PDA

View Full Version : OT: Jelly Belly

Knitting_Guy
01-24-2007, 07:59 PM
I pulled into this truck stop in Southern Washington a little while ago. I went inside to get my evening supplies which usually consists of a bottle of Gatorade and some sort of snack I can enjoy while watching a movie and knitting.

I saw that they had Jelly Belly jelly beans and snagged a bag of them. I used to eat them all the time but hadn't had any in a long while. I love the flavors they use.

Anybody else enjoy these delicious little morsels of sin?

dustinac
01-24-2007, 08:05 PM
I don't get them very often.. used to get them all the time when we would go to movies... of course then I couldn't see the colors and would always end up with a yucky popcorn :teehee: I like mixing them together too come up with new flavors...

SabrinaJL
01-24-2007, 08:05 PM
Yes! My favorite flavors are Dr. Pepper, Buttered Popcorn, Toasted Marshmallow and Watermelon. When we were living in Fresno, I wanted to take a trip up to the Jelly Belly factory in Fairfield, but we never got around to it. :(

brendajos
01-24-2007, 08:10 PM
*gasp* DUSTINA! I actually saw once that buttered popcorn is the most popular flavor!

I haven't gotten any in a long time cuz i like to mix my own and they are kinda expensive but i do love Jelly Bellies. Popcorn and coconut are two of my favorites.

dustinac
01-24-2007, 08:13 PM
:rofl: I'm not a big popcorn eater to begin with.. if its kettle corn I'll eat it.. but to me it always taste like burnt popcorn :ick:

most popular?? :shock:

letah75
01-24-2007, 08:17 PM
Personally, I like the cheap dollar store kind, that are pure tasteless sugar around gelitan.

But I have been to the Jelly Belly factory.

MarchingTwinkie3
01-24-2007, 08:18 PM
Buttered popcorn is one of my favourites. I also like tangerine, tutti frutti (tastes more like bubble gum to me), and Dr. Pepper. :D

brendajos
01-24-2007, 08:23 PM
Jelly Belly Facts
Jelly beans appeared in the United States during the Civil War, but the Herman Goelitz Company, a fifth-generation confectioner now called the Jelly Belly Candy Company, started making the official "Jelly Belly" candies in 1976. A California entrepreneur asked for a jelly bean with "natural" ingredients, and the Jelly Belly was born, candies distinct from all other jelly beans because of their natural-flavored centers.
People consume 14 billion Jelly Belly candies every year.
There are fifty "official" flavors at any time. New flavors debut as "Rookies."
The most popular flavors in the United States are buttered popcorn, very cherry, licorice, juicy pear and watermelon.
Ronald Reagan ordered 3.5 tons of Jelly Belly candies for his presidential inauguration, and the company invented the now-popular blueberry flavor so he could serve candies in red, white and blue.
The Jelly Belly factory also makes over a hundred other confections including candy corn, and they made the first gummi candies in the United States.

Jan in CA
01-24-2007, 08:55 PM
I like them, but not all the flavors. I also don't care for the popcorn, but I do like most of the fruity ones.

Have you ever tried Bertie Botts Every Flavor Beans (http://jellybelly.com/Cultures/en-US/OurCandy/BertieBottsEveryFlavorBeans/Bertie+Botts+Every+Flavor+Beans.htm)??! Gah!! You really have to be careful when you eat those! :ick: :teehee:

brendajos
01-24-2007, 09:02 PM
yes NEVER be fooled into accepting offers of Jelly Bellies when there is a new HP book or movie out. blech!

who do you suppose had the unfortunate job of having to eventually say "PERFECT! THAT IS EXACTLY HOW VOMIT TASTES!"

:shock:

Jan in CA
01-24-2007, 09:10 PM
:ick: :ick: :ick: :ick: :ick:

Knitting_Guy
01-24-2007, 09:16 PM
Ditto what Jan said!

:ick: :ick: :ick: :ick: :ick:

Belphoebe
01-24-2007, 09:37 PM
I usually keep a stash of the margarita flavored ones at work. I SWEAR you can taste the tequilla. :angelgrin:

Belphoebe
01-24-2007, 09:38 PM
I usually keep a stash of the margarita flavored ones at work. I SWEAR you can taste the tequilla. :angelgrin:

figaro
01-24-2007, 09:43 PM
I love Jelly Bellies! I do hide them from my girls, my reasoning is they are too young to appreciate them, I mean come on they like the big egg ones at Easter time! :rofl:

DragonTush
01-24-2007, 10:18 PM
You know...I saw the title of this thread and thought to myself * Crap! How'd he get a pic of my belly????* Imagine my relief when I found out it was about candy...which in noooo way contributed to my own little jelly belly.

BinkyKat
01-24-2007, 11:43 PM
I love the popcorn ones too, but my fave flavor is Pear...
If I am in a festive mood, i like to make up the combos' like pb&j, etc. But I don't chance it eating out of the assorted box you can get at the movies because I can't stand cinnamon candy (red hots, etc). When it's dark in the theater and you get a cinnamon cuz you can't tell if it's cherry... :ick:

Eloewien
01-25-2007, 01:35 AM
If you can get to the factory- they used to sell 2lb bags of "Belly Flops"-- the ones that weren't up to standard- for a whole lot cheaper. :) I used to live by the factory in california. The tours are a blast, too!

projectgal
01-25-2007, 09:57 AM
Jelly Bellies always remind me of my grandfather. He had quite a sweet tooth, and Jelly Bellies were one of his favorites. We lived in a small town in Arkansas, so whenever someone went to the "city", we always brought back Jelly Bellies for him.

Some of my last memories of him were in the hospital room, and even though he wasn't able to eat them, he always made sure the candy bowl was full for the nurses. The nurses on his floor loved them and would come in at all hours just to check on Mr. B and his candy bowl.

I don't know how long you've been driving knitting guy, but my grandfather own a truck repair/Thermo King repair shop from the 70's until he sold sometime around 1995. It was off I-40 in Arkansas.

stitchwitch
01-25-2007, 12:44 PM
Love them! I had some friends buy a four pound bag one time for me and I pigged out for weeks on them. The other day I was at my accountant's office and there was a big container of them right in front of me. I controlled myself but kept looking at it. :roflhard:

Knitting_Guy
01-25-2007, 01:03 PM
I don't know how long you've been driving knitting guy, but my grandfather own a truck repair/Thermo King repair shop from the 70's until he sold sometime around 1995. It was off I-40 in Arkansas.

I've been driving just a tad over 10 years so I just missed him.

cookworm
01-25-2007, 01:20 PM
I just had some yesterday--how funny! And I introduced my 21-month old daughter to them too (I'm a candy-pusher and enabler!). At first, she didn't really understand about them, as they're pretty chewy. She kept chewing, and chewing, and chewing, and making a weird face like, "When is this going to be done chewing?" But they're fruity and sweet and then she discovered that she loves them! Jelly Bellys are the only jelly bean I will eat. My very most favorite is the pear flavor...it's so juicy! I also like popcorn (although IMHO these would be awesome if they were a little salty), tutti fruity, and cherry. I'd like to try the jalepeno flavor some time--are they really hot?

I'd never heard of "Bertie Botts" and I just checked out the link, Jan--YUCK!!!!!

KathyinCali
01-25-2007, 01:25 PM
I order my jellie bellies from their website by the 5 lb. bags. I'm a belly snob. I only eat the popcorn, black licorice and red hot cinnamon...Wierd huh?

Skater
01-25-2007, 02:02 PM
I love them, but I don't get them because I enjoy them way, way too much. I try every possible flavor combination till I get all sugared out. Then I wait a bit and eat some more until they're gone :teehee:

StitchWitch, you showed GREAT restraint.

CamNMeg
01-25-2007, 02:09 PM
I love them as well! My favorite by far is juicy pear. I buy them in bulk when I can so I can buy only that flavor. Now you're making me crave them!

cookworm
01-25-2007, 02:16 PM
I love them as well! My favorite by far is juicy pear. I buy them in bulk when I can so I can buy only that flavor. Now you're making me crave them!

And how great is it that you can eat them while knitting and you don't have to worry about getting food residue on your project? :teehee: It's like they were meant to go together! :rofl:

Mariblue
01-25-2007, 02:24 PM
Oh, I :heart: jelly bellies. I've had the Bertie Bott's Beans too, just to say I'd tried them, but yes, they are pretty gross.
I used Jelly Bellies to bribe both my kids with potty training, and it worked like a charm!
I love the buttered popcorn, but agree that they'd be a little better if they were a tad salty.
Mariblue

Vendie
01-25-2007, 04:42 PM
Yuummmmmmmmmm Jelly Bellys! My SuperTarget sells them bulk! AND they carry my favorite flavour - Sour Grape. :drool:

aethra
01-25-2007, 05:22 PM
Hee! My sister had champagne glasses full of Jelly Belly beans on the tables at her wedding lunch, last October.

Trouble was, where I was seated, I was just within shot for the photos of them cutting the cake...and in every single photo from the cake-cutting, I'm there in the background stuffing my face with Jelly Belly beans... :doh:

mrs desert rain
01-25-2007, 05:48 PM
i :heart: jelly bellys! the bristol farms grocery store i went to in LA had a jelly belly stand. my favorite was cinnamon -- but sometimes i'd mix in a scoop of very cherry. i liked the surprise, i guess.

funny how candy makes ya do that! :heart:

mks22300
01-25-2007, 08:19 PM
I love Jelly Belly beans, especially very cherry. I don't care for the buttered popcorn ones myself. I've tired the Bertie Botts ones and you have to be very careful when you bite int one of them! You can tell the vomit flavoured one right way 'cause it smells gross! :ick:

brightspot
01-25-2007, 08:21 PM
I went to the factory several years ago and it was a fun tour. I love them, so I make myself wait for Costco to have a coupon for them. I really like the tabasco, jalepeno, & blueberry. (Yes, I must be different, lol). I have to find those at a candy store though.