PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with your swatches?

madametj
01-21-2007, 12:12 AM
I've heard that some ppl save them and make afgans w/ them, but what else can you do with them?

oh, and i stole something that looks like this (http://www.birchhaby.com.au/datafiles/product/crop_knitting_gauges.jpg_110020.jpg) from my moms sewing kit. it said "sewing and knitting gauge." i don't know how to use it though.

(it was so funny, i went up to her and was like "i stole this from u mom." and she was like " :whoosh: what is it?" :roflhard: she has like a gazillion sewing gadgets and i'm not even sure if she know what they all are cus she never sews. :teehee: )

hunterjenn
01-21-2007, 12:16 AM
oh, and i stole something that looks like this (http://www.birchhaby.com.au/datafiles/product/crop_knitting_gauges.jpg_110020.jpg) from my moms sewing kit. it said "sewing and knitting gauge." i don't know how to use it though.

(it was so funny, i went up to her and was like "i stole this from u mom." and she was like " :whoosh: what is it?" :roflhard: she has like a gazillion sewing gadgets and i'm not even sure if she know what they all are cus she never sews. :teehee: )

:teehee: Uhhh...I sew like mad, and have for years, and though I saw those when I worked in a fabric store, I have NEVER known what they're for!!

Stiney
01-21-2007, 12:18 AM
I don't bind off my swatches, so I frog them and use the yarn in the project. That's when I actually bother to swatch, that is. :teehee:

madametj
01-21-2007, 12:19 AM
Uhhh...I sew like mad, and have for years, and though I saw those when I worked in a fabric store, I have NEVER known what they're for!!

i know, i was like "ok the knitting gauge part i get, but when you sew you check gauge?" :hmm:

sunshinex2
01-21-2007, 12:21 AM
My mom had one of those too. I played with it when I was little. Only time I ever saw her use it was measuring a hem on a skirt. Does that sound right? :shrug: I'll ask her the next time I call her...so what is that thingamabob? :rofl:

quriouskey
01-21-2007, 12:21 AM
I don't bind off my swatches, so I frog them and use the yarn in the project. That's when I actually bother to swatch, that is. :teehee:

Me too.

landolphe
01-21-2007, 12:27 AM
I save my swatches and, worse yet, whenever I am learning a new stitch or stitch pattern, I knit up enough to get a good look at it in scale. So, I have all too many bits of dis-'n'dat littering the land. My story is that I will one day need to refer back to them. My tat are of all sizes and shapes, so I am not clear how they might become afghan fodder, but I continue to think about it. :teehee:

redwitch
01-21-2007, 12:27 AM
I'm a somewhat new knitter, and haven't done very many of the type of projects that require specific gauge... but when I do, I make sure not to cut the wool, and I unravel the swatch later (or I keep it in case I need to unravel).
I think that different swatches are different sizes, so don't make a good 'afghan', how do you make a square/rectangular blanket of squares that are different sizes?
Also, they'll be different fabrics, if one is super-soft, and one is from a scratchy wool used for a bag, the whole blanket may as well be scratchy. And different colours... my warm-tone knitted items' colour won't match my accessories' brighter colours.

But other people may tend to knit more colours that go together, and similar fabrics, etc. But a swatch afghan isn't sensible given my swatches.

FYI: 'afghan' in New Zealand English is a person from Afghanistan, or a type of biscuit (an Afghan/Afghan biscuit).

Sarah

Jan in CA
01-21-2007, 01:42 AM

Me three. :teehee:

KnitClickChick
01-21-2007, 02:08 AM
I can't stand to waste yarn on swatches that will just lay around... I also do not bind them off, just frog 'em :happydance:

Mariblue
01-21-2007, 02:49 AM
Yep, I frog them too.
:teehee: Mariblue

Lieke
01-21-2007, 03:50 AM
I also frog them

niffer
01-21-2007, 06:30 AM
I have Grand plans for my swatches, whether they will ever come to pass is a different matter altogether.

When I learn to embroider (which I'm doing a little of now) I'm gonna embroider something into each swatch to remind me what each item became and who it went to and why (symbols, not words), then I'm gonna sew them all together one day and have a kind of knitting journal of my projects.

It'll be all higgledy piggledy with different colours and textures but thats OK.
Its just a plan and it may not work out that way, but I'm saving swatches anyway.

michellebreton
01-21-2007, 09:41 AM
My mom had one of those too. I played with it when I was little. Only time I ever saw her use it was measuring a hem on a skirt. Does that sound right? :shrug: I'll ask her the next time I call her...so what is that thingamabob? :rofl:

I've done quite a bit of sewing, and I use that all the time when I working on hems and such. I've never heard or noticed it referred to as a sewing gauge, but I suppose you need to "gauge" how far to turn your hem.

On the question of the swatches, I usually frog them!

Michelle

dustinac
01-21-2007, 09:44 AM
I frog them too.. I do have a magazine somewhere that showed a book bag sort of thing that they used all the swatches to make...

Stiney
01-21-2007, 11:13 AM
FYI: 'afghan' in New Zealand English is a person from Afghanistan, or a type of biscuit (an Afghan/Afghan biscuit).

Sarah

Here it means a person from Afghanistan, a breed of dog, a carpet, or a blanket.

A lot of my friends don't know the word "afghan" and even pre-9/11 were wondering why I had a person from Afghanistan on my bed. :rofl:

snowbear
01-21-2007, 11:16 AM
I've used that for years.. My Mother sewed continously.. she loved it. What she used it for was measuring hems, or width of seams when sewing. If she knew she had to make the seam wider or narrower, she would use that as she sewed the seam.

I've had to use that when making shirttail hems.. to make it correct.. (she was a perfectionist).

It was used for measuring all kinds of things. Also in quilting to make sure all the pieces were the same width.. if not using patterns.

Hope that helps..

cookworm
01-21-2007, 12:41 PM
I used to throw away my swatches after I knitted them up because I was cursing my clutter, but last night, I can say that I was needing a swatch for something I was trying to test out. I would imagine you can do something creative with them like make a quilt, but they would almost have to be the same type of yarn and weight to be work (it would also take a long time with 4"x4" swatches). Something like a purse might be cute--smaller and quicker.

Niffer, your idea is very cool! It sounds almost like it could be a crazy quilt idea. That would be pretty to combine two needlecrafts into one!

losnana
01-21-2007, 09:01 PM
I frog mine too. Somewhere, though, I read about saving them, along with the yarn label, a piece of the yarn, a pix of the completed item, and a journal entry of problems, etc. I should be so organized. Plus it would take up room that could be used for stash.

MoniDew
01-21-2007, 11:46 PM
make 2 and use them for pocket linings.

PS What does 'frog' mean? Unravel them?
________
Extreme vaporizers (http://www.vaporshop.com/extreme-q-vaporizer.html)

ChroniclesofYarnia
01-22-2007, 12:30 AM
What swatches? :teehee:

losnana
01-22-2007, 07:25 AM
Frog means to unravel, usually a lot
Rip it Rip it

Tink, which is knit backwards means to unknit stitch by stitch.

syndactylus
01-22-2007, 08:32 AM
usually I frog them but a couple of times I knit them to be washclothes after they were finished being swatches.

I also saw a pattern to make present decorations (like stars to attach to the ribbon etc.) and if I ever make something out of yarn that wants to be a star, maybe I will...

and here are some cute coasters I might make - http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/na_knitting/article/0,2025,DIY_14141_4989552,00.html

especially because a couple of books have insisted it's not a swatch until you wash and block it and I am getting very worried about this sweater I'm making, so I might go along with it this time. though I think it's more that my tension is bad. who knows.

Silver
01-22-2007, 08:46 AM
When I first started knitting, I kept them because I couldn't bear to lose any little piece I worked so hard on. But after a while I realized they just become clutter and are thrown away. So I now frog them too. http://www.clipart.co.uk/clipart/mazeguy/animal/frog.gif