PDA

View Full Version : The "Year of the Stash"...

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

Mrs. Columbo
01-31-2007, 01:02 PM
Gee, that Danica scarf is how I was trying to get my BLANKET to look!!! But no way would it remotely resemble it .. that's why I thought maybe my yarn and needles were too thick/big .... I'm printing that out ... by the way, can you order the MAN to go with it???? :teehee:

Yes, that's the scarf ... Mobeius ... I should search it and see what it looks like .... purely to add to my confusion. :teehee:

Toby

pandaca
01-31-2007, 01:19 PM
Dustinac, that scarf is AMAZING! Love the colors!

So...I know we're destashing here, but I decided the yarn I bought yesterday isn't going to do it for the gift I'm making. I'll return it or make it into chemo caps. (Remember, bought with a GC so not stash yarn!)

Can anyone recommend a soft, chunky yarn that isn't too expensive? For a hat/scarf for a 13 yo girl with leukemia. She'll have very sensitive skin as she goes through chemo, so it needs to be very soft. It will be knit immediately so it won't become part of the stash. And I'll make myself finish grandma's hat first.

Mrs. Columbo
01-31-2007, 01:24 PM
Can anyone recommend a soft, chunky yarn that isn't too expensive? For a hat/scarf for a 13 yo girl with leukemia. She'll have very sensitive skin as she goes through chemo, so it needs to be very soft. It will be knit immediately so it won't become part of the stash. And I'll make myself finish grandma's hat first.

There is a Red Heart Soft Touch, at least that's what it's called here in Canada but another gal found it in the US I believe and it's called "Soft" and I think it might even be similar to MicroSpun that ArtLady used in her blanket .. The Soft Touch is actually quite soft, compared to the other Red Hearts that I've seen and felt ... another one that is nice and soft is Bernat Satin .. both are washable and available at Wal Mart and Michael's.

Toby

Toby

misha rf
01-31-2007, 02:28 PM
Dustinac, that scarf is BEAUTIFUL!!

Pandaca, I've used Patons Shetland Chunky before--it's really soft, and can be found online if you can't find it in a store.

DreamWeaver
02-01-2007, 02:45 AM
That scarf is absolutely amazing :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Mrs. Columbo
02-01-2007, 09:34 AM
I have returned 15 balls of variegated yarn that I was going to do dog blankets from AND DID NOT EXCHANGE IT FOR OTHER YARN!! I am going to make my elderly mom a shawl out of "something" I already have and a couple of scarves from Shaunsheep fuzzy stuff in straight knit .... variegated just doesn't work for me ....

Has anyone tried Mighty by Filati? Real nice and soft .... :teehee:

Toby

snowbear
02-01-2007, 11:12 AM
ok.. no new yarn till all ufo finished. I have a dragon scarf that has to be done w/ in 1 week... then a dress...etc.

This is the year I finish up all that stuff , get organized, and finally.. finally, find the bottom of my desk... ( piled w/ knitting magazines,, patterens.. etc.)

:cheering:

dustinac
02-01-2007, 12:57 PM
Thank you!!

Mrs.Columbo great job on the scarves :cheering:

Mrs. Columbo
02-01-2007, 01:00 PM
Thank you!!

Ohh you are too kind dustinac ...... I haven't even completed my FIRST scarf!!!!!! Those were taken from the Red Scarf Project page and I'd like to know if someone can tell me what pattern they are so I could make something similar! Wish I could make scarves like that!! In due course I guess. :teehee:

Toby

Mrs. Columbo
02-01-2007, 01:01 PM
Thank you!!

Ohh you are too kind dustinac ...... I haven't even completed my FIRST scarf!!!!!! Those were taken from the Red Scarf Project page and I'd like to know if someone can tell me what pattern they are so I could make something similar! Wish I could make scarves like that!! In due course I guess. :teehee:

Toby

DonnaS
02-01-2007, 05:06 PM
COMPLETED:

1 cashmere blend scarf in raspberry in a lace pattern.

Yarn used from stash? 2 balls :cheering:

auburnchick
02-01-2007, 07:51 PM
Finished my first pair of socks...

I posted pictures on the Whatcha Knitting forum.

These turned out MUCH smaller than the sweater bag. :teehee:

Braden
02-01-2007, 09:57 PM
I already ordered yarn before I read this thread, but can I still join? If so, I'm in.

ps. How do I get one of the "Year of the Stash 2007" Signature buttons?

Petals
02-01-2007, 10:23 PM
Finished up some dish cloths but gave away before pics. Nothing special except its gone! gone! gone!!! Been putting off doing something with this yarn for a very long time.

NOW I deserve yarn!! (Bad week, internet down, lost info, new server and couldn't even access KH for awhile! :pout: )

auburnchick
02-01-2007, 10:24 PM
Go to either page 15, 15, or 16. There are instructions by artlady with a URL to copy.

Braden
02-01-2007, 10:27 PM
s

DotMom61
02-02-2007, 12:54 AM
Oooo ... I just found this! Wish I had time to read all 18 pages, but I don't. The good news is, I *have* been knitting from my stash for a couple of months now. The bad news is that I have also *added* to my stash in the past couple of months. :oops:

Anyway, I'm currently working on a little raglan sweater for charity (see my KAL thread (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25787)). I'm using some very old yarn that was handed down to me by my Mom, and I *think* she got it from my grandmother who passed away in 1979! :shock: Somehow, I think I oughta get extra points for the age of the yarn. :thinking:

I also have a pair of the Fiber Trends clogs on the needles using some KP WOTA and some leftover Noro Kureyon ... Hmmm ... what else? Not sure ... but every time I go into the room where I have my stash I get all distracted and want to start something else. :shifty:

I can only imagine how overwhelming that feeling would be @ Ingrid's house! :roflhard: She really oughta start a yarn store.

madametj
02-02-2007, 01:06 AM
I already ordered yarn before I read this thread, but can I still join? If so, I'm in.

ps. How do I get one of the "Year of the Stash 2007" Signature buttons?

the instructions are in the middle of page 11

auburnchick
02-02-2007, 01:23 AM
Confession...

I just placed an order for more sock yarn.

What happened is that I finished the mate to my first sock. So, I went to my box to get out the yarn for my next project, but I discovered that my Patons SW won't work for socks. I have no idea what I ordered it for, and with me still being new to yarn & the projects they are best suited for, I don't have a clue. The only other sock yarn I have is the supersoxx grab bag that I got from Ram Wools -- which I'm in the process of doing a swatch for.

Anyhow, I got concerned that I wouldn't have sock yarn, so I placed my order -- for only four skeins.

You see, though, my stash is not really all that big. :rofl: I'm just trying to fit in with the rest you a little better. Yeah, that's it. I don't want to be an outcast. :rofl:

ArtLady1981
02-02-2007, 04:15 AM
Well, I actually got an entire project finished, using 4 Stash skeins of JAZZ purchased from Elann.com last year! (Still have 7 left...forget what my excitement was...ain't that just a yarn addict's behaviour!!??)

Anyway, I knit a little capelet for a itty bitty 80-ish lady that goes to my church. She is from Burma. She likes pink! She is adorable. I think she will like this!

I wove in the 'tie' (not called for in the pattern) just about where the k1p1 ribbed cowl ends and yoke begins... because she is so tiny, it could drape off her shoulders...with the ties, she can tighten it a little to suit her.

dustinac
02-02-2007, 09:22 AM
Thank you!!

Toby

:oops: I"m sorry I saw the photos and thought you did them lol what I get for not slowing down... :doh: I don't see the photos anymore but I'm pretty sure one of them was a rib pattern..

misha rf
02-02-2007, 01:22 PM
ArtLady, that's pretty!!! :cheering: I'm sure she'll love it.

Mrs. Columbo
02-02-2007, 01:29 PM
ArtLady it's gorgeous! Was it knit from the top down?

Toby

ArtLady1981
02-02-2007, 03:39 PM
Hi Mrs. Columbo!
Yes it was knit from the top down. Pattern #38 by an Ann Norling, a 1 sheet leaflet on red paper. I like the pattern because it looks dressier than a poncho. I made a icy pink alpaca suit two years ago...using this capelet and a simple skirt pattern. The Alpaca was bulky weight so the project went quickly.
Nice thing about the pattern...it gave instructions for 4 gauges; 2 necklines; 4 bottom edges; 2 lengths, and 2 'flare' widths.
Actually, my bottom edging, that faux lace look, is my own addition. Taken from a scarf pattern:
Row 1) K1; YO, K2T....to last st; end K1
Row 2) K
Row 3) K2; YO, K2T...to last 2 st; end K2
Row 4) K
I knit these 4 rows until the edging looked about the right length.
I had to add something of interest...and pattern suggestion of garter or seed border would not show up on that fuzzy yarn.
Here is a snapshot of the leaflet showing the capelet models.

HeatherFeather
02-02-2007, 03:48 PM
I'm running out the door now...but I LOVE this..I just saw this, and yes, I'd LOVE to play!!!

I'll have to go back and read the "rules". :)

ArtLady1981
02-02-2007, 06:09 PM
Not that it's important to anyone but me....BUT...

My yarn expenditures January 1st-31st 2007: $0

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Gotta add: Did not browse through any internet yarn haunts, did not browse through any "Yarn for Sale" emails, and did not stop at any of LYS's.

I did work on lots of Stash Projects! I felt just as happy and satisfied as could be!! :happydance:

lissalue
02-02-2007, 06:43 PM
My yarn expenditure from my pocket, not gifts or trades:

$2.54

I have checked out the buy sell swap forum, but only in the intersest of swapping:

1 yarn swap made

Yarn given to me:

$60 worth

Stash yarn projects completed:

4 dishcloths (2 skeins of cotton used)

:cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :happydance:
These are my totals for January

DotMom61
02-02-2007, 07:31 PM
Way to go, Ladies!! :woot:

I wish I had more time to knit so I could dwindle down my stash more quickly. Maybe I'll sit & knit a while tonight -- 'twould be nice. :thinking:

dustinac
02-02-2007, 07:44 PM
:cheering: Way to go you guys did awesome...

I've actually done pretty good I used my Christmas gift money for the most part.. hanging onto some for this weekend... big yarn sale at the shop going to buy the yarn I need for the scraf project once a month thing... :rofl: I'll do better next month...

Working on dish rags and socks right now..

HeatherFeather
02-02-2007, 08:58 PM
Ok, got through (ya, what a hardship...looking at all the beautiful work!!!) all the pages.

I'm officially on Yarn Probabtion as I like to call it.

No new yarn for me.
Any new yarn MUST be for a sale item(meaning someone said, "Can you make me X", and they pay me for it), or a gift for a VERY special person.

I've tried craft shows to sell my treasures, but I've not ever had any luck. So to get through my stash, I am making charity items.

This will give me something to blog about again!!! I don't have much time to knit during the school/winter months, as I do most of my knitting poolside.

I'm trying to get it down to 2 largeish wood boxes, they are a smidge bigger than milk crates, and then go from there.

I'm going down the prayer list at church and am knitting wraps for the recipients. I did get one done...and have 2 more OTN.

I've got oven mits OTN, and a muff...plus a few other things that might just be frogged!!

DreamWeaver
02-02-2007, 09:42 PM
I finished a simple benie out of rainbow chuncky acrylic. I don't really actually like it that much, so I'm thinking about going to school, raising it above my head, and shouting: "hey, who wants this?" :teehee: I really want to do another stash project, but I don't know what to do with all my bits and bobs of yarn (like, 10 yards at the most). I was thinking maybe a hat with a bunch of vertical stripes? :thinking: oh well, just wanted to post my progress (or lack there of) :teehee:

HeatherFeather
02-02-2007, 09:54 PM
I look at those kinds of projects as "knitting experiments", or an exercise in fiber. :)

I've got a stash busting project, but I'd LOVE to know how to do it with different guages..

it's that fish blankie....I should have a link around somewhere.....if you don't know what I'm talking about.

I was also thinking of making this psychadelic poncho with my bits too....

DonnaS
02-02-2007, 11:06 PM
Another scarf completed from STash yarn :)

This one a fuzzy fancy fur scarf... yarn used = 3 balls!!

YAY!! :cheering:

lissalue
02-02-2007, 11:15 PM
I finished a simple benie out of rainbow chuncky acrylic. I don't really actually like it that much, so I'm thinking about going to school, raising it above my head, and shouting: "hey, who wants this?" :teehee: I really want to do another stash project, but I don't know what to do with all my bits and bobs of yarn (like, 10 yards at the most). I was thinking maybe a hat with a bunch of vertical stripes? :thinking: oh well, just wanted to post my progress (or lack there of) :teehee:

is that 10 yards all together, or per different yarn? cause if you have 10 yards per yarn you could make this:

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer06/PATTmuff.html

ArtLady1981
02-03-2007, 02:07 AM
For $0.99 (yes 99 cents) I purchased this Florida Bag pattern from KnitPicks. I did not purchase yarn for it, cuz, as you know...I have a lot of Stash Yarn that I can tinker around with...The pattern gives directions for both the soft side bag and the bucket bag. Anyway, I think it is worth a click!

http://www.knitpicks.com/Projects/itemid_50474221/projects_display

When ya get there, scroll to the very very very bottom...the pattern item# and price is listed last, after all the yarn they want to sell ya! :eyebrow:

HeatherFeather
02-03-2007, 06:51 AM
:flirt: :woot: :flirt: :woot: :flirt: :woot: :flirt: :woot:
oh.my.gosh.

that is BEAUTFUL.

Altho, I don't think I've got the yarn for that, but that would be an AWSOME reward bag!!!!!!!!!!!

Ya know...I stayed away from KH.....because it really gave me issues with my stash...but hopefully this will be OK...

Plus, I've got this yarn that I got as a gifty that I'd LOVE to make a sweater out of, but I just don't think there is enough. 6 skeins, not as thick as worsted in the fishermans "white". It's a smidge fuzzy and not all THAT soft. I like soft sweaters..go figure.

AND....in this am's knit picks email to me....

BOXER SHORTS....now....why is that cool???

Dh and Ds were chatting about purple camo pants that we saw at Sunny's a while back, (how silly, why would you want THAT? and the convo went on for quite some time) and my lovely DS said...because we have that horrid purple varigated yarn, YOU SHOULD KNIT HIM SOME BOXER SHORTS.

We live in Baltimore (Ravens) and the color is purple, so I'm sure that's why the purple camo.

I tried to find a pattern, no luck, so, lookie what's in my box this am!!! lol....So, that will be for SURE a stash buster eh??? :)

michellebreton
02-03-2007, 08:32 AM
I'd love to join, but I don't have a whole lot in my stash either. What I do have is one rather large bin of mostly acrylic skeins and half skeins left over from sweaters and afghans that I did 6-8 years ago. I don't think I've ever purchased any yarn without a purpose.

I AM pretty proud of the fact that around Thanksgiving I finished a sweater that I had OTN for 12 years! :cheering: And, then, last night I finished a pair of socks using some of the leftover yarn.

I've knit off and on since I was about 12, but this past fall I decided it REALLY was time to finish that sweater. Since then, I have made a shrug out of Lopi. I had four skeins of that left over, and I've made two pairs of mittens and the felted Lopi hat from this site. I've also made the fetching fingerless gloves from Knitty (that was a stashbuster project!) and I'm almost done with a cardigan for my daughter from one of the last issues of Creative Knitting. I just need to finish the hood and add the trim.

I've fallen in love with knitting all over, and I would love to use up the junk yarn in my possession so that I can fill that bin with GOOD yarn :teehee:

Michelle

HeatherFeather
02-03-2007, 08:51 AM
I donate my "junk" yarn to my dd's scout troop!!! if it's junk...really...why knit with it???? :)

but kids can sure make treasures can't they??

Those buggy mitts above in the banner would be a good acrylic buster tho wouldn't they?? :)

Holly
02-03-2007, 11:54 AM
Hello Stashies! I finally had a chance to take some pics of the stash and *some* :oops: of the UFO's that are eagerly awaiting completion! I'm having major second-sleave-block on the sweater (which also needs a hood ...ack...) However, it would be great to be able to wear it during winter :teehee: . My plan is to finish the sock (hopefully this weekend while *not* going out in the below zero weather!), then go to the UFO sweater. Ideally, I'd like my new project to be something from Cat Bordhi's Second Treasury of Magical Knitting, but I may be an extra good girl and use some of my stash wool yarn to make another pair of Fiber Trends Clogs (the dog ate one of my first pair :verysad: ) first.

Here are some pics of the UFO's and Stash:

[/img]

auburnchick
02-03-2007, 05:04 PM
I LOVE that bag!!! Hmmm... :rofl:

ArtLady1981
02-03-2007, 09:17 PM
Hi Holly!
Thanks for posting the photos of your WORK IN PROGRESS and your STASH! We all love photos! Is that ALL of your Stash?? If so...I am definitely in deep deep deep Stash debt! :eyebrow:

Hi HeatherFeather! Remember...according to the STASH COMMANDMENTS...your Stash giveaway/donation counts as CREDIT! Whether we knit it ourselves, or share it with other to knit...we are eliminating dormant yarn! :D

Hi Michellebreton! Please visit us once in a while! I want to grow up to be like you someday!
:woot: I wish I could say I have never purchased yarn without a specific purpose/project in mind. Ebay does that to ya...to me. It is such a great price for a bag of 10...ya just grap it whilst the grabbin' is good!

A Stash accumulation of any kind is reason to jump aboard the Stash Train! WELCOME ABOARD!

HeatherFeather
02-03-2007, 11:38 PM
I did a horrid job at work today, bad for the job, but good for the knitting!!

I got the muff nearly done, and saw the insert in the knitty one, and will make that for this muff....(wonder how many times I'll type fumm instead of muff???)

I'm going to do a fairly stretchy ribbing. I only used a total of 12 rows of knitting on this skein of yarn, so I'm already anticipating destashing by using up this. But it is WOTA, so I know for SURE that it'll be put to good use!! the skein doesn't even fell squishy yet.

madametj
02-04-2007, 05:53 PM
i have a question: when we talk about getting "points" or "extra credit," what do you get from that? more reward yarn? :shrug:

nadja la claire
02-04-2007, 06:13 PM
I went to my favorite LYS yesterday with my friend and I only got 2 skeins of Knit One, Crochet two Velvety Chenille that I'm going to use on a commission and a skein of Garn Studio Italian Velvet because it was in the discount basket and I know it was kind of breaking the rules because I don't know what I'm going to do with it but I've been really good and that's all I got even though my friend took 3 hours deciding on what she wanted. I was losing my mind the whole time. My friend kept saying "Why don't you get something more? OOOOOOOO this looks nice, why don't you get a couple of these or Oh feel this isn't that nice." And all I could say was I can't, I'm knitting down my stash. :pout: I almost broke down and bought some more Malabrigo, some baby alpaca and Art Yarns lace weight silk yarn among others but I managed to hold myself back.

I'm still working on my WIPs hopefully I'll be done with them soon.

The Italian Velvet is only 64yds. It's probably worked on 15s or larger. Would anyone have any suggestions for this yarn?

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

DonnaS
02-04-2007, 06:56 PM
Another Fancy Fur scarf done.. gosh I didn't realize I had this much of this yarn... and I don't even LIKE fun fur :roflhard: Two of these scarves are already sold to co-workers tho :woot:

OTN is a Thick & Jiffy hat for my mom, which was a recycle (thanks for the pattern help!) .. in the wings is a sweater in Homespun that I need to finish for my daughter ...

and this weekend I started learning to tat.. so that gives me something to do with some leftover crochet thread :cheering:

Holly
02-04-2007, 07:52 PM
Artlady: I *thought* that was all of my stash until I was digging around in my sock drawer and came up with a few add'l stashed skeins :rofl: Egads -- the stash is coming out of the oddest places!!

Auburnchic: If you were referring to the bag in my unfinished sweater picture, that is the Jordana Paige pink and black messenger bag :-) If you weren't referring to my bag, I guess I just put my foot in my mouth :teehee: !!

Off to do a few more rounds on the second sock as the superbowl plays on...

pandaca
02-04-2007, 08:44 PM
I bought some sale yarn this week. :oo: Not reward yarn or anything, just on sale. Oops....back on the wagon for Feb.

Artlady, what a cute capelet! And so thoughtful of you.

Holly, I love the colors on the socks and sweater.

So my cat and I had a situation last night. By the time I noticed Dante got ahold of the yarn, he had rolled it from one end of the apartment to the other, wrapped it around 2 tables and gnawed through the working yarn (for the had that I've already frogged once). He was so cute that I couldn't stay mad long!

HeatherFeather
02-04-2007, 10:21 PM
I was gifted this am witt the FULL BACK OF MY CAR FULL OF YARN!!!!!!!!!!!

It was from an estate, so a LOT of it was old, and MOST of it went back into the car after my gf and I went through it. I got about 3 double grocery bags full, I think she took 2. There is a fair amount of chunky yarn!!! :)

There was even some wool, so that was cool!!!

I think tho that I'm most proud of the fact that:
It came into my posession TODAY
I went through it and picked out what I KNEW I would use, or love TODAY
And it went back out to the car to be delivered to brownies TODAY!!!

YEAHH ME!! :)

I worked on the tube of the muff I'm working on in Bible Study today (I teach, and today was "fellowship day" anyway!!). Dad mopped the floor for me today (My father moved in with us in Sept. from Michigan, unemployed. Nothing like having SIX people in 1200 sf, with 3 cats, dog, 3 fish, 2 lizards and about 500 crickets!!), so I had extra time to actually knit at HOME!!! :)

Kari
02-04-2007, 10:36 PM
I'm just lurking this thread... I already had to ask my expert spinner & knitter friend what I should do with the small balls of yarn I have left over from my first two scarves. She laughed and showed me a bunch of patterns for things that require only small amounts of yarn or small amounts of a variety of yarns.

It's great to see what you all are doing with your yarns.

michellebreton
02-04-2007, 11:21 PM
Hi Michellebreton! Please visit us once in a while! I want to grow up to be like you someday!
:woot: I wish I could say I have never purchased yarn without a specific purpose/project in mind. Ebay does that to ya...to me. It is such a great price for a bag of 10...ya just grap it whilst the grabbin' is good!

A Stash accumulation of any kind is reason to jump aboard the Stash Train! WELCOME ABOARD![/quote]

Thanks! I actually was out last night and I bought yarn for two different pairs of socks...don't know when I'll get to them, but I guess it would qualify as adding to my stash. Ooops...the purpose of this exercise it to knit it down isn't it :teehee:

Michelle

Mrs. Columbo
02-05-2007, 04:28 PM
Well somehow I thought that no one was posting because I was no longer getting notifications by email ... just found three pages I had not read.

I am working on a shawl for my mother out of Patons Bohemian .. finished one ball of it, 9 more to go ... give or take .. I exchanged some stash yarn for this stuff as the other I knew I would not use ...

Love the idea making shawls for the prayer list folks at your church!!

Toby

lauraknits
02-05-2007, 04:55 PM
Some of my stash yarn bought online is really pretty to look at but painfully scratchy to touch/knit with 100% wool. In fact, much of my stash is that. Why oh why couldn't I have bought more soft stuff! I am dreading knitting my way through some of this stuff! Maybe it will soften some after washing?

anyone ever use Rowan aran tweed? Boy is this stuff rough! And barely spun.

luv2knit
02-05-2007, 05:14 PM
:waving:

Hi, I have been so busy with knitting ONE thing and not buying any yarn I missed this whole "year of the stash" thing!!!! Ok, I finally decided to check it out and I had already decided that I wasn't going to buy any yarn because I only started knitting last year and I have yarn under my bed, in the cupboard in the garage, in the living room, and other place I probably have forgotten about! :roflhard:

I read over the "rules" to participate and realized I already started an Extra Credit project! I frogged a shawl that I didn't really like and recently posted the new and improved one on What Cha Knittin'? Forum. I am loving it.

I am not going to buy any yarn even if I finish up the extra credit project because I have way too many projects that I need to finish up.

First I want to finish my daughter Jumper and my Shawl.

I'm in!!!! :happydance: And Maybe I will finish getting through all the pages of this thread before the end of the week! :P

SabrinaJL
02-05-2007, 05:22 PM
I'm in. I don't have a huge stash, but I have more yarn than I want. Lots of acrylic from when I first started knitting. It's great for Snuggles and bears though. I do probably have to buy one more ball of yarn to finish some socks, but I'm going to see if they can express mail it to me. For one, the yarn store is 175 miles away. For another, it is a GREAT yarn store. I'm trying to avoid it because there's no way I'll go in and buy just one ball.

Braden
02-05-2007, 05:58 PM
Okay, so say I run out of yarn for my stash project. Can I buy more withoug cheating? This hasn't happened to me, yet, but I don't think I'll have enough of the yarn to finish this sweater.

heykaren
02-05-2007, 06:07 PM
Iīm in too! I just started knitting in March, but, like every other craft Iīve ever done, I jump in head first and knee deep!!!! So, Iīve already bought yarn when I found it on sale or really liked it etc.

I do solemly swear to use up as much stash as possible and before I crumble and buy more yarn ( except, IĻm obsessed with making socks now - I may have to break down and buy some yarn for that so I can give it a try... ) But I won`t do it until I finish making the sweater that Iīm working on now - which is from my STASH!!!!! :happydance: Karen

aylaanne
02-05-2007, 06:35 PM
Hee, I think my "year of the stash" is going to be the year that I acquire the most stash! I've already gone on two yarngasms this year so far and I can't wait for my next one! :teehee:

However, anyone wanting to truly reduce their stash by knitting it up (or giving it to me) has my eternal respect and admiration! :notworthy:

dustinac
02-05-2007, 06:57 PM
:cheering: I have baby socks, baby hat, working on baby mittens and hoping I have enough.. made some dish rags.. and coin purses.. and 2 Gnomes from my stash :happydance: I'll get pictures when its all done.. I have one gnome still drying and the mittens...

Mrs. Columbo
02-05-2007, 07:03 PM
Here is my shawl I'm making from stash yarn .. well "exchanged" stash yarn ... I had some that I was not going to use and changed it for this Patons Bohemian .. it's wonderfully soft.

Toby

SabrinaJL
02-05-2007, 07:13 PM
It doesn't count against you if someone GIVES you yarn right? Because I've got a birthday coming up and that's all I can think of that I want. :teehee:

Mrs. Columbo, I LOVE the feel of Patons Bohemian. Every time I go to Michael's I have to stick my hands in it. DH does it too. We keep saying I need to knit a blanket out of it.

Mrs. Columbo
02-05-2007, 07:23 PM
It doesn't count against you if someone GIVES you yarn right? Because I've got a birthday coming up and that's all I can think of that I want. :teehee:

Mrs. Columbo, I LOVE the feel of Patons Bohemian. Every time I go to Michael's I have to stick my hands in it. DH does it too. We keep saying I need to knit a blanket out of it.

Oh it's one of the nicest ones I've used (and I've used few) ... my mom is 85 and I know she will love it .. my DD saw it and took a ball for a scarf!!

Toby

HeatherFeather
02-05-2007, 07:58 PM
Toby: Thanks!! ya, and blessings abound too...as soon as I said, and WENT THROUGH with getting rid of the yarn by making something useful out of it, I am getting showered with MORE yarn!!! lol...like God is saying..get to work eh??? lol....

Oh, and I made my poncho that I LOVE and adore out of that Patons Bohemian!!! it is just DELISH...I even have it on my bed so I can wrap my tootsies in it. :) (my poncho is on my website...umm..under...product list)

Now,

HeatherFeather
02-05-2007, 08:03 PM
Toby: Thanks!! ya, and blessings abound too...as soon as I said, and WENT THROUGH with getting rid of the yarn by making something useful out of it, I am getting showered with MORE yarn!!! lol...like God is saying..get to work eh??? lol....

Oh, and I made my poncho that I LOVE and adore out of that Patons Bohemian!!! it is just DELISH...I even have it on my bed so I can wrap my tootsies in it. :) (my poncho is on my website...umm..under...product list)

Laura:
Now, I think that yarn you don't LOVE, be it for what ever reason, is just taking up space, and should be gotten OUT, so you CAN knit with what you like. :)

If you are looking for permission to eliminate, then you've got it....either ebay, freecycle, or brownie troop. I think there is a sale section...also....hmmm knitlist has an ad group, you could post there too!!! Because if you don't like it, then it's going to be REALLY hard to get through it..right???

Ok, off soapbox now...(this mama has clutter issues, so I'm learning that if I don't love it/have use for it, then it is G O N E.)

ArtLady1981
02-05-2007, 09:57 PM
YES, yarn that is GIVEN TO YOU as a gift is FREE!

YES, you can purchase additional skeins to complete a Stash Project, and it does not count against you!

I LOVE SEEING all the completed Stash Projects! Thanks to all of our Stash Sisters (and our one Brother, so far) who have taken time to share their progress, and Post Pics!

As for me...I went back to work on that frogged NORO Silk Garden yarn...am knitting a Nancy Wiseman FRIDAY HARBOR vest. The BACK and LEFT FRONT is done...and making good headway on the Right Front which has knitted in/AKA: attached buttonloops. The vest is straight up garter stitch, so, the only finishing is the blocking, seaming the shoulders and attaching the buttons! Yeah!

My mind is already onto the next Stash Project. Using 13 skeins Knit Picks 100% merino wool (Strawberry). Will knit a cabled cardigan for my little friend from Burma. She will look great in this shade of Red...which I originally ordered for myself...and it was too orangey for me. I had to re-order 13 other skeins called Russet, which is the true blue red that I thought Strawberry was. My friends on this forum helped me find a true blue red! Sigh,

Well, onwards and upwards! Stay tuned. I will post photos of this vest later!

Stash On!

Ingrid
02-05-2007, 10:40 PM
I'm such a failure at this. :oops:

:psst: Anybody want to see my new yarn?

But now I'm done buying. Really. :pray:

madametj
02-05-2007, 10:44 PM

Mmmmhmm, thats why you have links to yarn sales in you blog, right? :fingerwag:

:teehee:

Ingrid
02-05-2007, 10:49 PM

That was THEN. THIS is NOW! :rofl: :rofl:

lissalue
02-05-2007, 10:50 PM

That was THEN. THIS is NOW! :rofl: :rofl:

yeah, okay, i believe you :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Mrs. Columbo
02-05-2007, 10:50 PM
I'm such a failure at this. :oops:
:psst: Anybody want to see my new yarn?

Ditto .. but we are ashamed ... aren't we Ingrid?? xxx

Toby

ArtLady1981
02-05-2007, 10:55 PM
Hi Ingrid!

I know how ya' feel! None of us are ever DONE with buying new yarn forever!

The purpose of our Year of the Stash thread is to raise awareness of about STASHING habits, and to try to DESTASH to the best of our ability!

As you can see by the STASH COMMANDMENTS, on pg 14, New Yarn purchases are allowed as Rewards for using up some of our Stash first!

No, I don't think for a minute that any of us are done buying yarn forever.
But maybe, just maybe, we will get that beautiful Stashed Yarn knitted or gifted or donated....if we are conscious of its existence in our drawers, boxes, bins, bags, closets, trunks, suitcases, and..... is there any hiding place I have left out?? :pout:

Thanks for sharing Ingrid! Stash On, Sister! :heart: You are amongst friends! :hug:

My name is Dollyce and I am a Recovering Serial Stasher! :eyebrow:

dustinac
02-06-2007, 04:23 PM
Here ya go.. baby socks and hat out of one skein of sock yarn I had.. not enough for adult socks... 5 dish rags although the 2nd blue and white one is missing in the photo cause I forgot to take it out of my box :doh: and coin purses that still gotta be felted and need a button.. and on the whatch knittin' I posted the 2 felted Gnomes I did... everything was used from my stash :happydance:

HeatherFeather
02-06-2007, 04:45 PM
GREAT work everyone!!

I got started on the green shamrock hat for my friends' bro...:) it should be cute!!!

My needles however are too short, and I keep loosing stitches off the end...arg...but I think I don't have enough stitches for a circ needle...oh well...no problems...just putzing along.)

ArtLady1981
02-06-2007, 06:15 PM
Hi Dustinac!!

CONGRATS!!!! A nice pile of completed Stash Projects!!! :happydance: Are you gonna use a New Yarn Reward??? Or, now that you are on a rolllll...are you gonna keep Stash Busting??

:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

dustinac
02-06-2007, 06:25 PM
Thank you :teehee:

:oops: I do have some sock yarn on the way... I was even good at the yarn sale on Sunday.. I only bought what I needed for several months of the scarf once a month get together I signed up for and most of it was just to fill what I didn't have enough of in my stash to complete the projects I had picked out... :happydance:

Mulderknitter
02-06-2007, 08:29 PM
wow! great job everyone! I have to confess, I have been lax at the knitting lately. Got bored with the basketweave afghan and the standard hat I am working on for DH. I did cast on again tonight for the 2nd time for socks. :wall: I really am going to try the socks..... :wall: :wall: :wall: because I love toasty feet and I really want to accomplish the challenge. Prayers please?? :pray:

DreamWeaver
02-07-2007, 12:25 AM
:hug: you have my prayers :hug:

Anyway, I unraveld my hat, but I'm going to re-crochet it. I've really been meaning to knit more but my dad's socks are taking forever and a day, so I'm discouraged :verysad:

Dustinac, I love the projects! They're so beautiful!!!!! :notworthy:

DotMom61
02-07-2007, 09:33 AM
Just got a minute to sit down & check the thread here ... 4 or 5 pages had gone by. yikes!!

Everyone's FOs look great. I wish I had more time to finish something. I'm still knitting on my charity baby raglan sweater. I cast off the body and picked up for the sleeves yesterday, and now it looks like the body is too short. :doh: This seems to be a perennial problem of mine.

I also actually need to place a KP order for some bulky WOTA to finish a scarf (http://www.knittingwisdom.com/patterns/scarves/mock-cable-scarf.htm) I started some time ago. I keep procrastinating on this because I *really* want to order some of their Shamrock (http://www.knitpicks.com/yarns/itemid_5420154/yarn_display) yarn for the Emma jacket, (http://www.knitpicks.com/projects/itemid_50512220/projects_display.aspx) but I don't want to order it w/out feeling like I'm not undermining my bad stash habits. On the flip side, I had this pattern & yarn on my Christmas list, and I didn't get it. :pout:

Anyway, I now need to run ... time to exercise!

dustinac
02-07-2007, 09:39 AM
Thank you!!

MulderKnitter~ you can do it :cheering:

DreamWeaver~ Men's socks take forever.. dh just got his and they were suppose to be for Christmas.. hang in there.. don't let the black hole drag you in... seems like I always reach a point in a project that it doesn't matter how much I knit when I measure its still the same.. it won't grow... or grows very very slowly...

DotMom~ Hope the sweater works out... you could use the Emma as your reward for finishing the sweater :happydance:

DotMom61
02-07-2007, 10:19 AM
Thanks, Dusty ... you're right!

And I just placed my KP order!! :cheering: I ordered the bulky WOTA I needed, a Sweater Stone and the *pattern* for the Emma ... I stuck the yarn in my "for later" basket. I was a good girl! :angelgrin:

Julie
02-07-2007, 10:22 AM
Julie, my MIL is making Emma right now....you know there's steeking, right? :shifty:

lauraknits
02-07-2007, 10:54 AM
I have been stash bustin and getting frustrated. The hat I mad my husband turned out too short and I think I have to try to take it out and fix it.

I am making a sweater out of KP shine and no matter how much I work on it, the sleeves just won't get any longer!

And to top it off, I just found out yesterday I can't go to Stitches West! I will have to work! As a consolation when I ran by the yarn store to grab some stitch markers I dropped 98 bucks on Jo Sharp Silkroad DK Tweed and since I am supposed to be stash busting, I only feel guilty about it! That was supposed to be a reward when I finished the sweater!

Oh well, I can't cast it on till the sweater is done!

Oh, and pics are here: http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26143

Mrs. Columbo
02-07-2007, 10:59 AM
HeatherFeather,

What pattern did you use for your gorgeous Bohemian poncho? LOVE IT! Wish we could get the solid colors here but all we can get are the flecked ones.

Toby

DotMom61
02-07-2007, 11:29 AM
Julie, my MIL is making Emma right now....you know there's steeking, right? :shifty:

Julie!!!! :hug: I haven't "seen" you FOREVER!!!

And, yes, I picked the Emma jacket specifically because it has steeks. :shifty: I've really wanted to try them. *That's* how much I don't like seaming. :teehee:

How have you been?

HeatherFeather
02-07-2007, 11:45 AM
Thanks!!!!!!!!!! :)

That is the flecked!!! :) It's the Wandering Vines...:)

and that one I actually didn't deviate too much from the patons website...

But all other's I've made I've started at the top, and worked down doing increases in the middle on either side....

Once the neck was done
row 1:yo,k,yo. (you do this on the front and back)
row 2:knit all the way around

I place a stitch marker before and after the single stitch so I'd remember to do the yo's, and I made the sets 2 different colors so I know what side I was on...not sure exactly why, but I thought it was important at the time...lol...

The increase is PERFECT!!!

My gf wanted a cowl type neck, so I did that for her...but that was with homespun.

The one pictures was done with shoulder shaping, and in two pieces...AND knit and purl back and forth...mama likes circular knitting MUCH MUCH better...:)

madametj
02-07-2007, 07:04 PM
i just bought 10 skeins of novelty yarn for a buck each at Big Lots. it wasn't reward yarn or anything (even though i've earned about 3 sets of reward yarn), i just wanted it. :shrug:

honestly, i dont really feel guilty, though. i only have just about enough yarn to say i have a stash, and i can easily use it all in a few months, or at least by the end of this year.

don't be set back by my wicked ways,

stash on ppl! :mrgreen:

Mulderknitter
02-07-2007, 07:11 PM
i just bought 10 skeins of novelty yarn for a buck each at Big Lots. it wasn't reward yarn or anything (even though i've earned about 3 sets of reward yarn), i just wanted it.
I wouldn't feel guilty if I were you. I think drastic sale yarn should be a clause in our contract :heart:

madametj
02-07-2007, 07:50 PM
i just bought 10 skeins of novelty yarn for a buck each at Big Lots. it wasn't reward yarn or anything (even though i've earned about 3 sets of reward yarn), i just wanted it.
I wouldn't feel guilty if I were you. I think drastic sale yarn should be a clause in our contract :heart:

the thing that really annoyed me was that my lil' sis (she's 15) was like "Joy, you're getting MORE YARN?" :tap:

and i'm like "Heck yeah i'm getting more yarn."

"You've already got 2 DRAwERS full!" :thud:

she's wrong. its 3 dresser drawers full, and one plastic storage drawer i'm not sure she knows about :teehee:

ETA: this was also my first purchase with my new debit card :cheering: (guess that tells u a little something about what i will be using it for :teehee:)

Mulderknitter
02-07-2007, 08:39 PM
ha ha! more yarn!
:muah: my DH the other night was puzzled when I pulled a box that looked like decoration out and opened it to reveal..... MORE YARN! he asked if it was "special" yarn.... well... isn't all yarn special??? :pout:

dustinac
02-07-2007, 09:39 PM
:rofl: :roflhard: dh sees the bags come in but didn't realize how fast it adds up till he caught me organizing it one weekend... all he could say was it sure adds up fast... :rofl:

DotMom~ I love your Billy Graham quote in your sig...

ArtLady1981
02-08-2007, 06:31 AM
Hi STASHIES!

Well, I finally got the vest done! Remember me sayin' I had frogged a HUMONGOUS tank top...NORO Silk Garden...too nice and too much $$$:mrgreen:$$$ to let it languish in a drawer.

The newly knit vest is in the "blocking mode" now. My blocking process takes about 5 days, less in summer. I lay soppy towels on the flat pieces (before seaming) until bone dry. The frogged yarn was not completely un-kinked...but good enough. I am hoping the blocking will straighten out the slightly wonky stitches. I will post of photo next week of the vest all seamed and buttons on!

I started a soft cables cardigan for my little friend from Burma. The yarn is 100% DK Merino from KnitPicks. Very soft to touch, and a pleasure to work with. :heart:

Stash On Sisters! (and Brother, too!) :notworthy:

HeatherFeather
02-08-2007, 08:23 AM
I have a post up in the yarnlandia blog about the stash hat I made for my neighbor!!! :)

And I started a baby sweater last night. It's the 5 hour dealie. It is for a friends new step grandbaby. I'm not sure I LOVE it. Plus I sat on the couch and it is FULL of dog hair. Sigh. So, when I'm not at home I'll have to grab the tweezers and pull out the hairs one by one. I'm going to get some dreft and wash it before I give it to her, and then put it right in a zip lock bag so no more hair gets into it!!

I think I want to make up a couple different kinds of baby sweaters to have and to show. Any favorite baby sweater patterns?

misha rf
02-08-2007, 12:11 PM
I was a bad girl yesterday.... :oops:

We went to the shopping center where the closest Michaels is. (Target & PetSmart are there too.) And I bought yarn. 8 skeins of Paton's classic merino. I'm using it for Afghans for Afghans (if I can knit fast enough--deadline is April; if not, it'll find another home).

On the bright side, I did go through my stash yesterday & found 8 skeins that I know I won't use, & posted it on the buy/sell/swap page. It's nothin' fancy, but it took up a lot of room. Hopefully, someone else will want it!

DotMom61
02-08-2007, 03:35 PM
DotMom~ I love your Billy Graham quote in your sig...

Thanks, Dusty!! :hug:

Mrs. Columbo
02-08-2007, 03:55 PM
Today, as in every day, I go into my stash closet (which is normally closed) and poked through it all ...... I just returned some Patons Softee Chunky the other day ..... today was the day to return six balls of Shaunsheep ... I could not find more in the same dye lot so therefore could not use it for the project I had intended it for ..... also returned some balls of Bernat Boucle (bear in mind that this is not OLD stash, I am a new knitter and all this has been bought recently so I was still able to return it) and needed more for the poncho and could not find the same dye lot or even color ....

With those three returns I was able to buy the tan Josef Seibel boots that I had my eye on ....... well at least I didn't add to my stash ... my SHOE stash maybe :teehee: but not my YARN! :cheering:

Toby

PS And I love the Billy Graham quote too!

ArtLady1981
02-08-2007, 07:22 PM
Hey there HeatherFeather! Here's an idea that could be quicker than tweezing all the dog hairs: getcha one of those tape rollers...you know the ones that are like masking tape with a handle, looks like a hairbrush, but instead of bristles, it has a roll of sticky masking tape...people usually use them for taking link off their blue suit or black jacket. I keep one right by my knitting place all the time. I am always rollling some kind of hair from my cushion, and from my knitting sometimes, too. You can get the kind specifically for Pet Hair. I get mine at my Fred Meyer grocery store. They carry household goods. I live in the Greater Seattle area.

madametj
02-08-2007, 07:28 PM
Hey there HeatherFeather! Here's an idea that could be quicker than tweezing all the dog hairs: getcha one of those tape rollers...you know the ones that are like masking tape with a handle, looks like a hairbrush, but instead of bristles, it has a roll of sticky masking tape...people usually use them for taking link off their blue suit or black jacket. I keep one right by my knitting place all the time. I am always rollling some kind of hair from my cushion, and from my knitting sometimes, too. You can get the kind specifically for Pet Hair. I get mine at my Fred Meyer grocery store. They carry household goods. I live in the Greater Seattle area.

they've got 'em at Bed, Bath and Beyond, too ;)

HeatherFeather
02-08-2007, 11:03 PM
re: lint brushes

my born organized girlfriend actually ASKED for one for Christmas...can you imagine??? lol....

but it is SOOO loaded now, that I doubt any kind of roller get it out....but I might grab hers just to see!!! Thanks so very much for the tip. I think I got hers at Target.

I got the yolk of the baby sweater done and one sleeve at work today. and I had my BEST ever day!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I came in at 52% for the day. :) I work in a call center and it's all about the percent!!!

madametj
02-09-2007, 12:07 AM
re: lint brushes

my born organized girlfriend actually ASKED for one for Christmas...can you imagine??? lol....

but it is SOOO loaded now, that I doubt any kind of roller get it out....but I might grab hers just to see!!! Thanks so very much for the tip. I think I got hers at Target.

I got the yolk of the baby sweater done and one sleeve at work today. and I had my BEST ever day!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I came in at 52% for the day. :) I work in a call center and it's all about the percent!!!

:?? 52% of what? you did 52% of the work today? :shock:

HeatherFeather
02-09-2007, 09:01 AM
52%...lol...ya, that's funny isnt it? :)

whoohoo I did HALF my job today..

I have to in order to keep my job get at least 32% of the people I talk to today say and AGREE to track their radio listening for the week. Starting next month that rate goes up to 37%. But yesterday 52% of the people that I talked to said YES!!! :) If that keeps up, which it won't, (but I do see a trend of my %'s going up) and stays at 51% and above, I get REALLY nice bonus!!! :)

Emeraldcutie
02-09-2007, 09:56 AM
Sorry its been awhile since I posted.
I have finally sorted my stash and was able to purge 14 balls of mohair and some blends.
Although Iam replacing with 6 skeins of sock yarn over the next little while (birthday gifts and such). I did promise myself, no new cast ons, until I get my current UFO's completed.
There are 5 currently on the needles.

Here's the stash in all its glory.

There are a few balls that I don't know what they will be yet, but I just like the colour and texture.

Everyone looks like they are moving along on the stash busting, if you haven't seen it yet, theres a new podcast/site for 2 very funny ladies at
www.stashandburn.com

letah75
02-09-2007, 03:16 PM
Hi all. I'm not sure if I qualify to join as :oops: I have already this year ordered from Knitpicks twice (options included, so not just yarn), bought yarn from my LYS, and from Walmart and Joann's. However, I haven't bought as MUCH as I usually do, and I have been working out of my stash....well out of the stuff I bought from Knitpicks.

I have also given some yarn to a neighbor who can't always afford stuff for a project, and I have organized my stash....ok not the whole stash, just the natural fibers. Which by the way took 5 drawers (big stackable drawers), and one drawer for some of my acrylic/nylon/rayon yarns.

PaperGirl
02-09-2007, 04:57 PM
:pout: I dont think I qualify...BUT I know with my purchaseing addiction, I will soon...LOL!

Im working on a scarf for my son...then one for my daughter, in this lovely color, but horrrid pain to knit yarn...then a scarf for my DH in the same yarn but different color as my sons..

ArtLady1981
02-09-2007, 05:10 PM
Hi Emeraldcutie aka Laura C!
Thanks for inserting the StashandBurn Link! It is great! I started listening to their podcast...and realized there is a part one and two. Will go back later and start out with Podcast #1! All in all, they have a nice little blog going!

Loved seeing your beautiful STASH! Thanks for taking the time to share!

I will take photos of my Stash later...but it will definitely expose my insanity to the world! :aww: Well, I'm in the right place to do it! I'll get some sympathy. When y'all see my Stash...you will feel better about your own sanity!!! :teehee:

Stash On, Sister!

dustinac
02-09-2007, 05:57 PM
still working on my never ending socks... :pout: size 0s and skinny yarn go slllooowwwww.... still waiting for my sock order too... :rofl:

Mulderknitter
02-09-2007, 07:38 PM
I will take photos of my Stash later...but it will definitely expose my insanity to the world!
I can't wait!!!!!

ArtLady1981
02-10-2007, 05:16 PM
re: STASH PHOTOS: I got out my camera...and lost heart. I will try again on Monday. It will take maybe 6 photos to get it all! Need to wait til no one is around...except the dog...she doesn't pass judgment or ask questions... and keeps her trap shut! What happens at home...stays at home! :eyebrow:

Emeraldcutie
02-10-2007, 06:02 PM
LOL Oh my Art Lady :)

And I thought my husband was going to faint at mine..lol.

:pout:

Can't wait to see the treasures you have hidden in yours.

Mulderknitter
02-10-2007, 07:25 PM
After I came home today from the estate sale (see the oops thread) my hubby said he thinks I've gone beyond stash to an actual hoarde of yarn.... i said mine is nothing compared to some of these ladies! :heart:

madametj
02-10-2007, 11:20 PM
52%...lol...ya, that's funny isnt it? :)

whoohoo I did HALF my job today..

I have to in order to keep my job get at least 32% of the people I talk to today say and AGREE to track their radio listening for the week. Starting next month that rate goes up to 37%. But yesterday 52% of the people that I talked to said YES!!! :) If that keeps up, which it won't, (but I do see a trend of my %'s going up) and stays at 51% and above, I get REALLY nice bonus!!! :)

haha, actually it sounded to me like u did 52% of the work accomplish in the building that day.....hence the " :shock: "

ArtLady1981
02-11-2007, 05:02 AM
FINALLY! AHHHH!

The frogged yarn project is DONE! Knitted a "Friday Harbor" vest by Nancy Wiseman, taken from her book Classic Vests.

Below are photos of the steps...the two huges balls of frogged yarn (wish I had put a ruler by them...)...the three pieces blocking...and the vest itself, buttons and all!

I have two sweaters OTN right now. Same ones, the red DK merino soft cables cardigan...and the blue tweed pullover for me. Got 7" done on the red merino before it dawned on me...my guage was too small...width of cardigan should be 20"...it was 15". No way stretching, pinning and blocking could make up that difference. So I cut my losses...cut the yarn right where I was, and am now knitting it over again right from the knitted yarn...kinda like frogging as you knit. Saves the step of winding the ball. I had done a guage swatch, believe it or not...but with cabling you can just never really tell from a 4x4 swatch.

So here are my photos. I will most likely wear this when we are up in the mountains here in Washington State...for those days when it is sunny but now exactly warm...but too warm for a 'full on sweater'. It will be my 'camp vest'. It looks like a camp vest...good with jeans, sitting around the camp fire in the morning sipping hot coffee. We have 20 acres on top of Nighthawk Summit, in Northeastern Washington...4300 feet...and it can get cold even on sunny days. We don't live there during winter...just the 5 weeks vacation. My husband is building a log house. I knit, he chops.

dustinac
02-11-2007, 09:55 AM
:cheering: :happydance:

Petals
02-11-2007, 11:01 AM
No wonder your ArtLady, you can almost smell the wood from the crackling fire with the vision you paint! Makes a person sigh and want to be there in the mountains with you sipping coffee!

Great job and check that off your list!!

auburnchick
02-11-2007, 12:12 PM
Art Lady,

You are on a roll! The vest is beautiful!

misha rf
02-11-2007, 12:16 PM
Artlady, that is sooooo pretty!! And congrats on more stash busting!

I was a bad girl again yesterday (actually, earlier today). :oops:

The Husband & I went to Wallyworld around midnight (we've learned the wee small hours are great for this). Due to their remodeling and discontinuing of stuff....I grabbed a cone of Peaches & Creme in white. I'd wanted one, and haven't seen P&C anywhere else here but Wallyworld. They'd already moved the "craft" section (by the garden shop? huh?) and one side looked like stuff was discounted to clear. What was left of the P&C was on that side. So I bought a cone. I don't know if they're *really* getting rid of it, but I wanted to be on the safe side. There certainly wasn't much to pick from!

ArtLady1981
02-12-2007, 06:39 PM
Hey, I think we are all doing GREAT!

For those of us who stumble a little...think of it this way:
At least it wasn't a full-on THUD! :thud:

This is my SUCCESS STORY OF THE YEAR: :cheering:
Our South Sound Knitters Guild meets the 2nd Sunday of every month...IN A LOCAL YARN SHOP! The shop is closed to business, but the owner gives our Guild President the key to the shop...and allows the President to take sales orders.

CAN YOU GUESS WHAT A TEMPTATION THAT IS???? I know you can. We are surrounded by Yarn for two solid hours...and more if you count the time before and after the meeting!

Well, I stumbled :pout: before the meeting started. The President and I meet early to chat...and I pulled 6 skeins out of the Sale Bin... and put it behind the counter. During the meeting...I kept thinking and thinking: What will I knit with this yarn??? [Cuz ya know...the rules say that we have to USE THE NEW YARN RIGHT AWAY. We can't Stash it.]

By the end of the meeting...I was thunk out. I put the yarn back...and bought a new pair of Lantern Moon Rosewood Circs, using the $10 Gift Certificate I had won in our Guild drawing. The $10 GC defrayed the cost of the Lantern Moons from $24 to $14.

Very very very hard to pass on that beautiful SALE YARN! It was RAINBOW varigated bulky yarn. The colors looked like a Tequila Sunrise Margarita, except it had a lime on the rim and blue skies in the background! I just loved the colors!

Well, I came home and rummaged through my Stash...and pulled out two bags (31 skeins) of Rowan Polar...a beautiful warm red. I loved it when I purchased it two years ago, and still do!! Polar is very cozy and soft. Luscious. In the last 24 hours, I have started and aborted 3 sweater projects!! I was getting major depressed. Finally scrapped the idea of a sweater or coat...and found a fabulous afghan pattern in the latest CABLES UNTANGLED book. So, voila...there it is! I will knit the afghan til the yarn runs out. It will be a cozy blankie...for me. Stay Tuned. :eyebrow:

Petals
02-12-2007, 07:04 PM
"Very very very hard to pass on that beautiful SALE YARN! It was RAINBOW varigated bulky yarn. The colors looked like a Tequila Sunrise Margarita, except it had a lime on the rim and blue skies in the background! I just loved the colors!"

Do I ever love your descriptions!!!!!! Look forward to seeing the afghan!

It's still comforting to pull something from the stash area when the spirit moves oneself!! :teehee:

ArtLady1981
02-13-2007, 03:28 AM
Hi Stashies!

I posted the Basketweave Dishcloth pattern on the StashBuster Ideas thread, along with photos. Here is the pattern again:

Yarn used: MicroSpun ( a sport weight yarn) by Lion Brand, double-stranded / US 10 ― needle.

CO 25

Rows 1-7: K across (forms the garter ridge bottom border)
Row 8 (WS): K5, then *P5 K5* to end
Row 9: (RS): K across
Rows 10-15: repeat Rows 8 & 9
Row 16 (WS): K10, P5, K10
Row 17: K across
Row 18-23: Repeat Rows 16 & 17
Row 24: Row 8
Row 25: Row 9
Rows 26-31: Repeat 8 & 9
Rows 32-37: K across (forms the garter ridge top border)
Row 38: Bind off loosely, knitwise.
NOTE: The RS is always Knit across. The WS is the 'working pattern' row.
Stitch markers help keep track of what is what. I highly recommend the use of stitch markers.
Who wants to have to TINK or FROG a little ole dishcloth????

imported_Knitty_Kat
02-13-2007, 04:48 PM
I'm definitely an '07 Stashie. I pledged to knit from my stash this year. I'm getting close to finishing Knitty's Clapotis with some Caron's Simply Soft I had a ton of in my stash. Wanna see my stash? It's glorious...or, scary?

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r108/KatAutumn/DSC03140.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r108/KatAutumn/DSC03141.jpg
And just to get an idea as to how high that stack is piled up, there's a side view. See all that bright pink yarn? That's what I'm knitting my Clapotis with. :happydance:

misha rf
02-13-2007, 07:16 PM
Knitty Cat, it's pretty!!

I finished a stash scarf, and have made tremendous progress on my felted bag. Insomnia's good for something, I guess. :teehee:

dustinac
02-13-2007, 09:04 PM
:cheering: I made a bath mitt today out of scraps :happydance: still working on my sock :verysad:

:thud: to all the yarn... I finally got mine organized so hate to tear it out for pictures.. I'm not sure I can get a good photo though since I used the shelves in my closet.. I can try :shrug:

DreamWeaver
02-13-2007, 09:21 PM
Knitty Cat: You ask if it is beautiful or scary? I think it's both :teehee:
Artlady: great job on the vest! It looks absolutely amazing!!!

I think we're all doing a fabulous job! Sorry I'm not posting more, it takes me a while to knit things :oops: I casted on a hair kertchif thingy on Saturday when I was feeling bad. It's made with a very gorgeous (in my opinion) sport weight merino :drool: it's a dream to work with, and I've gotten a lot of complaments on it, and it isn't even finished! ^_^

Ingrid
02-14-2007, 12:31 AM
I'm proud to say that I actually started a sweater today with some Morehouse Merino that I got last summer. My first thought was to get new yarn for the sweater, but actually took the time to go through my stash and found the perfect one! :happydance:

CateKnits
02-14-2007, 12:35 AM
I'm proud to say that I actually started a sweater today with some Morehouse Merino that I got last summer. My first thought was to get new yarn for the sweater, but actually took the time to go through my stash and found the perfect one! :happydance:

Does it take more time to go through your stash than buy new yarn, Ingrid, or do you pretty much know what you have? :teehee:

ETA: I'm not trying to be offensive or anything. :oops: I just realized it might not read as, uh, teasingly? as I wrote it.

Ingrid
02-14-2007, 12:38 AM
:teehee: I smiled when I read it, Cate. I actually had 'forgotten' about the Morehouse yarn. I see it all the time, but it didn't 'click' for this sweater.

And yes, sometimes finding a cool pattern is an excuse just to buy more yarn. What can I say? I'm an addict. 8)

CateKnits
02-14-2007, 12:44 AM
So, you're saying I could go 'shopping' in your stash and you might not notice? :shifty: Not that I would ever even DREAM of doing that or anything.

ArtLady1981
02-14-2007, 04:29 AM
I have a Knitting Journal.

A) Keeps track of my needle collection...the sizes, lengths, brands, etc
B) Keeps track of the yarn I have in my possession, the price I paid, the details about the yarn such as gauge, etc.
C) Has a section for "Prospective Projects", and the yarn I think I will use.
D) Has a section where I list what I have knitted for the year.
E) Has a photo section of finished projects.

Now, wouldn't it be great if I had updated my Knitting Journal in 2006?
No, I just flopped :thud: on that one. My Stash outgrew my energy!

But, 2007 is a new year...

All my different yarns are in their own plastic zippered bags, so I can easily rummage my Stash for inspiration without abusing and terrorizing the poor yarn!
"Oh no! Everyone, HIDE!! Here she comes again!!" :out:

I am happily working on my warm red ROWAN POLAR Aran Afghan...and it is turning out to be a pleasure to work with! Kind of a nice change of pace! Ohhh...it will be gorgeous and comfy! Have 31 skeins of the stuff to use up. Not sure how far it will take me...but when the first skein is used up...I will measure how many inches it gave me...and multiply by 31.
It is 242 stitches wide...4 repeats across, with a few other minor repeats tossed in. NOT BORING AT ALL. Red :heart: :heart: :heart: makes me feel good, and the softness of POLAR is comforting to handle. Me is happy.

This will take a while...but I will Post my progress! xxx

Birdy
02-14-2007, 11:38 AM
:teehee: I just saw those pictures.

So, um, does this mean that I *can* go out and buy more yarn because my stash isn't *stashy* enought? :lol:

Just teasing! I don't do well with the pressure of my stash as it is! But I am envious of all that yarn!

ArtLady1981
02-14-2007, 04:52 PM
Hi Stashies!

My Aran Afghan is coming along! Below are some photos!
One skein of Polar created 3.75" of afghan...which means that 19 skeins will make the afghan about 71" in length. I have 31 skeins. Hmm.
Stash will be left over. :pout:

What do you think is the perfect length for a "snuggle under/snooze under" afghan??

Is 70" too short?? I am 60" tall.

Have you knit an afghan that is the PERFECT LENGTH for snoozing?
How long is it??

Well, I am probably getting ahead of myself! I have waaaay far to go before worrying about where to cut off! :doh:

Petals
02-14-2007, 06:42 PM
that is going to be soooo pretty! I vote for the longer the better! Nothing worse than not being able to cover your shoulders (this said as I am getting up from my afternoon nap) :sleepy:

madametj
02-14-2007, 07:01 PM
i was just doing a stashbuster search on the web, and i found this one skien secret pal exchange (http://www.oneskein.com/secretpal.asp)! i was really disappointed when i found out i was over a year to late, though :pout: .

so i was thinking, this would be a great stashie activity for us to do on our own:cheering: . i mean, we don't even have to do just one skien, as long as we make it even...... so what do u think? :shrug:

Mulderknitter
02-14-2007, 07:08 PM
I think it's a great idea, and I believe someone posted a similar idea about a yarn swap, where you put in a box a bunch of yarn, mailed it to someone on the list, they took out what they wanted and replaced with something of equal value. I was going to join, but I am so busy and not so good with yarn value or worth that I thought I would be the bummer in the box :verysad:
On that note, ArtLady, I love a blanket that both me and my hubby can use when on the couch. I hate having to try to share a regular sized blanket, so an oversized one, say a million by a million feet since we fight over blanket coverage :roflhard: would be perfect!

ArtLady1981
02-14-2007, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the help!!! Will knit an extra long blankie!!

So, how far will 31 skeins take me??? Maybe about 112". HOWEVER, I am reluctant to do that fabulous looking fringe that the book shows...because Polar seems to want to go "fluffy/fuzzy" at the raw, cut edge. I don't think it would perform well. I'd always be trimming it. Homespun does the same thing. Goes all wonky at the end of the fringe.

I'll tinker around in my 'edgings' books...you know...the "OVER THE EDGE, ON THE EDGE AND BEYOND THE EDGE" series of three.

I hope to come up with an edging treatment that looks good, is appropriate for the Aran Afghan, and will look good 20 years later... :eyebrow:

Believe me, I intend to take this one with me in the pine box!! :teehee:
[Thirty skeins of Polar...on Ebay...from the Rowan lady in England...was $195...with free shipping included...and I can't even remember :?? where I got the single skein, nor why I purchased it, nor how much I paid...certainly around $10.]

Sigh. :doh: See why I am DESTASHING this year??? I need to use all this wonderful yarn I've stashed over the past 3 or 4 years of insanity! Buggers. :verysad:

DreamWeaver
02-14-2007, 09:47 PM
Artlady: I absolutely :heart: the afgan! It's going to be so nice and warm and snuggly when it's done!

I think a yarn swap is a great idea! I don't have very much good yarn per say, but I can certainly find some! So if we, the fabulous stashies, end up doing a yarn swap I'm all for it :cheering:

madametj
02-15-2007, 07:10 PM
Artlady: you can use fray block (http://www.amazon.com/Fray-Block/dp/B0006V1SMM) to keep that rebellious yarn in check! plus it wont make the ends feel hard, and it dries clear! :cheering:

ecb
02-15-2007, 08:40 PM
ok, I have made 9 Chemo caps (one is HUGE, for one of the block headed lobster-men)
2 angora reversible/double knitting type caps in the "we call them Pirates" pattern
1 shrug
2 felted bags, and 2 more OTN
and 4 scarfs
WOW, I DID get a lot done in the end of Dec and All of Jan and the beginning of Feb

I feel a bit better
I was feeling decidedly UNproductive
guess i was wrong

I have a LOT of MMMMMMMM and SWS so felting is in my future
and NORO too for felting

(now where did I hide my XL ziplock bags)

ArtLady1981
02-15-2007, 08:56 PM
HOORAY!

Congrats, ecb!! You have been haulin'!!!

Question for Madam: I have used Fray Check in the past...but it dries kinda crunchy and hard. You mentioned that Fray Block dries soft and pliable? If that is really so....I will definitely get some! This will change the scheme of things! Thanks for the link!

Well, it is the middle of February, and my yarn expenditures so far have been $0!

Our Year of the Stash 2007 Club has really helped me "check" myself.
Phew. It has not been easy, but do-able! So far, so good! I love knowing that I have "New Yarn Reward" Credit in my pocket! But, so far, as I have looked upon "beautiful yarn"...I say to her..."you may be beautiful...but I'm just not that into you..."

:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

luv2knit
02-16-2007, 05:58 PM
Hi Everyone,

I pulled out ALL of my yarn (all of which I could find :teehee: ) and used my new Valentine's present (a camera from my DH) and created an album of my stash. I have it posted on my blog.

I am getting to the last few steps of my daughter's jumper (photo on my blog and Whatca'Knittin' Forum) and slowly making progress on my reworked shawl. I am really happy that I frogged it and reknitting it!

I have a few projects to finish up, DS really wants me to finish his blanket!, so I will get those out of the way before I start pulling from my stash.

So far....no yarn purchases :cheering: ... did buy a few patterns today so I use them with my stash!!!

luv2knit
02-16-2007, 05:59 PM
Hi Everyone,

I pulled out ALL of my yarn (all of which I could find :teehee: ) and used my new Valentine's present (a camera from my DH) and created an album of my stash. I have it posted on my blog.

I am getting to the last few steps of my daughter's jumper (photo on my blog and Whatca'Knittin' Forum) and slowly making progress on my reworked shawl. I am really happy that I frogged it and reknitting it!

I have a few projects to finish up, DS really wants me to finish his blanket!, so I will get those out of the way before I start pulling from my stash.

So far....no yarn purchases :cheering: ... did buy a few patterns today so I use them with my stash!!!

pandaca
02-16-2007, 06:22 PM
Hi Stashies!
I haven't been posting because...um...I haven't been destashing. :oops: I'm not adding to the stash, but I've been buying for gifts and knitting it up right away. I guess that's something, right?

Hopefully in March I can get back to using up my stash (and knitting for MYSELF!) but right now it seems like everyone I know is having a baby in the next few months and I can't pass up the chance to make tons of little, tiny baby things!

ECB – Wow, you’re serious about your destashing! :cheering:

ArtLady - Yea for $0 on yarn!!!

heykaren
02-16-2007, 07:19 PM
I just finished a sweater for ME yesterday - and the yarn had come from my stash! ( I feel guilty calling it stash, I just learned to knit in March, so itīs not been there that long... ) and today I made a dishcloth using some extra Sugar īn Cream. What a great, instant-gratification project!!!!! I probably still have enough yarn for another one. NOw I can`t wait to get at the sweater I tried to make out of Sugar īn Cream - the style is just not me, and the seams are wrong, and itīs absolutely massive! I smell an extra credit project in the making....... :happydance: Do you think that yarn would be good to use to try to make socks? Or would it stretch out too soon?

I feel very accomplished - itīs a "community effort"!!!!!!! Karen

ArtLady1981
02-16-2007, 08:28 PM
Hey Karen!

Sugar 'n' Cream for socks? Isn't it a little too thick for socks? Most socks are knit out of 'sock yarn'...which seems to be somewhere between fingering and sport.

I would not knit socks using S'n'C, however, what do the other STASHIES have to say?? Do we have any sock makin' STASHIES that can add input for heykaren???

100% cotton would not have much 'spring'. Like, they might fall down around the ankles all the time...no elasticity whatsoever.

Well that's my '2 cents'. :pout:
Anyone have 'a dime' for Karen??? :teehee:

ArtLady1981
02-16-2007, 11:36 PM
SIGH!

I guess it happens to all of us SOMETIMES...a major mess-up on the Aran Afghan!

Can I cry on someone's shoulder??? :waah:

THE MESS-UP: In the photo below: See the progress of my red Aran Afghan below???? See how the work is about 2/3 warmish red, and the top 1/3 is deeper darker red?? No, you are not seeing things, and it was not the shadowing!!!

I was taking photos of the progress to share with you... :figureditout: when all of a sudden a lightbulb flashes... :figureditout:
this work is two different SHADES of red...like...different DYELOTS??? OMG!!! Could it be????

YUP! I race to my two bags of Polar: sure nuff...20 skeins of one dyelot (A), and 11 skeins of another (B). Der. Fortunately, I used two skeins of dyelot A for the first 7"...and one of dyelot B for the boo-boo 3.5".

You can't see it to the naked eye...like skein next to skein...and as I was happily knitting away...
I didn't see it either. But once the camera showed the diff very clearly...I could see it, too.

So, I frogged it back to the Russian Join...and restrung the stitches...and knit two rows. I was fortunate that the error began at a row that had a 2x2 crossover...or I swear, I would still be trying to figure out where to start again!!

So this means that the afghan will end at about 70"...whatever the 20 skeins will give me. I will use the other dyelot for the edging...it won't matter. Sigh.

One more note: since two rows take me 24 minutes...I frogged back 5+ hours of knitting. :waah:

If it had not been for this Forum, and me wantin' to show you my progress...I wouldn't have taken the photo...and who knows how far I woulda knit before the lights went on! :figureditout:

BTW: I started out using sz 11 Crystal Palace...and was always fighting the work. The little bump at the base of the needle hangs up this type of yarn...two rows took me 30 minutes...
I ran down to my LYS today and got a pair of Lantern Moons...and my time for two rows is down to 24 minutes. For a big project, it will make a difference...and well...it is just more fun now. :teehee:

KnitPicks OPTIONS are totally out for this yarn. Their pointy tips split the yarn almost every third stitch. I hate split yarn! Even Denise splits the yarn.

So, blunt tips are definitely good sometimes!!! I like the warmth of the Rosewood over Addis. The Lantern Moons do a better, faster job of the cabling. Addis want to get slippy, not picking up the stitch for the cable over. They don't grab it. LM's and CP's do.

Well, STASHIES, that is it for tonight. I gotta get out there and make up that frogged work! :thumbsup:

Petals
02-16-2007, 11:43 PM
:gah: It's a shame you had to rip, but it is going to look beautiful. Looks wonderful so far :thumbsup:

ArtLady1981
02-17-2007, 06:30 PM
Well, it is obvious that I love red!

I ORDERED 15 skeins of the lovliest RED YARN at my LYS on Friday, when I went to get some Lantern Moons for my Aran Afghan. See what happens? "If I sees it I buys it." It was placed right by the counter, where she keeps the Lantern Moons!

Here's my reasoning: It is so hard (nigh onto impossible) to find the red yarn in the first place, let alone the shade of red that is ME. It is a true blue-red...and it is LUSCIOUS. A merino/cashmere blend...109 yd skein, only $7.95 per. MY FAVORITE COMBO: RED AND SOFT!

So, this will be my New Yarn Reward Project! I will pick it up next week, and I will knit it NEXT (following the rules)...after finishing the Aran Afghan. Or, I may alternate between them...every other day. If I let the afghan slide, I will forget and/or lose the pattern rhythm!

PS: I have had two patterns ready for this red yarn...but just have not found the yarn! Purchased two other reds in Nov/Dec...neither are soft enough. I got burned by KnitPicks 100% DK Merino...the label deceptively says 100% Merino...but then adds "Merino Style". Kind of a misleading label. The other red is beautiful...bought it strictly for the color...and will use them eventually...but THIS NEW YARN is IT!!

Mrs. Columbo
02-18-2007, 01:41 PM
I have not posted in ages because I have not done diddly squat .... well, I have frogged my shawl a couple of times and restarted ... finally decided that Patons Bohemian was not what I was needing right now so I settled on this bag below ... when I was at our knitting night, who also meets at the LYS that is closed for business as ArtLady's is, I found some Cabin Fever acryl/cotton tweedy stuff .... bought three skeins because I knew I would start it right away .... which I did .... trouble joining in the round as I'd not done that before and ended up frogging three times but finally am on the home stretch and have done four rounds ....

My mom is in a retirement home in Newfoundland and I asked if she'd like to knit for the Red Scarf Project ... she does squares at the home with some other ladies of the knitting club and they give them to someone who sews them together to make blankets for single parents and children ... so she said she'd be delighted to do scarves ... so the other day I packed up the four balls of red yarn I'd bought (Bernat Softee Chunky and Berella 4) and two of gold along with four sets of needles to give her variety and some needles.... she'll be delighted and my stash is lighter ... I need to get a move on sewing up our expectant daughter's bear I'm making for her, well at least assembling it (will post pics when it's done) and start her shawl but for now I'm working on this bag to see if I can get at least SOMETHING done ....

The other night my 17 year old daughter Alanna came with me to knitting night because she was bored .... beat staying home and watching dad run his trains in the back yard .... she took her Bohemian scarf she's been working on for ages ... she had cast on 16 st in the beginning and there was a loose one there so she asked a lady next to her about it .... when Carolyn put it on the table it was taking on a triangular shape and now had 37 stitches .... :teehee: Alanna said "I wondered why a row was taking so long to do!" .... she frogged .. Carolyn showed her how to do a "short tail cable cast on" ... I myself can't remember how to start but Alanna sure can!!! Goes to show that the mind isn't as absorbent as it used to be ....

Toby

auburnchick
02-18-2007, 02:19 PM
Toby,

Kind of OT, but that is one BIG dog you have! He didn't look so big in your other avatar, but this new picture...

:passedout:

Mrs. Columbo
02-18-2007, 02:24 PM
Toby,

Kind of OT, but that is one BIG dog you have! He didn't look so big in your other avatar, but this new picture...

My DH calls him The Big Boob or **** Dog ... he is intelligent but just a busy puppy .. we think he should act more mature because he's so big but he's still just a baby ....

Toby

auburnchick
02-18-2007, 02:34 PM
Toby,

My DH calls him The Big Boob or **** Dog ... he is intelligent but just a busy puppy .. we think he should act more mature because he's so big but he's still just a baby ....

Toby

Sometimes the bigger they are, the more immature they are.

He's still cute, though (can you say that about a dog that big???). :teehee:

Mrs. Columbo
02-18-2007, 02:42 PM
He is very cute ... everyone loves his face ... Kona however has an expression all her own ...

Toby

auburnchick
02-18-2007, 02:52 PM
Too doggone cute!

:heart:

Lucy78green
02-18-2007, 03:14 PM
I had a little helper busting my stash for me

Mrs. Columbo
02-19-2007, 12:20 PM
Ohh cute kitty ..... Kona picked up an ear for my in the works teddy bear for the new grandbaby and got it all wet .. then the next day got the one that isn't stitched up yet and was going around looking like she had a hairy tongue (it's cut in an oval) .... so I had to cut two new ears ...

I bought this yarn last week at Knitting Night only because I knew I would use it immediately and not add it to the stash .... I must say I won't use it again, it's Cabin Fever Cotton Tweed DK and it's OH SO SPLITTY .... this is the first thing I haven't frogged more than twice so it will be my first project essentially.

ArtLady LOVE your red blanket!!!! :hug: Oh and our Michaels just started carrying the Microsoft so I got some Lilac as a yarn exchange, to use for the new grandbaby blanket .... :hug:

Toby

Lucy78green
02-19-2007, 03:44 PM
gulity secret, managed to blast through four balls of yarn as my boyfriend's sis had a baby - perfect excuse - but then I noticed LYS had a sale on winter wools, so I got 9 balls of Sirdar Denim Ultra for Ģ1.98 each (about $3.86)

ArtLady1981
02-19-2007, 03:58 PM
Hi Lucy!
Sounds to me like you are keeping the Commandments! "for every Stash Project earns NEW YARN REWARD!"

:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

ArtLady1981
02-19-2007, 04:32 PM
Well, I finally got my 'rhythm' down with this aran afghan...you know...when you don't have to refer to the symbols chart every other stitch! :cheering: I am also Posting photos of the afghan progress,
and two photos of the 'trim' I am thinking about using. Found the pattern in "Over the Edge" book. What do y'all think of it for an afghan edge? Don't you think it will edge an aran afghan pretty well? LET ME KNOW, ok?? I will appreciate your input...I am still a far cry from the edging stage on this afghan!

Took a little break this weekend, and knit up a preemie HOPE HAT for a young woman who goes to my church...she is on bed rest IN THE HOSPITAL til May...or til the baby decides "enough already, I'm comin' into the world, ready or not!" The young mother started dilating, etc. etc. (4 cm) in her 22nd week. Today, she is 26 weeks...and that is a real milestone! The doctors are very encouraged by today's date! If her baby girl was born today, she would likely make it.

I am going to take this little HOPE HAT to the mother later this week! Will knit a complete sweater set(s) later! PS: used STASH for the HOPE HAT! :happydance:

heykaren
02-19-2007, 06:45 PM
Artlady - I tried to ad the icon to my signature; the "My stash..." came out OK, but the picture didnīt ( as you will see when I post this ) Can you tell me what I might be doing wrong?

Iīve worked with 26 weekers - they can be buggers!!!!!! Much better if she can hold out until 30+ weeks, but thatīs not always possible. I wish her the best - love the preemie hat! Karen

madametj
02-19-2007, 06:47 PM
Artlady - I tried to ad the icon to my signature; the "My stash..." came out OK, but the picture didnīt ( as you will see when I post this ) Can you tell me what I might be doing wrong?

Iīve worked with 26 weekers - they can be buggers!!!!!! Much better if she can hold out until 30+ weeks, but thatīs not always possible. I wish her the best - love the preemie hat! Karen

i gave u a tip in the stashbuster thread--guess u didnt see it :shrug:

just change ur to a and u should be fine :thumbsup:

heykaren
02-19-2007, 07:04 PM
Iīve got dial-up - - takes me a while to get from one place to another.... :pout: Karen

lauraknits
02-19-2007, 08:45 PM
Well, I just finished a stash project/UFO - my first finished sweater!! Just posted pics in the Whatcha Knittin forum. :happydance: :happydance:

I am happy I deserve a reward. Course, I already bought the reward yarn and cast on last week! :oops:

Now I want another reward! I will try to restrain myself!

madametj
02-19-2007, 10:16 PM
whoa... look at this defenition i just found on the web :http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=stashie

stashie:

"A casual term used to refer to a cache of drugs kept by someone for everyday use. Used mostly in Asian cities, although there is a limited use in the USA."

:thud:

ArtLady1981
02-19-2007, 11:47 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Well, we are STASHIES OF A DIFFERENT KIND! :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

A PEOPLE WHO STASH YARN IN HIDDEN PLACES FOR FUTURE USE! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

THE FUTURE IS NOW!! THE YEAR OF THE STASH, 2007! :muah: :muah: :muah:

Lady M
02-19-2007, 11:51 PM
I am here to acknowledging that I have a problem This is the first step to getting it under control" So here I am bearing it all to the world.

I found this thread and I knew that it was for me. For a while now, on my blog, I have been talking about de-stashing and have actually begun to run contest to give away yarn on my blog.

I so desperatly need your help to stay on track because I am moving soon and I need to get some of this yarn knitted up and gone.

I have put my sock yarn stash on my blog and believe me their is much more yarn to come. It is just taking me time to round it all up to photograph it and them pack it away to move in May. you can see it on my blog here.

ArtLady1981
02-20-2007, 06:11 AM
Welcome aboard the Stash Train, Lady M!

We are here to encourage, help, and support other Yarnoholics like ourselves! :happydance:

I guess what motivated me was this: peering into my yarn cupboards, closets, bins, bags, crates, cases, trunks, and baskets...I realized I had more yarn than I could knit in 5 years! Many, many beautiful yarns...that I must have been excited about at one time...so what happened? I guess it just lost out in the pile of anonymity! "Out of sight, out of mind".

I determined to USE these beautiful yarns...once and for all. It is just such a cryin' shame to stash yarn rather than knit yarn! Yarn is meant to be knit... to beautify a lovely girl, to complement a handsome man, to keep someone warm on a cool night. Yarn is meant to be knit! Whether for yourself, or someone you love or admire or appreciate...the gift of a knitted item is wonderful. Balls, hanks and skeins of yarn hidden under beds or in cupboards are useless and a waste.

Stay in touch, and share your progress with us! Post photos when you can! We all love visual aids!

If you stumble, share that too...we will sympathize with you! We will pick you up, give you a big hug, and say "well, tomorrow is a new day"!

Stash On, Sister! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

dustinac
02-20-2007, 10:02 AM
ArtLady~ everything looks wonderful!!!

Mrs.Columbo~Can't wait to see it done!!

I'm still stash busting on a pair of socks and a baby afghan... :happydance:

carmabelle1191
02-20-2007, 10:06 AM
stashie:

"A casual term used to refer to a cache of drugs kept by someone for everyday use. Used mostly in Asian cities, although there is a limited use in the USA."

:thud:
I guess you could call it that :X:
:woot: :woohoo: :roflhard: :oo:

jmp3775
02-20-2007, 10:16 AM
Lady M, I pm'ed you!

Lady M
02-20-2007, 06:55 PM
Oh Gosh I am so overwhelmed tonight it is unreal. Pulling out all of this yarn and trying to organize it is literally making me sick. I can almost feel myself drowning in a vat of yarn. Out of site is out of mind, but now that it is laying all over my house, out into the light and I can really see what I have done this past year, my heart is sinking. How can I possibly begin to start knitting all of this yarn? Where do I begin? I am so stressed out at this point, I have thought about just stuffing it all back into all of the holes that it came out of and forgetting that it was ever their !!!

I need advise here and a clear head

Drowning in my stash..................=(

madametj
02-20-2007, 07:31 PM
i case anyone is wondering or has missed it, the stashbuster thread has NOT disappeared! it has simply been moved (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26177) to the "Patterns" forum

jmp3775
02-20-2007, 08:22 PM
Lady M

I cleaned and organized my stash about a month ago, and I was shocked to find a dozen or so skeins of Homespun. Just checked your blog- wow. I am at a loss for words...you are the Supreme Stashie!

Lady M
02-20-2007, 08:29 PM
Jenn,

I had no idea that I even had that much, :doh: I just always picked up a couple of whatever was on sale when I went to the grocery store and when I got home, Just cramed it into a stash. :happydance: I was always buying large baskets to put yarn in and then one day I just ran out of room. :wall: I mean totaly out of room. :wall:
Want to know something funny? :rofl:

I have never even knit the first stitch with Home Spun. Here I sit tonight with all this Home Spun Yarn and I don't even know if I like to knit with it or not.

:wall:

jmp3775
02-20-2007, 09:13 PM
Jenn,

I had no idea that I even had that much, :doh: I just always picked up a couple of whatever was on sale when I went to the grocery store and when I got home, Just cramed it into a stash. :happydance: I was always buying large baskets to put yarn in and then one day I just ran out of room. :wall: I mean totaly out of room. :wall:

I have never even knit the first stitch with Home Spun. Here I sit tonight with all this Home Spun Yarn and I don't even know if I like to knit with it or not.

:doh: :roflhard:

auburnchick
02-20-2007, 09:21 PM
Jenn,

Uhhh, you might want to do a search on Homespun.

:psst:

jmp3775
02-20-2007, 09:28 PM
Lady M
I will fess up to make you feel better...yesterday I ordered 7500yds of bamboo yarn, and I have never knit a stitch with bamboo :oops: . I have a really big problem when I see things deeply discounted- cant resist a bargain!

Lady M
02-20-2007, 09:33 PM
Oh Jenn,

Your not the only one...........Have you read my blog..... I am the discount queen :happydance: and I am dying to try Bamboo yarn ( lol ) I see a yarn trade comming on !!!!....... :roflhard: Would it be honnorible to take 41 skeins of Homespun back to the walmart for a refund and them truck down to the local yarn shop? :?? ............ You now have me drooling for some Bamboo !!! :roflhard:

Some folks take a LONG LONG time to reform !!! :muah:

ArtLady1981
02-20-2007, 09:38 PM
Hi Lady M!

Why don't you consider knitting an Afghan with all that Homespun!?

IMHO, Homespun makes lousy garments. The c'urliness' relaxes: a size 34 sweater eventually becomes a size 54! No joke.

But for shawls, scarves, blankets...knock yourself out!

madametj
02-20-2007, 09:40 PM
i'm still in for a stashie yarn swap, but i'm guessing not many ppl are interested :shrug:

Lady M
02-20-2007, 09:51 PM
Art Lady,

An Afghan sounds wonderful and this Homespun is very soft. What kind of pattern would you suggest?

Right now I am up for anything that will get rid of this stash and for punishment....... My Darling DH says, I now have to knit it all........LOL
He's a riot...... He don't know that I get rewards for knitting from my stash..... Won't he be suprised when he has to take me to my favorite yarn store over the weekend. I have 2 stashbusters comming off the needles this week !!!!! :roflhard:

I always have a Plan !!! :roflhard: :roflhard:

ArtLady1981
02-20-2007, 09:55 PM
Hi Madam!

I haven't heard from any of our STASHIES about a yarn swap between ourselves.

There is a Buy/Swap/Sell category on the Forum Homepage. It is that last item listed.

I personally want to use my yarns rather than swap 'em or sell 'em.

But, hey there, all STASHIES! Do any of us want to swap/sell/buy yarns amongst ourselves from our Year of the Stash location?

If even a couple of us want to...how shall we accomplish it? Post photos here on our thread? Then... by PM...or public Post...let one another know who wants to swap what with whom?

I am not sure how a buy/swap/sell thing goes! ANY IDEAS ANYONE????

madametj
02-20-2007, 09:56 PM
Art Lady,

An Afghan sounds wonderful and this Homespun is very soft. What kind of pattern would you suggest?

Right now I am up for anything that will get rid of this stash and for punishment....... My Darling DH says, I now have to knit it all........LOL
He's a riot...... He don't know that I get rewards for knitting from my stash..... Won't he be suprised when he has to take me to my favorite yarn store over the weekend. I have 2 stashbusters comming off the needles this week !!!!! :roflhard:

I always have a Plan !!! :roflhard: :roflhard:

if you reeally want to get rid of our stash, u can put a bunch of it up for sale in the Buy/Sale forum. I'm sure plently of us will eagerly take it off your hands if u give us some geat discount prices and, um i'm due for some reward yarn :eyebrow:

Lady M
02-20-2007, 10:02 PM
I really, really love the yarns that I have stashed. That's my problem, I want to knit it all up and I honestly think that I should. Each skein that I have bought, whither I paid $21.00 a skein or $ .99 a skein, When I bought it, I loved it or I would have never picked it out. I have everything in my stash from STR to 3 Skeins of Red Heart.

I really want to reduce my stash by knitting it up.

I can't help myself. I am a True Blue Knitting Shrew !!! :roflhard:

ArtLady1981
02-20-2007, 10:15 PM
Hi Lady M!

Check with your local LYS and bookstores. Look for a book that has nothing but AFGHAN SQUARES.

There are several books devoted to afghan squares. They are quite fun, and very portable for summertime/vacation knitting!

Barnes & Noble, as well as Borders Books, have knitting books devoted to Afghan Squares only.

I don't remember seeing where you live...but out here in the Pacific Northwest in the USA, they are BIG bookstores and are carrying quite a lot of knitting books!

I am posting photos of my 2 favorite books. Hope it helps your search!

These books are dynamite for de-stashifying! Here's what I like: the 'work' of figuring out how many stitches to cast on for each square so that they all match up...that 'work' is done for ya'! I could figure it out by trial and error, using a KNIT "STITCH" DICTIONARY...but don't want to. Too much time spent frogging. For those of us who barely force ourselves to do our gauge swatches for a garment...you know what I mean!

jmp3775
02-21-2007, 09:54 AM
I second "200 Knitted Squares" by Jan Eaton.

Mrs. Columbo
02-21-2007, 01:21 PM
After I finish that I want to frog a shawl I was working on. I don't like the way it was turning out.
Brook

What is it about shawls?? I frogged mine 15 times, and even started over in a new color and STILL frogged three times, finally I returned the $130 worth of the yarn and kept only two balls for my daughter to finish her scarf ... someone else on the forum said that they had a hard time with shawls too ..... :doh:

Toby

heykaren
02-21-2007, 05:57 PM
Lady M - I went through your blog this morning - wow! would I love to tiptoe through your stash!!!!!!! Youīve done quite a job collecting, but I agree - itīs time to do some serious knitting! You did a great job on organizing your papers etc! ( I tried to leave some comments, but couldn`t figure out how to get by the having to put my webpage [ donīt have one...] Karen

mwedzi
02-21-2007, 06:26 PM
Lady M, you have a serious stash. I'm not a stashie here, but I went through your blog. Wow. Others, I look at the pics of their stash and I'm like "yeah, that a cute little stashette you got going there". But yours? Wow. It is awe-inspiring. You have some really beautiful stuff there. I bet you're itching to feel it run through your fingers, so good luck on the destashing. :)

Lady M
02-21-2007, 06:28 PM
(( HeyKaren : Youīve done quite a job collecting, but I agree - itīs time to do some serious knitting!))
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Karen,
You are right about that and I just added 143 more skeins this after noon and im still not done. I am digging under the beds now and next is the baskets, innocently sitting around holding , you guessed it, YARN!!! :roflhard:

An heading to the end of my confessions of "Hording" :notworthy: and will begin to Knit and try to "reform" myself. I only hope that I can stay on the "Rehab" train long enough for it to take hold. If I backslide into my old ways, DH will have to build me a 12 x 12 building onto the new house to hold it all and honestly, I don't see that happening soon :eyebrow:

I will remain here with all of you other "Serial Stashers" and we can all reform together. Perhaps as some of us get to our goals of just how much yarn to actually have on hand, we can begin to help guide others, as to how much yarn a reasonable stash needs to hold :happydance:

PaperGirl
02-21-2007, 06:30 PM
:notworthy:

I bow down to your stash. Here I thought my two totes bags full was a big stash... :roflhard:

DreamWeaver
02-21-2007, 07:08 PM
LadyM: Whoa. Just... whoa... :notworthy:

I haven't been posting here much because I've barely been doing any stashbusting :teehee: I'm slightly nerotic when it comes to knitting and I like to finish one project before I start another. But my dad's socks are taking forever, so I haven't been doing much knitting lately :verysad:

Compulsive
02-21-2007, 07:23 PM
Lady M:
:shock:
:chair:
:noway:

All I can say is, WOW!

Petals
02-21-2007, 11:24 PM
Lady M----You take the prize!!!! :clink:

ArtLady1981
02-21-2007, 11:41 PM
Hi Lady M!

You are in the Right Place at the Right Time!

Welcome Aboard the Stash Train!

:grphug:

Lady M
02-22-2007, 12:04 AM
:roflhard: I am not sure if I should laugh or cry, :roflhard: to have the honor of being the "WORST" Stasher here !!!! :happydance: Surely their is just one of you who hoards yarn more than I have. :teehee: If you do ...........please show your stash , so that I don't feel so alone !!!

I think that your right ArtLady, I am at the right place at the right time :cheering: I applaud you for having the courage to start this thread and help us all with your leadership " Heaven knows that I need it !!

By tomorrow night I will have posted the last of my stash on my blog and ready to begin knitting from it. I now know where all of the beautiful yarns that I have stored are and during this process, I have actually had the oportunity to "touch, feel and cuddle" all of it :muah: Plus, my craft room is really begining to clean up. Hopefully by next week, I will have it purged, cleaned and organized enough that when I begin boxing for the move, it will be a easy task.

heykaren
02-22-2007, 03:22 PM
Lady M,

With all that beautiful yarn youīve got, your lucky neice or nephew could be well equipped with heartfelt, home made gifts! I think those are just the best!!!!!!

Be sure to post your projects as you complete them - that will probably help give you the boost needed to start ( and complete ) the next project!

Good luck! Karen

Mrs. Columbo
02-22-2007, 03:37 PM
I used to do cross stitch and a lot of it ..... made gifts for everyone, friends, family, wedding samplers, baby samplers, whatever .... then about 15 years ago I took up making mohair teddy bears .... sold a few mostly by word of mouth when I lived in Newfoundland ..... I taught baton twirling for six years and my team did a fundraiser on two of my bears ... last year I finished one the day our dog passed away .... our daughter is expecting a baby and asked if I'd make her a bear .... there are only so many bears you can make for so many people and once everyone has one, it's pretty much done, unless you are selling them for income, which I wasn't .... and they are expensive to make ...

This is why I took up knitting .... there are unlimited possibilities of what you can make ... I could make ten things for my mom, the new grandbaby, my husband, my kids and none be duplicated (per se) .... I was used to being a mohair stashie .. now I have a bunch of that plus my yarn stash ....

I'm incurable. I jump from one stash to another .... :teehee:

Toby

PurlyGyrl
02-22-2007, 03:40 PM
I've been lurking and following the suggestions for stashbusting which have been very helpful. I have to knit up my yarn stash before I buy more. :pout:

But I just had to drop in and say:

LADY M, I :notworthy: grovel in the greatness of your stash. All Hail Lady M! :thud:

Mrs. Columbo
02-22-2007, 07:21 PM
Well my brainless puppy (pictured) came into my studio today with a wild hair and stole my bag off my desk and ran with it .... when my daughter finally realized what he had and got it from him some of the stitches had fallen off and unraveled, one of the needles fell out and he had eaten one of the markers .... what was going to be a rather nice bag has turned into a soggy mess of Bullmastiff slime ..... Alanna running after him "KYRO! THAT'S MOM'S BAG!!" I have two more balls of the yarn and half of this one so maybe it will be enough to make another bag ... AGGHHHH Needless to say, today his name is NOT Kyro but some other four letter name!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Toby :passedout:

Mulderknitter
02-22-2007, 07:36 PM
Mrs. colombo, I am in love with your dog :passedout: I love big dogs and want one soooooooo bad :waah: but DH and $ do not permit at this time. I will have to live vicariously through your posts of your dogs antics :woot: and pictures.... and hug my kitties as though they are 90 pound dogs :roflhard:

Lady M
02-22-2007, 07:59 PM
Mrs. Columbo !!!! I am truly amazed at your sewing skills !!! :notworthy: You totaly ROCK and your bears are so beautiful, :heart: It makes me want to run out and buy a huge stash of fabric and start making them for the new baby !!! :happydance:

Think that I could find room for a stash of bears in the new house? :??

Oh My, Oh My........what can I get myself into next !!! :roflhard:

ArtLady1981
02-22-2007, 08:23 PM
Do you ever feel positively OVERWHELMED when trying to match your STASH YARN to a PATTERN/PROJECT?

I find myself rummaging around in my YARN STASH...and at the same time...leafing back and forth through my STACKS of books, leaflets and magazines!

If I find a pattern, I can't find a Stash Yarn in the right quantity, gauge and suitableness.
Or, worse, when I find the yarn I want to knit, I can't find a suitable pattern in my stack of books, leaflets and magazines!
Aaarghhh! :wall:

Have YOU ever spent the ENTIRE EVENING...til the wee hours of the morning...doing this FRUITLESS SEARCHING?

:hair: It is absolutely exhausting, isn't it? :hair:

Well, Stashies, I found a 'SEARCH AND MATCH' method that actually WORKS with little pain and frustration! (Shall we call it "Search and Rescue"? Afterall, we are searching for a way to rescue our Stash from YARN JAIL...those bags, boxes, bins, crates, cupboards, and trunks!)

HERE IS WHAT I DID: (ps: IT WORKS! :happydance: )

1) I assembled a stack of 2 colors of 3x5 cards.

2) On each of the orange cards, I wrote down a PATTERN that I would like to do within the next 6 months. One pattern per card. Info on the card included the amount of yarn needed, the gauge of the yarn required, the name of the giftee, and the book/leaflet/magazine plus page that contains the pattern.

3) On each of the blue/green cards, I wrote down the YARN that I would like to knit up within the next 6 months. One STASH YARN per card. Included the yarn info: gauge, fiber content, and how many yards/skeins I possess.

4) I laid them all out in front of me. I could easily spot which yarns and patterns were a possible match. Then, I had to decide: do I want to do that pattern in that color? If not, is there another suitable yarn card in a better color? When a 'match' was found, I clipped the two cards together, piggyback.

I was able to "match" 9 Stashes of Yarn to 9 Patterns! :cheering:

This SEARCH AND MATCH method really helped me PAIR UP my yarn with a pattern! It became QUICKLY evident what options and combinations were available to me using my exisiting yarn and patterns. AKA: De-Stashing!
I am posting some photos of these cards! I hope this will help you get your STASH YARN paired up with an actual PATTERN!

Mrs. Columbo
02-22-2007, 08:33 PM
Mrs. Columbo !!!! I am truly amazed at your sewing skills !!! :notworthy: You totaly ROCK and your bears are so beautiful, :heart: It makes me want to run out and buy a huge stash of fabric and start making them for the new baby !!! :happydance:

Think that I could find room for a stash of bears in the new house? :??

Oh My, Oh My........what can I get myself into next !!! :roflhard:

Oh thank you thank you .... my bears are on my site ... even the pig I made is there and my dogs have a page each and a collective silly one for Kona and Willow ...

Toby

BostonBecca
02-22-2007, 09:05 PM
I have only been knitting since Thanksgiving, but I have a large stash and let me count, 1, 2, 3, 4 projects OTN and a large plastic bucket ( I know I need somewhere better to store my yarn but it is all I have so far) full of stash yarn, all dedicated to projects. I have a package coming with more yarn that I already purchased. I should not buy any more yarn.

My name is Rebecca, and I am an addict.

misha rf
02-22-2007, 10:03 PM
Lady M, WOW! Can we shop at your house? :mrgreen:

ArtLady, those cards are a great idea. I could use something like that...

I finished knitting my first bag earlier this evening--12 skeins of Paton SWS! That sucker is big! I meant to take a pic before I started felting it. I'm not sure how long felting this thing will take (we're on round 4), but I'll post pics after it's dry.

Lady M
02-23-2007, 12:07 AM
ArtLady,

Your card system is awsome! :muah: It is a great way to match projects with yarn and keep knitting away, without digging thru all this mess here looking for a match. Thanks for the information. :muah: You are really taking care of us "Serial Stashers"

Also, I had a knitting book here called " 100 More Afghan Squares To Knit" by Debbie Abrahams. After your book post. I started digging into my book stash and I found it. Perhaps their will be something inside of it that I can use.

I have a lot of knitting books and have ordered a few more that are on the way here from Knit Picks now, strickly for knitting baby items. I do not feel that I am a book stasher, because I actually use all of the books that I have bought and I refrence from them all the time. I just don't grab books off the shelf and compulsively by them. I look at every book that I want to buy and see if their are enough patterns that I like in it to make the purchase worth getting and then I shop the Book Stores, Used Book Stores and Online Book Stores to get the best price on the books that I want. I wish I had that much self control over buying yarn, but we can't all be perfect !!! :roflhard: :roflhard:

Now I am looking for some index cards......... maby a trip into town is warrented tomorrow...........But NO stopping at the Yarn stop....... :roflhard:

dustinac
02-23-2007, 10:38 AM
Mrs Columbo I love your bear!! :cheering:

Lady M~ :thud: I want your yarn stash

ArtLady~Thanks for the tips with the index cards :happydance:

Back in Jan. I was looking through the sock swap posts.. wishing I had been brave enough to join when I seen Angelia's sock (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20679&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=1335) :thud: so I PMed her right away and she was super sweet and sent me the link to the pattern (http://www.knittingzone.com/catalog/product_info.php?pName=bird-foot-socks-download) I bought it and couldn't wait to get started... I drove brendajos crazy with do you think this yarn will work questions thinking I would use a reward for the yarn... but after wks of looking at sock yarn I couldn't take it anymore I had to start.. so I went to my stash and pulled out Patons kroy sock yarn... I was kinda nervous about the colors wasn't for sure it would work but now I'm glad I chose them... I did get mad at the sock for about a week.. I couldn't get the sole pattern to work out :oops: finally after e-mailing the designer and making some charts up I was able to move on... last night I did a happy jig as I BO this sock... still gotta do the other one but thinking I should work on the baby afghan first.. anyways here it is :happydance:

Again Angelia thank you so much for your help and being so sweet to me!! :hug:

Mrs. Columbo
02-23-2007, 11:46 AM
Socks scare me though the ladies at our Knitting Night say they are mindless and you can knit them anywhere ...... they still scare me (but yours are gorgeous) .... :hug:

I've heard to start with baby socks ... does anyone have an easy pattern for those? They stay on better than booties, I think my daughter would like a pair, they have a new baby coming next month ....

Glad you like my bear dustinac! Here's the pig I made for a gift Harley riding girlfriend but he was so cute and so much work I kept him. He's 19 inches tall ... :eyebrow:

Toby

auburnchick
02-23-2007, 12:03 PM
Well my brainless puppy (pictured) came into my studio today with a wild hair and stole my bag off my desk and ran with it .... when my daughter finally realized what he had and got it from him some of the stitches had fallen off and unraveled, one of the needles fell out and he had eaten one of the markers .... what was going to be a rather nice bag has turned into a soggy mess of Bullmastiff slime ..... Alanna running after him "KYRO! THAT'S MOM'S BAG!!" I have two more balls of the yarn and half of this one so maybe it will be enough to make another bag ... AGGHHHH Needless to say, today his name is NOT Kyro but some other four letter name!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Toby :passedout:

I hope you disciplined him mightily. This is, what, the 10th thing he's gotten into? Naughty dog!!! :teehee:

My daughter's new puppy has a bad habit of grabbing whatever is on the table when he runs by. I've learned to leave the knitting bag up high. He's like a cat when he sees my yarn dangling!

Petals
02-23-2007, 01:42 PM
Dustinac, your sock is beautiful. :thumbsup: Great work!!

heykaren
02-23-2007, 05:55 PM
holy cow - thatīs your FIRST sock??? That is just plain awesome!!!!! :notworthy:

Cute pig Toby!!! BTW, just came across this pattern for baby socks - hope it helps! http://www.ptyarn.com/wiggles.html

Karen

EssenceRose
02-23-2007, 07:54 PM
Oh my!! I'm a latecomer as I've been away for a while... but funnily enough, I made this promise to myself late last year before ever seeing this thread.

I have a whole basket full of yarn that I've stashed up and haven't touched... naughty me!! So I vowed I would use it up before buying any more.

Currently, I am using up some baby yarn I bought about a year ago. I have started the baby hat and then (hopefully) will do the booties and cardigan that go with it. I have not bought a SINGLE bit of yarn once all year!

For me, every project is a reward project since I'm the "it's all about the finished project" type of knitter. I have projects in mind for every bit of yarn I have... I just have to get the motivation to do them! LOL So I'm not allowed to think up any more projects until the others are finished and my stash has been reduced. :happydance:

ArtLady1981
02-23-2007, 08:30 PM
Welcome to the Year of the Stash 2007, EssenceRose! We look forward to your Posts! You are in the RIGHT PLACE at the right time!

Stash On, Sister! :muah:

dustinac
02-24-2007, 09:35 AM
holy cow - thatīs your FIRST sock??? That is just plain awesome!!!!! :notworthy: Karen

:rofl: nah its not my first sock wish I could have done that on my first sock.. its my real first job of working with the colors all the way through... I've just added colors here and there to projects..

Thank you all for the compliments on my sock... I CO to a toe up sock last night... :oops: I'll make it's pair someday..

OHH how cute I love that pig!!! I can see why you would keep it.. he is to cute!! Baby socks are easy to do... I have done this one (http://www.valleycafe.com/knitting/sock-pattern.html) and it was very quick and would be great for a new sock knitter.. have you looked at Silver's tutorial? Its very helpful too... also if you are afraid of starting with smaller yarn I made a lot of these (http://www.beartoes.com/patterns/tropicalpunch.html) for Christmas and they are easy and fast to do....Socks look hard but are pretty easy.. I also don't get bored doing socks as much... like the baby afghan I'm doing... bored out of my mind :teehee:

Welcome EssenceRose :happydance: !!!

Lady M
02-25-2007, 12:35 PM
I almost didn't find this thread, since it was moved............I was beginning to think that it had been abandoned......... :verysad:

I have started my first stash busting project now, :happydance: after all that inventory and organization. Pictures are located on my blog, if anyone wants to take a peek.

Welcome to all of the New " Serial Stashers". This is a great place to begin to reform and THIS REHAB IS FREE !!!!. Of Course with the help of our fearless, caring leader Art Lady. :cheering:

My Blog Is Located At:

http://ladymknits.blogspot.com/

:muah: Keep On Knitting From Your Stash !!!! :muah:

ArtLady1981
02-25-2007, 03:58 PM
This thead moved??? Where to???
I looked and looked for it, too :shrug: ...and couldn't find it anywhere on pages 1-4 of General Knitting!!!

Well, I was going to Post progress of my Stash Aran Afghan, anyway...so went to my Inbox and clicked on the last notification I got yesterday!

I have used 10 out of 20 skeins of the red Rowan POLAR. The afghan is 38" in length now! Good news for me because I wanted it to be about 80" long, and was very disappointed to discover that 11 of my 30 skeins were a different dyelot. That's what I get for keeping yarn for years...I forget things like this!

Decided to use Stash Yarn to make a crazy quilt for one of my little granddaughters. Made her sister a crazy quilt 4 years ago, and they tussle over it in the TV room! (Made it before the littlest sister was born, from leftover yarn from all the sweaters I had made for all the little granddaughters)

So, I am Posting pics of Square #1...along with the book I am using. I have 8 full skeins of Red Heart...red, lime, turquoise, yellow, green, 3 varigated Crayons, Oceans, and Citrus. It should make an interesting crazy quilt! The squares are 7"x7" on size US 7 needles. The quilt will be 7 squares wide, 9 squares in length...49"x63". Nice and cozy for years to come as she grows up.

Well, I will Post this now...and then go looking :verysad: for our Year of the Stash 2007 somewhere on the Forum. Sigh. Why don't they tell us they are going to move us to another 'room'???

madametj
02-25-2007, 04:36 PM
ok, i've been avoiding asking the question for a couple of weeks now, but here it goes: what does "aran" mean? :??

ArtLady1981
02-25-2007, 05:04 PM
Aran is just a term that denotes the style of cabling...another style of cabled patterns/garments is Celtic...and another is Viking Knits.

I googled the words ARAN AFGHAN and here is just one link I got:
http://www.knittinguniverse.com/xrx/booksDetail.php?ID=60

For CELTIC AFGHAN, here is one example:
http://web.archive.org/web/20041122014232/www.thesmartyarns.com/Celticknotafghan.html

And, for VIKING KNITS, here is my favorite and foremost designer, Elsebeth Lavold link:
http://www.ingenkonst.se/svkc1_e.htm

There may be more information about the differences between aran, celtic and viking...and there may be more terms to describe additional styles that involve CABLES...
Are there any STASHIES who want to contribute to this train of thought??

In my opinion...Aran cables are the easiest. Celtic and Viking are more interesting, but a little more complex. A nice challenge. I have knit dozens of Elsebeth Lavold's designs. LOVE THEM and LOVE HER.

dustinac
02-25-2007, 05:46 PM
:cheering: That is so pretty!!

Yeah when I signed in yesterday it was missing so I tried whatcha knitting and then this for the knit alongs.. and here we were :rofl: I figured they would have let you know ArtLady...

nadja la claire
02-25-2007, 05:46 PM
ok, i've been avoiding asking the question for a couple of weeks now, but here it goes: what does "aran" mean? :??

The Aran islands are three islands 30 miles off the West coast of Ireland where they knit cable patterns like the Trinity pattern, bobbles and diamond panel. A friend of mine gave me "Traditional Island Knitting" by Pam Dawson which is a wonderful book. Not only does it give you the most wonderful patterns but it also gives the history of the various islands and their knitting.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

Lady M
02-25-2007, 05:53 PM
Art Lady,

We are now located in the Knit-A-Long section of the forum. I almost never found it. I bet a lot of our "Serial Stashers" have thought we abandoned them.......... :verysad:

I hope everyone finds us again :hug:

madametj
02-25-2007, 06:40 PM
Art Lady,

We are now located in the Knit-A-Long section of the forum. I almost never found it. I bet a lot of our "Serial Stashers" have thought we abandoned them.......... :verysad:

I hope everyone finds us again :hug:

i'm been playing "Stashie Messenger" :teehee: today. i went ahead and PMed everyone that ArtLady didnt get a chance to. I'm pretty sure everyone got the messege :hug:

Eloewien
02-25-2007, 08:22 PM
Alrighty, guess I need to join up. Kept debating, cuz I love my LYS but I"m so broke I gotta use my stash. Let's see- to start with, I donated a skein of Patons Classic merino to a friend for her to make something for her son... *ding*, and my rona shawl *ding* (two done)
I bought yarn for my friend's birthday present (almost 1/3 of the way done-- it's a purse made with clearance yarn from walmart that was just too cute!!)

I'm working on a set of wristwarmers with yarn leftovers from my Stitch Diva SKB, it's Arucania nature wool. One is nearly done (started 4 hours ago...)

I'm chugging thru a shawl, if I could make up my mind which pattern to use, that is using some Lacey Lamb from my stash.

I'm also 1/2way through my Hild sweater, so I should get that done soon.

I've been commissioned to make 3 Norbertas- 2 will use stash yarn, the third will be half stash yarn and half new yarn, unless I have some orange hiding somewhere.

I've been commissioned to make a rogue sweater as well, so I'll be getting that yarn on Friday (payday). And I'll be picking up yarn for my Rogue too- if I get the yarn NOW, I won't go back and spend more money I don't have.
Soooo... I guess this is overall a stash reduction. Not in size only because of the two sweaters, but such is life. I'm trying to be good. If you count the money I will be paid for the rogue, I'll end up in my favor even with buying my yarn.

So I guess I have been unconsciously stashbusting!

Laura

Braden
02-25-2007, 08:34 PM
Whew, I almost couldn't find the Stashie headquarters. Glad Mademetj PM'd me.

Lady M
02-25-2007, 09:00 PM
I have a question for all of the "Stashies" here.

What are you doing with all of the odd and ends that you have left as you are stash busting? Has anyone got a pattern for those last 50 yards of whatever kind of yarn that is left when we finish a project?

I would love to be able to just start some kind of blanket or anything with the small balls of leftover yarns, regaurdless the colors or yarn weights. Thick or thin, slinky or fluffy, arcylic or wool.

If anyone has ever made something or knows of a pattern for something like this, would you post it for us all to see. I hate tossing any yarn and I know that all of these odds and ends could make something really beautiful if we all put our heads together !!! :muah:

madametj
02-25-2007, 09:19 PM
Has anyone got a pattern for those last 50 yards of whatever kind of yarn that is left when we finish a project?

yes! we've got a thread for that: StashBuster Ideas (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26177) is where u can find patterns there for wrist warmers, iPod cozies, headbands, socks, slippers, hats, dishclothes... it all depends on what u like ;)

BostonBecca
02-25-2007, 09:26 PM
I definately need to join this. Despite only having been knitting for a short while, I have tons of yarn. I can't believe how much I have. I already was inspired by this thread to stop buying more yarn, but I think I need to make it official, because I was looking on ebay today at yarn and it was so hard not to bid.

BostonBecca
02-25-2007, 09:29 PM
I decided to take all the ends of wool yarn I end up with and make a felted bag. I am going to just cast on with circulars and join and knit in garter stitch and when I run out of one color, just start in with another, then when it gets big (probably in a year) felt the entire thing. That way I won't keep small amounts of yarn around I would otherwise because I am the worst packrat!

Hsiaokuo62
02-25-2007, 09:52 PM
Glad to find you Stashies!! I'm in for sure - in the corner of my bedroom is a bookcase full of yarn in bags ready for projects... :oops: but that's not all.... the corner in the living room behind the hutch has stacking baskets full and overflwoing with yarn! And I just got an order from Yarn Forward of 6 skeins of Javoll sock yarn, with 2 more back-ordered!

Right now as you can see from the sig at the bottom, I am working on a pair of socks for my daughter. They are using the Old Shale pattern
http://stitchesofviolet.blogspot.com/2004/12/old-shale-two-yarn-sock-pattern.html

using the yarn leftover from the 2 color socks I made for my Sockintine's Day pal! So that counts as stash.... This is the first time I've done an eye of partridge heel flap. It sounds so mysterious but its just alternating the slips and knits in the rows of normal heel stitich. The colors are deep pink (really more like purple) and deep pink/black marl.

Also the brown alpaca sweater I'm working on is from stash yarn purchased when our ONLY LYS closed down last year. I haven't spent much time on it but it is going to be really soft and cozy. The owner of the LYS found me the pattern on an online pattern generator, and then I modified it again when I got started on it a few weeks ago. I am knitting it in k1p1 throughout to make it extra cozy, and to avoid the alpaca tendency to go limp.

I also have OTN the lang criss cross vest, which is a very fancy (for me) st pattern but no shaping. It comes out like a fairly wide scarf, really long, and you sew it so it criss crosses over your chest and back. It was going SOOOOOO SLLLOOOWWW that I couldn't take it. I'm not a fast knitter anyway :-x

Also have a hat for DSD that is OTH (crochet!) I need to make myself dig into the SNB crochet book and really learn - I have been trying to get my crochet friends to help but I would need a lot more of their time than is reasonable to ask.

And, and, and!

madametj
02-26-2007, 12:02 AM
just remebered: another thing u can do with the left over yarn is use it for the heels and toes for ur next pair of socks

ArtLady1981
02-26-2007, 01:33 AM
Me and Madametj have been sending PMs to our Stash Sisters...to let y'all know that the Mod Squad moved our thread to Knit-Alongs yesterday.

Thanks to all of you who also brought it to our attention in the first place!

:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :grphug: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

dustinac
02-26-2007, 09:47 AM
:cheering: Welcome to the group!!!

:happydance: I'm at the half way point on my baby blanket.. I'm not gonna have enough yarn to finish it though... Won't be going out till this weekend so can work on my matching sock :rofl: I was trying to figure out how much yarn I had bought this month... cause I can't belive this is right.. but it is.. I haven't bought any new yarn this month... I did buy a sock book and set of dpns from KP but that is it... :blooby:

ETA: I just remebered that I bought yarn at the LYS... when they had the super bowl sale.. I bought it so I would have enough yarn for the scarf once a month class.. that then got cancelled cause I was the only one who signed up for it :-x

auburnchick
02-26-2007, 12:11 PM
i'm been playing "Stashie Messenger" :teehee: today. i went ahead and PMed everyone that ArtLady didnt get a chance to. I'm pretty sure everyone got the messege :hug:

Thanks for the PMs!

auburnchick
02-26-2007, 12:14 PM
Me and Madametj have been sending PMs to our Stash Sisters...to let y'all know that the Mod Squad moved our thread to Knit-Alongs yesterday.

Thanks to all of you who also brought it to our attention in the first place!

:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :grphug: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Thanks to both you you!!! :muah:

Mrs. Columbo
02-26-2007, 04:46 PM
Hey ArtLady,

I want to make your baby blanket from the Microspun as our Michaels just started carrying it .. I see yours is quite big and used 16 balls .. unfortunately all I could get in the Lilac color was six balls and they haven't had any more come in ... how can I do the same pattern in a smaller scale and using 8.0 needles? I don't have any 10's (sent them to my mom to use for the Red Scarf Project) .. unless I could travel to another Michaels and check their shelves ... hmm. :hug:

Toby (no good with math)

heykaren
02-26-2007, 05:56 PM
:pout: I want to go to Michaelīs..... ( no Michaelīs here in Spain... )

Well, after thinking long and hard, I have decided to make an afghan with my 6 skeins of Homespun! I had wanted to make a sweater with it, but after reading otherīs difficulties with it, went searching for an afghan pattern. Iīm mixing it with a pumpkin colored Dacron ( bought it cheap at a dollar shop when I first started knitting last year ). I was a bit worried that I might not have enough of the Dacron, but when I went upstairs this afternoon to pick up more skeins from my stash, I realized that I had 2 balls more than I thought - so I should have enough of both to finish a sofa sized throw!!!!!! :cheering: That will make a big reduction in my stash!!!! ( IĻm saving yarn points for now - donīt want to buy any more yarn - well except some to try some socks..... )

Iīm thinking of "lining" the afghan with some flannel - has anyone done this - is it do-able?

Karen

ArtLady1981
02-26-2007, 06:14 PM
Hi Toby!

My baby blanket took 16 balls and 10.5 needles because of using double strand.

I think you could get by with 8 balls on size 8's.

Do this as a "check": Weigh the skein...like on a postage or Weight Watchers scale...take note of the grams...and begin your blanket. When you have knit 1/2 of that skein...measure how much length you get from it...and multiply those inches by 16. That will be about the final length of the blanket using all 8 skeins.

If you don't want to knit 1/2 the skein as a trial: knit 1/4...then multiply the length by 32.

Anyway, doesn't MIcrospun call for US 8 needles anyway, just about?

It will be lovely using single strand...mine was very very thick, like a crib blanket. But, I have oooooodles of Stash to get rid of. :pout:

Yours may be more like a swaddling baby blanket! :happydance: I am sure it will be really really nice! Keep us Posted with photos!

PS: if at all possible...use Addis or Crystal Palace bamboo needles. The tips are blunter. MicroSpun is known to be "splitty". You'll go nuts. I am OCD when it comes to perfect stitches. I cannot abide split yarn. I gotta go back or go down and fix it. With Addis or bamboos, you will hardly get a split.

Mrs. Columbo
02-26-2007, 06:30 PM
Anyway, doesn't MIcrospun call for US 8 needles anyway, just about?

PS: if at all possible...use Addis or Crystal Palace bamboo needles. The tips are blunter. MicroSpun is known to be "splitty". You'll go nuts. I am OCD when it comes to perfect stitches. I cannot abide split yarn. I gotta go back or go down and fix it. With Addis or bamboos, you will hardly get a split.

Actually this says US 4 or 3.5 mm ... wonder if it's the same. This looks very thin .. soft but thin .. the balls are small 2.5 oz ...

Aggh .. I hate splitty yarn ... I do have two pair of Addis and a pair of 8mm Crystal Palace bamboos ....

Thanks much
Toby

Mulderknitter
02-26-2007, 07:16 PM
thought I would post a few fo's and wips so I don't get kicked out of the group!
I finished this scarf a few months ago. it was the first time I had tried Malabrigo and I loved it! It's lopi lace scarf from Weekend Knitting.
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b197/MulderMom/Picture083.jpg
And this is the first clog I just finished yesterday, and cast on right away for the 2nd, was feeling a bit of second clog syndrome!
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b197/MulderMom/Picture082.jpg
I just hope they turn out ok!

BostonBecca
02-26-2007, 07:34 PM
I got more yarn in the mail today! However, it is all destined for specific projects, and was ordered before I joined so I didn't break any rules. Whew. The finished projects look great! I am working on mine, and my last spring break ever(in final semester of law school) is coming up so I should get lots of knitting time then!

ArtLady1981
02-26-2007, 07:53 PM
Hey there Mulder! Nice job! Your knitting is beautiful! Waay to go...and stay in touch! Post photos of WIP's to encourage us! Sometimes a project takes so long to finish...so post photos as you go along! xxx

Hey there Toby! I think US 4 needles would be too small. I now rememb er I knit a baby kimono and blankets about 2 years ago...and used US 8. The stitch was garter.. .but no matter...I think our basketweave baby blanket will do great with US 8. Glad you have Addis and CP's on hand. I love to use KPO's...but not for splitty yarns. Aaargh.

Hi BostonBecca! WELCOME TO STASHIES! Whatever you ordered or committed to prior to joining our STASH TRAIN...is OK!

Well I finally caved in a used my NEW YARN REWARD this afternoon.
I had to order it...the shop didn't have 16 skeins in my red. BUT...I do have a cardigan pattern all set for it! I will swatch tonight, get my notes in order...and maybe allow myself to start the BACK!

I don't mind having two or three OTN projects going...especially if they are very different. For example, the Red Aran Afghan I am working on is waaaaay too cumbersome to take to knitting club, or knitting w/ friends. It has to stay home. Besides, I may a huge error on the bobbles last night when the Oscars were on. Had to frog two rows, and was fortunate to get all the stitches sorted out. 242 stitches on the row!

I have a perfectly mindless pullover OTN for when I go out. I hate the yarn...but am determined to get it done by next Fall. Usually, I finish a pullover or cardigan in 2 weeks, from the 'cast on' to the 'wearing it out the door'.

Will work on the Crazy Quilt Squares Afghan for my granddaughter this spring/summer...we have 5 weeks at our mountain property...1 in May, June, July, August, Oct. So...knitting the 7"x7" squares will be perfect for sitting in the sun with mountain breezes brushing by!

I will try to finish the Red Aran Afghan within this week...
Will begin the cardigan 'cast on' as my Reward! The yarn is Cloud 9 by Cascade. 50% wool/50%angora. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! :heart:

madametj
02-26-2007, 08:02 PM
:pout: I want to go to Michaelīs..... ( no Michaelīs here in Spain... )

eh. u're not missing much. my Michaels doesnt have much that Walmart doesnt :shrug:

Hsiaokuo62
02-26-2007, 10:01 PM
Very nice, Mulder!

DotMom61
02-26-2007, 10:38 PM
I lost my notifications for this thread! Thanks, madametj, for sending me a note about the thread moving.

I have continued knitting from my stash, and I finished one little charity sweater that I've yet to photograph. I'm working on a pair of socks for my DD now using some yarn that I bought a while back but never got to.

Let's see what else ... :thinking: ... oh yes, there was the start to another sweater called the Auspicious Coincidences Baby Sweater. I found the pattern in Compassionate Knitting. The whole idea is that you take several balls of yarn from your stash -- in "harmonizing" colors -- put them in a bag or box, and then randomly pull them out & knit them according to one of 4 row patterns prescribed by the sweater pattern.

It was a fun project, but I didn't bother w/ the "harmonizing" color part, and I ended up with some absolutely horrible color combinations. :ick: The pattern says, "Try not to rip it out just because you don't think the colors go together." But I kept imagining some poor little child being taunted by his or her peers because of the ugly colors. :oops:

So, I actually just threw it away. I had only knit about 3 to 4" on it. So, no great loss. I may give it another try & instead of just grabbing whatever yarn sticks to my hand from my stash box, I'll try actually color-coordinating a few colors & sticking with them.

All right ... off to head the children in the general direction of their bedrooms! Have a pleasant evening, everyone!

Hsiaokuo62
02-26-2007, 11:30 PM
Here is how the sock is coming along.... folded shows how the cuff will look when worn.

ArtLady1981
02-27-2007, 12:31 AM
Hey there DotMom!
I saw a free pattern on www.About.com knitting section a few years ago...it was an interesting combo of different yarns and colors. It was not striped though. Here is what you would do with a bag of similar weight yarns of different colors: Start with one yarn...knit it til it ends...then tie in another yarn...knit it til it ends...etc...etc.

It works best if any given length of yarn is not too long. It is a really random dispersment of colors changing up anywhere in the rows.

I thought about doing it myself. Never got around to it. But, after I finish this knitted Crazy Quilt Afghan for my little granddaughter...I think I will!
[I am using 8 REd Heart Stash Skeins: turquoise, yellow, red, green, lime, crayons variegated, beach variegated and citrus variegated. I will end up with lots of left over yarn. Red Heart skeins go for miles and miles.]

But, I do believe I will cut the lengths into shorter lengths ahead of time...like maybe 18", 14" and 36" lengths. I want a crazy dispersment of colorations.

I thought of this pattern when I read your post. I will look into that website and see if they still have the pattern. I can't find it in My Documents right at the moment. Maybe I printed it and then deleted it off my computer. It was in the FREE PATTERNS sections of about.com for a long time. Maybe it is still lingering there.

heykaren
02-27-2007, 06:52 AM
:pout: No Walmarts either......

Hsiaokuo62
02-27-2007, 10:42 AM
I read about one like that, it was written up in a sort of personal story by a yarn mag editor at the very end of one of the knitting magazines, about 3-4 mos ago.

The idea was to make a triangular shawl, starting with the point. You add one st on the end of each row and keep going until it is as big as you want. The author said you could make it really really big and use it like a throw, or smaller for a shawl.

You change yarns randomly depending on your stash and what your feel like. The author emphasized the textures as well as colors. I remember the title of the piece was something like *Mindless Knitting*.

BostonBecca
02-27-2007, 12:04 PM
Well, not really, because I have made some progress on a couple projects. The hood for my hooded scarf is so close to being a large enough rectangle to sew up the back to create the hood. I am so excited about that!

lucky_alf2
02-27-2007, 05:20 PM
Hi All! I'm a newbie knitter and I only have a small stash (mainly baby yarn) I am planning to work through -- so I'd :heart: LOVE :heart: to join you in your stash-busting KA! It's so much more fun with others to chear you along! I also like the idea of using up some of what I have and then rewarding myself with something new (as I certainly have a never ending list of projects to try!!)

I'm looking at making a Diamond Baby Blanket (http://www.knittingonthenet.com/patterns/babyafbh.htm). The only drawback is that blankets seem to take me sooooo long to make (i am a slow knitter) -- I might have to have mini incentive rewards staged part way through --is that still fair?

Last night I was trying to figure out if my Sirdar Snuggly DK would work well in place of the CP Bunny Hop yarn the pattern calls for. I couldn't find anything on Yarndex for the Bunny Hop but I am thinking my Sirdar might be too fine. Maybe I'll knit up a test swatch to see if I like it.....

dustinac
02-27-2007, 05:47 PM
:cheering: Love everything guys.. you are all doing a wonderful job!! Love seeing the progress and the finished objects..

lucky_alf2~ That is the baby afghan I'm doing for my friend.. I just doubled up red heart baby soft and size 10 needles.. afghans always take me forever cause I get bored and don't want to work on them lol.. I'm thinking 4 repeats of the pattern will be enough.. I'm almost done with the 3rd...

Mulder~ I like that clog do they seem comfy?

Hsiaokuo62~ love the socks!!

I have a small yarn shop very small.. and then wally world.. everything else I get is from shopping online..

Well I need to drag myself back over to my chair and work on the baby afghan.. so I can make a matching sock... ohh I did CO for my first toe sock its looking so neat.. going the opposite way but I put it up till I finish these other 2 things... :happydance:

Mulderknitter
02-27-2007, 07:34 PM
dustinac-thanks! I haven't gotten the darn clogs finished yet, seem to have too many other non important things to do... :wall: I will i promise post a fo pic, I love posting pics and getting feedback! good luck on that afghan! I started one about a month ago and am only 4 skeins in on double strand, basketweave, about to off myself if I have to knit any more on it.... :ick: so boring! but I really want to finish it so I can take it to work before they turn the Air conditioner on! :doh:

madametj
02-27-2007, 08:45 PM
:pout: No Walmarts either......

:noway: :thud:

Thanks, madametj, for sending me a note about the thread moving.

You're welcome, also you're welcome to the rest of you who said thanks, and also to those of u who took the time to sent me thank u notes!

:muah: