PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo! I figured out DPNS

Knitting_Guy
01-23-2007, 04:46 PM
I am taking a little break from the scarf because my curiosity is getting the better of me with regard to DPNS.

I'm using Silver's sock class to try and master DPNS. I'm really using the wrong needle size for the yarn and am trying to adapt accordingly. I am using US size 3 DPNS (only ones I have at the moment) with worsted weight yarn so I'm not sure how well it's going to turn out. Due to the smaller needle size I cast on 48 stitches instead of the 40 recommended for worsted weight with size 6 needles. I hope that works out.

I have some sport weight yarn, but not enough to complete a pair of socks. I'll save it until I can buy another skein of it.

I feel like I'm all thumbs with the DPNS, but I just completed my first round! I can definitely see why circulars are more popular as these things are very awkward to work with. But I'm going to stick with them and see how it goes.

I'm going to invest in some larger sizes soon as I want to make a hat too.

Vendie
01-23-2007, 04:51 PM
:cheering:

I don't know if this will actually help, but I always find the first couple of rounds awkward with dpns, and I've used them quite a bit. But I still prefer them to the 2-circular and magic loop methods. I don't know, just feels more organic to me. I do think that larger dpns are easier to work with than smaller dpns.

aylaanne
01-23-2007, 04:53 PM
OMG I love DPNs. Once you get the hang of them, it's really something. And, sock knitting gets so addicting! It's cool when you can cast something on and then wear a pair of socks the next week!

Andrea
01-23-2007, 04:54 PM
The woman who taught me how to knit told me if I prefer, just knit the first round or two on two needles, then join in the round. It might make it easier those first few rounds :shrug:

Knitting_Guy
01-23-2007, 05:21 PM
Thanks everyone. I think this is going to have to wait until either I get some larger DPNS or some more sport weight yarn. The worsted just isn't going to work on these tiny needles.

But at least now I know how it's done. :happydance:

aylaanne
01-23-2007, 06:17 PM
You could make a baby sock! http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/free_patterns/sock-pattern.php
Great way to cut your teeth on DPNs and on Socks, and very little yarn used!

Jan in CA
01-23-2007, 06:20 PM
It took me awhile to get used to them, but I do like them better now than doing magic loop or two circs. Those work, but there is too much moving around of stitches and stuff and with DPNs you just go around and around and around.. :teehee:

If gets easier after about 3 or 4 rows and if you find you are getting ladders you can move a couple of the stitches over to the next needle to place the join in a different spot. Just try and always start each needle with a knit stitch and it helps keep it tighter, too.

auburnchick
01-23-2007, 06:23 PM
Way to go, Mason!! :cheering:

I'll bet the break from the scarf was nice!

Stiney
01-23-2007, 07:05 PM
Thanks everyone. I think this is going to have to wait until either I get some larger DPNS or some more sport weight yarn. The worsted just isn't going to work on these tiny needles.

But at least now I know how it's done. :happydance:

Yeah, I bet the fabric would be waaaay too thick and not at all comfy. I kinda like working on DPN's. I watched the video for Magic Loop and was all :whoosh: I've got two circs down, but I like 1 circ or DPN's.

For the hat, you can start on circs and then transfer to DPN's. That should make joining easier, too.

Mama Bear
01-23-2007, 07:22 PM
Great job!

I love DPN's! I use them over circs any chance I get. The first couple of rows are hard though.

Mama Bear

ecuzzacrea
01-23-2007, 07:30 PM
Way to go!

I agree with the others - I've used DPNs quite a bit and the first couple of rounds are still awkward.

Knitting_Guy
01-23-2007, 11:20 PM
Thanks everyone. Even though the experiment was a total failure it did help me wrap my head around the idea of using DPNS. I'm looking forward to doing a project that way once I get the right yarn/needle size combination.

suzeeq
01-24-2007, 02:05 AM
You can use those #3s and the sport weight to practice on or make baby socks as someone suggested. If you know someone with a baby... But yep, 3s are just way too tight for worsted weight.

sue

Knitting_Guy
01-24-2007, 10:34 AM
You can use those #3s and the sport weight to practice on or make baby socks as someone suggested. If you know someone with a baby... But yep, 3s are just way too tight for worsted weight.

sue

True enough. I bought the sport weight with the intention of using it for socks, but being clueless I had no idea how much yarn was actually needed.

As I am a pretty goal oriented person by nature I think I'll actually learn more if I wait until I have enough to make the socks I want instead of just a practice project or baby socks.

The way I see it, it's all practice :doh:

Silver
01-24-2007, 10:37 AM
Mason, I'd love to hear about it if/when you finish a pair of socks. I'm glad my tutorial helped you learn to use DPNS at least!

suzeeq
01-24-2007, 11:08 AM
The way I see it, it's all practice :doh:

You're right about that...

sue

gingergal4l8r
01-24-2007, 12:01 PM
WTG Knitting Guy,
I tried the last few days to knit dpns.....still get a tangled mess, :wall:

auburnchick
01-24-2007, 01:28 PM
As I am a pretty goal oriented person by nature I think I'll actually learn more if I wait until I have enough to make the socks I want instead of just a practice project or baby socks.

This is exactly why my first sock attempt was something I could actually wear. Some people suggested that I do the class sock out of SKS, but I didn't want to "waste" my efforts on something that I couldn't use afterward. This fits in with my practical tendencies.

Now, on to studying for my geography test...YUCK!!!...I WANNA knit!!! :waah:

Yarnlady
01-25-2007, 08:35 AM
It took me awhile to get used to them, but I do like them better now than doing magic loop or two circs. Those work, but there is too much moving around of stitches and stuff and with DPNs you just go around and around and around.. :teehee: Me, too. I used the two circs cuz I didn't have the right sized DPNs and it works, but somehow, isn't as satisfying to me as going round and round with the DPNs. :teehee:
If gets easier after about 3 or 4 rows and if you find you are getting ladders you can move a couple of the stitches over to the next needle to place the join in a different spot. Just try and always start each needle with a knit stitch and it helps keep it tighter, too.
I make it a practice of knitting all the sts on the current needle, plus two from the next needle as I go around. It moves the spot where ladders may occur around on each needle and generally prevents any ladders from showing up. :heart:

Knitting_Guy
01-25-2007, 10:17 AM
Very useful tips on preventing ladders. I will definitely keep that in mind.

loveswildflowers
01-25-2007, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the tips on preventing ladders. I've been "playing around" with DPN's. For me right now, I still like the 2 circular method much better. It just feels more comfortable; but I want to stretch myself. Yarnlady, I'll be trying out your technique. And Andrea, your suggestion of starting out on the straights for a couple of rows is just what I need. Those first coupla rows are boogers!