PDA

View Full Version : New Larger Size Denise Needles

landolphe
01-18-2007, 06:22 PM
A major reason for my prefering Denise interchangeable needles is their sharper points. Just bopught their new US 17s & 19s and find that these have uncharacteristically blunt-ish points. Anyone have same impression?

Lando

luv2knit
01-18-2007, 07:08 PM
Really...I was considering those. I have a nice pair of lion brand ones that I really like (except for the cord, main reason I would get the Denise ones so I have a more relaxed cord.). I love my denise needles because they are more tapered than several of my others.

Do you find them more difficult to knit with?

landolphe
01-18-2007, 07:49 PM
Hello-

I can't say that they are more difficult to knit with; it's just that I prefer a very sharp point I seem to make fewer mistakes that way.

Lando

janelanespaintbrush
01-18-2007, 07:54 PM
That's interesting. Maybe they figured bulky yarns were better served by blunt needles because pointy tips would split the yarn. :shrug: I wonder if you could "sharpen" them with a file and/or sandpaper or something.

landolphe
01-18-2007, 08:04 PM
They likely did choose the blunter tips. Yes, I think that the resin would respond to sharpening. I'll give that a try and let you know.

Lando

janelanespaintbrush
01-18-2007, 08:09 PM
They likely did choose the blunter tips. Yes, I think that the resin would respond to sharpening. I'll give that a try and let you know.

Lando

Be careful! I'd hate to see them get ruined. :pout:

landolphe
01-18-2007, 08:46 PM
I have a pair of Lion Brand US 35 straight needles. Their tips are sharper than those of the Denise US 17s. Not good news for Denise, methinks.

Lando

landolphe
01-18-2007, 09:21 PM
As I think about it a bit, perhaps the reason I prefer sharp tips on larger needles, is cuz I do a lot of US 35 and 50 knitting with super-fine yarn. The technique is known as knitting human hair with sawed-off broomsticks. <g>

Lando :roflhard: