the length. If you want long sleeves, I'd add another knit round or two (depending on how much extra width you have) in between so it tapers more gently toward the wrist.

KellyK
03-22-2007, 12:27 PM
WOW! You started decreasing right away! Im not planning on picking up any sts in the armholes because I crossed over the 2 sts when I tied them off... kinda like I was joining to work in the round when I came to both armholes. So, I am a few sts ahead of the game... I may have to seam a small gap closed on each side, but its fairly neatly done, so it should look alright.

thanks for the advice, Markette!

itsjustmeghan
03-22-2007, 05:20 PM
i finished at lunch today! :happydance: :cheering: :happydance:
i tried it on and modeled it for the girls i was knitting with and a few people in my department. they were all VERY impressed! of course, i didn't have a mirror to see how it looked finished, but they all just couldn't believe i made that myself they didn't notice the bagginess. i guess it could be worse...and i'm probably being rough on myself.
i'll take a picture tonight when i get home before i block it.

maybe i'll knit another one in a smaller size. :shrug:

thischicknits
03-22-2007, 09:53 PM
One for the YarnHO

itsjustmeghan
03-22-2007, 10:06 PM
oh awesome!!!! your's looks great! :cheering:
pre-blocked. i'm hoping it looks better once it's all uniform and hopefully smaller!

Yarn Doc
03-22-2007, 10:23 PM
I finished it! I haven't blocked it yet or anything, but I did wear it today. It's a little on the loose side, but that's better than being too tight. And the karabella aurora 8 is soooo soft.

Do you like my yarn boob? :teehee: I look very naughty in that picture Margaret!

ETA:
Hmm...I guess my file is too big. Check out my flickr pics...http://flickr.com/photos/55055617@N00/430971276/

thischicknits
03-22-2007, 10:40 PM
:teehee: yarn boob!

IrishKnitter
03-22-2007, 11:24 PM
Meghan and Linda! Those look fannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnntastic! I'd better get started!!! :out:

Markette
03-23-2007, 02:03 AM
Now I wish I had done short sleeves -- so cute!!

IrishKnitter
03-24-2007, 01:33 AM
Grrr...I can't get gauge yet...I tried on sz. 8 and 9 addis. I'm getting 5 stitches/inch, rather than 4.5 st/in. I guess I'll go up to sz. 10 needles. I read back through the thread, and I saw that Hildie was using sz. 10s. What size needles did other people end up using?

KellyK
03-24-2007, 08:59 AM
Im using 7's... :shrug: But, you are a bit of a tight knitter... I could feel it in your fetchings. :teehee:

You might also try playing with the way you wrap your yarn around or through your fingers....

she11y
03-24-2007, 09:19 AM
I used size 10 needles. If I make this sweater again, though, I'd use size 8 needles for the neck and arm ribbing and size 10 for the rest.

IrishKnitter
03-24-2007, 10:59 AM
You might also try playing with the way you wrap your yarn around or through your fingers....

I know...I just kinda have this weird way that I grab onto it. If I did it differently, it might help with tension, right?

Thanks for the tip, she11y...were the cables too loose?

she11y
03-24-2007, 12:02 PM
The cables and the neck ribbing were too loose for me. I think I knit stockinette stitch pretty tightly but everything else (cables, ribbing, lace) looser.

IrishKnitter
03-24-2007, 12:06 PM
I FINALLY got gauge in sz. 10. Phew! I thought I'd be knitting the sweater with :!!!: ing sz. 13's or something!

She11y, maybe I'll start the ribbing with a 9, and then switch to the 10 for the stockinette. :thinking: Sometimes I have the same problem with my cables. Plus, I don't want the neck to be too wide. Thanks!

Petals
03-24-2007, 01:23 PM
If I were to make this over again I would go with at least 2 sizes smaller needles for the neckline. I'm surprised too that it was so big since I have knit the Green Gable pattern that they have and didn't have any problems with fit :shrug: Anyway, I think I'll do another GG for spring and summer wear.

KellyK
03-25-2007, 02:00 AM
What yarn did you use for Green Gables, Petals??

Kate... I kinda wish my neckline were a smidgen looser like it is in the pattern pic... but, see what ya think when you get a couple of repeats in...

IrishKnitter
03-25-2007, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone! :muah:

Kelly, I like how your neckline isn't as wide as the ones in the picture! :thumbsup:

Petals
03-25-2007, 10:46 AM
KK, I used cotton fleece. I love it. Wash and wear. Does not shrink. The neckline is so pretty on..

KellyK
03-25-2007, 10:58 AM
Ah... I was trying to find a good sub, as Chix doesnt sell Brown Sheep. :shrug:

IrishKnitter
03-25-2007, 11:07 AM
I don't have my full pattern yet, b/c the store ran out, and I'm waiting for the new ones to come in. Could someone tell me what the bust measurement for the large is again? If I remember correctly, it was something like 41"-44"?

Thanks!

Petals
03-25-2007, 11:19 AM
Yeah, KK, I'd like to make my next one in something different too. So let me know if you come up with something. I have made a lot with cotton fleece and want to move on to something else.

itsjustmeghan
03-25-2007, 03:32 PM
hmmm...i was checking out that green gables pattern, petals, and i'm intregued. what could i use from knitpicks that would be like the cotton fleece (i'm guessing that's a brown sheep yarn?)
i was thinking maybe super swish would work....washable, and worsted....what do you think?

Petals
03-25-2007, 04:30 PM
I don't have alot of experience with swish, except made a hat with it. When I washed it--seemed alittle floppy because I was knitting at a looser gauge. I just chose the cotton content because of summer wear. Swish is really soft and if knit on smaller needles I think it would give a nice fabric.

cotton fleece is from brown sheep.

KellyK
03-25-2007, 05:50 PM
I think the Shine Worsted would work better for summer... the gauge is about right. :shrug:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-25-2007, 09:46 PM
I have several balls of shine worsted in watermelon (red) thatI would be willing to part with... they're all even wound into little yarn cakes! (i know I have at least 12, but I may have more, all the same dyelot)

ecuzzacrea
03-25-2007, 11:14 PM
this is my first top down sweater so I have a stupid question - are you guys putting all of your stitches on waste yarn to try them on?? i see a few of you trying them on when you're about at the chest.

thanks!

KellyK
03-26-2007, 12:07 AM
I knit half of the sts onto a second needle...

ecuzzacrea
03-26-2007, 12:22 AM
That makes sense - thanks!

I'm getting ready to remove the sleeves now so I'll be able to try it on soon.

Thanks again!

ecuzzacrea
03-26-2007, 01:11 AM
Ok 'nother question! :oops:

I just tried it on and I love the fit on top. It's very fitted and I think it looks great. Problem is that I think it will be way too tight around my chest if I continue with the size. I have a bigger chest, but a real hourglass shape so I'll definitely be doing that shaping.

My question is - if I want to make a little more room for my chest could I just do that 3 round repeat increase that they use for the hips??

Has anyone done this?

TIA!

KellyK
03-26-2007, 09:09 AM
no no no! Ask Hildie how she did her short-row shaping for her bosoms... :thumbsup:

AmandaC
03-26-2007, 09:35 AM
I've been looking at this since you started ... I don't want to buy any yarn and I have just realised that I have some Debbie Bliss Cotton Angora which might work :pray: ..... I'll have a look tonight to see if I have enough ... I think I would need 5 or 6 balls .. I may have about 10 :happydance: It could be nice for summer...

ecuzzacrea
03-26-2007, 10:08 AM
no no no! Ask Hildie how she did her short-row shaping for her bosoms... :thumbsup:

Okay!

Hildie - how did you do your short-row shaping for your bosoms???

:roflhard:

itsjustmeghan
03-26-2007, 10:41 AM
:teehee: bosoms :teehee:

KellyK
03-26-2007, 11:04 PM
:woohoo: I FINISHED MY WICKED!!! :woohoo:

I think I will stop the increases on my next Zephyr pattern a little higher. The armpits are kinda loose here. But, overall, I really like the fit! Even over pajamas!!!

I still have to weave in ends, but....

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/files/wicked_901.jpg

AmandaC
03-27-2007, 04:51 AM
Beautiful KK :muah:

Petals
03-27-2007, 08:55 AM
:thumbsup: Looks great!!

KellyK
03-27-2007, 08:56 AM
:aww: thanks!! :heart:

ecuzzacrea
03-27-2007, 10:13 AM
Ooohhh I love that color!

Great job!!!

itsjustmeghan
03-27-2007, 10:21 AM
fabulous, kk! i'm all for pj modeling!
ecuzzacrea, if hilde doesn't pop on here, you can always pm her. she's VERY helpful and oh so wise!

ecuzzacrea
03-27-2007, 01:30 PM
ecuzzacrea, if hilde doesn't pop on here, you can always pm her. she's VERY helpful and oh so wise!

Good idea - I just PMed her. She's helped me in the past. :muah:

sara_jayne
03-27-2007, 01:33 PM

Good idea - I just PMed her. She's helped me in the past. :muah:

Elizabeth - just so you know Hildie's mom is in town for a week (just got in yesterday) so she might not get back to you right away! :heart:

ecuzzacrea
03-27-2007, 04:46 PM
Elizabeth - just so you know Hildie's mom is in town for a week (just got in yesterday) so she might not get back to you right away! :heart:

Thanks for the heads up!

KellyK
03-27-2007, 09:54 PM
Youze Guyze make me feel ALL warm & fuzzy!!! :aww: :hug:

itsjustmeghan
03-29-2007, 12:16 PM
so i'm wearing my wicked today. i blocked it last week, so it looks nice, but i couldn't get it any smaller the way i did it...
i've noticed it's stretching as i wear it. (i think someone else had this same complaint before).

what do i do to shrink it a little? is there anything i can do that will shrink it, but not felt it? maybe wet it with cold water and throw it in the dryer for a bit? :shrug:
i want to wear it...it's comfy...and pretty...but if it gets any bigger, i'll have room enough to get a tenant and charge rent! :doh:

KellyK
03-29-2007, 10:20 PM
WHat yarn did you use again?

itsjustmeghan
03-30-2007, 08:38 AM
KP andean (sp?) silk

KellyK
03-30-2007, 09:02 AM
Hmmm.... I would bet its the silk content that's giving it heft and making it stretch. Im not sure if there's enough of it in there, however, to prevent felting.

If you DO let it wash on GENTLE/COLD, make sure the dryer is set for tumble ONLY. The heat from the dryer will felt a wet sweater, too. And, I would check it every 10 minutes or so for signs of felting....

she11y
03-30-2007, 09:11 AM
I knit my SKB out of andean silk. The silk gave it a nice drape but I think silk also "grows".

Petals
03-30-2007, 11:56 AM
My wicked is out of Malabrigo and it grows as you wear it. I think I just needed to do a smaller neckline. I thought the re-blocking was going to take care of the problem until I wore it for a while :verysad:

candicane
03-30-2007, 12:01 PM
I also used Malabrigo for the SS version. I am very happy with the fit. I got gauge with size 8 needles, but opted to knit it a little tighter on 7s and give it a little stretch during blocking. I had read this blog and thought it sounded like a good idea.

http://www.ysolda.me.uk/wordpress/index.php/archives/2007/01/27/mindful-mindless-knitting/

Candice

itsjustmeghan
03-30-2007, 12:44 PM
wow...that does make a lot of sense.
do you think it's wiser to knit it on smaller needles? or just knit a smaller size and block it a little bigger next time?
i guess i need to figure out how wool behaves to know what the difference would mean....i haven't made enough sweaters to know....

for this wicked, i'll try doing the wash/dry thing....here's hoping!

candicane
03-30-2007, 01:15 PM
In my un-expert opinon, I would say knit a tighter gauge (meaning smaller needles) not a smaller size. Knitting a smaller size and blocking larger, would just result in stitches that just look too stretched. Does that make sense? Maybe someone with more knowledge/experience wants to chime in.

candice

itsjustmeghan
03-30-2007, 04:44 PM
that definately makes sense. the more stitches, the more to stretch. if i knit it a smaller size, then it'll just look threadbare instead.
right?
i guess now i have to understand i have to sacrifice yarn and time to do a swatch like that until i understand how i knit. otherwise, i could be swatching and blocking for a while before i figure out what sized needles to use....:pout:

or i could always just guess! :teehee:

jinty
04-01-2007, 11:43 AM
I have just joined today and would like to join in on the wicked KAL if I am not too late.

I am going to use sirdar denim on 5mm needles.

jinty

IrishKnitter
04-01-2007, 04:28 PM
I have a question for anyone who knit the L or XL. Both say to cast on 132 stitches. However, it seems like the number would have to be divisible by 8 (which 132 is not). Did any of you adjust the number to allow for this? (at least when doing the ribbing at the top).

Thanks!!

Petals
04-01-2007, 06:00 PM
I can't seem to find my pattern right now, but on their web site it will explain the reason for this. I know I just wished I would have gone smaller for the neckline.

itsjustmeghan
04-01-2007, 07:19 PM
they said on the site that the extra 4 stitches makes a big difference in size because it's another inch. i know an inch wouldn't matter in ribbing so i lowered mine down 4 stitches because i'd rather have an even amount of twist stitches. id suggest moving down 4 stitches rather then up 4 just so it's not falling off.

IrishKnitter
04-01-2007, 07:31 PM
Thanks Meghan! That's what I think I'll do.

itsjustmeghan
04-02-2007, 06:46 AM
:teehee: look at me pretending like i know what i'm saying :roflhard:

ecuzzacrea
04-03-2007, 12:46 PM
Here's my progress on Wicked in KP Swish Superwash.

I'm going to keep knitting in stockinette until it's past my chest and see if that works before I try to do increases. I'm at the part where I should be doing decreases on the smallest size, but there's no way I can start decreasing now. It's like right at the top of my bosom :roflhard: Anyways I'm glad I did the smallest size on the top because the neck fits perfect.

itsjustmeghan
04-03-2007, 12:52 PM
ohhhh...so pretty! :D
that's the superswish? man....now i want to knit a new one....or reknit mine....
i just don't want to have to start from scratch AGAIN.

ecuzzacrea
04-03-2007, 01:28 PM
Yeah - Swish Superwash. I think I read somewhere else that it tends to stretch out a little bit too so I'm glad it's snug right now. :)

Petals
04-03-2007, 01:41 PM
That looks really nice! Glad the neckline is fitting! :cheering:

ecuzzacrea
04-03-2007, 04:46 PM
Thanks!!

elizabethrmiller
04-04-2007, 10:22 AM
Hi Guys,

I was so inspired by everyone's work that I knit a Wicked too! I'm almost ready to cast off and show everyone! Very exciting. It was my first sweater so I was a little intimidated but it went well (I didn't do the pocket). This is my first knit along so I just wanted to share. Pictures coming soon.

itsjustmeghan
04-04-2007, 04:21 PM
:cheering: yeah! can't wait to see it! :cheering:

ecuzzacrea
04-05-2007, 03:50 PM
Can't wait to see it Elizabeth!

elizabethrmiller
04-07-2007, 10:45 AM
It's blocking. Hopefully tomorrow when I get back it will be done and I can model it for everyone!!

ecuzzacrea
04-07-2007, 12:02 PM
Here's another progress shot from me:

jinty
04-07-2007, 01:33 PM
What a lovely colour and the fit seems perfect :cheering:

itsjustmeghan
04-08-2007, 09:37 PM
it looks awesome! i love the color! your sweater looks like it fits perfectly! it's the way i was HOPING my sweater would turn out... :pout:

i still need to try shrinking mine....otherwise, it will be a bumming around the house kinda sweater...boo...

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-08-2007, 11:29 PM
i love the color!!! and you look like a model!

candicane
04-09-2007, 08:47 AM
Beautiful! The fit looks great.

And your weather looks so much better than mine. My husband just had shovel--yes shovel not brush--2 feet of snow off of my car.

Candice

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-09-2007, 12:34 PM
I am making a pledge:

I will FINISH thissweater by Friday evening, THIS WEEK. That way I can wear it to the knittogether on Saturday. :shock: I still have to finish the bottom, PLUS do the sleeves. I'm going to try to finish the bottom tonight, do the sleeves tomorrow and Wednesday, and then I have thursday and friday as a "buffer zone"

Keep on my guys! If you see me posting a lot, go " :poke: YO HILD! Go finish your sweater!!! "

ecuzzacrea
04-09-2007, 01:07 PM
What a lovely colour and the fit seems perfect :cheering:

Thank you! I really like the color too.

it looks awesome! i love the color! your sweater looks like it fits perfectly! it's the way i was HOPING my sweater would turn out...

Thanks! It's pretty snug, but I'm thinking it will be good even if it stretches out a little.

i love the color!!! and you look like a model!
:aww: You are very sweet!! Thank you.

Beautiful! The fit looks great.

And your weather looks so much better than mine. My husband just had shovel--yes shovel not brush--2 feet of snow off of my car.

We got to about 80* on Friday, but it cooled down to the 60s over the weekend. I'm a native Buffalo, NYer so I know all about snow!!!

thischicknits
04-09-2007, 04:52 PM
simply divine!
It is all working - the color, the fit, the model :teehee:

Go girl!

And Hilde - go knit why dontcha!

ecuzzacrea
04-09-2007, 06:19 PM
simply divine!
It is all working - the color, the fit, the model :teehee:

Go girl!

You're cute! :rofl: Thank you!!!

sara_jayne
04-10-2007, 12:31 AM
:tap: GET MOVING HILDIE! We'll be there Friday night so it had better be done by then! :poke:

Elizabeth - wicked looks awesome so far! :cheering:

Andrea
04-10-2007, 06:48 AM
I love the Wicked, ecuzz! (and your photography is stunning, I love to lurk on your blog :teehee: )

Hildie...:poke: Get moving on Wicked!!

I might have to splurge on some yarn there...my mommy gave me a plastic egg with some $$ in it for Easter :teehee:

ecuzzacrea
04-10-2007, 12:42 PM
Elizabeth - wicked looks awesome so far! :cheering:

Thank you!

I love the Wicked, ecuzz! (and your photography is stunning, I love to lurk on your blog )

Thank you!! I have to credit all the shots of me to my husband. He's getting pretty good with the camera. I've taught him well. :rofl:

Shakey2523
04-10-2007, 05:27 PM
Oh yes, the temptation to drop what I'm doing and run out to buy the yarn
to start this little beauty...resist..., resist. This will definately be on my
to do list!

thischicknits
04-11-2007, 07:31 PM
DO NOT RESIST - GO DIRECTLY TO YOUR LYS AND BUY YARN FOR WICKED!

Knitalia
04-11-2007, 08:04 PM
from the ginormous Knit Happens sale. Mission Falls, about $3.00/skein!!
Should I use brown or green?? I'm thinking green.
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n85/andreamathews/missgre.jpg
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n85/andreamathews/missbro.jpg

thischicknits
04-11-2007, 08:52 PM
By color alone I would vote for green. Which color looks best on you? You may want to swatch both (the cable section) to see which you prefer.

:cheering: for yarn!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-11-2007, 09:30 PM
I kind of like the brown :thinking: Hold a few skeins of each color up to your face and see which one looks best on you.

The cables might "pop" better with the green... good advice to swatch both, Margaret!

I'm ready to do the bottom edge! I'm going to do seed stitch, so it lays flat and doesn't pull in. I'll put the cables around the sleeves.

Shakey2523
04-12-2007, 07:14 AM
My vote is for the green - I think I agree that the cables will show more.

Can't wait to finish up my UFO's , this sweater has motivated me.

elizabethrmiller
04-12-2007, 10:31 AM
Here's my Wicked after blocking. I used ArtYarns Supermerino...I'll try to post another of me actually wearing it but I was alone at the apartment last night and didn't have anyone to take a picture.

This was my first sweater and I'm very happy with it.

Petals
04-12-2007, 10:34 AM
That is gorgeous!! :heart: :heart: Love the color!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-12-2007, 11:57 AM
ooo the colors are fabulous!!!

I have about 4 more rows until I am finished with the bottom edge; I'm going to get that done tonight, and then do the sleeves tomorrow. :cheering:

candicane
04-12-2007, 12:14 PM
Elizabeth-

Gorgeous! Your stiches look very even! What colorway did you use? How many skeins for what size?

I have 8 skeins of the Supermerino to make myself a LS wicked. I am thinking about ordereing more to make a toddler sized one for my 2-year-old.

candice

PS: Hurry up Hildy--I am anxious to see yours. I am coveting the Tiger Lily colorway!

thischicknits
04-12-2007, 01:59 PM
Elizabeth - :cheering: it looks so good! congrats on your first FO!!!

elizabethrmiller
04-12-2007, 03:39 PM
Thanks everyone. Hope to take a picture tonight of me actually wearing it!

I used SM 122. I used about 4 and a half balls, I ordered 5 for the size 32-35". I didn't do the pocket though...

itsjustmeghan
04-12-2007, 05:12 PM
ohhhh! so pretty!!! don't you feel so awesome that you made something you can wear?!
hopefully (or not) it's cool enough for you to wear it out so you can show it off! it's snowing in april here! :shrug:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-13-2007, 12:41 AM
I finished the hem--double moss stitch-- and bound off :cheering: I'll get to teh sleeves tomorrow. I tried it on, and it's a little big, but i I love it anyway. I will definitly make another one. And I think I am inlove with top-down sweaters in general.

Nice job Elizabeth!!! :thumbsup:

Shakey2523
04-13-2007, 07:22 AM
Bravo, Elizabeth. Really your first sweater? It's perfect!

ecuzzacrea
04-13-2007, 01:27 PM
Yes - it's my first sweater with sleeves I guess! :)

I have made 2 tank tops so far and a number of other projects. :)

I'm pretty close to being finished with the boring stockinette. I might have another progress pic this weekend!

elizabethrmiller
04-13-2007, 04:02 PM
How funny. My name is also Elizabeth and it's my first sweater too!

ecuzzacrea
04-13-2007, 05:49 PM
:muah: How fun Elizabeth!

I have a question:

I have my 11 inches that it says to have for the body and I'm at the part where it says that you can add in shaping - I want to do that. So, do I just do shaping until I'm comfortable with the length and then the pocket? It says to start where the sweater would hit your waist and I have to try it on, but I think it's too short right now. Should I keep going in SS until then?

I guess I'm confused as to what order I'm doing things in from here on out.

Thanks!

itsjustmeghan
04-15-2007, 05:30 PM
i just kept trying it on until i thought i'd need some extra room in the hip, then i started doing increases.
for the pocket, i tried it on until i thought i'd like a pocket on there and added it on the bottom of the pocket. i didn't do the marker row for the pocket until the bottom was attatched. turned out okay.

i still haven't shrunk it yet.
after the surgery its been rough keeping up with regular life stuff to worry about shrinking my sweater down! :pout:
but i'm feeling MUCH better now, and if i can get through the 3 loads of laundry tonight i might try wetting it down and tossing that baby in teh drier...
wish me luck! i'm nervous.... :oops:

GinnyG
04-19-2007, 12:51 PM
I just came across this and I think I'M IN LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is ABSOLUTELY the next thing on my list!!!!!!!! as soon as I finsih the KP&S weater and the Wallaby that are half done :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

I've gone back through a bunch of pages in this post and will try to read it all before I start but can someone tell me, is this patter fairly easy to follow???

ecuzzacrea
04-20-2007, 02:10 PM
Well I finished the pocket this morning!

I hope to sew it on, finish the sleeves and the bottom this weekend.

Stupid school has been eating away all of my knitting time. :!!!:

ecuzzacrea
04-22-2007, 09:05 PM
Ok - I just have the sleeves left, but I'm totally stumped! :shrug:

I've never knit in the round with two circs before so that's new to me. I watched Amy's video and I get that part, but it's not exactly like the sleeves here.

My first problem is that I have to join yarn and I can't figure out how to make the underside of the arm close - know what I mean?

My second problem is that it's like I'm knitting on the inside so that's where all my stitch definition (ie: crossover pattern, etc) is going to end up.

Probably stupid, but I can't figure it out!! :doh:

As usual, any help would be greatly appreciated!!

TIA!!

elizabethrmiller
04-23-2007, 01:11 PM
The same thing happened to me with the pattern. I got so frustrated! I'm sure there is someone out there that can answer this...I finally just switched the sweater instead out and knitted it so the crossover would be on the right side. I'm sure it had somethign to do with the fact that I was using double pointed needles and not two circulars, but I didn't feel comfortable using two circulars....

ecuzzacrea
04-23-2007, 01:25 PM
The same thing happened to me with the pattern. I got so frustrated! I'm sure there is someone out there that can answer this...I finally just switched the sweater instead out and knitted it so the crossover would be on the right side. I'm sure it had somethign to do with the fact that I was using double pointed needles and not two circulars, but I didn't feel comfortable using two circulars....

Well that helps me with the stitch pattern being on the inside part! :doh: Why didn't I think of that!!?? Thank you!

I still can't figure out how to get the stitches picked up with the new join though. :??

sara_jayne
04-23-2007, 02:31 PM
Hildie asked me to post this for her. She finished Wicked this morning so I could take pictures of it for her before she left home for Illinois! It is wonderful and the Malabrigo knit up is JUST fantastic!

ecuzzacrea
04-23-2007, 03:20 PM
Wow - Hildie!!!!! That looks gorgeous.

I love that color on you. Great job! :cheering:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-23-2007, 07:51 PM
thank you!!!! :happydance: :heart: :happydance: :heart: :happydance:

thischicknits
04-23-2007, 10:43 PM
:cheering: :cheering: Hilde!
You look great in Wicked - Hurrah!!

ecuzzacrea
04-26-2007, 01:27 PM
I finished last night!!! Finally figured out those sleeves.

It's pretty snug, but I'm going to throw it in the washer and then block it and pray that it loosens up a little. :)

I will probably have an action shot by the weekend. :)

Petals
04-26-2007, 04:28 PM
Hilde, that turned out beautiful! Gawd, I love that color. :thud:

Oh, and I like the new do. Took guts to cut that much off at once!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-27-2007, 12:06 AM
:happydance:

Green Gables is third in line on my list!

ecuzzacrea
04-29-2007, 02:41 PM
Here are some action shots of my finished Wicked!
Thanks for all the help girls.

knitwit628
04-29-2007, 03:22 PM
it's... BEAUTIFUL!!!!!! I :woot: HAVE TO MAKE THIS!!!! it could be my first sweater!!!! :happydance: :cheering: xxx.... if i could do it at least... maybe i should get some practice first lol :doh:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-29-2007, 05:25 PM
your wicked is gorgeous and so are you!!!

knitwit, this is a PERFECT first sweater... you get to practice increases and decreases, baby cables (which are so simple you don't need a cable needle), and picking up live stitches... BEST of all there is *no seaming* .

You can do it. We can help. --The Knit Depot

itsjustmeghan
04-29-2007, 10:20 PM
oh my gosh, both sweaters are AWESOME! so pretty! i totally want to make this one again...i shrunk mine and wore it this week. while it IS smaller in the waste/chest area, it also shrunk UP, so i'm constantly tugging it down again! hahha.
i just need to get some new yarn and start over!

ecuzzacrea, did you just measure and use the pattern with the closest measurement? or did you do something else to help the sweater fit the way you wanted?

i know some people measure themselves, and other peope measure one of their favorite sweaters. i'm definately going to knit it in a smaller needle size and block to the size i want, but aside from that, i feel like i'm missing some super secret elusive step to get a sweater to fit the way you want it to.

Knitalia
04-30-2007, 08:28 PM
:cheering: They look great. Ecuzzacrea, you look about my size, what size did you do? Any mods?

Andrea
04-30-2007, 08:30 PM
You can do it. We can help. --The Knit Depot

:rofl: Cute, Hild!

ChelseyBlair
05-14-2007, 09:07 PM
Okay, my secret pal jsut sent me the pattern for this last night, and I'm stoked, but I have some questions.

I'm tiny. Not skinny, really, but still tiny. 4'6", 120 Ibs. No boobage.

Should I do the small or adjust to make it smaller? If I just want a smaller neck so it's not sliding off my shoulders ( a problem I have with other sweaters) what should I do?

I'm really excited! :teehee:

Purl
05-22-2007, 03:47 PM
I've just started this over the weekend, has anyone else cast on a Wicked lately?

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-22-2007, 06:48 PM
Chelsey:
Since this sweater is top down, you should have no problems adjusting the neckline. Make sure that the nmber of stitches you are casting on is a multiple of 8 (so you can follow the baby cable pattern). Then, you can stop the inreases when the "sleeve" fits comfortably around your arm (not snug in the armpit), and afterwards, follow the pattern according to your liking--with out without waist shaping, the pocket, etc .

Purl: How is it coming?

Josie
05-27-2007, 01:36 PM
I also just started the wicked sweater -- I have to say that I was really inspired by all of your sweaters -- especially yours, ecuzzacrea! I ordered the swish superwash in a green color (I forget the name right now), and I'm really enjoying the knit -- I'm just after the point where I put the arms on scrap yarn, but before I start the shaping. This is my first sweater (besides one baby sweater a year or so ago) and I'm pretty excited about making an adult garmet -- and something that's not supposed to end up as a square or a rectangle! Hopefully it fits, because now I'm all excited to knit a bunch of other, non-square things!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-27-2007, 08:39 PM
Josie, how does the swish superwash feel? On a scale of 1 = cement and 10 = clouds, how would you rate the softness?

Josie
05-27-2007, 09:06 PM
I don't have the most experience with yarn -- I tend to live vicariously through others -- so you'll have to take that into consideration, but I was really surprised by how much I like the feel of the swish superwash... It's DEFINITELY softer (and thinner feeling, actually) than WOTA, but nowhere near the soft feeling of Malabrigo... So... Saying that WOTA is 1 and Malabrigo is 10, I'd give it a solid 7. I could definitely wear it next to my skin without being itchy. I hope that it wears well, because it's pretty economical!