PDA

View Full Version : OT -- My 8 YO DD wants her ears pierced?

zkimom
01-21-2007, 09:00 AM
Hi everyone!

My 8 YO darling dd wants her ears pierced. I don't mind at all and in fact am looking forward to having it done for her.

Question is -- where do I get it done?

Does anyone here have experience with a place like Claire's or another such store in the mall? I don't know any other place to get them pierced.

My mom did mine when I turned 13 with a surgical needle (she's a nurse) but that was a long time ago and there is no way I'm doing that to my sweet girl! My mom didn't even use ice! She just kept telling me that it wouldn't hurt a bit :!!!:

It did and I almost didn't let her do the other ear!

So what do you think?

Thanks!
Susan

vaknitter
01-21-2007, 09:21 AM
I had mine done at Claire's and it worked out fine. IMHO don't buy the solution they try to sell you, just use cotton balls to clean the area every day with alcohol and turn the earrings to keep them from adhering. Don't know that I've heard of having it done anywhere else....

purlwise
01-21-2007, 09:35 AM
LOL, my mom did mine too! With ice and a cork behind my ear!

dustinac
01-21-2007, 09:37 AM
I'm not sure if the place I had mine done is still open :rofl: I was prolly about 6 or 7 and in our mall was a store called the Earring Tree... after that I would just go my hair dresser and she would pierce them for me... I have tried wal-mart too but had problems with them although others haven't...

projectgal
01-21-2007, 09:44 AM
I had my ears peirced at a mall as a tween a LONG time ago. Places like Claire's probably have a better selection of starter earrings.

But I did notice that my children's pediatrician had up a little sign that they were doing ear piercings in case you wanted to go the medical route.

janelanespaintbrush
01-21-2007, 10:12 AM
I went to a jeweler who was recommended to me. I remember being a bit intimidated because it was a very high-end store and I was just a lowly teenager, but they were very nice.

snowbear
01-21-2007, 10:49 AM
My DD had granddaughter's ear's done at Clair's. She was 18 months. They did both ears at same time, with DD holding her.. She didn't cry.. justlooked very shocked.
Afterward, DD kept it clean w/ alcohol and turned the earings whenever she could... ie, meals, baths, etc. No problems.

DD is just now getting hair at 2 yrs so.. she is finally looking like a girl, lol.

XbelovedXoneX
01-21-2007, 11:08 AM
I personally do not believe piercing guns should be used at all. Granted, they've come a long way in what they used to be. They are never able to be completely sterilized. They are dull and can be damaging to the tissue. There are many reasons. Please read this (http://wiki.bmezine.com/index.php/Piercing_gun) link just to be informed. Of any option, I think going to a doctor may be the safest option. I always recommend going to a "real" piercer at a tattoo shop, but with younger children most reputable shops will not pierce their ears.

Now that I sound like a Negative Nancy... I had my ears pierced with a gun at Claire's when I was in 2nd grade. I turned out just fine thankfully. :teehee:

Chrissie
01-21-2007, 11:23 AM
I got mine done at Claire's when I was 13....no problem whatsoever.

Jess_knit
01-21-2007, 12:32 PM
I got my ears pierced at Claire's when I was 6...they did both at the same time because I was scared, and it turned out fine. I made sure to turn my earrings, but I never got an actual infection from the piercing itself.

I just have problems with certain types of metal, as I found out later..

KellyK
01-21-2007, 12:35 PM
I got mine done at the Earring Tree, too, Dustina!! Im SURE they are no longer existant. Ive never had a problem. I got second ones and one third at places in malls, too. :shrug:

cookworm
01-21-2007, 12:37 PM
LOL, my mom did mine too! With ice and a cork behind my ear!

I had mine done at a beauty salon when I was like 8, but then they got infected so we let them close up. My redid them the exact same way (ice cube!) when I was a little older, and she used a needle and "cat gut" (yuck! :ick: ) thread which we had to rotate back and forth in our ears. As it turns out, I'm allergic to nickel, which is probably why I had problems the first time!

I had both of my daughters' ears done at Claire's with absolutely no problems--it was a great experience both times. The first daughter, they were able to have two associates pierce both her ears at the same time (which worked out well because she's quite melodramatic and probably wouldn't have allowed them to pierce the second one after the first one was done!), but the youngest one they only had one associate, and she did both ears singly (which worked out fine because she's the ruffian of the two and could care less about stuff like that). There were no problems as far as infection, etc.

When my daughters had their ears done, the ear cleaning solution at Claire's was part of the ear-piercing package so there was nothing further to buy; since it was included, we used this to clean the piercings twice a day for those first six weeks or so. I believe the active ingredient in the solution was hydrogen peroxide, but I think either alcohol or peroxide would work to keep the ears clean and infection free.

Good luck, and congratulations to your daughter on this big step! :muah:

imported_Knitty_Kat
01-21-2007, 12:44 PM
Please, please, please do not go to Claire's! Before taking your daughter to get her ears pierced, read this article Here (http://www.namaii.com/suck/) about why piercing guns are unsafe and cause alot of short and long-term problems. I don't know what the laws are regarding parental consent and getting ears pierced at, say, a reputable tattoo/body piercing studio but that is the best way to go. They are not some sixteen year old girl wielding a piercing gun. They are trained professionals who only do piercings. They use a packaged, sterilized surgical steel needle to do the piercing and it actually hurts less than the gun.

CateKnits
01-21-2007, 12:49 PM
I've had mine pierced 7 times in one ear and 9 in the other with piercing guns at places like Claire's. I know the guns are bad for anything above just the lobe, but I didn't know that in high school when I got all these done and I never ended up with those icky bumps or got any infections.
My friend started working at one of those places and learned to pierce ears, so I went in and made her do mine because I know she's squeamish. :twisted: I haven't worn earrings in over a year, though, so my top holes are gone, I'm sure. I still have my very first ones that I got when I was three (at a kiosk in the mall), though! :cheering:

TeeJay
01-21-2007, 01:16 PM
I had my ears pierced at a mall store and they became infected and were not at the same angle--theywere at the same heighth but one was at an odd angle and a drop earring would turn into my face. I have since read about the unsanitary and blunt force of the gun and would never choose that option again. I looked on-line at one tatoo/piercing shop and they would not pierce younger than 10 years old, so I don't know if that is across the board or not. You do have to bring proof that you are the mom, so both kid and mom have to bring ID. I do trust their sanitation, equipment and training over the 16 year old girl at the mall. It is possible that you could find a decent piercing shop that would pierce your daughter's ears. I would also ask when you could come at a time they weren't too busy--they do have a different clientele compared to the mall!!

Jan in CA
01-21-2007, 01:55 PM
I think stores like Claires are fine as long as you follow up with the recommended treatment and take her to a doctor if you see any unusual redness or swelling.

I used the antiseptic they game me because alcohol is so drying. Either will work though.

Kirochka
01-21-2007, 02:25 PM
Find a piercing and/or tattoo place that's clean and reputable (I know, sounds like an oxymoron, but it's doable) and have it done with needles, not a piercing gun. My two cents'. I had my first two holes done by a doctor with a needle (long time ago... 1973, when I was 11), my third done at a jewelry store with a gun (1985), and my nostril piercing (2002, I think) by a needle at a piercing place. I second what's been said above about the dangers of gun piercing (although I actually had no trouble with mine).

jodstr2
01-21-2007, 02:57 PM
my first pair was done with a gun at a jewelry store (Zales) when I was 16. I used alcohol to clean the holes and surrounding area. no infection, no problems. the only thing is the woman who did them said I could take them out after 4 weeks. well, that didn't seem quite right to me, so I waited 2 more weeks.

I did my other 6 myself, with ice, sterile gloves, and by soaking my piercing studs in isopropyl alcohol first. I thankfully never got infected and did them pretty evenly and straight through, but I don't recommend anyone do this because of risk of infection or worse, like hep or HIV. took me a while but now I know why my mom had an absolute s*** fit when I did this.

the hesitation I would have about letting my young kids get pierced is I would worry about their personal hygiene and how rough they play, etc.

aethra
01-21-2007, 03:59 PM
I had my first pair done at 5 at a beauty salon, while I had my second in Claire's at 14. I definitely find the second pair are more prone to (mild) infection and will still close over fairly quickly if I leave earrings out. The first pair I never have any problems with...I've even worn paper clips in them before without any problems (don't ask).

This could of course be due to my mother taking better care of them when I was little than I took of them when I was 14... but take from it what you like.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-21-2007, 06:06 PM
I have a total of 14 ear piercings, and I've either gone to Claires, Afterthoughts (do they still exist?) or done them myself.

I recommend going to a professional piercer for other embellishments--eyebrow, tongue, etc-- but hopefully you're 8 year old DD isn't into that yet :teehee:

ecb
01-21-2007, 07:57 PM
all 3 of my girls got their ears done at a hair salon
I had theirs done between 6 and 10 months of age
the guy who did it was the owner of the shop, he would not allow ANY of the other people to do it, becasue he knew he would always keep it clean as he required the equiptment to be
he rubbed all surfaces with a Alcohol Swab after he sprayed full strength alcohol on the gun
he cleaned the ear lobe and marked both lobes
then hea cleaned them again (leaving a tiny bit of ink to mark the spot)

he was always surprized how quickly they stopped crying, becasue I nursed each of them when they got their ears pierced, they cried, but were unwilling to let go of the nip, and so just started nursing again to sooth themselves

we cleaned them with H2O2 for the first 10 days or so, then every week or so, and we also put neosporin (generic, NOT with the PLUS) each morning for the first week
we also put new posts in neosporin before putting them in
it makes them a bit slippery, and kills most germs living on the skin (and in the hole)

Funny story about having a baby Girl with pierced ears
She was about 9 or monthsold, and I had her in some blue and white striped osh kosh b-gosh overalls with pink thread, and a white turtle neck with a frillly edge again with pink thread

and this LITTLE old woman came up to me and with all the FURY she had in her started yelling at me "Do You think HE will appreciate you having had BOTH his ears pierced!?!?!"
she was SO angry, the only thing I could say was "No" and walk away
I am not sure I ever saw her again

Eloewien
01-21-2007, 08:24 PM
I didn't have any trouble with mine- done at claires about 15 years ago (wow.... that is crazy... didn't realize it was that long!!) and have never had a problem. However, I agree with those that say going to a professional is a better idea. I had trouble with a belly button piercing that was done at a professional shop where the piercer was an RN. As soon as I called him, he had me come in, and had me change to a titanium ring instead since it seemed to be extra sensitive. Once we changed that out, I never had a problem again.
It was just great to know that I had nothing to worry about... also good to know I could go back if I had trouble. You may want to see if there are similar locations in your area. I know several piercers and tattoo artists that are RN's around here. It's just an added level of safety :)

lissalue
01-21-2007, 09:34 PM
i got my 3 year old dd's done at walmart and have had no problem with them. it was about 6 months ago. they use a disposable gun, at least at mine they do. they opened it from a sealed package in front of me, it was already loaded with the stud, so they never touched any part of the gun except the handle. they peirced her ears, then threw it away in front of me too. she has had no infection, or any other problems, and the price for peircing included the antiseptic stuff. hope this helps in your decision.

itsjustmeghan
01-21-2007, 09:48 PM
mom pierced my ears when i was 3 at home with surgical needles (she's a nurse, and in those days they didn't care if you took some home to pierce your kids ears), ice and a potatoe. i wore string in my ears for the first 6 weeks so we could rotate them, then i got gold studs.
i've had 7 other earring piercings done with the gun since. and i'd have to say, i'd probably go to a piercing salon/tattoo parlor if i ever get anything pierced again. i had problems with infections rising up even though i was SUPER careful about cleaning them. also, i think the guns clamp on the earrings too tight so the piercings couldn't breath. now that they've healed, those holes aren't as straight as the ones mom did. they also have more of a bump where the hole is, presumably because the gun rips through the cells, where the needle does a cleaner cut so they heal nicer.
oh, and the piercing earring suck when it comes time to take them off. your ear will be healed up, but because of the locking mechanism they have on the back of the studs, it's SO hard to get those things off! mom had to cut one of mine off because it was locked on so tight, and after all the tugging my hole hurt again!

i did hydrogen peroxide for all my piercings, and neosporine on the post and around the hole. works wonders.

as "scary" as those tattoo guys look, the ones i've been to for my tattoos have such a wonderful bedside manner, and are SO careful about sanitation it's rediculous!

aylaanne
01-22-2007, 12:58 AM
I've gotten each of my ears pierced three times. The first time, I had both ears pierced with a gun at a store like Claire's and I was eight. I did not get an infection (although I did lose a LOT of earrings). The second time, I got them both done again in my lobes, with a gun at some boho shop in Harvard Square. I only wore my piercing studs for two months, without wearing anything in my previous piercing holes, to keep my mom from discovering it. It worked. I was 18.

The third time, I got the cartilage pierced on the top of my right ear, with a gun at a kiosk in a mall. I didn't get an infection or even a keloid (that bump that lots of people get behind their cartilage piercings). That took about six months to heal completely, and I bought a captive-bead ring from a piercer about six weeks in to replace the stud that I was pierced with (much more comfortable).

Finally, I had my cartilage pierced on my left ear just above the lobe on the inside. I had this done by a professional piercer with a surgical needle etc. It hurt like crazy, she didn't allow my partner to come back into the piercing area with me to hold my hand, and she was rude to me. I wish I had gone elsewhere.

Take your daughter to Claire's or somewhere similar. Ask them who the piercer will be, how many times they've done it, and how they clean their supplies. If you care for the piercing correctly, she shouldn't get an infection (make sure the jewelry is surgical steel, not nickel or gold plate). And I've never heard of anyone contracting HIV or hepatitis from a mall piercer, and I work in health care. I'll ask around, though, if you want.

Good luck! :cheering: :cheering:

DianaM
01-22-2007, 04:11 AM
:?? In Mexico is traditional to get girl's ears pierced at birth. Nurses do it, so my first set of ear piercings have been with me for almost 29 years.

The second set of ear piercings was done at a jewelry shop in Mexico. The bellypiercing at a tattoo/piercing parlor.

koolbreeze
01-22-2007, 09:53 AM
i got all 3 of my daughters done at the mall. the first one my cousin got them done cause i was too chicken to do it. she was 9 months the other 2 were 3 months and i got theirs done. no problems with none of them. now my 8 yo SON wants his done!!! :noway: i told him he could get his done when he turns 16...is that wrong???

Kaydee
01-22-2007, 10:59 AM
I got my ears peirced when I was 10 in a small jewelry store in my town, and they were fine, so problems at all. I got me second hole done at the same jewelry store, and they got infected so I took them out and let them close up. The first time I got them pierced my mom really helped to make sure that they were taken care of. The second time I was old enough to do it on my own, I just didn't do as good of a job as I should've. I'm sure that it'll be fine to get them done at Claire's as long as you make sure your DD keeps them clean. If you are worried though its always safe to go to a doc or a tattoo/piercing place that it reputable.

msoebel
01-22-2007, 11:32 AM
My grandmother took me to get my ears pierced when I was 5 at a beauty parlor.

My second set of holes was done by my cousin as she was going to beauty school. (I let the second hole in the left ear close though...)

I got them pierced again at Claire's (2nd hold in left ear, 3rd hole in right ear) when I was a freshman in college...and had super long hair that was forever becoming tangled in the earrings. Both of those holes were so sensitive for so long that I let them close.

Honestly...all 3 piercing experiences have been done with a gun...and the only problems have been my fault for not taking care of the holes.

If you decide to take your daughter to a tattoo parlor to get pierced...go in ahead of time and check it out. Some of those places can be skanky and not appropriate for young eyes (when I got my tattoo, I went into about 15 different parlors before finding one that felt comfortable to me...we were in Deep Ellum, Dallas, Texas at the time, so they were all pretty much side by side anyway...).

Misty

SandraEllen
01-22-2007, 01:02 PM
No matter what, I wouldn't let them do both of the ears at the same time. I watched them do this with a younger girl at a Claire's and one of the women missed her mark by a good 1/2 inch. terrible.

That being said, i got mine done at a claire's when I was 10. No problems. I would go there again to for another lobe piercing.

I also had a cartilage piercing done at claire's and i no longer have that one. I got a nasty bump on the back and then it started growing crooked (although i think it's from constantly tucking my hair behind my ear). If i were to do that one again, I would go to a piercing place.