PDA

View Full Version : Bamboo Yarn Sub?

HamaLee
01-26-2007, 03:19 PM
What can I use to substitute for the bamboo yarn in this (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter05/PATTbamboozelle.html) Knitty project?

I've never seen bamboo yarn...how does it feel/behave, is there anything similar? Are there other brands? I don't even know where this stuff is carried...

projectgal
01-26-2007, 04:26 PM
The bamboo I've seen is very soft and drapey. The pattern only calls for one skein, so it may be worth the splurge to get the bamboo. If not, I would think KP's Shine Sport might work.

bip
01-26-2007, 04:26 PM
People, please STOP!!! That is the most beautiful basket I have ever seen in my life.

The bamboo yarn I have seen is like silk. I wonder if you could get a similar body and shine with a mercerized or Egyptian cotton. Others here will better advise.

And I don't mean to instigate, but the Alchemy Bamboo is currently 40% off at Webs (www.yarn.com). Still almost $17/skein though, and they don't have all the colors.

HamaLee
01-26-2007, 04:30 PM
I just called the LYS near my parents and they carry two kinds of bamboo yarn--I'll have to stop by when I visit tonight!