PDA

View Full Version : Informative and Funny

kblue
01-27-2007, 07:55 AM
So I've been getting into the different kinds of yarn fibers and I always see mohair but I never new what it was :?? So I looked it up online and found out it was from an angora goat. Then I found out that there are angora rabbits too and the picture was TOO funny had to share it. :roflhard:

niffer
01-27-2007, 08:26 AM
I'm confused :?? Which is the rabbit?

And the second one - has that been tumble dried or felted? I can't tell.

XbelovedXoneX
01-27-2007, 09:00 AM
The second picture is the rabbit. Angora bunnies get sooo poofy when it's almost time for them to get their annual shearing!

misha rf
01-27-2007, 09:10 AM
Awwww...they're so cute!!

Yarnlady
01-27-2007, 10:44 AM
:teehee: One had to wonder what God had in mind when that rabbit was created....

psammeadred
01-27-2007, 10:45 AM
Wow...does the rabbit even have eyes? I just showed that picture to my dad, and he thought it was a sofa!

lauraknits
01-27-2007, 10:59 AM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Oh thanks, i needed that!

lissalue
01-27-2007, 11:00 AM
:teehee: One had to wonder what God had in mind when that rabbit was created....

i believe he knew there would be knitters who needed really great yarn :shrug:

those are really cute and funny! now i want some angora

or a rabbit

or both

:teehee:

sara_jayne
01-27-2007, 11:21 AM
:roflhard: :roflhard: Poor Bunny!!!!

If the goat had another strip of black at the end he'd be an oreo!! :rofl:

Belphoebe
01-27-2007, 11:31 AM
Remember tribbles from the original Star Trek? That poor, poor bunny! :roflhard:

kblue
01-27-2007, 11:40 AM
OH YA TRIBBLES!!! :roflhard: :roflhard: I think I use to have a tribble screen saver ha ha ha

dustinac
01-27-2007, 11:47 AM
:teehee: I want them both... they are so cute!!!

mwedzi
01-27-2007, 02:40 PM

Oh, that bunny is definitely the product of selective breeding by humans.
It reminds me of an Onion headline: "Pug also thinks it's cute that it can barely breathe". :teehee: The angora bunny version is "bunny also thinks it's cute that he can't see"!

I think "angora" did use to mean primarily angora goats. But I think now most people call the hair from angora goats "mohair" and from bunnies "angora". Anyone else know if this is right?

PurpleMittens
01-28-2007, 03:35 AM
I had no idea that rabbit hair was made into yarn. That rabbit looks hilarious. I hope it is a happy rabbit.

letah75
01-28-2007, 02:19 PM
I think my head actually twitched in shock when I saw that rabbit. Holy Moly!!! That thing is crazy looking.

Quiltlady
01-28-2007, 02:26 PM
I love the multi colored one. The other has a face only a mother could love. :muah:

MiaZilla
01-28-2007, 11:29 PM
That is not a fluffy bun. THIS (http://mfrost.typepad.com/cute_overload/2005/11/with_the_fro_im.html) is a fl00feh bun.

msoebel
01-29-2007, 10:32 AM
What cracks me up is that we, humans, actually groom those things. I mean, you wouldn't want all that hair to get tangled up and ratty...kind of a waste of hair growth, ya know.

I wonder if they ever braid bunny's hair to get it off the ground and out of it's little eyes? (And how many braids would THAT take? :?? )

Misty

Sajomaro
09-14-2007, 06:39 PM
I know this is an old thread but I just had to comment. The rabbits in both pictures (the one posted here and the one in the link) are English Angoras. There wool is considered the finest of all the Angora rabbits.
There is also a French Angora. These guys lucked out they don't have wool on their face, but their wool isn't as fine either.
Then of course there is the Giant Angora, they tend to look like furballs with eyes. With only fluff on the tuffs of their ears.
Then the Satin Angora, looks similar to a French Angora but feels different.
Of course, there are the mini breeds. The American Fuzzy Lop, the Jersey Wooly (looks like a French Angora). More recently they have been developing a breed called the LionHead (http://lionheadrabbit.net/). They are the cutest things but it would probably take a while to get any amount of wool from them.
It should be noted that most angora rabbits will release there wool and are usually plucked. The only breed that doesn't release the wool is the Giant Angora so it gets clipped/sheared.
The two pictures are of a Giant Angora and a Satin Angora. More information can be found here (http://www.arba.net/photo.htm).
Just a little bit of education for you guys. I was a 4-H rabbit member and leader.

Rorshach
09-14-2007, 07:25 PM
all I have to say about the rabbit, is gesundteit.