PDA

View Full Version : OT: Wisdom tooth

caviar
01-22-2007, 08:53 PM
I just had one pulled today. It was a simple extraction, went well, and I'm definitely not complaining, but I was wondering if anyone had suggestions to minimize pain/swelling that worked for you. (Other than ice, which I've done, and knitting in front of Antiques Road show to ignore the pain, which I intend to do shortly.) Thanks,
Kirstin

Stiney
01-22-2007, 09:10 PM
I had all four of mine yanked at once. I was put under. I drooled a lot. And slept. And took vicodin. And held ice to my face. And whined. And ate chocolate pudding. And watched Ren & Stimpy. And took more vicodin. :rofl:

Some of mine were partially impacted, but I was a drooling idiot for three days, and the fourth I was a space cadet.

Jenelle
01-22-2007, 09:18 PM
I had all four of mine yanked at once. I was put under. I drooled a lot. And slept. And took vicodin. And held ice to my face. And whined. And ate chocolate pudding. And watched Ren & Stimpy. And took more vicodin. :rofl:

Same here!(except chocolate pudding made me puke :pout: )

One way to minimize pain is to alternate between warm and cold compresses. I had all mine taken out at once and they even had to take a piece of my jaw bone because of the size of them and the way they grew in. If the warm and cold compresses don't work, take IB prophen to help with the swelling. If the bleeding won't stop, put a tea bag over the area where they extracted the tooth.

Feel better soon! :heart:

psammeadred
01-22-2007, 09:24 PM
I had all four cut out a couple of years ago, and this is the BEST way to keep down the swelling (if you don't mind not leaving your house for a bit). I had almost no swelling at all!

Take an old bra, put ice packs in the, er, cups, and tie it over your head.

knitqueen
01-22-2007, 09:33 PM
I don't really have any advice, just wanted to say I feel your pain. I had mine done last June, all 4 of them, at the age of 30. It sucked. Bad. Lots of hugs to you! :hug: :hug: :hug:

simplethings
01-22-2007, 09:53 PM
i agree with the ibuprofen to reduce swelling. i had a prescription. my doctor also prescribed steroids... i'm not really sure what type, but they were to also reduce swelling. i had 3 of mine pulled in one day and with all the meds (plus vicodin) mixed with a lot of rest i was only swollen for the day of the surgery.
i followed the drug directions very precisely so ... i was actually never in any pain... just a little... high? :rofl: those little pills do wonders.

good luck!

MoniDew
01-22-2007, 10:06 PM
If you are open to the idea, you can try a homeopathic remedy called Arnica. Reduces swelling and pain. And, no drugs. (I'm a nutritionist/naturopath.) Take it when you've had nothing in your mouth other than water for 15-20 minutes and wait 15-20 before you eat or drink anything afterwards (except water.) You can repeat it as needed. No side effects.
________
DISCUSS VAPORIZERS (http://vaporizer.org/forum/vapor-lounge/)

TeeJay
01-22-2007, 10:10 PM
Congratulations on having that ordeal behind you! You are so brave!!!! :cheering: Now follow all advice from the dds. Like, only drool for first day or so, no "sucking" (negative pressure) when you spit, only drool, and no carbonated beverages for 3 days, no straws. You are tyring to do everything you can to get htat blood clot to form and stay so you don't have a dry socket. You'll probably feel fine tomorow. Both of my kiddos went out the same night!! If your DDS recommends gentle lavage with a syringe and water later on in the healing process, don't forget this, my daughter did and it infected and swelled up on the very night she had tickets to a rock concert!! Ahh :eyebrow: the joy of "natural consequences!!!! Not that I wanted something like that to happen, but doggone it I kept tellling her to do it and she didn't listen to me!

Silver
01-22-2007, 11:36 PM
I have to get all 4 of mine pulled soon. I'm totally putting it off...
And your posts aren't helping my courage AT ALL. :verysad:

psammeadred
01-22-2007, 11:53 PM
Silver, I had all four of my wisdom teeth cut out, and it was WAY easier than the other 14 teeth I've had pulled. I only had a teeny-tiny bit of pain the first day (and I am a total wimp with pain). Don't worry - just take lots of Motrin (my oral surgeon told me to take it before I was in pain, and keep taking it every 8 hours or so), use ice packs constantly, and you'll be just fine. Oh, and stock up on good movies and yummy teas to sip on.

knitqueen
01-23-2007, 12:17 AM
The worst part of mine wasn't the pain or the swelling - the worst was the nausea I had. I don't know what it was from or if it was just the flu coming at a REALLY bad time, but it was horrible. I was taking very little pain meds so it couldn't have been nausea from that. I heard though that being put under can make you nauseous afterwards so that could have been it. :shrug:

Jenelle
01-23-2007, 02:16 AM
I have to get all 4 of mine pulled soon. I'm totally putting it off...
And your posts aren't helping my courage AT ALL. :verysad:

Get it done while you can!

Yes, it may hurt for the first few days, but after you are completely healed you are so better off!

Did yours break through the gum yet or are they still in there?

MoniDew
01-23-2007, 06:17 AM
Silver, I had all four of my wisdom teeth cut out, and it was WAY easier than the other 14 teeth I've had pulled. I only had a teeny-tiny bit of pain the first day (and I am a total wimp with pain). Don't worry - just take lots of Motrin (my oral surgeon told me to take it before I was in pain, and keep taking it every 8 hours or so), use ice packs constantly, and you'll be just fine. Oh, and stock up on good movies and yummy teas to sip on.

Just remember that some medications actually discourage clotting/encourage bleeding! And NOT to take those BEFORE surgery - or you'll bleed heavily. Save the drugs for after, not before, okay? (or use the natural stuff, but now I've gone to meddling.)
________
Mercedes-Benz In Motorsport (http://www.mercedes-wiki.com/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_in_motorsport)

five_six
01-23-2007, 07:10 AM
ohhh god!

I started the night tired, but relatively happy, until i got to this thread, this loooonnngg and terrifying thread :shock:

I too, have been putting off getting my wisdom teeth pulled (all 4 need to come out), and i need to do it really soon on my uppers, before i risk losing the ones next to them as well, but i am soooo scared that it's gonna hurt like crazy, and i keep thinking, well, they've held up this long haven't they!!

Thanks, I'm off to contemplate my fate :verysad: your all such brave souls, we honour you men (and women)

blueeyes28
01-23-2007, 07:46 AM
Silver GET IT DONE ! I never had any problems with my wisdom teeth then one morning I woke up and I could not open my mouth enough to eat I had to push small pieces of food between my teeth and eat that way and my mouth ached so bad it turned out they were impacted and after they took them out I noticed that my jaw felt so much more relaxed than it ever did .

Dilly
01-23-2007, 07:50 AM
I had my wisdom teeth removed at the same time as having full jaw surgery so I dno't know what it feels like to just have wisdom teeth taken out. I was lucky enough to be in the hospital and receiving morphine for a day or two afterwards because of the extent of the full surgery.

One of the things I haven't seen mentioned yet is to stay sitting up. The same way you would keep a sprained ankle elevated, you want to keep your head elevated, even while sleeping. Propping yourself up with lots of pillows while sleeping will help keep swelling from forming and fluids from settling around your cheeks and gums. Also, trying to find activities that don't require you to look down while sitting or standing will help you out.

Feel better! The pain and discomfort will go away soon. :hug:

caviar
01-23-2007, 10:03 AM
Thanks for all the sage advice, guys. Actually I woke up this morning with no pain! :cheering: I still can't open my mouth very wide, and it's sore if I touch it, but to those of you who are still scared to get yours taken out...I have heard horror stories, but mine really hasn't been bad at all. Like if labor and delivery were a 10, simply pulling a wisdom tooth is like a 3 or 4. I know if you get all of them out at once it's harder, but I would still encourage it. This is the second one I've had out, both upper, and they can't really take out the lower ones right now because they've grown too close to a major nerve. If you let it go too long, you run the risk of big complications later. Maybe you could go your whole life without ever having them taken out, but if it's likely that you will need to have it done, the earlier the better.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. I still may try some of them to keep the swelling away. I particularly like the ice-bra idea. :teehee: Later,
Kirstin

DianaM
01-23-2007, 10:14 AM
You know when the dentist has to get impressions of your mouth they put that plate full of clay in your mouth?
Well, my mouth's so small that they even have trouble getting children sized plates in there.

So while my wisdowm teeth where in perfect extraction condition, the size of my mouth made it impossible to have 'em all out at the same time.
So I had to do one side, let it heal and then do the other.

I have a relatively hight pain tolerance, so I didn't take many drugs, probably some aspirin here and there to help me sleep well at night. I do remember a lot of soup and a looooooot of ice cream :teehee:

Kaydee
01-23-2007, 10:32 AM
I got all 4 of mine done at the same time and they were all severly impacted. I had to do it under IV sedation which is good because the next thing you know you're in a recovery room. The only thing I remember was being in the recovery room and they came in with my teeth because apparently during the surgery I asked to see my wisdom teeth. :teehee: I prepared for it to be horrible, and it really wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be (and I'm not good with pain), the first day was really the worse. For those of you putting it off, I'd just get it over and done with, its probably not going to be as bad as you think.

Stiney
01-23-2007, 10:43 AM
Seriously, seriously don't be scared. Yes, it hurts--but it won't hurt for very long. And it pays off so much.

I'm soooo glad I got it done.

My wisdom teeth had been irritating my gums as they were trying to grow, they were pushing against my other teeth, giving me jaw aches and head aches, which is not to mention the risks to other teeth (which would mean MORE surgery and MORE mouth pain.)

Silver
01-23-2007, 10:49 AM
Did yours break through the gum yet or are they still in there?

All four are all through the gums, but aren't straight and the rest of my teeth are very crowded. I can barely floss anymore. And the top right one has a cavity, I think. I'm not in pain, but I know I'd be better off with them all out and I can't put it off forever. *long dramatic sigh* http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons6/42.gif

Kaydee
01-23-2007, 11:28 AM
My wisdom teeth had been irritating my gums as they were trying to grow, they were pushing against my other teeth, giving me jaw aches and head aches, which is not to mention the risks to other teeth (which would mean MORE surgery and MORE mouth pain.)

Mine were causing pain too. I kept biting the insides of my cheeks because my wisdom teeth were through my gums back there. Even though I didn't want to get it done i figured a couple of days of pain was better than having the insides of my cheeks bleed all the time from biting them.

Boogs
01-23-2007, 12:41 PM
Another good reason to stay upright while sleeping is so that when you wake up your lips aren't sealed together with blood like mine were after having one of my wisdom teeth out.

That was a pleasant surprise...NOT!! :doh:

CarmenIbanez
01-23-2007, 01:00 PM
I think I am the resident bad teeth person. It seems I am always needing something done. Advil is my best friend. Just had that root canal experience on Friday and I didn't take any vicodin. Which is one of my favorite drugs! But advil works great for me for most things. Did anyone mention that you can usually take up to 800mg every six hours? Or if you are in pain and the advil alone isn't doing the trick, you can take tylenol in between advil doses. This works very well for fevers that won't stay down.

knitqueen
01-23-2007, 01:06 PM
Silver, you should get it done now rather than waiting any longer. I waited a LONG time - I put it off and put it off until I couldn't anymore. I had decay in one of the wisdom teeth because you just can't get back far enough to brush properly. My dentist said that she could put fillings in but would have to keep doing it and there was no point - in the long run it made much more sense to have them pulled. It was an awful 4 days or so but after that I was fine and am so glad now that I had it done. It's a tough decision though to push yourself to just get it over with - I know that first hand. :hug:

orcoastknitter
01-23-2007, 01:06 PM
I feel your pain :hug:

I had my wisdom teeth pulled over 20 years ago. I had them pulled at two separate times. The worst was having the bottoms pulled. I got dry socket (opposite of what it is). I was sick for 10 days. It was not fun.
My wounds wouldn't stop bleeding, I had almost a whole box of tea bags stuffed in my mouth (just kidding, it felt like it). I had to go to the dentist every other day to have some special packing put in the wounds to help heal.

Oh and I had this done on Valentines' Day!

auburnchick
01-23-2007, 02:47 PM
For those of you afraid to get it done...if you've had children, you CAN do this! It doesn't involve near the amount of pain. ;)

I had three removed at once. I experienced a bit of dry socket with one. My surgeon soaked gauze in clove oil (not garlic clove but the kind you put in ham). It TOTALLY helped. I went back for a couple of days to have him change the gauze out.

Before surgery, I mixed up some pudding (chocolate, of course) and whipped topping, filled dessert glasses with this concoction, and put them in the freezer. It was a nice, delicious way to numb everything after having the surgery. :thumbsup: